Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I picked this up on sale at GOG yesterday, got a couple hours in but I'm pretty much still in tutorial mode. I did catch a couple videos on the basics but is there anything I should know to look out for to avoid or the like? I'm enjoying what I've got through so far at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Run the gently caress away from Sentinels in the early game. The easiest way is to just dig a winding hole and wait til their alert level goes down. DO NOT GET IN YOUR SPACESHIP until this happens, otherwise you'll be fighting waves of interceptors instead.

Yeah I already had one encounter with them, I managed to get away just fine thankfully.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Played this a ton today. Found a crashed B-rank hauler I was able to claim and get flying, though it has a ton of broken parts i need to fix up. Built a base around the crash site, even though it doesn't have to stay crashed. Traded in my starter fighter for a slightly better fighter, and I've gotten some good upgrades and multi-tool upgrades. Didn't realize how tough a nexus mission could be, but managed to solo one despite the very aggressive sentinels. And finally, found myself some kind of sentinel base that I was able to take down, that was pretty cool. I've been flying towards an artifact location on this planet forever, and I keep finding little settlements and points of interest on the way.

My biggest problem so far is my cargo keeps filling up, and I'm unsure what I should actually sell. I have a storage container at my base but that's a bit of a trip, unless I were to build another base with a teleporter, I guess.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

Is there a way to put a save point on a freighter? I've been spending more time on my freighter base rather than a planetary base, but it's kind of annoying having to wait around for a save sometimes when logging off.

I think getting in and out of one of your small ships will trigger a save. It does everywhere else at least so far.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oh drat, that's like, the only thing the game was missing for me and I'm still only a little bit into it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm also doing the Omega Exedition and it's nice to have the gameplay be a little more directed. Salvaged a sentinel ship to replace my tiny-rear end starter ship, new one looks kinda of like a TIE Interceptor and i love it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man they aren't kidding when they say it will require a lot of travel to get tot he 2nd Redezvous. That or I'm just way off course because I went through a black hole.

At least I had the foresight to build a tiny base on a dissonant plant so I can go grab radiant shards for refueling more easily.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's Recommended to teleport back to rendezvous 1 after black holing or you're going to have to travel 300,000 ly or so manually

In (some?) previous expeditions black holes seemingly were hardcoded to spit you out at the start, presumably to avoid exactly this, so I'm not sure what they were thinking this time around

Yeah I did that today and it was a big help, knocked out a bunch of expedition quests.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Well I've finished the expedition, except for the final goal of researching the final planet...so I guess the question is what's worth bringing back to my main save, since it seems I can't bring say, the fancy Atlas multitool I got?

And what even comes back with me? Apparently stuff you don't put in the expedition terminal gets converted to units and nanites? Including your ships and freighter if you have one? I just get the free Starborn Runner ship and posters on the other side?

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 21, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

You'll be able to pick up the Atlas multitool and all the appearance modifications (the mask and the jetpack) at the quicksilver vendor on the anomaly too, along with the ship. Your original ship, the interceptor you picked up, and your freighter you'll lose, but (as I think the expedition was meant to show you) they're pretty easy to replace.

So the only thing to worry about is any suitably rare materials and powerful upgrades I picked up along the way, got it.

On that note, I really wish I the UI would show you the actual boosts for packaged gear that you've uninstalled, in numbers instead of saying what it boosts but not by how much.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 21, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you have the nanites on your main save, you can jump back to it and copy the atlas multitool if it's your expedition self's currently equipped weapon

Same goes for the ship, which is nice-- I've had the golden vector and utopia speeder tying up permanent spots after their expeditions since I claimed them without really thinking but never use them, but also don't want to get rid of them...

yeah I found that, which was nice. My main save is still kind of young since i've only had the game about a month, but the new ship and staff are a big help.

Next goal is to find a nice spot with ambient power to build a big farming base.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

tip for finding hotspots- you can always find the direction of the nearest one by listening for when the sound changes, even if you are too far away for it to give you the distance.

Good to know. I'd really like to find one next to some kind of mineral or gas one, but that's probably too much to ask.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fired it up, looks like the update hasn't hit the GOG version just yet?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I bought a couple of ships that didn't seem out of the ordinary and couldn't get anything off of them either. I'm betting the most reliable way is to find crashed ships, which is basically buying maps and hoping you get a transmission tower, huh?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've had plenty of luck buying normal ships for parts, has your game definitely updated?

Yeah, I was able to pull apart a salvaged ship just fine. It was weird.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

You can't build shuttle-type ships. Only fighters, explorers and haulers. No idea why they left out shuttles, solar ships, sentinel ships and exotics but they did.

That must be it, I bet I just happened to grab two shuttles.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got myself a freighter (Class A) so I spent a bunch of today setting that up,and grabbing a few new ship bits as I've jetted between stations. It'll take a lot of ship expansion modules to match my Starborn Runner, but I think I'd rather like having a ship that's 'mine'.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Made my way to a new galaxy by finishing the quest that gives you all the Glyphs along the way. Made sure to use an empty ship and multitool, and empty out my exosuit.

I really wish you could more easily buy/build repair kits though.

First system in this Harsh Galaxy is like, 5 planets of aggressive sentinels and a dissonant moon. I'm building on the moon because despite the dissonance, it has perfect weather other than gravity anomalies, and I found a great spot for a base between power, gas and mineral points.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've run into a really weird glitch.

I fought a bunch of corrupted sentinels and after killing enough of them I got pointed to a crashed sentinael ship, simple enough.

I went to said ship, pulled out the stuff and probed the brain to I could purify it and fix it up. Only it sent me to another system with another crashed sentinel ship for some reason. I salvaged that one, went to a monolith, purged the brain and can grab it. But i still had the brain from the first ship, I can't probe it now. Went back to the first crashed ship, saved, reloaded, and I can probe the brain again...and it points to the same second crashed ship, which I can go to, claim immediately.

So I can just like...claim this ship as many times as I want by going back and forth at this point. But I can't get the first ship at all. It's really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Squibbles posted:

We were just doing that today too and had the same results where we could basically claim as many ships as we wanted. Also it seems like all the ships on a given planet are the same or very nearly the same other than class? Potentially also the same with multitools from the camps. We found what I think was 2 different camps and the multitool at both was the same looking.

Even playing a couple of years ago I remember running into bugs with the game where quests wouldn't complete properly and for example I had the weapon guy in my base give me the same enhancement as many times as I was willing to accept it. Stuck there until I restarted the game. That exact thing happened to my friend the other day too where he was able to farm several thousand nanites by accepting these things and selling them off. Then it happened to me with a quest that gave me a multitool, I was able to get 5 duplicates of it and then go decomission them for cash, though the money wasn't enough to be worth it.

Yeah there's a ton of stuff about how the multitool pools work, it's wild. I just want tog et one that'll work nicely without me having to carry this staff around all the time.

Decomissioning ships over and over is decent money, this one gets me 18mil a pop essentially for free. At least until i thought I was being clever by building a base next to it, which means the reclaimable ship won't spawn anymore. I'll dismantle the base and see if that fixed it.

I just wish there was a way to fix this brain without the quest so I could salvage the first, cooler-looking Sentinel ship and move on.

EDIT: well a couple loops and the game seemed to realize something was up, I came back to the first ship and there was an NPC there, who worked like a landed ship pilot only I was able to claim the ship for free, so that's that.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 21, 2024