Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I picked this up during the summer sale, and I've been playing it a lot. It seems super great, I've been needing a good sandbox. Burned out on my usual suspects, like Kenshi and Valheim. It reminds me a lot of the old Privateer game, but obviously much more attractive and with much more to do. I can see how eventually it'll lose its charm, but right now I'm enjoying all of the variety that it has to offer. I just got a settlement, I've got a crappy freighter, a good fighter, lots of jetpack upgrades, working on a base! Always something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
drat, I got a production line set up to make fusion ignitors and thought I had infinite money. Just realized that when you reach 30 slots in your exosuit or ship or whatever, another row opens up. Apparently I do not have infinite money, I just have about a slot per day money.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the exosuit is cheap. I think slots on my multi tool are 110 million each, though

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
How difficult are the space battles for dreadnaught AI's? I'll fight sentinels all day long on foot, but I've never pushed it in space past the capital ship arriving.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

it's a lot easier than you probably think.

OK, this was true. I have a 27k DPS electron projector or whatever the spaceship shotgun is. Turrets blew up in a single shot each, capital ship basically went down after an unceremonious magdump or two.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

congratulations, you can now collect awesome sentinel ships/make shittons of money

I have a cool exotic ship that looks like a giant banana, I'm not sure that sentinel ships can do much better!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

On foot, if you're ballsy or geared enough, killing 5 waves of them will deactivate them

This is really the best. Get a blaze javelin with the 5 second stun and a shotgun. You can blast drones out of the sky about as fast as you can close with them using the shotgun. Stunlock walkers with periodic blaze javelin shots, then swap to the shotgun to clear any drones supporting them. The dogs type ones are actually the most difficult, because they seem glitchy and shots don't register with them. But if you get close and dump shotgun blasts into their face, they die like anything else.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

for ground combat you have to manually aim but yeah in space, you can just hold S to automatically track whatever target is locked and it will lead your guns as appropriate

Install space shotgun -> press aimbot button -> mash fire key -> explode pirates

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I was just wondering if I can do these missions since there is an objective "craft an exocraft" and I haven't been able to do that in single player yet. Does the expedition give me proper recipes automatically?

Anyways, I started Utopia, let's see if I can finish? It is definitely a bit overwhelming what I'm actually supposed to be doing since it's timed. Building a base took me a long time in single player.

I just started utopia today, played for about two hours and I’m more than halfway done. My first expedition, although I had played a lot of the regular game. The only thing you need a lot of that you aren’t given is chromatic metal, so grab any copper you see early on. Your bases are disposable, as you typically move on to the next planet quickly, so just make them four floor squares and some walls with a roof.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any information as to which expedition gives the Golden Vector? The original expedition that gave the ship isn't one they're re-running this year. Cartographers is the one I never finished but the ship isn't from that one either.

The blurb on Steam says that the Golden Vector comes from Cartographers, Dec. 22-29.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

And if you have trouble finding a bone planet, check the anomaly for a gather bones mission, it will point you to the nearest one.

Also if you just stand around in the anomaly for a while, someone is bound to drop a shitload of high value duped items into your inventory that you can sell for what will feel like infinite money early on.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

…how do I get a hermetic seal on this expedition? My ship won’t take off without one, and I can’t find any way to make one or buy one.

You can buy the recipe from the anomaly for a small number of nanites. Edit - read more closely - I had to get some recipe there that wasn’t provided… one of the recipes for a crafting material was provided through one of the early accomplishments, too. Why is your ship unable to take off?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I fixed the launch thruster, but the pulse engine needs repairing first too, and that requires a hermetic seal.

Do you have an unclaimed reward for finding the ship? Check the expeditions menu.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can summon the anomaly in that expedition.

Edit: You HAVE TO summon the anomaly several times in that expedition, because you have to speak to Nada repeatedly. But I remember doing it before it was actually an explicit mission goal.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 22, 2023

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any luck with Hooves of Thunder on the expedition? I searched all of the planets of the 5th rendezvous system, can't find anything big enough. Found randomly a 5.2m tall herbivore, but the requirement is OVER 5.2m. All of the advice I can find online is dated from the previous time the expedition was active and doesn't apply, unfortunately.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Perfect, thank you! Was stuck on that last one.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to put a save point on a freighter? I've been spending more time on my freighter base rather than a planetary base, but it's kind of annoying having to wait around for a save sometimes when logging off.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

Apparently while the Save Beacon is not buildable in the freighter, a Save Point is

https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Save_Point

Hmm, thanks! I had never picked up that particular recipe, as I didn't see how it was any different than the beacon.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever had a base just disappear? Do they deactivate or something if they aren't used much? I had three tiny bases that were just a prefab square with some solar panels, batteries, a teleporter, and a gas harvester. My nitrogen harvesting base just vanished from the portal list for no apparent reason. I don't go to any of them, because I have tons of gas hoarded that I never use. But that one particular one just disappeared. I don't even remember where it was, so I can't go and investigate.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I keep logging in to build larger and larger facilities that allow me to produce more and more expensive trade goods. I don't know why. I have trillions of units. I keep converting my harvested plants and materials into fusion ignitors and stasis devices, but I don't really have any reason to. There's always some bottleneck material (currently star bulbs) that stops me from making even more, so I keep expanding my farms. When I discovered that double cultivation chambers on your freighter cost no energy and can harvest 4 plants at once, that just intensified my madness.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lordshmee posted:

Is this done via a new base teleporter on the other side? This’ll only be my second time through one and I never learned how to transit between galaxies.

You can just do it from the Anomaly or local space station teleporter, too.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Good to know. I'd really like to find one next to some kind of mineral or gas one, but that's probably too much to ask.

You'd be surprised! I've got a base at the first portal I randomly encountered that has both a gas and electric node. My first underwater base that I created before I even knew about the surveying tool had both a gas and electric node nearby, as well. Anecdotal, sure, but I did not go out of my way to search for this stuff. If you're actively looking for a spot that has both, I suspect you'll be able to find it pretty easily. You can expand out the buildable area on a base to quite a huge degree, if you find anything remotely nearby.

But also, if you want to farm, highly recommend doing it on a freighter. The harvesting is much, much faster because you do clusters of plants rather than individual plants.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

as long as you do base-extending techniques you can power whatever mine you feel like mining

Also, ran into this for the first time the other week, apparently you have to restart the game or at least quit to the main menu after establishing a base before you can expand the boundaries by building. I set up a new base and tried to immediately push out the radius and kept hitting the wall, had a very WTF moment.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've accumulated a pretty huge amount of magnetised ferrite from frigate expeditions. The industrial and balanced ones often return it in quantities of 500. Probably not suitable for your immediate needs, but keeping those running daily really brings in a lot of various resources.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Made it out to Goon Prime last night and set up a basic prefab base near the portal, but I haven't had time to do anything much more than that. Looking forward to exploring over the next few days and maybe building something more developed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One of the featured bases in the anomaly (I’m assuming these are the same for everyone?) is in eissentam, which is only two galaxy jumps to the goon galaxy. That’s in comparison to 12 or so from the starting galaxy.