Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Thundarr posted:

The reason to use exocraft is not because they serve some big game purpose, but because they are fun.

Exocraft would be fun if the exocraft control system wasn't designed by someone who's never driven a vehicle in real life or used one in a video game before and would apparently be amazed to learn that vehicles have STEERING CONTROLS that you can use to turn them in a chosen direction. :argh: Hopping into the Nomad for the first time was like unwrapping a radio controlled car for Christmas and then discovering it's one of those lovely cheap ones that has no steering and just turns in one fixed direction while going in reverse. Also, doing that underwater quest line on a planet with hardly any islands and having to putter along in that loving submarine at 13u/s while constantly staring straight ahead for several minutes at a time was agonising.

Inzombiac posted:

I have yet to get a freighter but can you drop stuff in its inventory while you're on a planet?

Is there a teleporter in them as well?

Once you get the Matter Beam upgrade, that gives you access to your freighter's main inventory no matter where it is in the universe, and if it's in the same solar system as you then you can also access all of your storage units that you built aboard the freighter (which are the same as the ten shared storage units you can build in any of your bases) from anywhere. Once you get all the star colour freighter engine upgrades so that your freighter can warp to any type of solar system, you'll never be without access to your entire inventory (and you won't have to build a bunch of storage containers in every base anymore).

Also, note that while your freighter has a limited warp range when you're plotting a warp from the bridge, it can always be summoned to your location via the quick menu no matter how far away it is, as long as it has the engine upgrades which allow it to warp to whatever colour star is in your current solar system. There's no need to worry about buying all the other freighter engine upgrades if you just want to drag the thing around with you, or even about fueling the hyperdrive.

As for teleporting, you can build a teleporter in the freighter so that you can teleport to any of your bases or visited stations from inside, but I don't believe the freighter itself is a teleport destination. If you want quick access to your freighter, though, you can just summon it from your starship at any time, as long as you aren't too close to another obstacle.

One note: Never pulse drive all the way to your freighter; your ship will usually end up clipping through it and getting stuck inside it. Drop out of pulse manually just before you actually reach it, or just summon it to your current location instead. If you forget this and do get stuck, you can escape by opening the galaxy map and warping to another system.

Squibbles posted:

So you can have 6 total upgrades? 3 in tech tab and 3 in general tab?

edit: read up on it and indeed you can. Thanks!

Yep, for any equipment with a separate technology tab, you can have three upgrade mods for the same type of tech in each. Note that this only applies to purchasable upgrade mods; other technology modules that you can obtain blueprints for and build yourself don't count against that three-upgrade-module limit, even if they are also technically "upgrades" for the same system.

Also, note that there is a bonus system based on modules of the same type being adjacent to each other. It's never explained in-game, but it can have quite a significant effect (although it's often hard to check the exact results with many modules because many of the affected raw stats in question are hidden in-game). This article explains it reasonably well, though it's still a rather confusing and poorly documented mechanic. The upshot is that you should cluster your tech modules and upgrades of the same type together, with your strongest ones of each type in the center of the cluster so they're adjacent to as many other strong modules as possible in order to maximise the bonus effects.

Earwicker posted:

its true every kind of weather in the game is some kind of super intense storm. it would be nice if there were planets where its just kind of overcast and theres a nice constant gentle rain all day. a planet like england or oregon

Second solar system I visited in my game has a planet exactly like this. No storms, constant overcast and drizzle, temps always between 10 and 18 C, lots of big trees and green grass, and no Sentinels. It's basically Ireland, so of course that's where I built my main base (even though there's also a storm-and-Sentinel-free paradise planet in the same system...). Oh, and the planet is also full of salvaged scrap, *and* that other paradise planet is full of ancient bones, so that was all my early game money problems sorted right from the beginning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

Add in people confusing freighters and haulers, and you cross the threshold into comedy

It also doesn't help that all freighters are listed as "Capital Ships" in-game, but there is also a separate category of "Capital" freighters (with their own C-S classes) which are distinct from (and much better than) the non-Capital freighters. Woe to the scrubs who didn't play their freighter rescue cards right and ended up with a free non-Capital Capital ship instead of a free Capital Capital ship!

dennyk fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 17, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Black Pants posted:

This was a brand new save I started after this update (since I haven't played in a while) so I guess the bug is still around/back. I started on an ice world with no trees, just sparse little stick plants that give me 160 or so carbon when I mine them. No crazy oxygen from hostile flora though.

That might be within the normal range for resources; the amount isn't relative to the physical size of anything at all. On my home base planet, blow up a towering tree several times your height and you'll get like 40-50 carbon. Tiny mushroom the size of your fist? 80+ carbon!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I need to start messing around with pets. So far I've only adopted an odd yellow blob with like a hundred eyes all over its body because I didn't really read about the update and I was trying to feed it and was like "Wait, what the hell is this other option...?" It's a happy little critter, though, so I think I'll keep it.

Been a bit distracted because I finally started building a thing that isn't a shed or a few glass cubes glued together for the first time after like a hundred and sixty hours of playing the game...:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

blarzgh posted:

An old mansion in a haunted forest, what could go wrong

It's actually a monastery. I did add the obligatory spooky graveyard, though:

Also, the haunted forest isn't nearly as concerning as the fact that it's built on a giant rock that's just floating in the sky for no apparent reason in utter defiance of the laws of physics as we know them:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

Man, I'm so envious. Every time I try putting so many elements together, my PS4 starts coughing and choking. I think the largest hall I ever made is approximately half that size and if I enter, approximately half of it is rendering, with hilarious consequences since the building is on a extreme blizzard planet.

I'm on PC and haven't hit the limit where that starts happening yet, apparently. I fear I might once I try to finish furnishing the place, though.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

coolusername posted:

I had no room in my multitool inventory but I deleted a thing and then had the room to do it, thanks, this solved it. I was trying to make it in my inventory since it just said 'spare slot in inventory' + no room..

Oh god I so desperately need to find a multi-tool with more than six slots.

FYI, when you do join the elite class and have your maxed-out 24-slot S-class multi-tool fully populated and you want to see if a new module is better than your current ones, the easiest bit to break down is your Analysis Visor; it requires one carbon nanotube to construct and gives you one when you dismantle it, so you don't need to worry about fishing any components out of other inventories to reconstruct it after you're done.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Diephoon posted:

Once you can get to The Anomaly, check in with The Nexus until you get a "find fossils" mission. Make a base on that planet (or remember the system's space station name to teleport to later). Fossils are easy money early on (rares can be worth a million+) and you can just buy a huge stockpile of sodium/oxygen and have a ton of money left over.

I had an insanely lucky start on my game; the first system I warped to (following the main quest) had a marsh planet with perfect weather and no storms or Sentinels that was full of salvageable scrap, and a paradise moon with no storms or Sentinels that was full of ancient bones. I built my main base (and now my fancy monastery) on the former planet because it reminds me of home... :v:

Edit: Also, it's a T3 economy system, to boot.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

Every time I see the many adjectives Sentinel-activity can get, I'm wondering about the exact differences in attitude. Visiting a planet with "malicious" Sentinels certainly did feel like the fuckers were malicious, but what is the difference between "malicious" and "zealous"?

Is there a list of all the different attitudes and what they actually mean? Not that I need them, the game is fairly good at signalling Sentinel behavior: It's immediately clear that a planet with "sleepy" Sentinels is safer than a planet with "rambunctious" Sentinels, for example. I'm just curious.

I believe there's actually only three levels; no wandering Sentinels at all (just those around depots and secure factories and shite), high Sentinel activity (they wander around the whole planet, but won't bother you unless they see you mining resources), and aggressive Sentinels (same as High, but the Sentinels will attack you on sight no matter what you're doing). The various adjectives for each level are just for flavour, same as the ones for the other planetary conditions.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Dwesa posted:

What can I spend such amounts of money on? Buying materials to build bases? Upgrading ships? Gifting them in Nexus?

You can't give units directly, but you can give valuable items to other players. Don't go overboard, though; it just ruins the experience for newbies if you just hand 'em like a hundred million units worth of items.

I like to give out drop pod coordinates; sometimes you can buy big bundles of 'em from trade terminals or the occasional tech merchant (the ones in minor settlements or the big archives that sell some random blueprints and components).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I made all of my hard-earned wealth the old-fashioned way: by stealing a bunch of ancient artifacts, bones, and technology of immense cultural and historic value and selling them to the highest bidder until I had enough money to purchase a fleet of frigates, then extracting the surplus value of my unpaid crews' labour and keeping it all for myself.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Kind of sad about the new update; I had a cluster of a few bases on my favourite planet, and now the biggest one, a whole village and castle that I spent ages building in and above this awesome perfectly flat little canyon near the sea, has literally been crushed by an NPC Exchange building that suddenly appeared on top of it after the last patch (which also hosed up the terrain of the whole area so that now the few buildings that survived are dangling in midair...). :(

This is after the patch a couple before this hosed up my awesome monastery by spawning a huge indestructible decorative tree in the middle of the church. :sigh:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
It seems to be a real pain in the arse to raid manufacturing facilities and such now. because there doesn't seem to be a way to escape the Sentinels anymore; enemy fighters can now fly into atmosphere, so if you blast down the door and then jump in your ship to run away from the assholes on the ground, they just immediately send infinite waves of interceptors after you forever.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Aster0ids posted:

I was referring to the multiple posts of uninstall etc... on steam because they are saying they are forced into combat and losing their chill experience, dont even know how much substance there is to all those claims.

Pirate attacks are kind of a huge pain in the arse right now. No matter where I go, I can't walk around a planet for more than a minute or two, or even try to set up a base, before a bunch of pirate ships appear out of nowhere and start making bombing runs on me or some nearby structure I'm checking out, and they don't just go away. Even when they're not attacking you directly, it definitely loses the chill "exploration" vibe because wherever you go, every two minutes there's a bunch of endless alarms and alerts and ships zooming around and poo poo's on fire and exploding everywhere around you.

They also attack your settlements like every few minutes when you're there, and at one point I got stuck in an infinite loop of pirates-Sentinels-pirates-Sentinels-pirates-Sentinels ad infinitum until I finally just gave up and left the planet.

On another note, found a couple rather profitable bugs; after one seemingly quest-related Sentinel attack on my settlement, I ended up with infinitely respawning dead Sentinel canisters falling out of the sky all over the place. Every time I collected a few, three more would appear. I have so much freaky Sentinel glass right now...

Also found my first outlaw system after following that quest line, and the dude selling contraband is selling tons of all of the suspicious packages for the same numerical price as the normal scrap dealer...but in UNITS instead of tainted metal. So like a few hundred units or less per item that's guaranteed to drop something worth many, many times that amount, or a bunch of nanites.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Stare-Out posted:

I mean basically every paradise planet has them. They never fixed it that whatever pleasant world you find it'll have occasional hell storms. 150 hours of this game and I haven't found a nice grassy planet that doesn't turn into an oven every 10 minutes.

The system I've made my home has one paradise moon and one green swampy planet, both of which have no storms and no Sentinels. Of course, since they're in a high-conflict system, that no longer matters because every two minutes a fleet of pirate ships will appear out of nowhere to murder you anytime you're on a planet's surface.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly the real endgame for this game has always been storage.

Maybe turning my freighter into a bank will end up working somewhat but between the drip fed suit/ship upgrades and the amount of stuff you want to stockpile/keep, it’s a real bottleneck.

Even before you get the freighter, you can get blueprints for storage containers from the Anomaly and build those in your bases. They're universally connected, so, e.g., Storage Container 3 will always have the same inventory when you build it in any base, so you can access your entire stash from any base by putting all the storage containers in each one. It's clunky, but it works for storing all that crap that you don't need immediate access to.

Once you have your Freighter with the matter transmitter module, you'll be able to build the storage rooms in it and then you can access all of those ten storage container inventories from literally anywhere in the game as long as you're in the same system as your freighter.

Also, once you get the various Exocraft, they can provide some extra storage in a pinch as well. Ditto for extra starships; anything you put in a starship inventory will stay there forever, and you can have up to nine of 'em now, so that's a fair bit of storage even with a bunch of lovely stock ships, especially with the new compressed cargo storage in each. It's a bit of a pain to access, since you'll have to summon the exocraft or starship and jump into it to switch to it, but it works. Just don't forget to move your stuff somewhere else before melting any of 'em down later.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone done settlements? Are they were doing or should I still just think of setting up a base on a planet I like then explore / do whatever from there?

Settlements and bases are two different things, so you can do both. Settlements are basically "towns" populated with NPCs where you become the "overseer" and can make various decisions from time to time which can improve aspects of the settlement. You can choose to build various buildings in a settlement when those options are presented to you, but the buildings are placed and generated automatically; you don't get to decide anything about them except whether or not to construct 'em in the first place. The settlement also "spawns" in a random spot when you use a map that directs you to one (or respond to a comm signal or something for your first one; don't really remember how that worked); you can't just decide to build one in a particular place. You don't really do much in a settlement except make the aforementioned decisions, collect the goods the settlement produces, and occasionally fight off Sentinels or pirates.

Bases are entirely player-constructed and can be placed anywhere (as long as they don't conflict with a different player's base). You can do many different things with your bases; "farming" minerals and resources, growing various plants, building all sorts of useful equipment, hiring various technicians for different upgrade quest lines, etc. You'll likely have many, many bases during the course of the game, even if most are nothing more than a base computer, teleporter, and one cuboid room for shelter on a planet you want to be able to return to on demand. If you find a nice planet and want to build a base, go nuts.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You could walk around inside your ship (and even outside of your ship in space) in NMS's spiritual predecessor, Noctis IV. Granted, though, there wasn't a whole lot to said ship...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
This game really is a bit speciesist...

Ugly green giant bug critter that will immediately drop whatever it's doing and try to murder you the instant it becomes aware of your existence and won't stop until one of you is dead, despite being surrounded by herds of its ordinary prey: Just a normal predator, circle of life, nothing to see here, folks! :angel:

Ugly green giant bug critter that just chills out underground not bothering anyone and only attacks you when you start stealing its unborn children to grind them up for profit, then fucks off and goes back to chilling underground if you leave them alone for a minute: BIOLOGICAL HORROR MONSTROSITY! :derp:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ZombieCrew posted:

Thats a hell of a way to farm nanites. Sounds fun too! Strafing runs like an A10 on a tank column.

At one point one of my Sentinel settlement things bugged out, but instead of the Sentinels themselves spawning endlessly it was just the canisters they drop when they die. Every time I'd pop a few, a few more cans would appear out of thin air and fall to the ground.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Omnicarus posted:

There was an incredible amount of nerdscold energy put into warning people not to use the nanite or credit glitch because it stole the sense of achievement for grinding out 1,000,000 nanites, and then passive aggressively threatening to report it to Steam and Hello for cheating.

I can understand the sentiment of the first part, at least as a warning for newbies, because it kinda does take away from that early game fun and progression working your way up from being a broke scrub with one sad little junker of a starship to a billionaire intergalactic mining and trading magnate. Getting all high and mighty about people using bugs and exploits and threatening to report people for "cheating" is just dumb, though; NMS is a single-player game with some minor online social bits, so who cares if some players cheat their way to riches, even if you don't want to? It's not like it has any effect on your game whatsoever. Playing the game however you want is what makes it fun.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Squibbles posted:

Fly away little bird. Or hide in a hole

Gotta fly fast, though; the interceptors will start chasing you the moment you jump into your ship, since they can enter the atmosphere now. No more hovering until the drones get bored...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

TracerM17 posted:

... Until the game decides to throw a indestructible terrain feature through the middle of my favorite base during an update.

That happened to one of my bases; a huge church and monastery I built now has an enormous tree right smack in the middle of the crossing.

My favourite village also got completely flattened by one of those giant archive trading posts once, but fortunately it disappeared again in the next update.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Black Griffon posted:

Do you actually lose stuff or do you just need to repair? I've only switched galaxies in expeditions the last few years (and once ages ago).

You just need to repair stuff; you don't lose anything permanently. Honestly by the time you're switching galaxies you'll probably have a freighter chock full of every crafting component you could ever want anyway, so it's really just a matter of whether you want to spend your time swapping out ships and tools beforehand or clicking on more components to fix 'em afterwards (you'll have to repair all your Exosuit general inventory modules regardless). Just make sure you have plenty of Wiring Looms, as that's the one bit you'll need a lot of (usually a few dozen or so) that isn't craftable.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
My first and only settlement is in my "home" system where I've built all my cool bases, so keeping up with it is easy enough. My settlement's citizens just keep bitching about running out of skulls and demanding to go on expeditions for more, though, then die horribly (which I guess does end up providing them with more skulls, I suppose...).

As for ships, my main ship is the first Exotic I found. It was named "The Eagle of Destiny", but clearly the lifeform that owned it wasn't much of an expert on avian taxonomy, so I corrected the name, and now I fly around everywhere in The Canary of Destiny:

It was of course soon joined by The Hummingbird of Destiny:

and the Cockatiel of Destiny:

Also hung onto my first S-class Explorer for sentimental reasons, and because it has an awesome random name; The Mistress of the Ether:

Picked up a new Solar ship already and I'm working on maxing that out, but I haven't really used it much because I love my little Canary of Destiny too much to give it up.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Floppychop posted:

For the frigate expeditions do you get better rewards the more ships you send out, or is it just a set amount if successful and more/better ships increases the success chance?

The rewards are the same randomised ones regardless, but higher fleet ratings (and most importantly, decent ratings in all categories, not only the primary focus of the mission) improve the odds of success. A failed encounter can damage a frigate, and you'll either have to recall it (if you're online at the time it gets damaged) or let it continue, but if that same frigate suffers damage a second time, it'll be destroyed. If you recall it (or if it manages to survive the mission despite the damage), you'll have to go land on it afterwards and run around repairing all the broken poo poo on it to get it back into service.

The primary focus of the mission is they type that most encounters will be, but any mission can experience any type of encounter, so make sure the ships you send are reasonably well-rounded (ideally with each having double-digit values in most or all categories), and send at least a few frigates on every mission (which will also ensure you have redundancy if one does get damaged). These days I make sure all my fleets are 4-5 stars, which usually just involves sending out a few well-rounded ships on each mission once you have a bunch of S-class frigates), and I haven't had a failed encounter in a very long time. Sending more than you need doesn't cost you anything but frigate fuel, which is easy enough to come by (go mine some blue crystals, or buy and process a bunch of jelly for tons of dihydrogen, and shoot some space rocks for a few minutes for tritium).

Also, if you have frigates that aren't S-class yet and still need to level up, just have them tag along with a few of your high-class ships on long missions and they'll hit S class themselves before you know it. Lower-class ships do have a higher chance of taking damage from a failed encounter, but if your fleet is ridiculously OP, you won't have any failed encounters anyway.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yep, NPC pilots sell tritium, and you can sometimes find dihydrogen jelly at trade terminals (and I think NPC pilots as well) and buy a whole shitload of it at once that way.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Fastest way to get ferrite dust by far is to find a planet with tons of small rocks lying around and make some strafing runs in your starship. You'll have more dust than you'll know what to do with before you know it. Same is true for carbon with a planet that has dense flora.

For silicate powder, land on any planet, load up the terrain manipulator, set it to the largest size, and start walking and tunneling at the same time. Change direction a bit each time you hit the max mining range, and stay above the bedrock layer to maximise the yield (since you can't mine the bedrock). And yes, you should use the largest size for this; the smaller sizes do provide more yield from the same area of material mined, but they're also much slower overall, and since silicate is unlimited, it doesn't matter how much rock you have to tunnel through as long as it's faster.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Peachfart posted:

So I'm finally getting into NMS(now that I have a computer capable of properly running it), and I was wondering what is the easiest way to get some ship expansion slots. I have found a few from scrapping ships, but finding those is unreliable at best.
Also is the game supposed to teach you to group technology together for full effectiveness? Because I was 15 hours into the game and only figured it out by accident.
Oh, and I swear that every multi tool is garbage, I can't find anything good.

Early on in a ship's lifetime, buying storage slots for units is usually a reasonable deal. They get more expensive as you add more slots regardless of whether you use units or augmentations, though, so spend units first on the first several slots, then start using augmentations once new slots get to be too expensive for your tastes.

The only quick and reliable way to get augmentations is by scrapping ships. Better ship classes have a higher chance of dropping some augmentations, so stick to A or S class for the best odds. Explorers and Shuttles can be nice for this, as they aren't too expensive. Haulers are extremely overpriced and don't have a better chance of dropping storage augmentations, so avoid those when scrapping. Fighters are so-so, as they're more expensive than either Shuttles or Explorers, but not as absurd as Haulers.

Augmentations can sometimes be found as loot in derelict or crashed freighters, but that's a lot more effort than ship scrapping for worse odds. They are also received as rewards occasionally from frigate expeditions (from Trade or Industrial encounter types), once you have a freighter and frigate fleet, but again, it can be hit or miss; you'd be lucky to average about one a day if you're running all five daily frigate missions every day. They can add up over time that way, but it won't be quick.

For multi-tools, just keep checking for them at the station in every system you visit. You can also find them at various buildings on planets; sometimes at a multi-tool station, sometimes as a reward from an NPC or a monolith, sometimes from crashed ships, and always from Sentinel pillars. I've had Vera so long that I don't remember where she came from, but you'll come across an S-class multi-tool sooner or later.

And no, the whole adjacency bonus is completely undocumented in the game itself, as far as I know. One of those things you'd have to read a wiki or message board to learn about. Because most of the stats are "soft" stats that aren't visible anywhere in-game, I'm not sure anyone actually knows the exact details of how all the bonuses work, but the "make sure your best upgrade modules are each touching as many other modules as possible" rule of thumb usually works well enough.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

That's a bit redundant, if a planet has Basalt on it, it will tell you by listing Basalt from orbit. Why would you look for other unrelated poo poo first?

Volcanic planets should always have it, though.

The orbital scans only show what mineral deposits occur on a planet. Basalt isn't found in deposits, if I recall; it comes from mining various surface minerals, so it won't show up on an orbital scan.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Cleretic posted:

Okay, so I started No Man's Sky and was put on a superheated planet that kept slowly roasting me alive. I got off of there, only to find out that it has two neighbors: one has aggressive sentinels, and the other is as irradiated as the original planet was hot and also has a bunch of sentinels.

This is a bad spawn, right? Or are all spawns this mean?

Is this just in a normal game (and not one of those newfangled Expedition things)? New game spawns are entirely random, so it's a roll of the dice where you'll end up, and it's not uncommon for every planet in a given system to have some kind of harsh environment; while paradise planets aren't as uncommon in Euclid as in some other galaxies, they're still the exception, not the norm. It's not too difficult to get a hyperdrive together, though; just stick to your Sentinel-free hot planet as much as possible (as Sentinel combat will probably get you killed in the early game), collect lots of sodium so you can keep recharging your environmental protection system (you can use your suit's scanner pulse thing to locate sodium-rich plants), and collect what you need to get your ship equipped with a hyperdrive and some fuel, and then you'll be free to explore and find a more hospitable location to settle down in.

If your starting location is truly unplayable (e.g. every planet has aggressive Sentinels or some shite), you can always just start a new game, as well; no shame in rerolling if you ended up with snake eyes.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Pretty sure that's just a speculation tweet. If they did release some underwater shite, though, hopefully they've given us better underwater vehicles, because covering miles of endless ocean in the loving Nautilon at 13u/s during that one underwater exploration questline was the least fun thing I've ever done in this game.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

bgreman posted:

"flagship" for what is currently the "freighter".

They should really do this anyway, since it hardly seems fitting to call your mile-long spaceship a "freighter" when it can only hold like half the volume of shite that you can stuff into your space backpack... :saddumb:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

doctorfrog posted:

My character hasn't had a nap or a bath, eaten or taken a dump, literally ever, and it's fine.

To be fair, there's no telling what your character is getting up to while you're logged out! :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Stare-Out posted:

So I figured I'd check out the soundtrack to the game, even though most of the music is prog-gen stuff there are the few tracks that play every time you start a new game or finish a mission or whatever, and the soundtrack is pretty great as it turns out. I typically check out soundtracks for games I like but for some reason it never occurred to me to do that for this game before. Maybe because the music in the game plays relatively rarely.

65daysofstatic is the band responsible for the music and the album is called, appropriately "Music for an Infinite Universe" and I really dig it. It's synths, guitars, percussion and all kinds of interesting glitchy tunes. It's neat to have a bunch of ambience and discordant sounds and suddenly a recognizable tune from the game happens.

I'm sure most of you recognize this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehJQWR2IIc

Weirdly the trailer music that they've used since the beginning isn't on the album, it's on the band's previous (I think) one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlydRRs1BMQ

I turned off the in-game music ages ago and just queue up some ambient playlists on Spotify when I play. Really suits the chill vibe of the game. This stuff is pretty good, though.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there any way to revisit previously discovered territory?

What I mean, specifically, is when I use those save waypoint mini towers, and they tell me the name of the region, I then have that region listed on my discovery page. However, I can't seem to mark them or whatever to easily return to them. Seems kind of silly that that's not an option. Or is it, and I'm just missing it somehow?

There's no built-in way, unfortunately; planetary maps aren't a thing. If you want to mark a planetary spot for some reason, the easiest way is to drop a save beacon, or, if you've reached the max save beacon limit (5 per planet, I think), you could always just drop a base computer there.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Both trade terminals but also the pilots landing at the station, as well. Pretty much any space station can be a decently reliable "let all the mats come to you" deal if you ping the people coming in.

And yes, jelly cycling is both miserable and still the fastest way to get reliable dihydrogen. Fishing for fuel from anomaly missions is less reliable but at least it breaks up the monotony...?

Am I the only one who doesn't find frigate fuel to be an issue? Whenever I start running low on dihydrogen I just poke a few random NPC pilots until I find one selling jelly, buy their entire stock, spend a minute plopping them into my portable refiner, and voila, I have enough frigate fuel to run my completely unoptimised fleet for a week or two. For trit, just buy from NPCs every now and again or spend a few minutes shooting space rocks and again you'll be set for a good long time. Hell, on the 'annoyance' scale I'd rate it well below having to tunnel for silicate powder for ages to build all my huge stone/concrete bases.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

That said, after a certain amount of time new players would spawn into huge, empty wastelands void of life and not get to murder anyone anymore. So the process would slow down massively over time. :v:

That'd be a long, long time, though. Even jumping around randomly in Euclid, I've almost never stumbled onto a system that's actually been previously discovered.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

dwarf74 posted:

You still want to shrink it from my recent experience. If that is you care to maximize yield.

When mining mineral deposits you want to use the smallest setting, as that increases the total yield you get from each deposit, even if it takes longer to mine said deposit. When mining silica, though, you want to use the largest setting to maximise the overall speed at which you collect it, since silica is effectively unlimited. (Also, with the smallest setting you can't use the faster "tunnel while walking" mining method, as the hole it makes isn't big enough...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Being underwater at all" in this game is miserable for numerous reasons and I usually try to avoid it at all costs. If pressed, the hovercraft can get you to a location above water faster and the minotaur lets you treat being underwater basically like being on land, even if that's at the cost of being in the minotaur.

That one mission string where it gave you a Nautilus and wanted you to pilot it to half a dozen random underwater spots miles apart at 13u/s (without even being able to look around at the scenery, since the exocraft controls are total garbage and you can't drive one direction while looking in another) was the most miserable experience I've had in this game, even when I cheated each time by flying my ship to the nearest sliver of land that I could set down on before jumping into that terrible terrible vehicle for the last agonising crawl.