Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I am just getting into this game and trying to digest everything. One thing that I am struggling with is playing without any kind of map, am I missing it, or is there just not one? The closest thing I have is when I'm flying my ship around this first planet where I made my base, I can see icons on the radar but I don't know what they are and they're all a 5-10min flight away. Last night I flew out to one of the icons to check it out and found a bunch of angry robots that attacked me then followed me all the way back to my base.

I did find a small trading hub near my base on accident, but then I couldn't remember where it was and didn't want to burn fuel flying around to find it. I also managed to find a distress call for a damaged ship, repaired it enough to fly it but now I don't know what to do with it or where to go to sell/salvage it, or how I would go about keeping it (it's better than the starter ship).

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself because my current tutorial goal is to learn the blueprint for the biofuel generator but I haven't found the resource I need to unlock it yet. If I focus on the tutorial goals, will they eventually lead me to traders and other points of interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
That makes sense, thanks for the detailed explanation. The vastness of this game is pretty crazy but I'll keep on the tutorial for now and figure the rest out as I go.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I got this game a few weeks ago on sale and am about 60 hours in, it's a lot of fun. I feel like they did a good job with the various mechanics and my only complaint so far is that some things are not explained very well. Like when they threw me into my first few pirate battles, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to attack the trade ships, I just saw that they were giving me cargo for destroying them and thought "hell yeah! free loot!". Later I realized I was supposed to be defending the traders... whoops! Maybe it was mentioned in one of the notes that pop up, but it's hard to keep track of them in a heated space battle.

Does anyone have any tips on inventory management? My exosuit is usually at least 75% full of random resources and items that I think I might need while questing but I never really know what I'm actually going to need. So far I have 3 giant storage containers in my base that I'm trying to keep straight (one for resources, one for "items" and one for upgrade modules) but those are quickly filling up. Other than looking up every item on the wiki, how do I know what to keep? I usually trade away anything that has a use description that only includes "trading" but other stuff is less obvious, like the fake passport I got 50 hours ago that I've never used.

Also, is there a reason to keep every upgrade module I get, or should I for example delete anything that is a C-class upgrade? I currently only have 2 ships, 1 frigate, 1 roamer and 1 minotaur. I imagine I should keep upgrades for future crafts? So far I haven't used anything but my ship for travel. Regarding weapons, I pretty much only use the boltcaster on my multi-tool, every other weapon I've tried seems lackluster. On my ship I use the photon cannons on shields and then 1 blast from the rocket launcher 1-shots most ships. Again, every other weapon I've tried seems not great. Am I missing something or is it just personal preference and upgrades?

What about base locations? How many bases do people usually have and where do you put them? I still only have my first base I've been expanding on an ice planet and have no idea where to build more or if I even need to. Does it just come down to whether I find a planet with specific resources that I want to revisit frequently and a base provides a quick teleport? Or is it best to plop one down in far away galaxies that I might want to get back to?

Lastly, this happened earlier, I logged in and there was land clipping through my base. I used my terrain manipulator to flatten it and it seems to have fixed it, but it was bizarre none the less.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Thank you both for your input, it clears up a lot of questions I've had. I guess I forgot that I could disassemble the upgrades, and I haven't been selling them because they never showed up to sell at a trade terminal. But I just realized I actually have to sell them via the vendors, not the terminals. So either way I'm about to clear up some inventory space. I can't believe after all these years the devs haven't focused more on improving inventory management.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Bit of a different question, but has anyone had issues with the game crashing? For the first 45 hours or so, it wasn't an issue but lately, maybe 1 out of every 10 times I exit my ship or exocraft, the game just freezes then crashes with no specific error, just "the game is not responding" windows message. My computer is new, I built it in the last few months. It's just annoying so I'm throwing it out there in case there's a solution.