Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Decided to start a Survival playthrough and have so far lost three full inventories to falling deaths from jumping on gradual slopes. Would recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Can you make domesticated animals persistent? If so, how? I’ve got the feed machine and the harvest machine but none of the creatures i domesticate stick around.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You can summon them the same way you would your main starship, under “other ships” or whatever at the right hand side of the menu. You’ll have to fix them up with basic elements to get them flying after that, though.

Alternatively, once you claim a freighter they’ll start showing up in the hangar. They’ll be the ones that are on fire. If you need a quick cash injection you can always fix up a C-level’s landing gear and pulse engine then scrap it at an outpost, you’ll just need a few free personal inventory slots for the scrap in order to sell it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 28, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

OzyMandrill posted:

One tip - when mining resource deposits with the terrain manipulator, use the smallest beam size. The amount you get is based on time more than how much disappears. Use a big beam and you may get 50-100 from one patch. Use the smallest setting, and you can get over 1000 of a resource from the same deposit. If it's a storm world, tunnel under the deposit and eat away at it slowly from underneath and it keeps you safe while you nibble away at it.
Well that explains why sniping crystals from across the map netted x10 the condensed carbon of doing it up close.

It's a little bit weird in that you might as well just slap the yield multiplier mod on the advanced mining laser and no other mods, to maximize what you get

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Since it can take many thousands of materials to repair all the broken inventory slots in a crashed ship, I'm guessing it is probably best to just vendor trash the ship at a space station and use the cash to buy a fully functional ship from an alien. Unless the crashed ship was already S rank, maybe.
Yeah, not sure what the rate of return is on fixing up and flipping ships, if any. You only need the pulse engine and landing gear to work in order to get it to a station for scrapping.

quote:

I've run across a few ruined freighters in space so far, but I haven't been able to find a way to land and explore them like the wiki implies you can do. Are the landing pads only available once you have your freighter? I've been dicking around in the first 5 or 6 systems on the new save so I haven't picked one up for myself yet.
As noted above, the kind you run across pulsing around systems are mainly decorative, but look around and you'll probably see one or two cargo pods floating around. Even if there's nothing listed as contents, you'll get chromatic metal out of them. Might summon some pirates, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ughhhh posted:

So me and my friend just got pc game pass and was wondering how to go about doing coop in this? Do we both have to get to a certain point in the story to start playing together, or can we both start the game together and progress?
Gotta do the core questline til the Anomaly shows up. That's the hub / lobby for moving from single player to multi. Rushing through it should take... an hour? Maybe a little more?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

So I bought coordinates to a crashed freighter and had to back off planet to get supplies to fix the cargo pods. How do I find the stupid thing again? It looks like the coordinates/quests got wiped as soon as I took off.

Unless it’s part of a quest in the log (and it might be!) it’s gone baby… gone. You gotta drop save beacons on anything planetary that’s not a base if you want to find it again… though if you’ve got an Econ scanner in your ship you can alway scan for the nearest trade terminal.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Related, is the only way to save locations like a planetary archive/trading post that the game doesn't think is important enough to add a location marker on the compass, adding a custom marker or a save beacon (if that appears on your compass)? I wanted to explore the archive a bit more but ofc I never found it again after flying off :smith:

Edit: do you have a limited number of custom markers to place from your visor?
You definitely want to use a save beacon, they show up as an icon you can set the pulse drive to fly to. They can cluster together from a distance when on the same hemisphere quadrant as a base or a quest marker, etc. but are easier to distinguish once you get closer.

You only get one custom marker, not sure they persist when you leave atmosphere / the system.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

how the gently caress do doors and switches work building a base :psyduck:
Don't power the port next to the door, power the ports elsewhere on the building.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

While the biomes in NEXT felt sufficiently different from each other, nearly all planets looked exactly the same terrain-wise. They all had the same kind of mildly hilly look to them, maybe with the occasional cave to break up the monotony. Did they fix this yet?
I think so. The Himalayan planets are a blast.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure you don't even need a refiner for that stuff, you can whip it up the same way you whip up metal plates and poo poo.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Props to whoever mentioned that blasting out the cargo compartments on capital ships doesn’t hurt your faction rep. Got a ridiculous run of fleet warp-ins, three freighters to a spawn, about five consecutive spawns that happened as soon as I cleaned out the last. Topped out my storage.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Unfortunately not, sorry for the confusing wording - you can destroy the cargo pods attached to freighters and net their contents (usually space metals, chromatic metal, nanites or freighter modules, explained below), and on normal difficulty you can handily deal with the sentinel gnats that are summoned. The only way to get freighter cargo bulkheads / expansions that I've seen is by clearing a derelict freighter mission.

Farming freighter pods will get you salvaged modules used to buy blueprints to expedition consumables, engine upgrades allowing for freighter summoning in new system types, and the all-important mass teleporter that will allow you to access both the freighter inventory and its cargo space from planetside (I haven't tested its range, but you can apparently access it from systems away).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One absolutely massive improvement with Origins is that terrestrial and freighter cargo vaults are integrated - meaning, if you build cargo cubes 0 through 3 at your base and cargo rooms 0-3 on your freighter, each given number designation shares inventory with its counterpart, like dropbox for noble gasses. I don't think this was the case previously.

The real benefit is that, at least when in a planetside base, a matter-transmitter upgrade to your freighter allows instant, map-traversal free access to both freighter inventory and your entire cargo storage apparatus. Makes things a whole hell of lot easier when you want to plant some sentient flora and realized you left all your Indium in crate 5 down in the basement.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

After a period of credit investment (enough to get a decent fleet) the frigate expeditions become a way to trade a modest amount of extremely common elements (dihydrogen and tritium, for frigate fuel) for millions of credits. You'll also be able stock up on more advanced building materials (herox, hot ice, cryo pumps, etc) that you can either sell for big money or use to build even more lucrative trade goods.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are percentages, but idk if higher values are better

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I found a big rock snail crab thing on a fire world that gave up “crystal flesh” but Idk if that’s what we’re talking abt.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nullsmack posted:

I think I found a new bug. I was doing a derelict freighter earlier today when my screen got all frosty and the cold weather bar said I was in a storm. A storm, localized on a freighter, in space.
Yes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Do what they say on the tin. Why? Who knows

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You have to raid neutral freighters for tech points. You can go after the standalone cargo pods but they’ll hurt your faction reputation, but the cargo pods attached to capital ships don’t. If you’re lucky you can come up on a fleet of big boys that will net you 4-6 in a go. You’ll also get a metric ton of space minerals and a few nanites for your trouble.

E;fb

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah destabilized sodium is still hauled in from freighter missions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So many hours in and now is the time that the game decides my cliffside base looks better filled in with dirt

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, you have to pulse to the space station and escape that way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I do wish they’d invest in some more varied creature sounds, anything and everything sounds like a harp seal gargling salt water

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Stripping AI freighters for fun will also get you all the precious metals you could want and then some. Never manufacture chromatic metal ever again!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Unfortunately the last patch changed it so scan mineral quests now direct you to a specific planet rather than being happy with any planet.

Otoh pirate / sentinel / animal / predator bounties are all still indiscriminate. Though with pirates it's only if different contracts are in the same system.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I find it way easier to play on KB+M

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I simply cannot move through the world without constantly expending my jetpack so fall deaths are practically assured

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What, am I gonna “not fly”, foh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You spawn at your last save point (usually yr ship) with an empty personal inventory and one or two of your gadgets broken. Your “grave” is left where you died and contains all loot and materials you had on death. So presumably like a Souls game you lose on second death what you left on first death, provided you neglected to pick it up.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

More stuff for unclaimed star systems would be cool, imo. Give us deep space Frontier stuff.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Combat is never going to be good as long as it’s strictly optional

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

As noted earlier in the thread, permadeath in this game is not really worth it. There’s never a time where death in the game feels earned, and to add a total save wipe onto that annoyance just makes it undue. Go play DOOM or XCOM2 if you want to play an Ironman game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anyway, I’m really liking the new particle effects

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ramps no longer attaching to prefab doors :smithfrog:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Arghy posted:

Should i fix every settlement or pick and choose? Found one on a lovely planet in a big square hole.

pick and choose, but first, turn your screen on

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I love that you can grief by dropping a base in the near vicinity of a copper deposit, thereby making it inaccessible to anyone but you.

Also how if you just stand around for long enough the game will apparently give you achievements that people in your general area also achieved.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Powershift posted:

-There is at least 1 freighter upgrade module in the cargo containers on the ship. this is the only way to unlock on-freighter base building elements
-At the end, you can choose between the freighter upgrade or cargo bulkhead, these are the only ways to upgrade your freighter cargo capacity. or freighter capabilities
-The tainted metal you find in containers can be used at the scrap dealer for unique decorative elements for bases
-The dude on the anomaly behind the desk near the cook dude gives you 1 free derelict freighter finder a day(week?)
-The crew manifest and ship log can be turned into the dude on the station that gives you race affinity rewards to increase your standing with whatever race he is.

It's more about finding stuff to upgrade other stuff than it is profitability
Also if you get living slime and all that you can render it into nanites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Woah, ship slots are *expensive*.

75 Mil a slot, and I need a bunch of Tech Slots. Updates to NMS Save Editors when?
Get thee gas extraction bases (ideally at least one for every gas type) + greenhouses full of cactus, mold, faecium and star bulb. Use freighter cultivation rooms so that you can passively farm carbon to turn into condensed carbon. Use nanites to research as many crafting components as possible. I think that’s all you need to start churning out hellish amounts of valuable components of stasis generators if not actual stasis generators. Watch the economy break.

Or if that’s too much building and waiting, you can always scratch up enough money to to buy local goods, slap an economy scanner on your ship, and play space trader. For this you will need a phone to look up what different economy symbols mean.

Or you could trawl pirate systems until freighters warp in and then steal all their poo poo - sentinel craft don’t spawn in pirate systems (or they didn’t, at least) and pirate system cargo does big numbers just about everywhere.

The farm method has a lot of upfront work (counting the nanite gathering for learning all components + mining you’ll need to do to cover initial planting costs) but once you get it in you’ll have hundreds of millions of credits for 10-15 minutes of work every day. Everything else takes more work… but is also potentially more fun to actually earn

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 9, 2022