Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've just started the second expedition, but having completed the first one makes certain things easier since you can just pick up your gold ship and ignore the lovely starting shuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ugh great, I've run into the "Inventory Full" bug while claiming the reward for Phase 2. Had to back out of the ship reward because I didn't want to swap out my gold vector and now I can't claim anything else.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really should give Expeditions a shot they sound kinda fun and these rewards look cool. Does this stuff carry over or does everything reset between?

Cosmetic and special rewards like unique ship types carry over into other games/saves - you can access them via the Quicksilver Synthesis Companion in the Nexus. Each expedition is its own thing though, you start a new save and get a randomised character, a crappy ship, and a list of things to do.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I once found a traveller's grave that someone had built a base on then encased in walls.

That's a dick move.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

it'd be nice if the game remembered terrain edits in your bases at all tbh, sick of having a basement full of dirt

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I completed the Living Ship mission, didn't want to swap my existing ship, went to go get one, came back, the living ship was replaced by a standard crashed ship, even though the living ship marker was still there :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

More critters please!

I made friends with this weird dog

I think a wizard bought a plush toy to life

pretty sure I saw this on Star Trek once

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Welp the living ship just disappeared and I got the banner title for completing the quest so I guess I wasted a lot of time and resources. :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Go ahead and save editor you one if it seems like the quest is bugged beyond your control.

I don't really need a living ship, it just makes playing the game feel more pointless than usual.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Devor posted:

The freighter acts like a mobile base that you can summon to your mini-ship's location in space, for free, whenever you want. There's not really a driving need to use your freighter for warping, unless it has better warp upgrades than your mini-ship (like in one of the recent expeditions). Just warp your mini-ship to the system, and if you need your freighter, summon it in using the same menu where you access the galaxy map.

I think the freighter needs the upgraded engine type to be able to be summoned to non-yellow stars tho

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've perma-broken the Horitculturalist mission that wants me to grow Gravitino balls but the terrain respawned inside my base and covered him anyway so

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I love building bases but never touch my Freighter apart from throwing in a teleport and some storage. Let me go full custom with it, build rooms with glass windows surrounding the hangar bay, or entirely strip out the interior apart from floating walkways and staircases connecting rooms.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I was going to ask if there was a little hub where goons tried to build near or anything like that.

It could be done, all we need are some portal coordinates

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

What does multi look like in this game? Is there a cohesive story? Can me and a buddy just jump into our own instance like Raft or factorio?

You start a game and your buddy can join on you. Technically you share the same universe as everyone else playing the game but in practice I think systems are their own little instances that people join if there are other players in that location. Also the galaxy is huge so the chances of accidentally running into anyone else outside of the Expedition events is slim to none.

There is some story in various plot lines accessed from the Anomaly but you can ignore it if you like and just fly around doing stuff.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I generally build one large base wherever I start, and stash interesting stuff I find there. Then anything else is just a little shack and a solar powered portal, so I can zip between planets/places of interest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Cool thanks for the advice. I’ll check that out. That sounds like it might be right up my alley.

tbh it would be neat to have a little Goonsystem to hang out in

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m game, it would be leagues better then random redditors. Any ideas how to get the ball rolling?

Easiest way might be to find a planet with a portal and post the address. Then anyone who finds + powers up a portal can teleport there and build base teleporters to allow easy access from their home system.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 23, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Sounds like a plan. I meant to ask is the MP/CO-OP cross platform or platform locked?

Nope! I'm on PC and I've grouped up with console players. If you want I'll go exploring for an interesting portal planet later, I have one on my starting world but that place is a boring dustbowl.

EDIT: what am I talking about I can literally just power up my existing portal and enter a random address

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 23, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If anyone wants a shared point to build bases and generally bimble about on, I've built a little base here:

http://nmsportals.github.io/#2051DA97F914

You'll need to find a portal and power up the glyfs to get there. It's a rather pleasant purple world, I've made a basic base on it but that's about it (I haven't really explored or named the planets in the system)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 24, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks! This should work quite nicely…well once I get a portal and figure out how to use it. lol

But seriously this is cool and I look forward to chilling at the Goon Eisley Spaceport. :)

Just a heads up that base building in NMS is sort of janky and rigged up to have one base per player per planet

https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Base_building

No Man's Sky Wiki posted:

Only one base per player will be visible per planet or moon to other players who are not in a lobby with the base owner. The most recently uploaded base will be the one that appears to other players. Uploading a different base on that planet or moon will cause that base to appear instead of one that previously appeared to others.

I wish they'd include shared base building

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I got lucky and found a settlement on a lovely grass world full of luminescent flying saucer creatures with only occasional boiling storms. The settlement system seems like mostly busywork at the moment, but it's sort of relaxing so whatever.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think it's more like a good start that they can build on.

But yeah, sometimes it's super broken.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I've been clock scumming the settlement path, and after building the overseer hut, and settling a dispute, doing one other citizen task, and building the marketplace, nothing crops up.

Every time I fast forward whether it's a day, week, or months, the only thing to do is to kill some sentinels and there's nothing else to do with the settlement.

That's weird, I've had several disputes within the time it's taken to build the first building (a warehouse for me).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

Is this your first settlement? I moved mine a couple times, I got events ok on my first two, but my current has zero events since making the overseer's office. I wonder if the bug is caused by switching settlements.

Yeah, first settlement. I'm hoping for more building opportunities or literally anything to up productivity because right now that village is in SO much debt.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Damnit, that short range teleporters not needing power bug was extremely useful sometimes.
Do you know what this game needs? Options for vertical traversal that aren't gigantic pains in the rear end.

Gimme some jump pads.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'd like a Settlement mission that's basically "drive this truck from your settlement to another settlement" (or trade depot or whatever), it'd give you an excuse to traverse the planet, there could be possible attacks en-route, etc.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

No thanks, the exocraft missions where you have to drive to a place with a time limit are boring.

Oh I don't want a time limit, I want No Man's Sky Truck Simulator. Just a nice relaxing drive, maybe punctuated by attacks by bandits.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah well I spawned by a signal mast, activated it, found a settlement, which then broke the "use a signal booster" quest. So now I have to travel a million miles away and hope it detects another one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

...I can't build the minotaur bay because they're limited to 5 per planet?

EDIT: I was extremely lucky that a nearby base had one I could summon

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 10, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Got everything but the Rocketman milestone now. I've tried jumping off the highest mountain I can find (with all the jetpack upgrades including the "recharge while falling" one) which didn't work. Next I think I'll try just boosting as high as possible from the same peak and hope for enough fall/recharge time

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yes but that is extremely boring, I want to jump off a mountain

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

My current troubles are this one and the one demanding flight acrobatics with your ship near the ground. But both counters remain at zero regardless of what I'm doing, I think those missions may be bugged.

I found with that one the best thing to do is hug the water, it gives you consistent low elevation.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CheeseSpawn posted:

This can be cheesed with building two high wall and roof in your base and abusing the jetpack against the wall.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yes but that is extremely boring, I want to jump off a mountain

DelphiAegis posted:

I got this by doing the peak challenge, since apparently if you're near land your jetpack is infinite. The peaks to get the "climb a mountain over 650u" are basically points so you're just boosting for full minutes going straight up hugging the "ground".

Interesting! I was boosting up the side of the mountain while climbing it and the time counter kept resetting, I guess it counted touching the mountain as landing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

meanwhile, I have a Cunning Plan

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 16, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Personally I love all the anomalous planets, and like to build weird poo poo on them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

It would probably be to deeply unfun. Remember how your hazard protection drains at around +100 °C temperatures? Now imagine it drains 4x faster. Also, the effect of a highly acidic atmosphere has to be added in. 8x faster. Also, huge pressure. 16x faster.

Good luck keeping yourself alive! Very "fun".

Just add craftable armour types for Hyper Extreme Hazard Planets, or make them accessible via questline. Gimme more dressup options for my digital dolls, but give me a reason to use them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

This is amazing.

Thanks! The interior is a Glitch Museum

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

95% of those "anomalies" are basically screenshot/picture fodder, the blown up freighters sometimes have some cargo floating around that you can shoot for a couple minerals but thats it

The best one is the moon-sized skull.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I exclusively use the Nomad (floaty small craft) because you can just bomb over every terrain type at top speed. Its only real downside is the lack of environmental protection.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arghy posted:

It's kinda nuts how i'm choosing stars off the beaten path and finding out others have gotten there first AND scanned everything. I really hope the reward goes across my characters because i already have a save i've invested a ton in so having another char with unique stuff isn't really my jam. Gonna be pissed if i find out i wasted 6+ hours on a char i don't even want haha.

I don't remember having to scan unique stuff for the latest expedition, but expedition rewards do carry over between saves (but stuff bought with quicksilver doesn't)