Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ijii posted:

I feel bad for people on console who can't really mod their games. I do it so I don't have to do crappy grinds. If there's going to be competitive multiplayer aspects to the game (like a rocket league type mode or whatever), I might start over without mods, especially to experience everything again from a VR perspective.

Because they've reset the universe twice I've lost any sort of my normal distaste for this sort of thing. I put 100 hours in before they wiped my poo poo the first time, gently caress it, I'm editing my save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think this run of the game (I usually play while the Olympics are going because it's a good game to play while also consuming more sports than healthy) is the most fun since pretty near the release. I actually liked the game as it started and have found a lot of the additions took me away from the stuff I liked rather than enhanced the game for me. The base resets, having to redo tutorials that I already did, being stranded on the wrong side of a portal, after an update, didn't usually make whatever thing that was new worth it, or anything but bolted on. But I think everything now the systems all work together well enough that I don't feel like I wasted my time doing all those missions or tutorials and such.

And I didn't plan on engaging with the living ship stuff but someone gave me the parts randomly while I was just at the Nexus (gating some of the cool designs there was probably smart because I never ever would've gone to the multiplayer zone otherwise but it's a pretty fascinating place if you are kind of making a story up in your head about this as you go like I am), and getting surprised by the pulse drive event was fun and I've enjoyed going down that rabbit hole.

I do hope they do some work to ships like people were talking about a few pages ago. I wish flying was either more fun or that it could be more automated, either way would work for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

agreed. namely, the combat is bland and unengaging, which is my biggest complaint. even against the hardest enemies, using the default lasers with no upgrades i can take them easily. maybe make what kind of weapon is most effective against the enemy (and you) tied to ship type, ie fighters are weak to missiles and haulers are weak to beams or whatever, and also just overhaul the spaceflight mechanics, let us have upgrades for agility that come at the cost of shielding and vice versa, etc. i don't need it to be like, tie fighter levels of depth or anything, but i also don't want it to feel as extraneous and pointless as the arwing sections from starfox adventures.

Some rock paper scissors does sound nice because once you find your pet weapon (or, just use the starting ones because as you say they're good enough) there's no real reason to change. If anything I should probably uninstall everything from my daily flyer, it was just so hard to get the stuff for some of those weapons in the old days that it is a hard to.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They technically do but the bonus also pales in comparsion to a freighter anyways, so I usually stick with an exotic with nearly-no-hyperdrive on it and get to skip the hassle of pirate attacks ever showing up

I think this is a thing where I have to get over all the workarounds I came up with to make the universe more navigable. SInce just loving accidentally losing your ship used to be a thing, I never used my freighter to warp anywhere, and instead just parked it in The Birdy System because it's a place I always remember how to get back to via portal address (all birds) and with my freighter there, always a way to get my ship back. But I guess now that I can just summon my ships anywhere I can start using it to travel.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Today I learn what happens if you build a base close enough to another that it your electrical hot spot is actually a part of the new base.

It actually seems to leave what you have grandfathered in and flowing to the other base but not fully understanding what was happening and why the other generators I built were not part of the grid, I tried to rebuild and well…I guess that oxygen mine I was only going to half use is going to have plenty of power.

I also noticed that several base-size extension structures have become part of the new base. I guess I should probably remove those to avoid further overlap.

All of this because I noticed the ceiling lights didn’t come on in a building that I don’t really give a gently caress about and am making a restaurant as a lark.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Can someone explain to me what the lockers do in the Colossal Archives? For the life of me I can't figure out what goes in them, even after reading the wiki.

drat though that is one of the coolest moments ever, when you are idlely looking for space trash on the floor and you come over a ridge and see like the deathstar just hanging out on the ground.

Khablam posted:

I could be wrong in 2021, but TTBOMK whilst you can group crossplatform and do everything / see everything together, base discovery is platform locked.
Bear it in mind when considering who'd visit indium mines before you effort a setup for instance.

IMO the game really shines the most when you co-op with a friend and go on a free form adventure and set goals as you go.

There are symbols next to people's bases that indicate whether or not they are console (although I don't know which ones) or steam players. As long as you're in the same universe and same mode I think you'd probably be able to find another player's base with a combo of portal coordinates and longitude/latitude coordinates. Which is a really arduous way to find anything I admit. But doable!

The game is so weird when there's a lot of people in the same place. I spent a good amount of time today in the Void Egg place and it was pretty wild.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well, I guess it’s a bad idea to leave stuff in your refiner before logging off at regular times, much less before patches. Bye bye my entire supply of chlorine.

I think once I get used to the build menu I am going to like it more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

But how will you make chemical weapons...oh wait that's Rimworld.

Chemical weapons in this game would be cool because it would be extremely funny that the mining laser was still way more deadly.

Space Jam posted:

Yeah, and don’t walk too far away from Medium refineries either. I had a few on my frigate refining chlorine and decided to fly down to my base real quick, but when I got back all of it disappeared. I’m not sure if this also affects large refineries as well.

Good to know. I was planning on dropping a bunch of mold in there later, probably should wait until a later patch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I made the mistake of first leaving orbit in a rather crowded solar system.

Don’t do that if you want to do the frontier thing. My frontier is claimed by another.

Survival and normal universes appear to be merged in some places too.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 1, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Some of this is my underwater radon factory being hosed up after the patch (the water went up about 10 feet turning a half underwater base into an all underwater base. Uhh also all the doors stopped working so I had to build some more).

The other part of this is me finding out that the snapping on foundations is broken and you can now build structure sides-up/down. It's not as fun as it looks because they stick a giant foundation interior thingy in the middle though.

This motherfucker parked on my space boat )=-

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was able to work around the thing where the settlement I was initially alerted to was already claimed. I did have to complete the initial "kill sentinels" mission but then I just used a settlement chart on a different planet and when I went there it acted as if this is the settlement I had done the sentinel killing at all along and I just picked the quests up from there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I'd assume they're per planet but since you can only have one settlement per save file I don't know that anyone's dug into the nuances yet, even before the obvious issues that make it hard to tell what's "intended functionality" and what's busted to poo poo

my settlement spawned in a gigantic form-fit crater, complete with obviously eradicating the section of cave system that was originally underneath it, so the vertical crater walls have cave holes in them

It seems like it is generally one per planet and that is probably the intent, but there have been at least according to a person I was talking to in game yesterday, there are a few instances where at least one more has been found, maybe due to bugs. The mode overlaps might be to blame for that, if Survival and Normal are bleeding together it would explain that.

Maybe I should have just waited instead of getting rid of all my moon doors yesterday.

They didn't used to fix the game this fast!

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 2, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, I'm more or less jumping in new for Frontier. Any good guides for a new player to avoid doing some incredibly stupid stuff/getting stuck somewhere/some way to get nanites and money faster than molasses/etc?

I watched this video not too long ago and don't disagree with a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7KVFBBtGvY

The game was so different when I started out that some of this stuff I don't exactly have experience with, but I agree that it really hampered me out trying to build a farm before I had enough of the tech tree explored and also there are parts of the game that are really hard without a frig.

I honestly have no clue how to farm nanites personally. I wish I had known earlier that refining the garbage like slime and goop eventually leads you to nanites because I sold thousands of them and have no clue how one gets like 50,000 of them to improve tier of weapons or whatever.

Money is easy though once you have a fairly well researched tech tree and are ready to build a farm. Building stasis devices is your ultimate goal and will make you a billionaire but you start to have as much money as you need once you can build living glass. But like I said focusing on this too much early will get you stuck and burnt out, just saying what plants you might want to start your farm on (ice plant,

You can also just say "gently caress it' and just mine Condensed Iridium if you can find it and have more money than you ever need in like 48 hours. Although I think you probably have to get pretty far down the upgrade tree of your ship to find it unless you get really lucky.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Libluini posted:

There are basically four easy ways to get nanites:

1) Scan everything
2) Refine platinum
3) Buy and scrap ships, sell tech upgrades to the tech servants
4) Scan everything

If you have lots of refiners and industry, 2) is worthwhile, otherwise buying and selling ships. But if you're just starting out, moving around and scanning everything works the best, until you get the money for 3) or the bases set up for 2)

I guess I should switch from space mold to platinum. 3) seems the fastest way to do it but I actually have six ships I like and that I each have a purpose (aka extra inventory slots for crafting) for so I'd hate to just dump one.

Agreed on the other stuff but that basically just usually leaves me with thousands of nanites instead of tens of thousand of nanites. I guess now that I have almost every blueprint you can buy with nanites already I'm running out of things to spend them on so it should be easier to save them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

LashLightning posted:

I've had the game in my Steam library for a while now, and just really started playing it in the last couple of weeks. I didn't realise, heading for the second(?) space station, that the big ship that got in my way and the pirates that attacked me were the event for getting a freighter. I had already encountered Sentinel(?) ships that attacked me on a planet before hand and I felt that I had my fill of the ship-to-ship combat after some frustrating experience with it. I must have also accidentally shot down a 'friendly' as I lost Gek reputation after shooting down a ship there - the confusion about the situation is what made me decide to hot-tail it out of there.

Maybe I'll be able to find it again, maybe another event will pop up. I've found a B class ship that I'm working on fixing up, and I hope to find a better multi-tool as I've picked up a couple upgrades now that I can't fit into my current one unless I destroy a bolter-improving upgrade I added earlier, and I can't get the drat UI to stop telling me to add the new upgrade.
it'll be a very nice ship indeed.

You'll definitely get another event again, they're not as frequent as they used to be (it used be like one out of every 4 warps or something dumb like that) but they are frequent enough that I still save out of habit before warping.

I'm not going to say it's easy because I remember at first struggling with it, but once I got the hang of space fighting (hitting the brakes) I wondered why it was ever a problem.

E: And a positron ejector really trivializes things if you build one.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 4, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It’s too bad they don’t incorporate in the main game. I don’t know what the point of uploading your base is if you can’t actually restore that although I guess that just means Microsoft is the OS of the future.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The new effects when mining crystals is pretty cool. Remember when all the elements used to just be crystals on the planets?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Devor posted:

Narrator: They did not.

Invest in ion batteries for recharging instead of trying to recharge with sodium constantly.

Reminder that you can summon exocraft from the start, so don't be dumb like me and grind everything out on foot at first.

gently caress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
In my expedition somehow another base got bugged into my base, and it was differently oriented. It has basically turned it to a 1970s style church, architecturally, very modernist. I can’t delete any of the other base’s structures which means I can’t get into 3/4 of the stuff I built, but the other base already had a galactic trade interface just barely poking through a wall, which really saved on the busy work of Phase 2 so no complaints here.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have had a bug for a long time where factories don't give me a chance to ever spend my factory overrides. Normally not a big deal since I can usually just head to the anomaly when I need a recipe but in the expedition . . . this is really inconvenient because I have three factories on my continent and the outpost that unlocks the alloy recipes as a reward is 20 hours away. So what can be done?

Truth be told I started heading in the direction of the outpost last night, hopeful that reports of things not actually taking as long as the reports to be accurate. Unfortunately apparently, I have the entire pacific ocean between me and the place so instead of speeding through poo poo on the pioneer I am hopping across the ocean floor in a minotaur. The time is definitely not accurate but at some point the ocean got really deep and it wasn't just hopping in a direction I had to make sure I could get over walls and was going 10-20 minutes without seeing land. Eventually I finally found a large island and decided to build a base and take a break and think.

I have to be missing something, there has to be some other way to get herox.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 11, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

A large refiner, 30 Ammonia, 20 silver or tritium and 60 cobalt (or 30 ionised cobalt).

I think that's (possibly) less "a bug" and more "there's more than one kind of factory"-- some of them have puzzles but reward you with credits or nanites or other specific dumb poo poo. The last time I was explicitly farming recipes one pain in the rear end factory override at a time, there was a distinct correlation between what the actual name of the "facility" involved was and whether or not you even got the option to select a blueprint once you did it. I don't recall the exact name and it may have changed since last I did it, though

Herox options outside of that are
- get lucky with buried minerals/crystal structures, OR
- Buy a Large Refiner and combine
-- 60 Ammonia plus
-- 120 Cobalt OR 60 Ionized Cobalt plus
-- 40 Tritium OR 40 Silver OR 20 Gold OR 10 Platinum

or just get someone who's already done it to hop in a multiplayer session and hand it to you

Thank you both. I am now ready for take off finally.

The hard part ended up being the salt, there isn't the usual amount there is underwater (I did find some last night, a grand total of 5 in an hour of jumping across the ocean floor) I had to end up making a medium refiner to make it so I could make the large refiner. Which is probably the intended path except I have never built a medium refiner for any reasons other than aesthetics before since my home world is a salty world in my usual save.

Funny enough when I logged in initially, my base was bug merged with a person's base who already had a medium refiner so I thought it was fortune smiling on me, but just as I finished the chain of the things I needed to make salt, I placed the large refiner my game crashed and my last save was before I started making the salt and when I reloaded the base had unmerged.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I'm exceptionally curious where Salt enters into the equation, I didn't need any for any reason this expedition

but grats on escaping the hellworld

I needed it to craft the large refiner.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Go outside of the build range of your base and put it down again (or remove your base computer, slap down your exobays, and then rebuild the base computer)

yeah it's dumb as poo poo

I'm looking at a large refiner recipe that's 200 Chromatic Metal, 100 Sodium Nitrate, 5 Microprocessors?

What in the .... hahah I think I conflated sodium nitrate and salt in my head and decided I needed it. Whoops.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Having multiplayer on gave me good feelings at first in the expo, people were coming and visiting and saying hi . . . but then I got into a point where someone circled bases completely around my starting base, which meant I couldn't do the mining challenge . . .so I moved up to another planet . . . it is a nice place, all the plants give a ton of carbon. Unfortunately someone decided to chain murder me from the sky. That definitely soured my experience. Overall

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

PeePot posted:

Welp, looks like I have a Twitch account now. drat I feel old, how many boats have I missed...
The ships not going to replace my LEGO blue fighter, but I'll get my first flying companion.

Go to Tik Tok next. It's good if you give yourself to the 'rithim.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

5er posted:

I haven't seen a planet without a hazard since like 2017.

One of the streams I was watching today seemed to find a paradise planet with chill animals. Usually that is the problem with paradise planet is they have aggressive predators.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There's something quite a lot of fun about running around with a giant baby biological horror pet. "Sorry! My growing boy gots to eat" has become my new phrase of choice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

queeb posted:

do the rewards from expeditions carry over to other saves?

The phase awards do but not the ones in between.

I think I'm just finishing up loose ends here and there and am probably going to start playing death loop instead but this game stuck with me this playthrough way longer than usual.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Colossus was really good back in the day when it was still a lot of work to upgrade your personal storage and now it's still useful as just moving strip mine machine.

These days I basically just have it set up as my stasis machine assembly factory and it doesn't go much farther than one side of my base to other if it moves at all.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah I just started this season and it's not fun. Basebuilding is already the weakest part of NMS, but putting you down surrounded by other people with objectives you just can't do because other bases are already placed is just bad design.

Yeah whatever algorithm they used to distribute players really screwed some people over. And just the nature of the game, and the tricks that people use to extend the size of their base, they encourage people to box everyone else in around them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Libluini posted:

I still don't know why landing pads only snap to cuboid rooms and nothing else, but whatever. I perfectly snapped my latest landing pad by very carefully placing cuboid rooms and blocks directly into my mountain highway station.

So to recap:

-Your ship <100 units away from power and teleport cables = bad
-Your cuboid parts literally glitching into your new alloy parts = good

This game, everyone!

I think the ship thing is a bug not a feature since it wasn't working like that 3 patches ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Mailer posted:

Aww they fixed glitching stuff so you can't stack miners anymore? I had a dream of one day increasing efficiency on my nightmare mining setup into a clean glitch-built setup with a single collection point. Would have saved a massive amount of world build limit. :/

You definitely can still, but you might need to change your angle, you have to be above it with enough room to not trigger "too close" error. I think in practice you need to be about a single one of those cuboid foundation blocks above it at the right position to place it directly to get it to go.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought this one went quick and any slowdown was me getting distracted as I do in these games. I wasted a lot of time waiting on buying wiring looms of all things on the first planet when it only sells them in tiny amounts (the wasted time, being waiting for them to show up in the store again). Of course later planets sell way more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Every patch includes some "rare terrain editing bug causing crashes was resolved" so you might have just been on the wrong side of that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I guess pre release they had more realistic distribution but it ended up being really unfun.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Also, you start with a companion in this expedition, and I will admit it took me far too long to realise this

"what a weird dog"

lmao this dude rules.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ssthalar posted:

Man, this game drives me crazy.
Been having some wild, halfsecond stuttering for the past few patches, nothing I can't deal with.
But when i'm flying around in space the flight lines keep flickering in and out and it hurts to look at.
Anyone else have this issue?

I feel like I've seen someone talk about thisi before and it ended up being verifying integrity your install with steam (if you're using steam), and if that doesn't work uninstalling then reinstalling.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Node posted:

I've clocked 300 hours into this game and I just finally found a system discovered by someone else (while playing single player, not multiplayer.) I'm surprised it took so long.

So I've been to 15 systems where I've checked every time for the system's exotic to spawn. 15 times in a row, it has been the sphere ship. If there is a 50/50 chance of a sphere ship or a squid ship as the system's exotic, then that is basically like flipping a coin 15 times and getting heads every single time, which has a 0.003% chance of happening. Unless my logic is broken (please correct me if it is), that either means I'm absurdly unlucky, or that the squid ship is indeed more rare than the sphere ship. I don't really want to use someone else's portal glyph coordinates to find one, but it's getting tempting.

I've played since launch and it's still pretty rare to run into anything or anyone. It happens a little more often if you go to single warp-gate glyph systems (like the address is just one glyph) and then do some quests from there but otherwise things are really spread out, especially since the initial launch system is long wiped (which does lead to some interesting things where it says galaxies that I explored first were explored first by other people that I haven't been to since one of the early wipes. If I go back there it wipes over them and puts my names back).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man it's been less than a year since I last played this and still couldn't remember how to play for 10 minutes after restarting. Maybe I shouldn't have dived into the expedition.

Dareon posted:

Well, I can never allow myself to die now.

That one actually spawns in the second rendezvous system, if you want one yourself. I just flew into the station, saw it sitting on the pad as I landed, and sprinted over to slam-buy it, not caring what it cost and hoping to god the pilot didn't bug out and disappear because multiplayer.

This is cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The problem I'm having with the expedition is I seem to rarely see either the stuff to make warp fuel or actual warp fuel available to buy. It's easy enough to forage of course but I'm used to the convenience of my main save where I have more than I could ever use.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What do you lot do for ships? Is there one that you use all the time? Do you swap between them for specific purposes? What classes do you use for what?

I've been finding it hard to figure out why I'd use anything other than this exotic one I found. I also obtained an S-class tier 3 fighter but the inventory shows as much smaller and the damage potential too (so what's the point of a fighter?).

On my main save, ships are just other storage organizers for the most part; like one is overflow for manufacturing, one is for base building stuff, another is for actually shipping the finished products, etc. It's absolutely not necessary to do it this way and probably isn't even the most efficient way to do it but it works for me.

I mainly travel in the first elite ship I found because it outperforms everything else by a good margin, even if I didn't also love the aesthetics. And I have a living ship because why not but haven't found much use for it.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 31, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Hour #3 of trying to find a downed frig. I would normally just move on and circle back but I really want to put a base near one so I don't have to repeat this again if I die. I guess at least I finished off the nanite and eggs and am nearly done with the units visiting all these crashed ships and abandoned bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

How I did it was just buy a bunch of Distress Signal maps at the space station then just pop one in every system I stopped by on the way to the next anchor point - if the first result wasn't a crashed capital ship I'd just continue warping. If you're already at #5 then yeah it'll probably be a pain, but it's definitely not something worth delaying the rest of the journey for since you're already wasting the time you'd save if you die.

I was only on #2 but I spent so much time looking that I started to finish later stuff just naturally.

Of course when I gave up the next warp after the first had a base titled "crashed freighter here" or whatever so I didn't even need a map.

Well at the very least if I do this again I have plenty of bases to streamline it.