Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

..btt posted:

1.0 very much could handle that. Sure, it was a fairly shallow repetitive experience, but I suspect it still will be, there will just be slightly more side quests and you'll be able to bring a few buddies.

It still won't live up to the initial hype, of course, because it would be impossible for a game to do so.

Pretty sure that 1.0 didn’t have base building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AirRaid posted:

You'll be given a free freighter as part of the tutorial/intro. Not saying it'll be amazing, but you'll get one.

That is fantastic news as it lets me rush to my space fantasy faster. I don’t want to play creative mode, I do want some challenge. But the amount of grinding regular mode had last time I played was too much for me.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CrashCat posted:

By the way have they made it any easier to select and land at landing platforms yet? (assuming no)

You fly towards it and when it turns green, you know you’re landing on the pad.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

The new features like ancient relics, buried resources and treasure, archaeology etc are just new icons to hunt in your visor, but like everything in NMS, they're loving *everywhere*, so by your second planet it's just another item on the grind list. No searching, no discovery, no rarity, no novelty.

This does remain the biggest challenge to NMS being long term engaging for me. Each solar system feels the same as the last as does each planet. Even if they aren’t. So it all kind of blurs together.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

explosivo posted:

Yes. This. The q/e a/d thing drives me insane. Mousewheel not working in SOME menus where you have to hit w/s to scroll up and down is obnoxious too. Clearly designed for a controller and mashed into KB+M to make it mostly work.

On a controller it's a strange mishmash too. The cursor is driven by you pushing the joystick around rather than, you know, jumping between selections with a button press. Sometimes you change pages with the D-Pad, other times it's the shoulder buttons, other times you have to moooooove the cursor over to a target and hit a button.

I just think they are not good at UI/UX.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This is a cosmetic thing but I got my baby's first freighter and I was surprised and saddened when my adorable Gek crew was replaced by a cold unfeeling Korvax crew after the first warp jump.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Say I own a freighter and a starship and I've found a crashed starship. Is there a way to repair the crashed ship and send it back to the freighter? I want to keep my old ship as well. I tried flying to the freighter and summoning the other ship but it just says "can't land here".

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How do you get the ship to your freighters in the first place?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does the... I think it's the Phase Beam, the ship upgrade that says it helps with mining, does that actually have any benefits over blasting asteroids with your photon cannon? Like more metal returned or anything? Otherwise I'm not really seeing the use, it just overheats instantly.

It overheats and then unseats very quickly. And it on hit kills most asteroids. So it's probably faster?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thinking about coming back to this. Been awhile. Every update, it seems like they promise less grinding. How's that working out these days?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The grind to get enough resources to increase my carrying capacity so that I could spend more than 20 seconds in the wilderness mining so I could have stuff to sell. It seemed to take forever to have a chance of getting a new ship, new multitool etc. I was just shuttling back and forth between the landscape and trade terminals and I wanted to climb the value chain faster so I could focus on exploring and customizing my cool ship.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What are the things that get you free stuff that I might otherwise miss. For example I've been saving up for a Freighter but I guess I could have just had a random encounter that gave me one?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
They’re adding lots of stuff and that’s great but there is a basic “grind is good” philosophy to the activities and that is bad.

It’s disappointing to log in about the exciting marquee new feature of the sandbox game and discover that it’s gated behind some part of the game that you didn’t want to engage with. For me who is starting new, it sucks that this is yet another thing locked behind resource accumulation. It’s an unnecessary feel bad moment in a game that should be a delight.

I’m sure once I play more all these currencies will be in plentiful supply but I’m on console so I can’t just save edit away their bad taste in gameplay.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Cool, thank you!

Something I learned after getting my first freighter apparently if you refuse it then 5 jumps later there will be another space battle and that will reward you with a much better freighter

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They're actually random so it isn't guaranteed that it'll be better.

The wiki claims the second encounter is always a capital ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

VectorSigma posted:

Sick of walking around to get materials that you can't slap an extractor on? Want to build a really huge base but your mining laser finger got tired after the first 2000 ferrite?

Just use the Positron Ejector. I have three S-Class upgrades. Protip: airless worlds have a lot of tiny rocks and you will fill your entire hold to 9999 whatever in minutes.

Watch what happens in under two minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0866grXQsM

You just sold me a positron injector.