Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've never played this game before, and I think I'll be picking it up for Switch when it's released. I don't care about lower textures or missing shadows. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I took the plunge and now own and am 3 hours into this game.

I didn't know what I was doing on a micro level, and now that I've figured that out, I don't quite know what I'm doing on a macro level.

I have the quest objective to get copper now, so that's what I'll do. I'm enjoying it so far though I'm really used to Subnautica's controls and systems.

I'm still buying this on Switch when it's released; we have one laptop (that can run this game) and my wife wants to play it, too. There IS cross platform multiplayer isn't there?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, hey, so what's the deal with those sentries or whatever the gently caress they are? I finally found a safe and healthy planet, no environmental problems at all, and these things showed up right away when I landed.

I've learned not to really engage with them but do they ever go away? Do I need to be concerned with them?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So I'm playing Survival. Died a bunch. Learned how not to die. Made progress. Named an animal, discovered 3 planets.

My discoveries... Those are uploaded to some main server? For others to see? Is that how it works?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What are or will be my customization options for my suit, ship, and eventual flag and cape? Is it just picking from a list of premade patterns, or can I really customize it, like how decals worked in Forza and Fzero GX?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks!

Looking forward to being an obnoxious, hot pink space pirate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You can unlock different coloured jetpack and spaceship exhausts with Quicksilver (earned by missions found at the Anomaly, and spent in the same place), so you could be an obnoxious hot pink space pirate with a rainbow jetpack trail if you want.

Stop; I can only get so... excited..

This is wonderful news. I LOVE customization in games (who doesn't?), and the more the better. I hope a deeper system is introduced eventually but this all sounds great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

you'll have to do some hunting to find a hot pink spaceship but it's definitely possible!

I thought I could paint it myself?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

From someone who's 4 hours into the game just recently set down my first walls for a tiny base: generally how far off am I from my ultimate goal, which is building a freighter?

I don't care if it's a long time (kind of prefer that, makes it special), I just currently have no clue how to gauge the length of progression in this game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

You don't build a freighter, you get one for free after a few hyperjumps and killing some pirates attacking a freighter. You can build on it, though.

Understood. Thanks!

I got confused because I'm sort of half watching someone build theirs and the title of the video is 'How to build a freighter base', and I missed that last word there.

Does having a freighter base make planetary bases obsolete? Also, I'm assuming you can pilot your freighter freely?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, are there any ships that I can both pilot AND hang around inside of, doing things other than sitting in the cockpit?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

No, freighters are the only ships you can run around in and you can't directly pilot them.

Thanks, I figured but thought I'd ask to make sure.

That's my ultimate space game wish: a flying, pilot-able Space House.

Edit: No, I don't want to hear about Star Citizen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Have you given Subnautica a try? It's underwater exploration instead of space, but you can get a sweet sub that acts as a mobile base.

Oh, I'm a huge Subnautica nerd (I even love BZ!) and I was looking for something that offered "cyclops, but way bigger, and in space".

However, looking up X4, I don't know what it is about it, but it just feels kind of unappealing to me. I can't really describe why I feel that way, maybe it just comes off (at least from the trailer) to be very impersonal.

When it comes down to it, despite the lack of walkable space ships, NMS is really giving me everything else that I want, so I think I'm good. But I appreciate all of your help!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rodents of unusual size?

I don't think they exist :smug:

Edit: I have never, ever, been so goddamned enthralled with a game more than this. Holy poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 25, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Please, please, please let 4.0 allow for walkable ships :ohdear:

Hahaha, I say this, and yet I've only experienced like... 10% of the content so far. Still, I'd love this.

Give me a floating home.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Does anyone have a link to a good series of videos that review and rundown each major content patch/addition for this game? I only started playing last week, and while I'm familiar with what Outlaws added, I'd love to learn, specially, what all the other updates did, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Do they have to be videos? Because the website has notes on every patch:
https://www.nomanssky.com/news/

Thanks! I've actually spent a shockingly low amount of time on the official site. I was asking about videos so I could half-watch them while I work, but I'll absolutely be checking the site for the info later.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Weird... For me, the first time I played, it WAS 'S', and now it's 'E'.

I don't recall changing this.

Edit: will there be a way, eventually, for me to always have access to my storage crates, no matter where I am? There's already an upgrade or device that lets me access ship storage, but my explorer's cargo space isn't that big yet.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 26, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Help! I stole a gravitino ball and now these loving sentinels won't leave me alone!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well poo poo, I already left the atmosphere, and they're not stopping.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, I lost them, but I also, in my panic, disposed of the ball.

Next time, I'll get 'em.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You want to break atmosphere, kill the first wave, then hyperdrive the gently caress away.

I somehow got away, and even though I could have sworn I threw away the ball, I still had it, or one, and sold it later.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks all! Good to know.

Also, I have a few questions about something I experienced.

I'm on my main planet, and I go and randomly find a distress signal, complete with a broken down ship that's a class higher than mine. I get it, and I left a marker there, since I tried to work out a teleport system to it, as I wanted to remember where it was and didn't trust myself to not set another beacon down and lose the one I set next to the broken ship.

I'm sure by now, you're all seeing my idiocy; I didn't realize I could summon it once I 'register' it as mine. But here's the weird thing; I couldn't summon it until I left the planet, and went to a space station and then returned. Same with my normal ship when it's out of fuel. Either that, or as long as it's not my primary ship, I seem to be able to summon it all I want. Primary ship? Better have fuel to summon it. Isn't that a huge oversight?

Also, I'm playing on survival and died twice, and could find my grave either time. I didn't even die far from where I had saved (and therefore where I respawned. What's the deal?

Also also, holy poo poo, I know it's not permadeath, but don't loving die. All of my suit gear was busted and literally everything that I had on me was gone. Sucks, though I genuinely prefer a penalty to death, rather that a 'whoopsie! Ya died! That's ok!' non-reaction.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know there are snow planets, but are there also blizzards?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh yes. That's an extreme weather snow planet.

Blizzards are also the storm event for snow planets if you want to enjoy the view a little longer

Fuuuuuck yes.

I'm from and live in eastern Canada, and I have no idea why I'd want freezing temps and poo poo loads of snow virtually, but I do.

Now to find a snow planet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Survival leaves no grave markers.

Ah, did they used to?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm a bit confused by the inventory menu and interface, namely why is there a technology section, if I can install mods and upgrades in any slot?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, I completely forgot that placement is a thing that's important, like building rooms in XCOM. Thanks for that, and the explanations, both of you.

Also, I would love an auto sorting button.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, it's taking a while to get this discovered ship fixed up. Don't get me wrong, I love it all, but like... Wow. More poo poo on it is broken than all of the mods and upgrades on my original ship.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just park it in your garage freighter and work on it on the weekends like a real dad

I'm gonna need a freighter first, but yeah, this is the plan in between story missions.

I really wish I could paint it. Designing it, I don't care about so much, but painting and maybe adding decals? Yes pls.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

hello games add the ship painting tool from rebel galaxy outlaw you cowards

I haven't played much of that, but how is the painting in that game?

Edit: hold the gently caress on.... You can make your own music in NMS?!?

For real??

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 29, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Libluini posted:

Yes. You can also build a racing track for your vehicles.

Holy poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Woo! :toot: I now own a freighter, but have zero idea what to do with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, learned the hard (but early) way not to terraform and then place down a base.

Everything was fine until I went REALLY far away and visited more than 2 planets before returning home. Game was like "What terraforming? Please enjoy your semi-subterranian base!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone here play on more than one platform? Do you essentially get a different NMS friend code per platform? I know character save and progression isn't something you can carry over, but I would've hoped that you could at least unify your online presence.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there an exosuit upgrade that lets me move inventory directly to my freighter? I only owned a freighter for about an hour in Survival before restarting in Normal (my friend plays in that, so I wanted to join up, plus wow is it way less tedious).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I desperately want a shortcut for photomode. :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I renamed my first Radiant Pillar to 'Void Haven', trying to be all cool, thinking that all ships are procedurally generated, not realizing your first one doesn't seem to be. That was in survival, and it was names after my feeling of safety inside my ship against the vastness of space.

I restarted my game in Normal, and was eating nougat at the time. So I named THAT starter ship "El Nougato" and much prefer that.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 7, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd buy NMS multitool and spaceship merch.

I'd love an accurately-scaled multitool. Bonus points if it actually did stuff like check temperatures, distance, maybe it could even be a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Libluini posted:

I'm not sure that's a good idea. There's so much flora and minerals on some planets your UI would just be a solid wall of annoying signals.

Though they could add an audio signal instead, to keep the clutter down.

Maybe be able to set up a filter that only alerts you of the nearest unscanned thing and only when you've scanned over 50 or maybe 75% of all flora/fauna/minerals.