Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the planet gen looks way better in that preview, he flies towards a blue and orange planet and that's actually what it is when he lands on it. I also like the fact that the game can now spawn decently sized flora.

I'm pretty excited for this update, I always felt that NMS (after all the previous updates) was like 90% of the way there, and this might tip it to being the game I originally wanted when it came out which was essentially just a space exploration game with crazy good procgen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Played for about 3 hours so far

The procgen is so much better it's a joke. You get huge mountains, deep and massive caves.

The draw distance is also incredible now. You still get some pop in but it feels like traditional pop in where it's the real fine details you lose, like grass decals, not the terrain and planets look almost the same from space as they do close up.

Multiplayer is fun as hell and hopefully they slowly expand the amount of players in a single game because seeing someone else actually zoom past is crazy immersive.

The bad parts...it's the same game under the hood. If you are looking for an actual game and not a cool experience you ain't gonna like it probs

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

be careful with multiplayer, found two additional problems:

- If you start a new character and join a friends game, and that friend is not in the same system they started in, the intro missions bug out and become unable to complete due to the recipe for antimatter being on a planet in another system (lol). This is easily fixed by quitting to menu and starting a single player game, the mission will move to whatever system your character is in.

- Multiplayer is a hosted experience. Any progress you do on your character while in a multiplayer game will carry forward into your own singleplayer game. However, if you quit, and then rejoin, you will join BACK to the host players system, potentially losing hours of forward travelling progress if you had decided to split up considerably. This is an issue with multiplayer if you tried playing it like we did which is "singleplayer but we'll meet up sometimes".

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

3 posted:

In my experience, you can get back to where you were originally using the teleporter in the station; it should have an entry for the station of the system you were last in before you joined another player's game, in addition to any bases you've built (even if said bases don't have a teleporter themselves).

drat I didn't even think to try this. I'll give that a shot later.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

the biggest annoyance I have with sentinels is that they are on virtually every planet it fucks with ~my immersion~

drat, a featureless, airless, low gravity arid moon at the absolute border of the solar system. This is so coo- aaaand there's a sentinel right next to me when I land because of course there is

edit: also some stuff needs to be tuned, Gravitino balls might as well be worthless but picking one up kicks off the SPACE POLICE which is an extreme annoyance at best and a death sentence at worst. If you are going to have those mechanics they have to be tied to some really good stuff to make it worth it.

The alien eggs are a step in the right direction but it's brainless and rewards cheesing it and punishes staying to fight where it should be the opposite way round.

abigserve fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 30, 2018