Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

texting my ex posted:

Used to play this on PS4 when it launched and it was a cool stoner game. Now I wanna try all the cool new stuff on my PS4 pro and it just blows up the fans to max, like the drat console is gonna take off and fly away. No other game does this, not even Horizon Zero Dawn. Any fix?

From my understanding current gen consoles have mobile CPU's so my guess is because this is a CPU intensive game it's busting it's loving rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Petition to change thread title to "Just Start Over"

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah the Artifact Crates have expensive loot so just sell it

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Chewbot posted:

Every gaming site on the planet right now is like "OMG No Man's Sky is good!!!1!".

I loaded up the game I bought like two years ago. No, everything is still janky as gently caress, broken and frustrating, with the most transparently pointless Sisyphean treadmill this side of mobile gatcha games.

Before I uninstall is there anything in multiplayer worth checking out or is it just slowly collecting Russian nesting dolls of resources together?

Nah just uninstall

I'm on the lookout for tiny adorable ships that look like flying shopping carts. I saw one but missed my chance to get it and now I'm waiting for another one to spawn in my home system. Ship customization/selling would be an excellent feature to add

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I've been playing quite a bit and luckily the only bug I've run into is seeing the clouds from inside the freighter when I call it to the atmosphere of a moon

Seeing people get histrionic over the fundamentals of the early-game in the survival genre never get old tho. Does anyone else remember their first 5~10 hours with Minecraft and alt+tabbing out to a wiki with all of the crafting recipes, NMS has everything laid out in the tutorial section of the start menu which thankfully wasn't edited by an 11 year old

If you're going to fight sentinels just use your the mining tool to make a couple of wide and tall pillars as a makeshift arena. You'll have cover from all of the sentinels including the walkers and you can give them the run around while dodging the lasers

Also the walkers have armor pieces that fall off pretty easily. Walkers are easy to kill just by themselves on flat open terrain, when they charge up just get right under them and walk around beneath their legs. They cannot crush you so just keep running under their legs and shooting up their crotch

Game is good

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Also having read some posts Cobalt is ALWAYS in caves. Navigational data in the form of paperweights are almost everywhere, in the tiny two cabin settlements near the window of whatever cabin didn't have nanites, next to NPC's in the outposts on land (the ones with a single landing pad, NPC, store, random weapon) and the puzzle outposts. They're usually on tables nearby the NPC. They're on the space stations too, usually in front of the tech vendors.

I know a lot of this stuff is repeated but scanning the past couple of pages I see a lot of the same questions being asked over again

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been to a bunch of ancient ruins and crashed freighters - 2 in the last few hours, but at best I've come out with 200k.
Mostly on crashed freighters I can't get into poo poo because I don't have the right elements and to get them I need to go onto other planets and then refine that to open the crates.... Its absolutely relentless busywork.

And for arbitraryC - I timed it, takes my suit 45 seconds to run out of energy during a boiling blizzard. Waited one out which lasted 4 minutes, and another started in the time it took me to harvest carbon from 2 trees. Maybe you have suit upgrades, I do not.

Speaking of suit upgrades - I found and exosuit upgrade, and the material requirement to unlock it was loving ridiculous. Never heard of them, none for sale. Need 3 different ones. Nms v1 you just walked up and took it.

The game has a start menu that walks you through everything like a toddler, the early game is mad easy just rote. I enjoyed the steps and learning

Maybe this game isn't for you

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Whats the most efficient way to get Chromatic metal? They should really sell the stuff given how prolific its uses are.

Some space stations I've been to sell it, I just bought 500 to stick into a cargo slot

Usually if I have to refine something I'll pair that time up with copper mining to get two birds w/ one stone

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Verviticus posted:

man, i do not think ive played a game with worse base building than this

nothing snaps except wood and paving, which seems completely worthless because you can only connect three together, the game demands that you use their dumbass cylinders without providing hallways???

if you want to build terrain you have to build it in loving spheres, so good luck getting something flat

Take like two minutes and create a Creative Mode save to see every Lego piece you can build with because I've never had whatever issues you're talking about

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So last night my friend told me that you want to put upgrades next to the thing it upgrades to get even more of a bonus on them. Simply just installing it into the multitool or exosuit isn't enough. It was a little too late for that info sadly.

It would've been sick as hell if that information had been given to me in game but alas. That's No Man's Sky

That info is in the game. It says so on the technology upgrades page. Where all of the other info is.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Well it should pop up in my face like any useful information should!!!

From my experience watching anyone play any videogame, tooltips are pretty much ignored haha. But srsly like everything needed to be explained is in the Guide

You can skip the animation for new outposts by going into your visor immediately after activating it. Just don't do it too late or you'll get a white screen and have to restart

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Cobalt is always in caves

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

For some reason I thought I saw a No Man’s Sky NEXT trailer with a motorcycle so I’ve been obsessing over these new vehicle dude quests only to realize I apparently made it up and they’re just for extra credits. Welp.

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/662

e- my bad, wrong bike. That's the mega man x intro bike. This is the Christopher Nolan Batman bike

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/646

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 5, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah my bright idea of "build a base around this cool-looking old ruin" is slightly marred by the fact that my ship always appears half embedded in the wall.

Unless you built a sprawling mega base why not just delete it, get your materials, and put the base computer in a different spot

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I'm trying to do the base building missions. Got a couple questions.

How do I place the Science terminal? I made a new Cylindrical room for it but it keeps telling me it's an invalid position :/

And then where do I go to find a scientist. a Korvax space station? Will the guy I talk to be called "Scientist Entity something"? Cause I've run around to try and find one and there's a bunch of "Physicists" or "Chemists" but those don't count I guess?

Set it as your active mission and the moment you jump into a korvax system your objective marker will direct you to the space station. In my experience they're usually chilling in the back poker room

e^^^ yeah it will have a marker right above their head

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

That's like dependant on your playstyle. Are you a homebody on a lush planet or are you actively seeking the most hosed up inhospitable planets and moons to see how much the procgen can gently caress you up

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I keep holding down my mouse button to like click on website links and poo poo, gently caress this game

There's a mod for that

e - link

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

My 21°C planet that never gets storms or crazy temps at night has barely any Sentinel presence and the rad giant hollow cube Rock formations

You'll find one eventually. My plan is to make a base on an airless moon next

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Chikimiki posted:

I think you can just refine coprite to mordite using a refiner :v:

Ain't NOBODY got time for that

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Was watching a stream and the guy could determine the type of resource deposit from a distance (like at least 300 units). And they weren't in line of sight either, behind hills and such. He's much further into the game than I am though (S class everything). Is there a visor upgrade that does this or am I visoring "Resource Deposits" wrong? Is it stacking Sensor upgrades to increase range? Because I was hunting for Cobalt as a lowbie to repair Drop Pods and it's all Salt or Copper and there's no way to check other than hoofing it. But I saw him just look through his visor and it named them for him clearly as the type of deposit.

Some planets don't have Cobalt "deposits" like copper/gold, where you need a terrain tool. Cobalt is always found in caves. Always.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

In the experimental you get 3-4 salvaged tech modules digging the buried ones up

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 9, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just tallied up the required resources for the repair of my A-class hauler and while 2 million for technology modules isn't a problem, and the fuckton of pure ferrite/sodium/etc. also seems pretty doable...7200 chromatic metal and 750 platinum? Holy christ. I only have portable refiners at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure how to swing that.
I take it that I can just leave the most expensive broken slots in the inventory and technology section for later, and just gradually repair them, or will the ship suffer any negative effects while not fully repaired?

Buy Chromatic Metal from ship traders at space stations out trading posts. Haulers usually have more inventory

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

How do you access the experimental? Cause when I go to the Betas tab for No Man's Sky, the dropdown doesn't have the experimental build available.

Pretty sure the instructions are in the blog post but if not, there is a password for the experimental branch, pretty sure it's "exp3rimental" without quotes

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I'm kind of lost with this game. I pretty much just chase Iron, copper, oxygen around and pick up random stuff and sell it. I built a little house, but I don't know what else bases are for. I got an advanced mining laser finally and lost it 20 minutes later when some alien just handed me a new multitool for no reason. I saw the higher materials, but I don't know what they're even for.

You're in the early game.

Bases have their own quest line that involves unlocking things like exocraft/vehicles. Also you get certain base tools that are really useful to have, like landing pads. Having a bunch of landing pads means ships with fresh inventories will always be dropping by.

Almost every mineral and vegetation have secondary elements, so scan everything. This makes getting materials easier.

You can buy more inventory space from space stations.

If you are hurting for money, or just plain want some, an easy way to get money is to find buried treasure. Monoliths will direct you to the buried artifacts by selecting "knowledge of the past" when you active them. Find monoliths by talking to people at the space station or trading stops and asking for locations. You can also use your scanner if you have some Navigation Data, which looks like Rubik's cubes on the desks in different buildings.

There are quests in your Log. There are some main quests you can do which are essentially meant to be the tour of the game, so they will have you jumping to different systems and doing different things. Try Anomaly quest.

Construct a new Advanced Mining laser for your new tool and buy an S-Tier mining or scanning upgrade from the vendor on the space station. If you can only afford one don't sweat it because you'll be rolling in Nanites soon anyway.

Also there are quests from the Guild on the space station. Can be found next to the trading terminal. Load up on quests like "scan 4 plants" and roll in the dough. Quests from different space stations stack so whenever you visit a new solar system pick up some quests.

The goal is to do whatever (you want), whenever (you want), for some reason (if you want to)

GruntyThrst posted:

Close, it's 3xperimental.

Nice ty. I didn't Google it and was going from what the electricity in my brain remembered

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Every since I completed the last of my three vehicles, the option to trade to my friend is no longer available. Doesn't show up in my menu no matter what I do.

Report! That! Bug!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Full disclosure the conflict scanner needs a Walker Brain to craft so you'll need to take down one of the big Sentinel walkers.

Walkers are easy to kill because their attacks are very easy to dodge. They either fire a slow laser which you can hear charging or blanket the area with ineffective mortar fire. Each of these you can boost underneath the walker and just shoot it's chin while it isn't traipsing around. I don't know what effect removing the leg armor is beyond cosmetic but it does take more damage if it loses the body shield.

You can galaxy brain the encounter by building an arena with your terrain manipulator. Can't hit you if you're behind 3 pillars

You can also jump on their heads and shoot their bald spot

A shield upgrade and a couple of gun upgrades and the encounters are impossible to lose unless you want to.

Steve Yun posted:

Too bad it doesn’t come in black.

You could always use a save/ship editor, yeah? Why let your dreams be etc

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

EC posted:

Is there a list anywhere of what you get from the Blueprint Analyzer? I couldn't find one. I only have three items left, and they're all decals. Wondering how many more I left (I just got to the numbers).

There was still a bunch of stuff left when I hit the listed items, seems like that's just as small as the list will populate.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

so blessed to not have a buggy game goin' on

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Thundarr posted:

The ladder kind of refuses to connect nicely to a lot of things, but i can play around with it more.

I guess what I mean is, I kind of wish there were interior room objects specifically for going between floors since building a cuboid room with a ladder in it to connect large rooms together doesn't look as nice.

There are some people who have made some crazy good looking bases and there's no way they're not sharing info on how to do it. I remember finding a YouTube video about how to make the base from the initial base building trailer so I would say scope out some tutorials, from what I can remember a lot of the good bases are using pieces in pretty unconventional ways

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

This is a doctored screenshot right?

We don't live in a good enough world for this to be real.

There are a lot of dicks in NMS

A lot

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

... I assume at least the biological horrors should count as predatory.

Wrong, they're considered Biological Horrors or something similar.

Predators are legit just bigger animals that you can actually see preying on the herd animals. If I'm walking around a planet it's usually not long until I see one. They will chase down a little animal and kill it. Half of the ones I've run into look like mutated bigcats

Thundarr posted:

...they usually look kind of cat-like if they have four legs or raptor-like if they have two legs.

haha tbh I've never seen this thread move as fast as it is since next and I've been posting for a while, I shouldn't bother phone posting because other helpful peeps will usually make my reply redundant

Who is using mods on PC? I've got a couple installed, including horizontal exotic wings. Just have to find an exotic

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 14, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Soonmot posted:

How do you do this?

You just summon a freighter from the ground

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

RIP just gonna clip this so it doesn't clutter the thread. And the above post is better formatted

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

In the experimental update the vendors have been updated visually. The multitool brother now has the tool for sale facing directly out, and it's really hard to miss now. In addition the starship tech merchant now has a ship behind him with a lil' droid scanning it.

The symbol for Quiksilver has also changed for what that's worth. I am satisfied with their pace of updates since next launched

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

https://streamable.com/lv1cz

mods in my tiny clip:

horizontal exotic wings https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/715

better 3rd person starship camhttps://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/769

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 17, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Starting a brand new game sight unseen on survival? You do you

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Viperix posted:

So, yeah. Scanning every animal on a planet.

gently caress that poo poo.

There is a mod that increases spawn rates (doesn't create any new species) so it's much easier to find that one bitch of an animal to find, haven't tried it tho

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Bootcha posted:

Speaking of, one planet had 8 species, but only seemed to spawn flying critters. After an hour of walking around, I broke down and installed a fauna increase mod.

Turns out ALL the land critters were rare.

gently caress that planet.

What fauna mod are you using? Also, are you playing with any other mods atm?

And yeah buried tech modules are 100k a pop, and I think you get 2~3 now

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

The one thing that makes me bugfuck about base-building is that you don't automatically pull stuff from base storage. I'll go mining pure ferrite somewhere and send it right to base storage so I don't have to cart around 10 slots worth and then when I get back to my base I have to keep running outside to put it in my inventory. I don't have to carry the poo poo from my freighter when I repair a frigate, why the gently caress do you make me do this? :argh:

If you're looking at your exosuit inventory, you can push Y/triangle/transfer button and see the entire inventory of all of your storage crates, and transfer them to your exosuit. You can do this on the freighter, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't actually jumped to anywhere, which I am given to understand is a pre-requisite to getting the recipe.

0% charge.

Guess I'll wait for my friend to get some, I know he's close. Or just edit some in.

You probably accidentally deleted your antimatter.

Just use a save editor like the one linked above and give yourself one.