Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I finished expedition 2 last night, and this game finally clicked with me. My first normal save when I bought the game earlier in the year bugged out for some reason, and trying to redo the whole base building tutorial and everything on a new normal save was frustrating, especially because I was playing with my buddy who’s got a couple hundred hours in on Xbox. The crossplay worked great, but it was discouraging for him to be dropping in with all kinds of badass ships and a straight-up Star Destroyer while I was still scraping together stone huts.

Giving the player a freighter at the start of expedition 2 was a good move. Having essentially a pre-built base to remove some of the inventory pressure makes things so much better. It’s a pity that I guess you can’t upgrade the class of your freighter, only ships? I really like the one I got, but I guess it could be better in storage and general stats.

Did anybody ever put together a central goon base or teleporter network of any kind? Once this save converts to a regular one, I’d be happy to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I was wondering what they would do for the next patch. This is quite a pleasant surprise.

Are the dragon-wing jetpack cosmetics in the trailer new as well? Looks like one of the people streaming on YouTube right now also has a different set of wing cosmetics on their back too, I haven't seen any of that before.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Yeah, all pirate bounties are pretty much the same. I have fun with them, but they’re not terribly challenging. Maybe the higher difficulty ones could eventually incorporate a pirate frigate you have to take down?

I agree that the freighter/frigate aspects of the game could use an extensive upgrade like this. The rerun of the Normandy expedition giving a free freighter was a big part of what made the game finally stick for me. I know the difference is only marginal, but I would like to be able to upgrade my freighter from C all the way to S-class anyway, even if it were a proportionally bigger grind. It would be seriously cool to dock with my frigates and join them on a mission, rather than getting a dry if sometimes humorous list of mission results the next time I play. And directly commanding your freighter and frigates in combat would be the ultimate, although I believe it’s still only one player freighter per system?

It feels like they’ve got the framework in place to keep improving this game for a long time. I hope the sales and attention bumps from these periodic updates are enough to keep it going.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I think I visited around 50 different systems before my exotic randomly turned up. But I didn’t prioritize visiting high-economy systems either.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

This is weird. I'm playing with controller on PC, and I finally started the new expedition today. Clicking the right stick usually changes view from first-person/cockpit to third-person, but after the patch it's bound to zoom in instead. Resetting it to default gives me "discoveries/options" which opens the menu for the expedition discoveries, etc. I don't see an option to reset it to change view instead.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I kinda want to make this my main save file instead of starting fresh on a non-expedition one.

That’s what I did after completing the Normandy expedition during its rerun last December. I already had a regular save going from when I tried to crossplay with my buddy on Xbox, but the expedition save left me with so much more that I had no reason not to keep going with it. I’ve also gifted the game to a couple friends and suggested they start from the expedition instead, although neither one of them has jumped in yet.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Dumb question: does the new update make your freighter class upgradeable? I absolutely love my black/red star destroyer freighter that I carried over from the Normandy expedition, but I was always a bit miffed that it was permanently stuck at C-class, even if it doesn’t make much gameplay difference.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm not seeing any expedition option on the Switch. Is this live yet?

Servers may be down. I was able to start a new expedition save on my Mac last night, but my gamepad didn't play nice with my fancy Apple adapter -- so I tried to start it on my PC tonight, found that the expedition option was unavailable there, and also found a whole Steam thread of people having the same problem:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3817410454879328176/

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Just finally started a new expedition save on PC, so it looks like the servers are back up. Had some odd lag spawning in, which may be related to the huge hovering base somebody built next to the starting point.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I had a hell of a time getting the Mac port to work through Steam with a controller - both my 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ and an old Logitech F310 I've had around forever didn't want to work. Steam indicated it was loading a configuration labeled in Chinese, and then nothing worked. My Switch pro controller works just fine, though. I have no idea what the difference is, maybe Apple included Nintendo controller drivers in the OS? I also didn't try disabling Steam controller support and letting the OS take over.

I'm definitely noticing some frame drops when transitioning between space and surface, and the upscaling algorithm also seems to output some funny ghosting/shimmering during jump-drive. Not sure if that's because I was playing unplugged. The bottom of my MacBook Air noticeably heats up too. But it's plenty playable on a base-model M1, and it was a free update to the game I already owned. Not yet sure I can recommend it if you're starting off with a low-end Mac, I'll have to put in some more playtime and play around with the MetalFX settings.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

This is the first expedition I've finished since the one with the Normandy from Mass Effect. I've dabbled in two or three of the other expeditions since then, but never stuck it out. Being able to bring over my ship and some materials from my old save was a fantastic shot in the arm, and really what the game needed. Being able to skip a lot of the low-level grind of getting a basic base going and a decent ship that can jump to any star opens the game up a lot.

In fact, I think I'm going to abandon my old save for this one going forward. I did the cheap trick of save-scumming a freighter encounter until I had an S-class Venator of similar appearance to my old one (which was only ever a C-class), but then the first pirate dreadnought encounter after that turned out to immediately be an S-class, so I really feel well set-up at this point. The only caveat is that I had to use the goatfungus save editor to hack the Normandy frigate back in, as it appears that the ability to claim the device that summons it from the quicksilver vendor on the anomaly is either bugged out or has quietly been removed.

I'm also transitioning all my games to Linux, and NMS has run great with Proton for the 10-15 hours I've taken to complete the expedition, barring one late-night lag spike that I blame on my ISP. And it also runs decently well on my absolute base-model M1 MacBook Air with dozens of browser tabs constantly open in the background. I think if they include co-op base building in Light No Fire from the get-go, it's gonna be a long-term game for a lot of people. Other survival games like Valheim and Ark have come and gone in my friend groups, but NMS with better construction co-op probably would've kept most of them coming back. I can only hope that Hello Games keeps a trickle of development for NMS going alongside Light No Fire too.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Hmm, there's a couple threads on the Steam forum loudly complaining that ending the expedition at the Anomaly terminal forces you back onto your main save immediately. I suppose that's the expected behavior, but since I'm in the minority that actually wouldn't mind if my expedition save permanently overwrote my old save, I guess I will ride out the time limit on the expedition without officially ending it and report back here as to what happens.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Reporting back, I logged into my main-save-turned-expedition-save the other night after the expedition ended, and I was still technically on the expedition, with the prompt to return to the Nexus and go back to the terminal to send stuff back to my main save. So it looks like I can just keep going with this one if I really want to, albeit with a semi-permanent nag prompt to close things out. No idea what would happen if I hadn't finished all expedition objectives.

The main reason I want to stick with it is because I substantially upgraded my exotic that I carried over from the main save during the expedition. Not sure if those upgrades carry back to the main save... and I guess I can only send one ship back, which precludes keeping my A-class sentinel fighter from the expedition quest line. I also have a totally sweet S-class pirate freighter that's a big upgrade over my C-class freighter in the main save, but I guess grinding pirate freighter encounters out again wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. This was a nice option, but I think in the future, I will stick with doing separate expedition saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

can I do a skinny x-wing fighter chassis with big ol' hauler orbs