Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am cautiously optimistic this will make the game better, though I am still not sure what to do in this "chill simulator".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is survival obnoxiously hard or just an actual good challenge? Is that what most people play?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

God fishing is so stupid and boring and I agree I want it in every god drat game ever. Why the gently caress is fishing so dope?!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Sekenr posted:

Steam discussion is right now full of crazy people going crazy

Link it you son of a bitch!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Jesus gently caress imagine being that petty.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Holy poo poo is the world gen interesting now, this was my starting planet:

The mountains were absolutely huge. This screenshot doesn't even really capture it, I wanted to get to the top of a massive peak behind me but I was playing survival and I was dying.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

You can leave dark soul style messages in your uploaded base for other travelers. Maybe that was in before this is the first time I'm playing.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I think this update is both fun and cool.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I will say, I am very much enjoying this game but gently caress are the controls criminally bad.

gently caress the "quick menu". gently caress the inconsistent use of q/e vs a/d. gently caress the fact that the game won't just let me bind things sensibly to my keyboard.

Let me bind "T" to switch perspectives. let me bind "i" to open my inventory. Let me bind "M" to open the galaxy map. Let me find "L" to turn on my flashlight.

God damnit!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

How the gently caress do you escape sentinels in space? I was too far from any planet to dive to the surface and I could never boost away. What a frustrating mechanic.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Have they fixed sentinels yet or are they still lovely? gently caress being forever locked into space battles.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

Jump in ship, jump back out of ship. Reload.

Wanted level doesn't carry over during reload

God damnit I don't wanna cheese the game I just want the sentinals to be somewhat balanced...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Phobeste posted:

Space combat is insanely easy on any difficulty tbh. Some tips:

- if you shoot enemies in the rear end they take multiples of damage. Avoid the head on pass and swing around to punish them after they pass you.
- Your starter ship has rockets you can switch to with triangle (not sure what it is on pc). This is a good way to punish enemies coming at you head on. If they take enough damage they’ll go into an evasive roll and stop firing and maneuvering. This gets them past you, then see above.
- your ship is remarkably tough. This is true on both survival and normal. Focus on one target and ignore the others. Remember, focus on one target because enemies are fully capable until they’re dead
- you actually have a locked on target you can switch with d pad sideways (again, on ps4, also I just think this is the key I forget). While you’re locked on, if the target is outside your FOV there will be a red arrow on the border of the screen pointing to them to fire on them
- remember, not all weapons are hitscan. If you have an active weapon that has a travel time there is a circle that is ahead of the enemy in their current direction of travel that you need to put your reticle on when you fire. Keep in mind that this is a projection of their current velocity, if they change speed or direction shots thst are on their way to the old location will miss. This is why you reserve rockets or ballista for when they’re on a head to head run and not maneuvering

Do the above and space fights are insanely easy. Just watch your fields of fire so you don’t hit he station or freighters or whatever

What I don't understand is just that the enemies never ever stop coming. If I get caught out away from a planet I am just hosed in an endless loop of forever being unable to boost.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Is there a full write up on how multiplayer actually works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I think I'm sick of survival and am going to switch to normal. It just feels grindy but not harder. Just annoying.