Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You can kill each other but you won't be able to steal their things or see their grave when they die.

Also, I'm curious about the patch notes, even more than about the update itself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm pretty excited to jump back in myself, it's been a while. The update drops in about 3.5 hours.

It's too hot to go outside anyway. Hope my PS4 doesn't overheat and explode, that would be less than ideal.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I think all of the things you mentioned have been improved, there are now also different kinds of stories and it has side quests. But yeah, it's still the same type of game so if you didn't like it then, you'll not like it now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

In 4 minutes.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Are we supposed to be counting down now?

There's still the download of 8GB.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The subreddit is in lockdown and the PS4 + PC version seem to have been delayed.

Xbox is live though

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 24, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Here's some patch notes :

https://www.nomanssky.com/next-update/

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

PS4 is live now, though. It's downloading and ready in 10 minutes on my system in Western Europe.

It's a 9.5GB download

vv I misread, apparently its it's a 9.8gb download for me?

Anyway, it's done now. See you on the other side!

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 24, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

They even made a unique 3d person animation for the melee/jetpack so it seems they built around it.

I have seen some large mountains this last hour and fairly deep oceans. No Kilimanjaro's or Atlantic Oceans so far, but definitely a noticeable improvement to the terrain generation.

Storms look really nice now. Obscured view and all, lots of stuff getting in your face.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Just follow the tutorial (the messages on the bottom right of your screen).

edit : Yes, this changed now. You start a few miles further and you have to follow the tutorial to know where it is.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

"Resource deposits are worth considerably more on planets with extreme weather"
Is this a new thing or have I just missed this before?

Also, I've been playing for a few hours on an old PS4 and it runs just fine. There's just sometimes a stuttering sound when entering/exiting planets

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Carecat posted:

I started my first game ever, the planet was highly radioactive and within two minutes I was dead. I restarted and it gave me another radioactive planet that kills me. My third planet was extreme toxic.

This is on normal!

I experienced the same thing. Restarted twice and then just went with it.

I've found my tutorial base on a very small island in the middle of a giant ocean. No land whatsoever to be seen, apart from my little, dumb island. Makes it feel so unique and isolated. There are two trees and one lonely baby dragon wandering around.
However, there's this huge continent on the opposite side, the only continent on the planet. It's really cool!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I just found some seeds under the ground near a ruin worth 9 million units :o

I first had to dig up 3 keys, which open a 'large artifact' that held the seeds.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The keys + the large artifact were all very close to each other. Spread about evenly around the ruin.

That's right, you look around in scan view and they pop up, just like resources do.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Beastie posted:

Anyone know where the mission board is on the space stations?

I was wondering this myself. According to Reddit, it's the guy to the left of the guild envoy. For me, they never have missions so I am assuming this is something to unlock by advancing the tutorial?

So, I've got a freighter and 1 frigate. What's there to do on a frigate apart from looking at the pretty views?

edit: you can actually jump out, it seems!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It's a bug, I guess I got lucky so far as it never happened to me.

Just visited a planet that had a temperature of 320 C and had firestorms, I don't know if this is new?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

drat, my ship is stuck in the engines of my freighter.

I did that by teleporting the freighter right outside of a planet's athmosphere, and then I pulse engined towards it. Making me get stuck inside it forever.
It's just bouncing me around in the engine and it's really noisy. I have to reload I guess

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Just got my first PS4 crash after 6h46m playing (jeez, have I played that long already).
It was when I selected the option 'Abandon missions' at the mission board. Just did it a second time to test and it crashed again. So don't abandon your missions, I guess!

I logged the bug both times.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There seem to a lot of tall mountains on cactus worlds so far in my experience.

Also, I bought a starship with an Indium Hyperdrive, does anyone what that is? I'm able to reach the green systems with it, weren't those the ones that used to need warp drive Tau or something?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mailer posted:

Does the game still feature that dumb inventory tetris thing where you have to do wacky crap so your upgrades stack?

Yes, sadly.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I have to admit that I've been using the dupe cheat as well, but currently only for warp cell materials. For the rest, I don't mind a bit of grinding but I just don't want to be restricted in exploring.

Probably going to stock up my freighter with a whole bunch of warp cells before this gets fixed (which will also become a grind in itself, I guess).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

I have to admit that I've been using the dupe cheat as well, but currently only for warp cell materials. For the rest, I don't mind a bit of grinding but I just don't want to be restricted in exploring.

Probably going to stock up my freighter with a whole bunch of warp cells before this gets fixed (which will also become a grind in itself, I guess).

Wow, you don't even need to dupe the materials, you can just dupe warp cells on its own. As long as the origin refiner has something in it as output.
My warp cells are multiplying exponentially.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Press down and then on the wheely thing

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The duping is exponential so if you have 1 warp cell, it takes about 15 minutes to end up with a hundred or so. And then 16 minutes for 200 and so on.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I wish there was an option to make all sentinels passive unless provoked. They take away from my chill space photography simulator.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mandrel posted:

yeah sentinels are a massive pain in the rear end and seem way too common. like i'm cool if a planet with a high security level has sentinels every 50 feet but even on the lowest planet they seem to constantly spawn at least one in within 50 feet of you at all times you have to work around. it's obnoxious, i don't remember them being quite so common at launch

This is the first time where they always attack you when you're mining. They never did that on non-frenzied planets, you used to be able to do anything except attacking them.

I guess how they are now is how they were always supposed to be like? I'm not a fan of it, though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Is it actually possible to find a nice earth-like planet that doesn't have firestorms or frenzied sentinels? I think it's time to start settling down but I don't want to deal with hazards.

Also, it's weird that everyone starts waving at me every time I go to the market.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I have this cool spot I may use for a base, but I want to fly around the planet a bit more looking for other possible spots.
Is there a way to save this location?

I guess I could always just slap a base cpu on there as those have a marker?

edit: oh, you can set custom waypoints apparently with the scanner.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 27, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Dont Touch ME posted:

Also god drat I loving hate space stations. Why the gently caress is everything elevated just enough that a default jetpack can hardly make it up, and the stairs are crammed in the corners. Annoying as poo poo.

Why haven't you upgraded your jetpack yet? I can jet and sprint for miles. You should be able to do this within the first hour, they're pretty cheap.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I switched to Creative mode and having much more fun. I miss the upgrade loop but it's really not worth the tedium and frustration of dealing with this game's resource system.

Do you still have to contend with non-passive sentinels? What are the major difference aside from unlimited resources?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Seems like the 1.51 patch is up for PS4 as well, probably Xbox too then.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

i pulse jumped right into the inside of a freighter, game went haywire

Me too, I had to reload. Did you manage to get out of that whirlpool of death and NOISE?

Every atom procedurally generated.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

No, you have to start over.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Hyperdrive questions!

1. What's the furthest you can jump? I'm up to about 700 ly. Is there a limit of stacking S upgrades?

2. What's the use of the colored drives? They don't seem to increase my jump range and I can still go to all colored systems without its drive?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, I'm glad you don't have to lug around a dozen atlas stones anymore. In the first version you couldn't even stack them.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm having lots of fun in this screenshot game. All screenshots are from the PS4.

I found this huge platypus bear. He didn't seem to mind me.

Alone on an barren moon.

Learning about the violent history of the mighty Gek.

First contact!

Nice rings.

Cruising past a fleet.

Visiting some old friends.

Just enjoying the scenery.

This planet had some great sunsets.

After more than 80 jump, I've finally found a paradise planets that has pleasant weather and minimal sentinel activity. Now I can build that lake house I always wanted.

This tree was huge!

Nice earth-like

Through the asteroid field.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mandrel posted:

I miss the enormous skyscraper sized rectangular mineral deposits that you’d find in the game at launch. I remember I found one that was just cities of enormous gold mesas that I could mine for hours

Oh, I don't. It looked too jarring and made every planet seem the same.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Pennfalath posted:

Three s-rank upgrades per type per location. For example, three s-rank shield upgrades in spaceship inventory and another three in spaceship tech slots.

Oh really? So you can have like 6 s-rank scanner upgrades then?

How much does that earn per scan?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Can someone go ahead and build a pyramid around one of those planet portals?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am really starting to hate the 'zoom up into the sky' animation.

Press left trigger or whatever the equivalent is on pc and it cancels it immediately.