Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i played this game a bit at launch and thought it sucked poo poo, i came back to it thanks to it being on gamepass and it kicked rear end. being a huge achievement whore i played on hardcore for my first playthrough and it was a blast.

it's really impressive the turnaround this game has had post-launch and it's prolly gonna remain my chill-out game for a good while. they really gotta fix the bug where some underwater species immediately register as extinct and gently caress up your ability to 100% a planet though, that drives me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

what's everyone's preferred method of play? i started a new game in permadeath and i'm just super slowboating around the galaxy, spending entirely too long on each planet trying to track down that last rare underground creature (seriously gently caress these things). i haven't even built a real base yet, just the crappy shack for the early mission. i sorta want to reach the last galaxy in permadeath mode just to say i've done it, but at this rate i'll be dead irl before i get there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my first permadeath attempt a few months back ended when i apparently fell off too steep a hill. i thought i was just running down it until i just died outta nowhere. my next death was to a very big, very mean animal.

i made it to the center of the galaxy on the next permadeath attempt a while after and still have that save, but i want to take it nice and slow this time and just explore and chill this time, at least for now. i expect to eat it at some point, but oh well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my base building strategy is to build a small base on my starting planet and then set out to find a system i like and build a main base there and a few ouposts on the other planets, then start plopping small mining outposts on worlds with desirable resources.

i will prolly start building one decent-sized base per galaxy if i don't get deaded in a dumb way before leaving euclid.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rick posted:

I do hope they do some work to ships like people were talking about a few pages ago. I wish flying was either more fun or that it could be more automated, either way would work for me.

agreed. namely, the combat is bland and unengaging, which is my biggest complaint. even against the hardest enemies, using the default lasers with no upgrades i can take them easily. maybe make what kind of weapon is most effective against the enemy (and you) tied to ship type, ie fighters are weak to missiles and haulers are weak to beams or whatever, and also just overhaul the spaceflight mechanics, let us have upgrades for agility that come at the cost of shielding and vice versa, etc. i don't need it to be like, tie fighter levels of depth or anything, but i also don't want it to feel as extraneous and pointless as the arwing sections from starfox adventures.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah

also exploration ships and shuttles should be made more useful, i dunno why you'd ever choose either of them over a fighter or a hauler beyond finding a decent one early either cheap or crashed to upgrade to from your starter

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

victrix posted:

I've been waiting for a mini expansion to focus solely on combat but I'm increasingly thinking it's not something they care about much

the exploration is the real meat of the game so if they are ignoring space combat for, for example, multi-biome planets or larger solar systems or whatever, then sure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Khanstant posted:

The progression on those storage boxes is also whack as gently caress. I built a bunch on my nice base, then progressed the story some more, at which point they locked the ability to build them until I progressed whatever questline to unlock them. Which also meant I had wasted my nanites or whatever on unlocking them in the first place.

on my last run i broke the entire expanding the base questline because i became obsessed with attacking manufacturing facilities to plunder blueprints from and ran into a wall where it wanted me to learn a recipe i already had learned and nothing i did fixed that

e: also after being to almost 30 red star systems, i finally found one that has a space station. not only that, it has *2* planets with activated cadmium. guess that's gonna be my new home system, hot drat.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 18, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

not being able to get in on planet goon because i'm playing permadeath (permadeath and survival each have their own separate universes to standard) is the first time i've actually regretted playing on permadeath lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agoat posted:

I thought about doing a permadeath save. It'd be cool if we all got together in one system on permadeath to see how it plays out.

h*ck yes

i was thinking of starting over in permadeath to experience all this new stuff from the outset instead of in my 60-something hour permadeath save. will settlements appear on planets you've already been to? if not, that means i 100% am starting over.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Stare-Out posted:

I'm not much of a trophy hunter but the only one I need is the extreme weather milestone one, I'm only a bit into it but even though I've spent my time on planets with extreme weather it seems to take forever to go up. Is there a way to expedite this besides just planting my rear end in a cave and watch storms go by for hours on end?

build a base on an extreme weather planet and sit in that instead. besides, you'll want some mining bases on extreme planets anyway for the activated versions of metals, and in fact i got that achievement just in the normal course of getting a large mining operation set up for activated indium.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain France posted:

Like Calcified and Webbed planets. Am I the only one who finds those two super creepy?

all of the anomalous planets creep me the gently caress out

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hopefully space combat is next on their agenda becauae it is Not Good

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

"improved space combat"

oh gently caress yes

i also wanna know what exactly this solar ship is

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the one thing i really wish they'd do is make a scanner upgrade that points you in a direction that will then spawn a creature you've yet to scan. i really like finding a nice, varied solar system with lots of life and resources and setting up shop there, but it fuckin sucks spending two hours combing caves or swimming around looking for that one last creature.

you could argue that's a silly thing to get hung up on with the game being functionally infinite in size, but with them putting so much effort into base building and colonies, that's the sort of thing i'd kinda like to do and i'd like to make a system my nice little getaway, complete with at least a full list of animal species.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Ok maybe I should phrase my question differently - what do people spend most of their time doing in game?

putting in way way way too much effort to scan down every single creature on every single planet i land on

also looking for really good locations to set up industrial sites

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

any claimed ships will show up in your freighter when you get one

keep in mind crashed ships have a major drawback in that the weapon system it comes with will never work well, even after being repaired. still worth picking one up if you can find one with a good cargo capacity early on tho.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bruceski posted:

How so? I never noticed anything but I haven't gotten into ship weapons much when the base gun kills stuff fine.

at least last time i was claiming crashed ships, repaired weapons would always be at 50% effectiveness. you could fix that by dismantling, re-buying and re-installing weapons, but that was not an option for the photon cannon. maybe they have changed it since (and if they haven't, they should, because it's dumb)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm the weirdo who actually like chillin in the sub underwater, just wish it had a walkable interior like the cyclops in subnautica

i actually plan on building a rad water base in my new save once i get far enough (unless i die first since, permadeath)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ughhhh posted:

Can anyone explain the whole different universe thing wrt to gameplay? I believe in still in Euclid, but what are the gameplay ramifications of moving to another?

in addition to the above, different galaxy types have different abundances of various planet types. i personally prefer harsh, which as the name suggests has a much higher abundance of planets that will try really hard to kill you. the other types are lush, empty and normal, with euclid being a normal galaxy.

e: beaten

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've been horribly, horribly sick with bronchitis this week and have basically done nothing but play no man's sky and just mindlessly going to planets, scanning poo poo and leaving cause i don't really have the mental fortitude to do anything else. now i am sitting on a huge mountain of units and nanites.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ughhhh posted:

Rare, Underground

My mortal enemy.

stuck on one of those right now

the real bitch is that this planet has a common underground, which i almost never see, so my standard solution of 'look for beacons and find it in an above-ground "cave" is just giving me a shitload of the common underground creature instead

e: bitching about it worked, only took an hour and a half for me to this stupid thing :woop:

e2: i don't know how or why but my new character is apparently in a really popular part of euclid. of the 27 star systems i have been to, an absolutely insane 13 of them have been previously discovered by other people :stare:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 5, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the pro ferrite strat is a big ol' rusted metal mine and some refiners

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i really want to make my main base in an uncharted cadmium system and have my freighter based there, but finding the stupid frigate modules so i can get the freighter cadmium drive is impossible. i am 50 hours into this save and still don't have a single fuckin one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

after loving around in euclid for 70 hours i finally finished the artemis path and went to calypso. now that i am here though, what is the fastest way to move to another galaxy? i did not realize the artemis path is non-repeatable, so do i just blindly take black holes till i get near-ish the center of the galaxy and jump the rest of the way?

not that i plan on leaving right away, i wanna establish a bit of a presence in calypso before moving on, but it'd be nice to have a loose plan for the future.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you'd like to coordinate something with me, I can get you into a lush (I heard it was super lush? :shrug:) 19th galaxy, Isdoraijung. Let me know.

Same offer goes for anyone else, too.

i'm playing on permadeath so i appreciate the offer but it's not possible unless you're also a weird moron playing on permadeath

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is there any real point to jumping Galaxies?

i want to establish a base in at least one of each galaxy type, and also eventually make my way to iousganola, the 255th and final galaxy. as to whether there is a point to that, i mean not really but it's a make your own fun kind of game anyway so :shrug:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Party Ape posted:

My permadeath story is that I tried a permadeath game a few weeks ago while waiting for the expedition. I got a few hours into it, got a frigate and built a small base and all the rest before I started the Artemis story line.

At the stage where you use the first holocomminicator it was raining radiation so I was all "gently caress this I'll jump down rather than using all those ladders". Except I didn't have the jetpack mods to do the whole fall gracefully and got gibbed.

Would rate permadeath as well as anyone who sticks with it: 5/7.

i have tons of jetpack mods so i just jetpack all the way to the top of those and then jump back down lmao.

i've only come close to death on this save when i was disoriented in a cave that turned out to be really really steep and i fell a ways, but i have so many health and shield mods that i only ended up losing shields and one of my 10 health pips

that said, falling off mountains on those stupid extremely hilly planets has ended two other permadeath saves, it's very much the easiest way to die. prolly shouldn't even bother with those places, even ignoring the falls they are just not fun to navigate around on.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flyin around calypso lookin for a new planet to call my home and the game throws this at me

i mean i can't not claim this planet as my new base of operations

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i got mega lucky and found a crashed exotic on a planet. not even by finding a distress beacon either, i just happened on it while looking for a cave to find a creature in. and that exotic had far better stats than the other two exotics i had, really the only way i coulda been luckier is if it were a squid exotic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is clearly a hint that the hit song informer will be included as part of the ost

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CaptainSkinny posted:

There's definitely an issue with NPC placement in his latest update.

E: Day 5 of Twitch drops will have the worm companion as a reward. I never did that expedition, so now is my chance.

this has been a problem for longer than just this update, i was playing a lot of nms a couple months ago and had this happen a lot.

i'm prolly done with nms 'till they release a new major update though, i love it and all but by the time i had a fully kitted-out s-class freighter and fighter, i kinda ran out of things to do. exploration for its own sake is fun for a long while but eventually i found my perfect solar system and set up shop there and that was pretty much the end. i hope they add multiple biomes and some better production automation stuff for your bases, the current way to set up extractors and connect them and everything feels clunky as hell. oh and also they need to add snapping for interior parts and furniture, trying to line poo poo up without it drives me crazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

with this new update, i've decided i want to try to make my way to a galaxy that virtually nobody lives in and create my own mini-empire of like 5-10 star systems there. after going through the list, i settled on galaxy 143, isgarmeso, since most people will likely never go further than hilbert (or eissantum if they finish the artemis path and choose a lush galaxy) and most people who would ever get as far as the 140-somethingth galaxy would probably just keep moving on until they got to the last galaxy. plus isgarmeso is a harsh galaxy and in my experience most people avoid those (i happen to love them). i became aware some time ago of a pretty quick way to galaxy hop and i plan on doing that method, maybe occasionally stopping every now and then to plop down an outpost or two.

i was initially gonna start a new permadeath save for this until i remembered that in my previous permadeath save, i lucked into an s-class freighter, the only one of those i have seen in my 300-something hours in this game, and i ain't gonna leave that thing behind.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 8, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Libluini posted:

In my experience, people also tend to avoid empty galaxies, even more so than harsh ones. You'll never get absolutely zero people, of course. Even some of the higher numbers have sometimes one or two player organizations attached that "claim" regions in them.

Is that "pretty fast way" the one where you abuse portals to beam yourself close to the center of each new galaxy? Because if there's an even faster way, I'd be interested!

empty galaxies are my least favorite kind so i won't settle in one, i'll have an outpost in a couple for the hell of it but that's about it.

the method i'll be using is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxegUP_Our0

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Earwicker posted:

especially now that people don't have to go through them in order. if any base in one of those galaxies is ever included as a "featured" base in the Anomaly then people can just jump there directly so people have spread out a lot more these days

as far as i can tell there is no way to see what galaxy a base is in, you just have to jump in blind

there are also people who make instakill trap bases in the permadeath universe and i ain't chancing that

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all the randos i've met have been fine and i don't think trap bases are very common at all, but it just takes one for the hours i've poured into this save to go down the toilet. if/when i die i want it to be my own idiocy, not somebody else's.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

speaking of interacting with other people, i dunno if it's a problem with nexus missions or multiplayer in general but it took me 4 attempts to finish a daily nexus mission today because poo poo kept crashing on me on xbox. i've played for like 12 hours straight solo without crashes before, so i dunno wtf that's all about.

hope the other players i left behind when my game crashed were able to finish their missions, at least.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wind storms are the only thing that actually frighten me in permadeath, as far as i can tell if you get picked up by one you always die (again, at least in permadeath).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

extreme wind events are extremely rare but have been in the game for years. like, even in calypso, in the much harsher permadeath universe, i have only come across them maybe three times in the thousand+ hours i have in this game.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 15, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

permadeath owns, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vil posted:

Not as a recommendation for a new player who's already frustrated with the game, it does not.

I've edited my previous post in case it was unclear that it was a reply to the one immediately before that, and not just me vomiting random opinions apropos of nothing.

i didn't intend for that to be anything more than a shitpost lol