Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Azhais posted:

Get a plasma launcher, blast through the doors before they even get to you, then just wait them out inside :v:

Or just blast the door from your ship in a strafing run, maybe accidentally getting the sentinels as well with splash damage from the rockets in the process.

Then you can just wait out the search timer by flying like 300u away and just doing dumb circles in the air while holding down the brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

crazystray posted:

I made a post a few pages back about the Cryo-Pump thing. You are on your way to easy space riches. Talk to all of the ships that land at the station, you will easily find the Hot Ice and Thermic Condensate you need to make Cryo-Pumps.

They have slightly fixed this and the sell price will drop a bit after 50+ pumps. Luckily that is only per station so you can warp and do it again for more profits. Should make you 50-100mil in 20 minutes.

So you can confirm they didn't change the profit margins, just how quickly the market saturates?

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Powershift posted:

How long until somebody makes whiterun from skyrim

Do you get to the Space Anomaly very often?

Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Noctone posted:

Randomly found an outpost the other night that was selling an S-class multi-tool but didn't have the money for it, now I'm rolling in cash and can't find anything better than B-class. >:[

So allegedly the Visor now shows actual longitude and latitude when you use it--at least that was in the 1.5 patch notes. Has anyone here tried using that to get back to precise places on planets? I just always forget it's a possible option before getting distracted by something else.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

ArbitraryC posted:

1. I can't really seem to advance in buyable tech for my exosuit/ship/module
I'm like moderately developed and just kinda putting along with my base stuff but even new galaxies don't offer anything new in the tech stores, it's all just greyed out already have bottom tier recipes. Is this normal and if so, what are the point of nanites, I got thousands of em and nothing to purchase.

So it used to be that there were three tiers of upgrades: Sigma, Theta, and Tau, and you had to warp alllllover the galaxy to finally find the one vendor that was seeded to sell Shield Generator Theta or Scan Booster Sigma or whatever to get the trifecta: the named upgrades can't be installed multiple times.

Since this was annoying, they went to procedurally-generated modules for NEXT: You basically just say "I want a lovely/nice/amazing upgrade for <system>", pay the ~80-400 nanites, and then install it. No name collisions, no endless hunting (you still have to hunt a bit, but I feel like you'll find an S-class upgrade for everything between four random systems). The "procedural generation" is really just "a name that is not a name for a thing already in your inventory" and what seems like 2% variance on stats for the tier.

For the ease of increased accessibility, the tradeoff is: now you can't transfer between ships/multi-tools when you want.

Honestly, I'll take this deal every time, because I'm essentially giving up time accruing nanites, which is generally a passive reward thing, versus time spent actively farming for warp cells, finding new systems, and interacting with vendors. And even if you knew the recipes back in <= 1.4, you still needed to have to have a lot of exotic poo poo laying around for the S-tier items, like 500 Omegon or 400 Kelp Bulbs or 5 Atlas Vibrators, so it's not like All Blueprints All The Time didn't cost you just as much as having disposable modules.

So not having a lot of blueprints (versus modules) is the new normal, and rewards you for going out and doing things like missions and exploring, instead of just pew-pewing rocks.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Ugh, it seems like they patched out the abundance of Hot Ice and Thermic Condensate, so the Cryo Pump road to riches isn't nearly as feasible. Presumably this goes for Superconductors on up as well, but I haven't been looking for Enriched Carbon or Semiconductors lately at terminals.

Thankfully I spent a few hours on Sunday building up $300M because the freighter attack event popped last night, and I ended up saving a massive A-class star destroyer last night that ran about $110M.

I was also jumping with my dedicated Explorer ship, with nothing but a pulse cannon and wow, space combat really is a joke now.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Lastdancer posted:

Are Drop Pod Data items supposed to stay in your inventory after you use them? I used to have like 6 but sold all but one because they never decreased after I input one into a signal booster. Just been exploring the galaxy and using my one drop pod data over and over

They are. When I first started using them they didn't, but now it does. I think it started happening once I had used Navigation Data.

Also no matter what I've had in my ship, a pirate scan always turned up the Drop Pod Location as my valuable cargo, so I guess NPCs are just as hard up for inventory slots as we are.

PROTIP: Whenever you use a drop pod terminal, drop a signal booster and immediately just find "nearby structures", the option that doesn't take data. It will find a second drop pod every single time, probably as a mea culpa for you getting directed to one that was already used. After you use the second one, though, they'll start ping-ponging between each other, so you'll have to fly away for a while before the trick works again.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

No Man's Dwarf Fortress lookin' good.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

precision posted:

What platform? On PS4 I can still buy all those things. It's just very random. It took me a while last night to find a place selling Semiconductors, but I made 150 million and bought my own Star Destroyer.

PC. They may have just changed which systems have things, but I saw a lot of complaints on Reddit and they definitely wiped them from systems I had been using the night before (replaced with like, Herox or Lemmium). I'm definitely hoarding every single piece I see from now on.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
So I spent too much time nanite hunting and am just getting around to building my bases.

Are the individual walls and floors now the equivalent of the cuboid room of old? I'm getting ready to start doing hydroponics and I don't want to build a huge warehouse by hand if I don't have to.

It seems like the freighters still do rooms/corridors like the old way, but I never trusted freighter bases.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm back from vacation and picked the game back up and I feel like at the end of the day, the game has the same problem it by all accounts did at launch - there's not enough game.

I don't get why this is a criticism leveled at the game itself, so much as someone's decision to (continue to) play it. Like, some concepts or genres just aren't going to be plot-heavy. It feels like saying the problem with a flight simulator game is that it doesn't offer much to do beyond flying a plane from one airport to another.

Edit: nevermind, I get it, there's not enough variety. That's fair. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hello Games just literally couldn't hire enough artists to make more assets because, well, everyone sorta poo poo on the game when it came out, so there wasn't enough revenue. Hopefully NEXT lets them hire a couple more people to spruce up the flora and fauna generator.

I think the biggest problem they have is that the entire crafting system is built around six root biomes; they really handcuff themselves with that IMO, because in that case each biome is a similar-looking bag of Solanium/Phosphorus/Sulphurine or whatever.

umbrage fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2018

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
I've been trying to round out my frigate fleet, and I just cannot seem to find any more trade ships. Anyone feel like they spawn in certain economies/races/star systems? I've been puttering around rich systems trying to make them spawn but it's just fighters, explorers, and support for days. I'm assuming it's just RNG but I wanted to check.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pretty much the one part of stasis device you really need farming for is the circuit boards and living glass (frost crystals/solanium/cactus flesh/star bulb) and setting up those in the needed quantity doesn't take long at all.

Yeah, gentle reminder: plant mats fluff with their associated biome deposits (e.g. Star Bulb + Paraffinium, Solanium + Phosphorus) at 1:2 in a refiner, and you can buy 4k+ of those deposits at any rich system's star base. Just keep a seed amount around, and you'll produce 2x of the amount you buy in a matter of minutes.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Yeah I'm bummed that I just threw away (or pointlessly sold) so many stacks of Pugneum before finding out that it fluffs Carbon and Ferrite. I hate shooting rocks and trees, but I love dropping grenades on walkers. It always felt like the amounts they gave were pointlessly excessive but obviously it's really useful for building/crafting.

Also the image charts are nice but I like referring to this wiki because you can CTRL+F the page to find relevant recipes by material.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Atmosphere Collectors are definitely portable tech and you should be able to pick them up just like a save point.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

...! posted:

Saved a Star Destroyer from pirates but didn't have quite enough credits to buy it. Now I can't; the dialogue won't repeat. :sigh:

The pirate attack scenario is triggered on your next jump after some number of wall clock hours (I think it was nine? I don't quite remember).

So if it's been a while since you've jumped, jump back to the same system you found the Star Destroyer; it'll be the same freighter again. It's seeded just like everything else.

This is also how you go shopping for the one you want: you just wait until the time has passed and just start jumping to every system around until you find one you like. If you don't like what you see, just reload your game and jump again to a different system.

Mind, the *class* of the freighter is random(ly distributed) so if you find one you like, but it's a C class or whatever, you'll have jump into the same system again to re-roll the class. Since you have to leave the ship to check the class, though, this clobbers your auto-save, so make so to do a manual save before you start taking test drives.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
After selling even a single Stasis Chamber or Fusion Ignitor, I don't know why anyone ever extracts basic or localized elements ever again, instead of buying stacks of 4000+ from every pilot and trade terminal in a wealthy system. The time savings alone is worth it. Maybe I'm just the bougiest Traveler ever, dining out (I guess it's more like Seamless, if the ships are flying to me) for Phosphorus or Oxygen instead of pew-pewing it out of the ground like some plebe.

Although I'm also at the point where I think it's much more time-efficient for me to just buy giant stacks of Ammonia to refine infinite Fungal Mould, but here I am, still building bio-domes...

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Uppa posted:

I’ve seen many fighters I think are gorgeous, but every time I buy one I regret it. The exotics are faster, more maneuverable, prettier (subjective I know) and in VR at least, have much better visibility from the cockpit. Do any other ships compete with the exotics now that inventory is a level playing field?

They're actually planning to nerf the exotics soon (if they haven't already) so that they're not all S-levels of stats, but rather all A-levels, so that technically the other classes have a higher ceiling on the S-tier. Exotics are still probably a better value as a daily driver though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

dennyk posted:

As someone who always builds in stone/concrete, I wish there was a quicker way to get silicate powder than spending ages tunneling through the planetary crust.

The trick is to go to the base of a hill, switch to Flatten mode, and just sweep back and forth like a scythe into the hillside. Each "shot" takes out the entire column of earth above it in one go, no matter how high, crediting you for the total volume. It's way faster than playing ant farm.