Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I started playing this game again due to the update and it is a lot better now

however I have a question, forgive me if this has been covered already: whats up with building bases underwater?? like the rooms are all just filled with water. you think they'd be sealed? is that a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

You might need the actual structure pieces to build safely underwater. Are you trying to build with the wall and ceiling pieces?

no even the prebuilt round or square rooms come filled with water - basically seems like no matter how you build a base the water level inside of it matches the water level outside of it

Viperix posted:

I think it's a bug. My current base is underwater and is not filled with water. The only problem is it sounds like I'm walking in water everywhere.

that is even weider. is your base entirely underwater? in mine im not even walking in water, im swimming

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Some Goon posted:

I daresay you're unlikely to even chance upon traces of another player in Euclid, unless maybe they're more dense towards the galactic core.

the area around the galactic hub project is pretty dense, but it's very unlikely that you'd end up there by accident

the most common "traces of another player" ive encountered scattered around is systems where 1-2 of the planets has some really dumb name and if you land on it so do some of the animals. but if you get close to the hub you'll start running into actual bases

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 28, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it's kind of weird to me that after all the stuff they have added to the game over the last few years there are still no options to customize any aspect of your spaceship's appearance. even your ground vehicles you can now at least paint different colors. putting ships together out of different components or at least, simply being able to change their color scheme seems like a pretty basic thing we should have had a long time ago. is it something they are intentionally avoiding?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I think ships and multitools fall on the Discovery Side of the equation by design. Its neat to know you have a super unique starship that you found and that you like and that may be the only one exactly like it in the universe that anyone else has ever found.

i've been playing this game since launch and every single spaceship i've seen just looks like a very slight variation of one of a few "types" made of the same components in very slightly different configurations. including the exotic ones. so i can't really say i've experienced the feeling of having a "super unique starship" but it does seem like it would be fun to play around with those components myself and see what i could put together

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mailer posted:

The ship/freighter/tool thing is just like weird worlds or wacky bases - they exist so you can share them. If you add customization a lot of that indirect multiplayer and out-of-game community goes away.

couldn't they just make it so that if you build your own ship you have the option to make that ship shareable with other players? or it becomes one of the "random" ships that lives in that particular system or something for other players to find

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

how is there an "endgame"? i thought the whole point of the game was just getting high and looking at planets and building weird poo poo on them. the end is whenever you get tired of that. even if you go to the center of the galaxy it just goes to another galaxy

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

haveblue posted:

No, that's pretty much it. Your endgame goals are to build the best base, build the best ship, or reach the center of the galaxy, and you can do all of those as many times as you want. It does eventually become a pure sightseeing game, which is ironically what it already was at launch when everyone hated it.

at least there are actual sights to see now. imo one of the biggest problems at launch was that you were meant to be exploring billions of planets but they all look like a handful of the same types over and over again. thats still kind of true, but there are more planet types now and they are more interesting and theyve definitely improved the kinds of weird animals and storms and such you can encounter. a sightseeing game is only as good as its sights

ive always hoped they would start adding different biomes to a planet as well so that planets didnt look basically the same no matter which part you visit but have actual polar caps and desert vs jungle regions and permastorm areas and so on. maybe next update

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tetrabor posted:

Can't stress enough that this is my issue, sure every planet is *slightly* different, but not different enough after you've jumped through four or five systems. I'm also surprised at the lack of (Jupiter-like) gas planets considering they can make for extremely attractive backdrops (and maybe interesting gameplay mechanics.)

i assume the lack of gas giants is due to them not wanting to really deal with gravity in a substantial way. they are hundreds of times bigger than regular planets and have absolutely crushing gravitational fields and massive permanent storms etc.

same reason there aren't any actual stars in the game, every system has 1-3 stars but they are just part of the skybox and you cant navigate towards them, neither their heat nor gravitational fields are modelled in the game and the planets dont actually orbit anything. and whether a planet is hot or cold etc has nothing to do with its position in the system, its random.

almost every planet is somewhere between the venus to mars spectrum basically, except that there are no planets like earth with different biomes on them

Tetrabor posted:

Our system only has one life-habitat planet (that we know of) while NMS makes it so 99% of planets are inhabited in some form.

i dont mind that since habited planets are more interesting, though i wish there was a bit more variation in how its done. like actual cities and roads somewhere. or habitation that looks more old than having just been built by recent space travellers. the huge archival buildings from the most recent update are a good start on that.

blarzgh posted:

Its not a simulation of our own universe?

i think the problem is that its a simulation of a much more boring and repetitive universe than ours. although like i said, the origins update has helped a lot

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 27, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Multi-biome planets would be rad as heck, but there may be no way to quality test it properly to avoid getting billions of planets with random, scrambled biomes that make even less sense than single-biome planets. It may or may not be possible to add in constraints like "only allow X biome in this latitude range".

Also it'd 100% for sure blow up nearly every existing player base if they made that big of a change to the worldgen. Definitely something I'd like to see them to if they ever decide to make NMS 2 instead of iterating on the existing game.

theoretically they could add multibiome planets as a new planet type without loving with any of the existing ones

i dont think there would be a way to do it that "made sense" according to actual astrophysics since planets dont have different areas with different climates and many of them would indeed be random, but that could still be cool especially if they came up with some way to have them mix together on their borders instead of just crossing neatly from one to another

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thundarr posted:

I'm not sure they can just add entire planets, actually. New planet types, sure, but then everything in the universe gets re-compiled based on whatever algorithm tweak was made to add the new planet type.

Plus adding planets that weren't there before would undermine what little lore the game has :v:

sure they can, the origins update added a ton of new planets. like 0-3 new planets per system or something, somewhere in the millions. thats how they were able to add new planet types with huge rear end mountain ranges without loving up any player bases

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

marktheando posted:

Yeah the new planet types are all new planets, to avoid messing with people's bases (in theory anyway, pretty sure at least one of my bases changed planet type).

the origins update both added new planets and changed some elements of existing planets. the geography is unaltered but the color palettes, and some of the flora and fauna have all been changed and some of them have different weather now too. the new planets they added have different kinds of geography like bigger mountains and canyons etc which would have broken bases

they also added new stars in the sense that some systems are now binary or triple systems, but thats purely cosmetic

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mailer posted:

People complaining about the selection of planet biomes currently would switch to complaining about the lack of diversity on multi-biome planets.

right, that's a good thing, and eventually they'd increase the diversity on multibiome planets too. people vocally pushing for more features tends to have good results as the devs are generally responsive to it, the origins update has done a lot to improve the diversity of planets which is something a ton of people complained about

quote:

It'd still be billions of worlds with the same handful of biomes, but now if you wanted to you could see a different biome without leaving a planet in a game where staying on one planet is the opposite of the goal.

i think the scope of what "the goal" is and can be should be widened rather than narrowed for a game like this. since we can build somewhat cool bases on planets there's plenty of incentive to stick around on ones you like, especially since the community has started actually settling certain areas of the euclid and other galaxies. the galactic hub for example is starting to feel like an actual city (well, sort of) specifically because of people sticking around and building it up and i think thats one of the coolest developments of this whole thing

it would also give more of a purpose to exploration of planets via the several land vehicles theyve given us, but which arent particularly useful right now because once youve seen any small bit of a planet youve seen all of it

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 28, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, that's great to hear.

I never got far enough to know but are you meant to establish a base that you return to with teleporters/your ship or is the expectation to keep hoping planets like a cosmic nomad?

thats up to you. you can build one base and live there and keep going back to it and use it as a hub (you can teleport to your base from any space station) or you can build a new base on every planet you visit or you can just ignore the whole base building thing. some people build farms for various elements and stuff like that and there are autoharvesters now to help

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its true every kind of weather in the game is some kind of super intense storm. it would be nice if there were planets where its just kind of overcast and theres a nice constant gentle rain all day. a planet like england or oregon

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i love oregon its a beautiful place and will be touring around up there with my band as soon as all this virus poo poo is over. in the meantime an oregon planet in nmd will do if i can find one

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 28, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

creative mode is awesome

this baby does not enjoy grinding and just wants to fly around looking at planets and building bases without spending even a second worrying about resource or inventory management

also for obvious reasons the bases of other players you can encounter in creative mode are way more ridiculous

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my first pet. "leggy"

he's slow but he handles most kinds of terrain better than the land vehicles

Glazius posted:

My word. Does he fit on the Anomaly? I suppose all those gigantic ramps and doors make sense now.

unfortunately some creatures seem to shrink on the anomaly. also they aren't really "there" they are like a holoprojection when on the anomaly

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 18, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

question about multiplayer:

i have a base on a planet that is the "capital" of the galactic hub project. in xbox on creative mode. my base is on a hill overlooking a portal, and i have several neighbors that i can see from my windows. there are also a ton of other bases all over that planet as well as a few on some of the others in the system.

at least, sometimes. but sometimes some or all of the other players' bases are missing. if i go to the anomaly i'll see other players there so the multiplayer is still working in that sense, but for some reason no bases are loading in the actual system

anyone know whats up with that?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea its unfortunate that creatures are so much slower when you are riding them, the first one i tamed was fast as hell and i only caught him because he got trapped against a cliff and i was able to run up underneath, but riding him just makes him way way slower for some reason

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my guess is that the new addition is an 18th century style compass and other classic "age of sail" items like telescopes and sextants and such for your ship's cockpit, and maybe some options for nice wood panelling in the freighter

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there are a lot of galactic level navigation improvements they could make, especially if they are multiplayer oriented like making it easier to navigate to places like the galactic hub and other "civilization" centers without using third party tools like pilgrim star path.

im pretty sure there used to be a way to scan for nearby systems discovered by other players but it was removed a long time ago

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 29, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Libluini posted:

Only after several years of playing did I notice I could just unlock my cursor from the routing and manually move and target star systems.

to be fair i dont remember if that was actually possible at first, theyve hosed around with the map a lot. and yeah the auto-router is definitely still broken

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if there's a bunch of dead guys and a suitcase full of cash just walk away

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AirRaid posted:

I’ve said for a while that all the worst parts of this game involve multiple players in close proximity on planets. Either the game can’t handle things properly, or of it can, players being lovely gently caress it up anyway.

The only reason the anomaly works is because you essentially cannot meaningfully interact with others there.

Playing together with a friend or two is nice, but when people gather in numbers it’s a shitshow.

i mainly play in creative mode and the main galactic hub planet is pretty crowded, but the only problem ive had is the game not being able to load all the nearby bases at once. havent seen any players do anything lovely at all

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are all the random starts in expeditions in the Euclid galaxy? wonder what effect its having on population density in various areas

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

There are no random starts in Expeditions. Everyone starts on the same planet and the population density is heavy enough to really push the game beyond what it can handle.

wait what? i havent played since the update dropped and i definitely read it wrong. that seems like a terrible idea!

the capital planet of the galactic hub project is like that and its a pain in the rear end to navigate there, seems like thats going to gently caress up a whole region

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

The part that really annoys me is I hardly made any manual terrain edits because I just played Valheim and remembered how that hosed with performance, so almost every terrain change was just from putting a structure down and you'd think the game would be able to remember those simply because the buildings are still there.

Oh well. I went and made an underwater base somewhere just for fun and since that involved almost no terrain edits even placing structures I'll just use that as my main one from now on (although, annoyingly, I can't put a manual save down because there are too many on this planet already, another weird limitation)

iirc the game also has issues keeping track of which underwater rooms are supposed to have water in them, which i found more annoying than the terrain regen thing last time i tried making an underwater base. but possibly theyve fixed that by now!

ive also seen the game "forget" entire buildings on multiple occasions, then remember them much later, so i dont think the issue is just terrain edits

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

almost no base parts

pretty sure there was no base parts or base building whatsoever in the initial launch version

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Portals have some specific logic around them to ensure a player can't encase it in a structure, even if thst structure is large. Basically it's fine for the player that built it, but for anyone else it won't load any structure objects at all.

was this recently implemented? ive definitely seen other players build structures around the portal on the main galactic hub planet in creative mode

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Yeah I think the coordinate exchange is extremely cool for ship hunting but the odds of finding the ship structure AND class AND in the color scheme you're after are just demoralizing lol

theyve made so many changes to this game and added so many features its weird that they wont add a simple "paint/customize your spaceship" tool

i mean i get that they want you to discover ships organically and all that but at least being able to change interior and exterior color schemes would be very nice and wouldnt detract from that, i mean you can even paint the freighters so why not your smaller ships?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Don't Ask posted:

I managed to find one planet that was kinda weird, but that's it so far. I've still got the initial mutli-tool and my ship is just some regular design. How do I actually find cool and unique tools/ships/planets? I've already visited some blue and green systems but they didn't really seem all that different.

you can either do it the organic way, e.g. hang around in space stations and trade depots until a cool ship shows up, fly around randomly to different systems checking out planets until you find a cool one, etc.

or you can go to sites like the portal repository or the coordinate exchange where people post the portal coords of interesting planets and the locations of high quality ships https://nmsce.com/nmsce.html and https://portalrepository.com/

as for multitools you can get new ones in the space stations

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I was going to ask if there was a little hub where goons tried to build near or anything like that. I've seen planets and animals discovered by other players, but never naturally stumbled on any installations, but geez, even if I landed on a inhabited place, planets are so big how would I ever randomly bump into it. I read an article there was a group that established a sector of space they built, then a patch messed it up and they relocated.

Honestly kind of wish that was the post-game quest: Just build up civs, encourage players to congregate on worlds and try to build up separate towns and villages on the same surface. Build communal highways and structures Death Stranding style.

There are a few hubs and "civilizations" out there. They are mostly organized on reddit, I don't know of any goon specific ones. I have a base in creative mode on the capital system of the Galactic Hub Project, one of the largest civilizations, and my base is right next to a portal, so it's a fairly high trafficked area of the planet.

Unfortunately, the game does not handle several bases in close proximity to each other very well, especially large and elaborate ones. What happens is in a given session some bases will load and some won't, so it never really looks like a "city" even when a planet gets crowded. I did in fact built a road that went to my nearest neighbor's place, in that Death Stranding spirit, but that neighbor's base hasn't spawned for me since the last update. Usually there are about 5-20 visible player bases scattered around that capital planet, and it's the most crowded planet I saw until the expeditions.

edit: i just double checked some wikis and turns out the planet I was talking about is now the former capital. i have not yet visited the new one.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 28, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

I cannot believe they haven't improved the third person ship UI

player ships seem like the lowest priority of the game, in terms of poo poo they change/fix (aside from a recent patch where they added a ship from a different video game for some crossmarketing bullshit reason)

even just changing between first/third person view is a bit more annoying than it ought to be

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just bought the game on Steam, what have i let myself in for?

Have played Avorion & Space Engineers but this looks more towards... Fallout? (never played it).

its nothing like fallout. the most similar game i can think of is Astroneer. but its fairly different from that as well

if you enjoy grinding play in normal mode or maybe survival, you'll spend a lot of time collecting and scavanging and organizing and farming

if you hate grinding play in creative mode, and you can explore and build to your hearts content without worrying about micromanagement. definitely the most chill way to play, you can just zoom from planet to planet forever, and there are billions of them

technically there is combat in the game but its not at all the focus and it kind of sucks, but that doesnt matter because its fairly easily avoided

also a lot of good ambient music in the game, an aspect of it that is very underrated imo

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 18, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Still hoping for planets with multiple types of biomes.

same. multi-biome planets and customizable ships (even just changing the color scheme) are the additions ive been hoping for with every patch!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what's everyone's preferred method of play?

i play in creative mode mainly. for some reason this seems very rare, as i never see anyone itt or anywhere else mention it and lots of people complain about grinding for this or farming for that and all kinds of tedious poo poo, but i play in creative mode because i like building bases and exploring planets and i dislike inventory management or resource limitations, and creative mode just lets you build and explore forever without having to deal with any of that. so i spend a lot of time loving around building massive bases in different styles and just cruising around smoking weed and listening to music and checking out random planets. if you go to one of the more populated planets in this mode you can see people build massive skyscraper bases that reach into orbit

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 16, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mailer posted:

I realize this is a massively unpopular opinion in 2021, but you asked: Without video game mechanics I don't play video games. The existence of puzzles/problems creates gameplay out of the building side of it.

i dont think that opinion is super unpopular. i think there are a lot of people who want some sense of accomplishment when they play games, and overcoming various challenges creates that sense of accomplishment. thats why there's poo poo like permadeath mode and why we have achievements and so on.

but thats just not what im after, i play games to relax not to get stuff done. i have enough poo poo to get done in real life. i play lots of other games this way too, like i love GTA but i hate the story missions and spend most of my time just driving around and around the landscape in different cars. its just a way to unwind and experience cruising on the road a bit without the physical consequences of doing it in real life

i guess what seems odd to me is that creative mode seems so much less popular with this particular game. like i get that there are plenty of people who aren't into super chill, aimless, casual gaming but i thought this game specifically would attract more

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you want to have more of a multiplayer experience outside of expeditions and the nexus and specific adventures you can navigate to one of the main "civilization hubs" to experience a more crowded universe. i think the Galactic Hub Project is the biggest but there are others. i have a base on the capital planet and while it doesnt feel remotely like a city you do bump into other players and their bases fairly often, it is a nice change from the emptiness of most of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am still mystified by the science of correctly ordering hyperdrives in the inventory and just kind of shuffle them at random till the highest number comes up