Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Bonus fun is "just make a base near the ship and sometimes it'll inexplicably respawn long after you've claimed it and scrapped it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone else runs into the same issue-- Portals absolutely work on frigates (as outgoing, not incoming, but still), but you may need to inexplicably just...drop and re-place it a couple times to get it to recognize that it's powered?

I placed one down initially and it claimed there was no power to it. I spent way longer than I care to admit trying to figure out if there was A Trick to it, trying to place lamps and connect them, before just giving up and reclaiming it...and then trying again later after finding nothing about it online and it just magically worked. Possibly you need to put something else that uses power in your freighter first so the game recognizes that everything there is supposed to have power? :iiam:

Also observatories are dangerous as hell apparently-- I'm like 3 for 3 on dying or nearly dying in the hallways leading to the L2 Atlas Pass doors from invisible mobs hitting me by clipping through the floor, invisible "electrocution" (??? may have just been a different type of invisible mob), or just flat out falling through the world

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 30, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dartonus posted:

I was farming Derelict Freighters last night for S-class hyperdrive modules using a trick I found: if you stick the beacon in your Portable Refiner after spawning the Derelict but before entering it, the airlock won't eat the beacon and you can take it out and reuse it after clearing the derelict.

That's loving fantastic

Also I need an opinion-- I (dumbly) grabbed the first S-class freighter I found not realizing there was "regular freighters" and "capital class freighters", whoops. I'm farming for a capital one now and came across an A-class that I like, is there any way to upgrade that to S eventually or is it purely "you get what you buy"

e: also how long to they stick around after you've saved them? Are you clear to gently caress around in the system and come back to select your reward, or is it a strictly "If you move too far away from it it'll despawn regardless"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 30, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's more for driving around while exploring. I expected the freighter room to replace having to build a nomad station whenever I land on a planet in a new system but it wasn't to be.

It does, you just need to have a nomad geobay somewhere first-- I think it's a combination of "that's how the game knows you've purchased the upgrade for them in the first place" and the fact that the freighter room doesn't allow you to customize them, you can still only do that at a geobay.

It's basically a "Exocraft Summoning Station" that counts for every planet your freighter is in.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

blarzgh posted:

Freighter Farming:

I appreciate the guide but that didn't answer either of the actual questions I had, heh

I'm getting the vibe of "you can't upgrade a freighter from A to S" but so much of the stuff floating around is from previous updates that sussing out what the current state of things are isn't always straightforward, and I wasn't sure how long I could sit on the question of "Do I want to stick with this A class I rolled or not" while I'm still in the system with it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the actual benefit seems fairly minimal, but the fact that you can't A. upgrade or B. swap the entirety of your constructed freighter from one to the other means that it's going to be one of those things that perpetually niggles at me/makes me not want to spend as much time as I would normally setting the interior up, so may as well just bite the bullet and deal with the dice rolling up front

On the plus side I completely accidentally tripped across a model I liked accidentally and had a manual save not too far before that so class grinding is literally the only thing left to do

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hyperactive posted:

That’s what happened to me. Landed on rescued freighter, got the autosave, walked up to bridge, game crashed before I got there, was on the space station when I reloaded, and the rescued freighter was nowhere to be found.

Another freighter did not appear until 3 hours and 5 jumps later.

I'm intensely curious if this is platform-dependent-- I'm playing on a PS4 and noticed that my game does not actually autosave getting out on (at least) the freighter that I'm farming for, or an owned frigate that I hopped out to repair. I assumed that it was an extremely wise choice in the vein of "we can't be sure this is going to exist in this location in the future", and (at the very least) it doesn't seem to have the same "Your progress but not your position" save like multiplayer missions have, although that'd arguably be a better idea.

I'm not sure if it triggers on my own freighter or not.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

blarzgh posted:

2) The only material difference between an A Class and an S Class is hyperdrive range. With the advent of storage upgrades, you can make up the extra inventory slots.

I'm curious about this-- the A class looks like it has a maximum of 14 tech slots and 42 general storage slots. Is there a way to unlock the last (apparently-locked) column on A-class ships, or do S-classes not allow for a 48 storage maximum?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thundarr posted:

I got the electromagnetic generator recipe. It looks like I'm only allowed to build base parts up to ~300u from my base computer though (with another 100u of fudge room beyond that) and the power hotspot is 430u away. Is there something I need to build out to extend my construction range?

Nope, gotta either build a new base or move your old one to take advantage of it disregard of course you can bug it to hell lol

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 1, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

Once you're at 42 and go to apply another storage augment it should expand the border (which I assume is what you're looking at) out further. Same with the tech slots.

I say should because I've just been holding out for an S so I've done nothing to my freighter but the bare minimum.

I was under the perhaps-mistaken impression that the border was a hard limit, based on the fact that you can't expand the border with tech slots. If that isn't the case then that would be Good To Know

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any sane location in-game to get solid answers on things like power consumption/max storage/generation or is that all basically a "go to the wiki" kind of deal

Thundarr posted:

The electromagnetic generator didn't seem like it had an especially stackable shape, but I'll give it a shot!

it's minecraft physics, anything is possible

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
- Is there any rationale behind why teleporting to some bases drop you at the computer vs. the base portal, and

- Is there any logic behind/way to handle poo poo randomly disappearing out of the medium/large refiners when you leave them unattended for any period of time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if someone was attempting some duping trick or was just really nice, but when I hit a trade terminal after leaving the anomaly I noticed I had...a bunch of void eggs, expensive starship scrap and freighter bulkheads that I definitely didn't come in with so cheers to whoever did that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

metasynthetic posted:

I went on a nexus mission to kill some carnivorous plants. On a lark, I decided to use my grenade launcher for once. It clipped a blade of grass in front of me and I died instantly.

I'm playing on normal, so when I saw that my inventory was wiped anyway I rage quit to desktop. Then I remembered that on normal, you drop a gravestone with your inventory.

Then I remembered that a nexus mission doesn't save your position. Only your inventory status.

:negative:

if it's any help, the anomaly really seems to "like" sending you to the same locations if you're on the same quest in the same system-- I keep coming back to abandoned buildings with geology gun craters that I absolutely put there myself. (I also don't know if the game is nice enough to mark your grave at long distances, even on nexus missions when I inevitably gently caress up because I added another +50% damage range on my geo gun and forgot about it, it just drops me next to my ship again so I'm always like 2 feet from my own eradicated corpse)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

I had to make some Deuterium yesterday and it worked fine.

But you can buy it some places or refine it, thats pretty much it.
Maybe try validating files?
That seems to have fixed some weird glitches I was having.

e:Speak of the devil, just got back to my base and millions of credits of refined stuff gone out of 5 refineries.
Figured I'd go do some quicksilver missions while they were cooking, but this is the second time its happened the past few days, thought the validating fixed it.
Guess not.
My concoction was chlorine though.

I'm pretty sure I've had stuff disappear out of my refiners literally as I was sitting at them, let alone leaving the area, it's a little ridiculous. I'm just very glad the "place multiple refiners" trick works so I can divvy up the workload enough that it's only a few minutes of babysitting and it's usually fine

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Party Boat posted:

You can get upgrade modules from freighter salvage missions,

Do yourself a favor and please don't bother with this (for the Salvaged Frigate Modules you use as currency to buy the hyperdrive upgrades, that is; it's a good tip for bulkhead upgrades and the upgrade modules though)-- the Salvaged Modules aren't guaranteed so you're talking about a 5-10 minute hike at a dead sprint for a chance of a module. Ew.

For Salvaged Frigate Modules, it's significantly faster and easier to just snipe them off friendly frigates, and it doesn't have any effect on your standing if you do it right-

- Find a big frigate with a bunch of cargo modules on it (the more cargo the better, and you don't want any ships that are just a cargo container with a cockpit-- killing people will decrease your standing, but a bit of light pirating is perfectly a-ok)
- Individually look at each of the cargo containers on it, it'll tell you what the cargo is, and look for Salvaged Frigate Modules
- Once you've identified which ones have SFMs, pluck them like grapes (with a gun, by shooting them, like we traditionally do in america)
- Boost directly away

If you're quick enough on the boosting away bit, the in-system cops will drop on where you were, see nothing in range, and immediately despawn and drop all your wanted levels, and you can immediately turn around and repeat. At least 50% of the time the ship I literally shot at will have forgotten me, and even when it doesn't it'll only actually get pissy if I get super close again (which I won't need to because it's already been harvested).

The bigger container ships that look like they're flatbeds made entirely out of tubes will frequently have 2 or even 3 SFMs on them, so getting the 20(?) you need to get from 0 to Blue Stellar Bodies is super fast and easy. Also: You only need to make the Blue System upgrade, since that'll let you warp to Red and Green as well, same as your ship upgrade.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 3, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Note to self: I know you're excited the exotic you're farming for popped but get out of it before taking off

Went flying off, went to land, immediately stuck in a perma-landing glitch and had to reload. gently caress.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I like how I'm not the only person this has now happened to. Whenever I do anything important or time consuming now I always call in my ship and hop in and out because man does this game love to crash at the most inopportune times.

I managed to snag it again in significantly less time this time around, thankfully (probably thanks in part to me just saying "gently caress this game" for a bit and leaving myself parked in view of a trade depot while doing something else for awhile instead of actively savescumming), but hilariously after very carefully saving this time, I went to land at my base and had the exact same thing happen in the exact same spot, again. I appreciate the hand holding sometimes, but other times I very much miss the elite dangerous style of "you best learn how to land manually, mate"-- usually when the game either A. doesn't want me to park in a place that's very obviously parkable, or B. unilaterally decides to clip me through three hills and a dozen trees because the landing spot it "bound" to was somewhere else than the place I was entirely

ded posted:

Always carry a portable save beacon and use it when something important happens.

The funny thing is that this particular bug has literally never happened before, at least to me. I've had other adjacently-game-breaking issues happen but usually in places where I can, say, use the undo gun to force the game to clip me out of whatever badness, or summon something to hop into to get myself unstuck, or warp back to the anomaly. This one was just infuratingly "you can't do a single thing here, get hosed"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 4, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Holy lol I didn't realize that inventory restrictions on ships were actually totally eraticated, now my tiny rear end exotic guppy has a 2500 LY jump range and a portable black hole worth of storage to boot

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

It definitely seems like I get a lot more "landing spot isn't clear" messages than a few expansions ago. Used to be as long as you weren't going full tilt you could hit X and reliably start landing - now unless there's a landing beacon or it's obviously clear space like around a ruin it seems to be really finicky about it.

In hindsight, the more that I play with it, I'm like 90% certain that "landing spot isn't clear" is a hidden "we haven't finished loading the area, you can't land yet" thing, because it's absolutely happening more frequently now that I'm playing chicken with the ground with a hyper-upgraded pulse engine

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

That's plausible, but it also feels like it's gotten harder to pick a spot to summon the ship to

I only just started playing so I can't comment on how it used to be, but that's another reason I'm thinking load screens-- usually any spot that I have trouble landing, I can usually super trivially summon my ship right to where I was trying to park in the first place, once I'm actually on the ground. (Also even with that, it's not uncommon to land and have giant chunks of minor outposts, trade depots, and even parts of the ships on them not showing up immediately)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I am now 3 for 3 on "first attempt at landing an exotic I got into softlocks", get in your box sean

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eltoasto posted:

Some dude just handed me a void egg while on the anomaly, saved me 3200 QS! Also later someone handed me 140 mil worth of items to sell. Hanging out on the anomaly and collecting likely duped items is my best moneymaker.

:ssh: it's dirty eggs from a dirty eggman (probably)

Unrelated, has anyone figured out what the specific mechanics behind "Return to Anomaly" are, since it seems to completely randomly be there or not for me? I thought it was "If you ported out of the anomaly you can always port back" but it def. seems like sometimes it just isn't there, and other times it is but disappears at a random time after without swapping systems/loading

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Casu Marzu posted:

Goddamn some of this poo poo is obtuse as gently caress. Thanks.

Yeah I don't know why they made an icon differentiation for pipes but power, signal, and teleport all use the same one

Thundarr posted:

Boy it sure would be nice to have some sort of helicopter exocraft for these mountain planets. Kind of like a Nautilon but for flying/hovering.

I was just wishing for the same thing, flying speed of an idling ship, able to stop in midair, able to land wherever you feel like putting it down

it'd be nice as hell

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ded posted:

I think switching galaxies a bunch can screw up the refiners. I've had thousands of rusted metal and slime vanish.

where do you think all that slime and rust comes from

the instant you turn your back it all crawls out to reinfest your luggage like bed bugs

the fact that you can refine dead slime to nanites is just proof it's all crawling around when we're not paying attention

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

Bases are linked to a single player, but I think maybe you can let someone have access to mess with your stuff? Multiplayer is weird. If you want to join up the fastest way would be to get one of you done with the Artemis quest chain to unlock portals. Then you can dial in the system and fly to wherever the other person has a base.

Worth noting: you can get portal glyphs from random travellers in stations and they removed portal interference, so if you're not attached to your starting system you could literally each just get the first glyph, meet up at the location the portal drops you at when you use all that-glyph, and hew out from there.

(You might also be able to group up in the anomaly and skip the portal glyph bit? but I'm not totally sure how all that works)

e: In hindsight it might literally be that easy, since people talk about porting to other people's bases from the anomaly to get back to galaxies they didn't leave a base in

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 5, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Given the events of the last couple of days, I can honestly say nothing in this game has made me as tense or scared me as much as "Getting an accidental S-Rank Frigate and having to decline, summon, and dissamble my existing frigate before accepting it"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

You can do it both ways. It's more convenient to make them directly into your inventory with the recipe at whatever volume you want, but the refiner will do it while only using 60% of the raw materials plus an insignificant amount of a metal you have in abundance from shooting asteroids.

If you just want one or two to make a geodesite or whatever, then it's easy to do in your inventory, but if you're farming the ingredients in bulk you might as well set up a refiner to get more bang for your buck.

Refining crafted items also takes significantly longer (like, usually 60-90 seconds per item) so your willingness to dump things into a refiner and walk away may be informed by how often you've been bitten by the refiner-contents-disappearing thing

Zet posted:

I've found a couple crashed ships and I think only 1 of them has respawned once and I've been waiting about 2 real-time days since then and haven't seen it pop back up. Kinda same with some of the interactables too? I put my starting base inside one of the pair of buildings that generate where there's a sphere you can learn a word from and some nanites to pick up and those haven't come back either. The damaged containers seem to respawn more often but sometimes it's just the rusted metal and nothing's inside.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that what causes it to happen is just going to enough other systems that your local cache of what has/hasn't been looted gets dumped. The first time I had a respawning crashed ship the sequence of events was something like
- Find the crashed ship thinking that it was plot-relevant (since it was the distress beacon for one of the first Artemis quests)
- Drop a base beacon right next door and dig a little hole for myself
- Hop in the wrecked ship thinking that I needed to use it to figure out what was going on
- Immediately trigger the first Anomaly spawn, head in, gently caress around
- Head to the space station, gently caress around
- Teleport from the station to my base, inexplicably have the crashed ship I own parked right next to the crash ship that's respawned (??)

Since then I've had it happen twice more, once on accident (I eventually scrapped both ships, didn't see it come back, shrugged, and came back like 10-20 systems later and found it again) and once on sort-of-purpose (where I tried to reproduce the bug by claiming the ship and beelining to the anomaly, then getting distracted for a couple hours doing other quests/things in other systems that I jumped to from the anomaly portal, and eventually coming back and finding the wrecked ship spawned yet again).

All of that said I also haven't really even bothered to claim any wrecked ships in quite awhile, since I dropped an active indium farm and now have more units than I really know what to do with

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 6, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

Didn't ever try building this far out using the stretching trick by laying down supply depots in a chain until now.
Was searching old bases for gas nearby and found one 755 away, somehow made it out that far.

Yeah apparently the "real" hard cap is 1000u from your base, it's hell of rad

Also worth noting: even if you don't have any hotspots "detected", you'll still get occasional "boops" from an out of range one, so if you've got headphones or stereo sound you can just follow the noise to the hotspot

I've got a lot of old bases that were running on solar and between those two tricks, all of them were close enough to EM hotspots to power up for real

Less cool is the fact that apparently if you kill more than like 3 or 4 waves of sentinel walkers the game just straight up crashes, at least on console.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

Bases have cool views and teleporters so you can move between them easily. Freighters have... um... inventories. So once you have the upgrades to go to other systems and the upgrade to let you use your freighter inventory, you have an extra inventory. If they made the teleporter work both ways in a freighter it'd be more useful but as is... meh. You'll get stuff from frigate missions and such but the freighter game is kind of its own thing that just feeds back into itself.

My biggest freighter wish would be "let me make bio domes" tbh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the "harvest all with one interaction" is my thing, I built a farm on a frigate before I knew that was a thing but I don't know that I'll keep it now, considering

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You need to buy and install the "matter beam" upgrade on your frigate, it's seperate from the ship one

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Are we all not gross flesh caves?

I thought I found an awesome crashed living ship, but then I realized my monitor was turned off

Semirelated, during one of (the first of?) those forced wait sections, I decided to sit down and grind out at least the first 10 galaxy swaps so that I could just have my gear broken once and then come back to those galaxies later for proper loving around

turns out moving to a new galaxy, at least doing the galactic center galaxy route, will just 100% increase the number of "Active Void Egg"s in your inventory by one every single time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

I also have some wacky ideas for bridging bases but that'll have to wait until I have more time.

I came upon a realization like 10 minutes before writing this: The soft cap appears to be based on the storage network.

I have 2 seperate nodes linked together into one storage network, with the storage for one running through the other. I was getting a lot less than I had expected for 2 distinct nodes-- barely more than I was getting with one elsewhere-- so on a whim I disconnected the storage line running past the node in the middle. With the nodes linked together, one extractor in one node was generating about 180; simply disconnecting the storage line to the second node kicked that up to 240.

So on a second hunch, since all my stacks are linked vertically and then to each other and the full storage network at the bottom, I disconnected the stacks' storage from each other-- suddenly the bottom extractor on each of the individual 3 stacks was hitting 360+. So your new "meta" might just be to have "stacks" of 3-4 extractors, slightly offset to make sure they're not touching each other (since that seems to magically cause their storage networks to merge even without pipes), put an air gap above that with a platform, and repeat for as many individual storage networks as you feel like dealing with, and you won't even need to care about finding multiple hotspots.

This is a bad thing to find out at 11pm, but I'm going to go play with this regardless.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Went back to my old leaky creaky first indium mine, 16 extractors

Before:

After: Network 1 and 2

Didn't even really need to change that much since I had built the storage in 2 distinct stages, just ripped down the extractors and re-placed them with a physical barrier

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
For additional shits and giggles, disconnecting them into single stacks of 4:

7520/hr vs 3172/hr just from changing how it's stored is pretty loving hilarious

e: I would put cash on the theory that this applies to electrical networks as well, so if your base's power consumption is high it may be worth splitting the power grid

e2: It looks like 7 is the magic number of extractors where you're still getting 100% output-
8 is 92% of the maximum per extractor
9 is 85%
10 is 80%
11 is 76%
12 is 72%
13 is 69% which is where I stopped because who cares, don't make storage networks with more than 7 extractors in them

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 8, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Muscle Tracer posted:

old-player question: now that starship and freighter inventory sizes can be upgraded, is there a difference in maximum possible inventory sizes? like, can a tiny freighter and a capital ship still reach the same max with enough bulkheads?

Mostly no- maximum inventory/tech size is 100% tied to class now, which means your S-rank exotic guppy can automatically have a 48+21 inventory if you have enough money or augments to dump into the ship upgrade station. Your C rank fighter that you really like the look of would be capped at (probably something like) 30+6, but since you can upgrade ship class now that's only a question of if you want to grind out the nanites to get it up to S.

Freighters, on the other hand, can't have their class upgraded, so the only way to get 48+21 is to get an S-class capital ship. I don't actually know if the max inventory on capital vs. non-capital is different, I think it is but I don't remember if I actually tried to dump bulkhead upgrades into the non-capital ship that I accidentally got initially.

Arghy posted:

Can you turn down a freighter and still get a free one? I saved one already and it was a C class so i took some minerals instead thinking that when i do accept it will be free next time.

As long as you don't have a freighter to exchange, the first one you get from a combat situation will be free. If you, say, trip across a random non-capital freighter and say "oh poo poo it's S-rank, I can't pass that up" and buy it outright, you won't be able to get any free freighter after that point (ask me how I know this :shepface:)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 8, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

The whole ship breakdown is so weird, i got an S class hauler that was 32+4 and was like i guess this is the best? I then found an A class explorer that was 38+8 and i've seen C class haulers with 40 inventory so i'm guessing poo poo's just random. I really wish there was a ship lot because it's so loving stressful checking every goddamn ship that lands hoping that you'll get to a good one when it lands before it leaves.

As someone who started playing, like, 2 weeks ago, it's really interesting seeing the weird mish-mash of QOL features and the anachronisms left over from what those QOL features were obviously there to address. You can get "high quality" crafting goods...but the recipes for them were removed entirely, so you can't craft them or (apparently) deconstruct them into component parts, so they're literally worse than junk and only good for dumping on the nearest vendor. Haulers still have the class "advantage" of inventory space, but you can upgrade literally any escape-pod sized shuttle to 48 slots so the entire point of that advantage is blown away out of the gate. Etc, etc.

I will say, for ship hunting, I've found a really good way to keep an eye on everything is:
- Find a trade depot
- Drop a base computer
- Find or create a nearby high spot
- Drop a short range teleporter on the roof of the trade depot (despite the "no power" icon, short range teleporters don't need power to function anymore)
- Watch the ships, use your visor to read the class/inventory size (if you care about the latter) of any interesting ships flying in and out
- If you see a good one just teleport over and snag it

People recommend "sitting on the roof of the trade depot" the entire time but since you can't see every docking space at the same time that way, eh.

Libluini posted:

To be honest, you don't really need an S-class capital ship. I now have an A-class star destroyer type freighter, and since I can upgrade the already large (approx. 35 + 15, from memories) inventory, I can't see myself ever upgrading to another freighter again. Also if you build your storage cube thingies into your freighter, your freighter inventory is suddenly (normal freighter inventory) + 10 x 20. With 200 slots added in tabs just like that, suddenly freighter inventory becomes a lot less needed.

The difference between an A class and an S class is "6 more inventory slots you can access/craft out of at any time"-- storage boxes are nice but still require your freighter in-system (not always guaranteed, also you can't summon from inside stations/the anomaly), are finicky to interact with if you want any sort of sorting, and aren't treated as "something you have access to" for any crafting or upgrading.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

I also have some wacky ideas for bridging bases but that'll have to wait until I have more time.

Also re: this original thing, I tried to do something with it but despite the game allowing you to hook up storage networks across base boundary lines, it doesn't actually work to move contents across them, so the best you could probably do is set up two adjacent bases and build the "hub" of one right at the boundary line between them. That said, the game def. lets you set up a second base very, very close to the 1000u maximum build distance of another base (possibly even inside of it?) so I'd probably manually make sure you're putting 2ku distance between your base computers to make sure the game doesn't start getting confused about where one base ends and the other starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

There are people who craft inside their freighter inventory? Huh, I never thought about that. I'm always using my suit inventory by default. (Probably because it's been maxed out for ages now, so it's not exactly stifling.)

Also I keep forgetting there's an item which allows you to use your freighter inventory from somewhere else, because I never bothered with collecting any frigate salvage modules. So I actually can't do this, storage boxes or not, the freighter inventory is inaccessible as long as I'm not literally standing on it. :v:

That said, I'd never sell my A-class freighter because of 6 inventory slots. That sounds absurd. Now, if the game one day wants to give me a freighter that's S-class and looks as sweet as my current one, hell yeah I'll take it! It's just not something I would waste time searching for, if that makes sense.

I went from "I have no space in my own inventory" to "Oh poo poo, a big ship, I can use that like an extra pocket as long as I've got enough rocket fuel to summon it and am kinda close to it" to "Oh poo poo a fuckin BIGGER ship, AND I can use the inventory in it from LITERALLY ANYWHERE" so I basically had a freighter inventory to use before I even knew drop pods existed