Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Latest Patch Notes posted:

Fixed an issue that could cause all Multi-Tools to become Royal Multi-Tools after reloading a save with a Royal Multi-Tool equipped. Pre-existing Multi-Tools have been completely restored to their correct appearance. Unfortunately, some newly acquired Royal Multi-Tools may have changed appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Living ships aren't that great anyway. Besides, with this update you now have the advantage of owning up to nine ships.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I'm pretty sure you can buy all blueprints in the game with nanites, effectively skipping the storyline. Start farming those nanites.

This is why I personally use duplication glitches in the early game for a nice start, then stop using them once I get to a more comfortable starting position.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Powershift posted:

Other new hilarious bugs:

if you try to sell something that's in your ship's new cargo inventory, you get the money but it doesn't remove it from your inventory. you could theoretically load up with 210 stasis devices and get 3.276 billion dollars every time you hit the button.

Even worse, if you sell to the scrap dealer (I only tested on the one in the pirate station) the going rate doesn't decrease after selling.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The experimental patch that they're pushing out either today or tomorrow is going to fix the cargo inventory not clearing out when you sell. So if you want to abuse that, make sure you do it today.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Libluini posted:

Those new planetary frigates are sure as hell impressive, though I'd wish they'd come less close to my floating space pyramid (WiP)

The planetary raids are a bit dumb, though. There's apparently a manufacturing facility and a transmission tower just close enough to the floating pyramid I've been working on, and every 2-3 minutes I get a warning that one of those installations is attacked by pirates.

Really makes me wish there was a filter to block those messages, because I really don't care

The patch they're pushing through next will have pirate attacks on buildings happen way less often.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

chglcu posted:

Any word on when that is, because good loving lord. I just went to resume my save from a few days ago, and got a 13gb update followed by constant alert spam at my previously chill base.

From what I understand it should probably happen within the next day or so. The YouTubers I watch say this based upon when the experimental update was pushed. Hello Games doesn't announce when updates happen in advance because the shittiest gamers are very vocal.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I believe it's called the experimental build, and it's only available on Steam.

I just realized I can use my personal refiner as an extra storage spot in a pinch. Just make sure you don't start it on accident.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The latest update psyched whatever big prevented me from accessing my Normandy from before.

Your squad mates can get the sentinels called on you with their stray shots if they blow up cargo containers.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The pirate attacks happen so often, I'm getting the alert several times inside the Anomaly.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The expedition took me around 8 hours to complete. There weren't any drawn out ones like last time.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

If you don't plan on continuing with that save once the community event is over, which freighter you get is absolutely pointless. You won't be playing on that file long enough to take advantage of any of the higher class freighter benefits.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Danith posted:

If I haven't played for a couple of years and just want to start over on a new save, is doing the expedition and then keeping it as my 'main' save fine? Or are there still issues of messed up quests and I'd be better off also starting a normal non-expedition game?

The purpose of the expedition seems to be to speed run through the main bits of the game to catch your save up to where up it should be to play the new content. So I would suggest making it your main save. You'll still have the main campaign available at any time. Plus if it's been a few years, there's a good chance the old save will have bugs.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven’t been able to talk to any pilot in stations. They (and their ship) instantly disappear when I start a chat.

Turn off multiplayer when this happens. It's causing the glitch. You might have to reload your save.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The latest patch update made it to where the conflict level of that system impacts the frequency of pirate attacks. You might want to move to a one-star conflict system instead.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

That Works posted:

I quickly built the fleet command room in it though and am locked out of it by a giant steel plate covering the top half of the door :headslap:

I had the exact same experience. Like the poster above said, you can move anything even after it's been placed.

Also, don't build two rooms on the same corner, otherwise they will occupy the same location and not work right.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Stare-Out posted:

The new combat update sure made space combat hard in VR, there's zero lock-on and with how touchy the stick is it's a nightmare to try to stay on target.

On the other hand I encountered a tornado for the first time and being flung around by that in VR was pretty fun!

Did you enable the auto follow option in the menu first? Once it's enabled you still need to press whatever your equivalent to square on PlayStation is to follow your selected target.

I haven't played this update yet in VR, and I was curious if auto follow actually helped.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Add supply depots to your farm to increase the storage capacity.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Floppychop posted:

How would more capacity increase units per hour?

Sorry, I misread your problem.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I go the Monty Python route. Run away!

You don't have to melee boost very far to get out of their range.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Hughmoris posted:

How is the VR aspect of NMS these days? It seems like it would be a great game for VR but I don't really hear anything about it.

Rad as hell on the PS5. poo poo on the PS4. It's the exact same game, you have to play the PS4 version, but it's stupidly low res on the PS4. For PC, that's down to your specs.

I always use the ramp in the space stations instead of jetpacking up because the world feels just real enough. Playing as a Gek the first time was so strange, because I haven't been short in about 20 years.

The gameplay and controls only have a few flaws, the main one being you need to put ship control sensitivity down to around 4. Way lower than the default. The motion sickness aspect I would say is medium low because they know when to smartly black out the screen without it being intrusive to gameplay. Other than the load screen, gently caress that thing. Let me get my VR legs before shooting through the star field.

Building in VR is a pain in the rear end too, and most of those glitches won't work if you're into those. So I just make fun glitch bases in 2D, then enjoy walking through them.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

So, I just finished the weekend mission and went to redeem some rewards worth quicksilver. What's with these Worm Hunt Decals?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Double check you actually claimed it in the expedition menu. Otherwise, maybe you can claim it at the Anomaly from the quicksilver guy.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve got parts 2 and 3, it’s telling me to put them together, but I can’t seem to do that without 1.

Today's patch fixed this problem, so check again after you update.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Everything in the technology tab won't be affected. So, make sure to put the launch thruster and pulse engine of your junker in that tab first.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Yes! Yes! Yes! My S class squadron actually does stuff now! That battle was so much cooler to watch as two of my guys speed ahead at another target and took out about 25% of his shields before I got there.

And you only need to repair.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I decided to visit my first base on a whim because I hadn't been there in a while. It is a peaceful paradise planet, and I built it in the middle of nowhere. I walk out on the balcony and see this

So, I go and investigate and find this

First one I've seen in the wild.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just dropped a save beacon and communication station at the pillar.

+17.61, -62.12

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Either trade your time for di-hydrogen by using a refiner to expand it, and/or send support frigates on the mission to reduce the overall cost by, I believe, 50%.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I buy my Tritium off of the ship NPCs at the space stations. You can walk away with a few stacks after only a few minutes.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

If you only want to do nanites feeling legitimate, ship scrapping is a very effective way. Build money legit, buy ships and get nanites from the upgrades produced, and sell the other stuff for about a 75% total return on your purchase price. The better the ship, the better the upgrades produced, the more nanites.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

JerikTelorian posted:

OK I need industrial quantities of ferrite dust and I just don't know how to accumulate that. I'm up to my goddamned ears in activated stellar metals, but I am a pauper for fuckin ferrite dust. Any tips?

Buy the basics like that at space stations in 3-Star economies. They let you buy in larger quantities. If the station doesn't have it, check the starship NPCs for what you need. Just be sure to bring units.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just checked and every station and almost every trader has ferrite dust. Are you sure you're not looking for silicate powder? I ask because no one sells that. If that's the case, just mine the ground. I forgot this after I was so far into the game and started base building when I needed silicate powder for glass.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Oh man, three windows short.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Done!

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

If you're doing that, you can just build bases at the trade stations and gain the sales advantage, but still be able to teleport between them.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Everything that costs nanites or salvaged data has been multiplied by 10, but it's only for the expedition. Other than that it's standard survival rules, with the exception that you lose everything and start from the beginning, similar to the way that permadeath does. What makes it different than a permadeath run is the difficulty level and the fact that your save file will not delete when you die.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Mokinokaro posted:

I've made it to the 5th phase of the goals and can't find the final anchor point because the map is literally sending me in a loop between 3 systems on the expedition route.

Can't find the final anchor indicator on the map either. I'm wondering if it's bugged.

The first anchor point bugged out on me. Just go ahead save your game turn off multiplayer restart the game and reload. After that the marker was appearing for me again. Sorry, that's all the advice I have for this I know it's not great.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly this did not work. I might try dying.

I can guarantee dying won't work, unless you think starting over will do something. Just start a new save file in that case.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

TracerM17 posted:

:cough: save file editor :cough:

:cough: not a PC exclusive game :cough:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Mokinokaro posted:

Dying actually did work.

I think where I messed up was leaving the fourth planet before doing the grave bit.

How did dying fix a permadeath glitch? Or did you already complete the loop? In which case that changes how things work.