Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think I just lost my freighter. I got one after the patch for free after killing some pirates, and just now stumbled upon another freighter under attack and got it for free too, but now that freighter is my default one and I can't find a way to go back to the old one (where all my stuff is.)

Am I hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It feels a lot harder to find properly habitable worlds now. I remember before I'd stumble on total paradise planets frequently, now it's all completely frozen/toxic/fiery hellholes and when I do find a place that seems promising (bountiful etc.) with low Sentinel activity, tons of flora and fauna and a nice 25C temperature, it's 700C firestorms or scalding rain or Sentinels up my rear end every five minutes. :(

I had a "blissful" world saved, where my old base used to be but it's like 600,000LY away so fuuuuck that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Behold, Denver the Last Derpasaur.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think I broke the Traveler questline. I needed to get good standing with the Mercenary guys and was directed to a questgiver, did one of the missions and went back for another but the only one there sucked so I figured I'd go into another system and presto, found a much better mission to do which I then turned in at the same station I got it from.

Now it's guiding me back to the first guy, considering that step of the quest complete, but even with the icon over his head he's not advancing the quest and the little tip box says the mission is in another system.

I can't roll back a save or anything. Anyone encountered this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Phobeste posted:

Are quest texts broken for other people? Like when I hand in quests to non mission desk guys, like random ones at trading posts, they’ll say something that’s clearly an unreplacdd localization tag like NPC_PLANET_MISSION_RES_SUCCESS. At first it was Korvath and I thought it was on purpose and cute but they all do it lol

Actually, yeah. I've been thinking it was intentional sort of computery gibberish but now that you mentioned it, that totally is a missing bit of flagged dialogue that's supposed to be there.

On a related note, completing those missions is completely hit or miss for me, sometimes I go through turning them in and despite acknowledgement from the NPC I get no reward and the quest stays active and tells me to go to another system to turn it in. Whaaaaat?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I found a cool ship but the first person cockpit view stinks. :( My normal one is a jet-like fighter type I can look around great in (and see all the instruments/displays) but the other one barely shows the top of the radar. Adjusting FoV doesn't seem to help. Oh well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

emdash posted:

Can you share a pic of this hell ship so I know what to look out for

I don't have the game available right now but I'll post it once I do. And also..

ToastyPotato posted:

Is it the kind of boxy one? I just got that yesterday, but it was such an upgrade that I had to take it. Cockpit is the worst I have seen so far though. Very claustrophobic.

.. yes! The cockpit protrudes out from the front and opens up like a mouth. It was also an A class like my fighter, but with loads more cargo room so I repaired it and figured I'd use it for farming within systems (the hyperdrive on it is poo poo) but there's only a very limited front view out of the cockpit and barely any view of the instruments.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's the ship I mentioned with the poo poo-rear end cockpit view (my normal ship in the background on the landing pad.)

And the view itself; at night because no photo mode from inside the ship:

Also BIG THINGS:

And MOONKINS:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wish you could move upgrades and things around in your inventory since coupling upgrades with weapons/thrusters whatever yields such a huge benefit.

Libluini posted:

Ha ha ha ha, now I've hosed myself over again: I got back to the huge, expensive ship I found and claimed it again. But this time, I wanted to repair the thrusters because I saw how easy that was.

Now my old ship is gone and I have this barely flying expensive peace of poo poo. Sure, I could fly it to a space station and exchange it against another, actually not broken one, but my old ship had tons of poo poo in its cargo and lots of upgrades installed. Those are gone now. Is there a way to call it back later, without a freighter (as I still don't have one)?

Can you not just use the quick menu to select and summon it on a planet? It should work for any ship you've claimed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

By the way, you can prevent your mining laser from overheating if you stop using it right as the bar is about to reach the end and immediately firing it back up. Old tip but still in the game and maybe someone doesn't know about it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I found the coolest place, a "Glassy" planet. Dead silent with really unnerving, but chill ambient music, no life, barely any plants, but it did have these:

Floating mineral formations that give Ferrite Dust. They even reflect sunlight really intensely.

Bonus Freighter picture:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, I landed in Arizona and the game crashed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Big McHuge posted:

Nope, it's got an overlay that says damaged module, it appears red when I'm flying around in space, and when I land on each of them they give me a message indicating that there is damage. Prior to the patch, when I got out it listed a single damaged module, but said module wasn't appearing anywhere. Now it's saying "0" damaged modules to repair. I can walk around for a bit, and when I take off it will give me the Frigate Repair Complete message, but then go immediately back to being broken.

I have 1 damaged module but it doesn't show up anywhere on the actual Frigate. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just got an S-class Frigate, sent it on an easy mission and just a couple of minutes later it was critically damaged, same thing, says there's two damaged components, I repair one and the other one is nowhere to be seen. I leave the Friagte and the quest to repair it completes but it's still hosed.

Screw the Freighter crap until they fix this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also I got a delivery mission that keeps sending me back and forth between two systems, always claiming it's in the other one. :downs:

I'd really love this game if it wasn't completely broken.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Perhaps spending ten dollars on this was hasty. :stare:

Guess I'll find out!

I got mine for 7 euros late last year so I'm not complaining about the price factor. 10 bucks is a bargain for what it is, and a steal for what it will/could be.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

In my experience, things do start getting weirder the more you progress; I got all three of the special hyperdrive things (is it really true you only need one of them?) and I'm jumping into some pretty weird systems now.

Never saw anything like the floating shiny metal pillar planet or this:

until I left the comfort of the standard yellow star systems.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

precision posted:

Yes, you only need an Indium drive to be able to warp to any color system.

Cool, thanks! I need those two slots on my ship inventory like I need my next breath at this point.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nada is now hitting me up after every jump. Sorry guy, I'm not gonna come by every drat time, even if Polo's making tea (and trying to flog me 1,7 million space buck B-grade upgrades.) :colbert:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Powershift posted:

based on your accomplishments in the game, nada can sometimes give you like 1500 nanite clusters.

I have more nanites than I know what to do with and just about every S-grade upgrade already, I'm just saying that at this point I'm not earning milestones at the rate those two spam my communicator.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just throwing it out there, six S-grade movement upgrades are loving godly. Your feet will never touch the ground. Get some with a bonus to initial boost too and just tapping the button will send you up into the sky.

I can't wait for them to fix the rocket boots, it's going to be insane.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You have learned the Vy'keen word for 'mating'

:stonk:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

So I came across a base computer in the middle of an empty round area on my base planet. It didn't seem like anyone had built it, it had been placed there by the game. Anyone else found something like this?

You found what most old players are currently looking for, including me. There are some spots like that that are currently the only way to reclaim an old pre-Next base, but they're borderline impossible to find because, surprise surprise, it's bugged.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Macaluso posted:

How the gently caress do I complete photo missions? I'm following the criteria the mission wants but taking a photo does nothing but simply provide me with a screenshot. It doesn't give me credit for taking a picture

Related to this, hint for PS4 players; if you have the "quick screenshot" function on (tap Share button, take screenshot/double tap to record video,) for these missions activate photo mode, hold the Share button until the side menu pops up, and press Triangle. That'll do it. For the "normal" mode I think you only need to press the Share button once in photo mode. NMS is weird about this for some reason.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It the Indium Drive, or the blue one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So a person came into my galaxy. Landed next to me in a very ominous looking squid shaped ship. Walked up to me and gave me 20 million gold worth of cryopumps. And then disappeared into the night like Batman

:psyduck:

edit: My exosuit was full. Another stack was in my ship inventory. 30 million gold

A hero.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

1.53 is out on PS4. Don't have the patch notes at hand though.

E: I guess it's the same as it is on PC:

Bug fixes:

Fix to restore savegames for players affected by a specific issue with freighter expeditions
Fix for an occasional white screen crash during loading
Fix for frigates not reporting their damaged state correctly
Fix for an issue that could block players in the “fuel the warp drive” stage of the tutorial
Fix for repairing broken ship slots in Creative Mode
Improvements to exocraft laser damage
Improvements for animations while turning, jetpacking, and standing on objects
Memory optimisations to improve stability
Preventative fix for potential stability issue with mission handling

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They fixed reclaiming your old base! The quest now shows an actual in the wild base computer you can use to teleport your pre-Next base to it. Mine is.. not quite as cool as I remembered but hey, it works now.

And it gave me back a bunch of buildable stuff I had pre-Next too. Finally got the blueprint analyser back! :toot:

Now to fix my frigates!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Can I still do it if I built other bases on that save since Next? Do I just go to a new planet to trigger it?

I have a new base on a nice planet that I just flew around in (with the mission active), scanned around until it said it had found a suitable location and it was on the same planet. Went to the icon and there was the base computer that allowed me to restore the old base, done.

Also they didn't fix fixing the friggin' frigates. My frigates are still hosed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I found a "[REDACTED] Planet" that was exactly the same as the floating metal pillar world I posted pictures of. That's weird, intriguing and kinda lame at the same time.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For anyone having problems making money, just land on planets and scan creatures (and flora, why not) after you get 3 S-grade scanner upgrades. I'm hemorrhaging money and I'm still at 60 mil just from that. Scanning plants is a guaranteed 60k per pop (even resource plants that you pick up with the interact button) and creatures range from 100k (common) to 350k (rare) and it adds up mighty quick.

I'm so tempted to start a new save just to unfuck my pre-Next game but I must have hundreds of Gek/Korvax/Vy'keen words already and I don't want to get them all again. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

explosivo posted:

What's the easiest way to find the abandoned outposts with the biological horrors? Do I use nav data in the scanner to look for habitable buildings?

I really want to say that I found one using the distress call option but I can't guarantee that's true. Worth a try though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you’re on PC and this is all you particularly care about you can actually use a save editor to both see all the words you have and give a new save those same words so you’re starting fresh without losing that.

PS4, so nope. This game needs a new game+ or an option to start over with discoveries/upgrades/words, especially with how much patches gently caress and unfuck the game if you're playing on an old save.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Isn't this essentially what jumping to a new galaxy achieves?

I don't know about that but I'd imagine it still carries everything from the old save when you do that, I mean a completely fresh slate, just with discoveries and upgrades and words, everything else is freshly generated, including quests. That would be nice.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Does anyone know how to fix the problem where no atlas station will "talk" to you?
I have unlocked all 10 and got the blueprints, I crafted the Heart of a Sun but the waypoint to the last atlas interface is gone from the warp menu. I traveled around to all my known atlas interfaces but they all look like the 1st one ( the atlas interfaces looks different depending on which # it is). Does anyone know how to fix this?
Setting the atlas path waypoint on the galaxy map just tells me no target.

I have that exact same problem, at the exact same point no less, with a Heart of a Sun sitting in my inventory. Nada and Polo don't give me waypoints to new Atlas stations, the ones they point to are ones I've already visited since there are no language spheres and no terminal I can interact with.

I'm guessing it's bugged, so just focus on other things until they patch it out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I saw old references to a similar problem and the solution then was to go to a system without an atlas station. Save, reload, jump to system with atlas station in it. Some people also said to just play and after a (long) while you will discover a new atlas station. Haven't tried either yet, doubt it will work since that bug is so old that we probably have a new bug. I think what broke it for me was visiting a friends 1st atlas station after visiting my 10th.

Yeah I remember that being in the game pre-Next too. I'm not exactly sure what broke it for me but as with just about everything else with this game, doing something even slightly unexpected or going about it a bit differently screws it up. I've tried a few solutions to that but they didn't work so now I'm just doing other things that do work until a patch where that quest works again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Look out for "Metal Fingers" when you're on a planet; they give TONS of resources each, mostly gold and uranium from what I've seen. I ignore the gold because gently caress, when do you need gold and you can just mine it off asteroids anyway, but the uranium is basically a super-cheap, infinite refill to your launch boosters so make sure to get every metal finger that has uranium in it. It takes a while to mine but a single one will net you around 200 to 250!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Is uranium a better fuel than spaceship fuel? It seems to last longer and take up less space and can be used for other things

It's exclusively for the launch booster, but yes. Good god, yes. Get as much uranium as you can and you'll never have to worry about making booster fuel again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SubNat posted:

The Pulse engine on the other hand can use Pyrite, which is useful if you want to save space. One stack of Pyrite probably fills the engines up as much as 4++ stacks of tritium does.

Oh that's good to know. I have tons of pyrite stashed in my freighter because I didn't know what to do with it and I'm constantly pulsing around and have to stop to gather tritium. Not that it's that big of a hassle, takes a few seconds at most but still, good tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seeing the old screenshots makes me appreciate Next way more. Hello Games really knocked it out of the park with this patch. Sure there are glitches but overall it was like a leap from last-gen to this-gen.