Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say the Guardians "fight to protect the status quo" when all three conflicts they've been involved in had the alternative to the status quo be "the entire universe is devastated beyond belief." Like Britain and America weren't defending the status quo when they kicked Hitler out of France.

How the gently caress do you manage to equate the plots of lovely action comedies with real conflicts where countless people died in the battle against fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How the gently caress do you manage to equate the plots of lovely action comedies with real conflicts where countless people died in the battle against fascism.

have you ever watched a movie

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

have you ever watched a movie

No.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say the Guardians "fight to protect the status quo" when all three conflicts they've been involved in had the alternative to the status quo be "the entire universe is devastated beyond belief." Like Britain and America weren't defending the status quo when they kicked Hitler out of France.

the "guardians" aren't loving real. the fact that the creators of the movie set up the conflict to be status quo or abject annihilation says everything about the creators

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elfgames posted:

the "guardians" aren't loving real. the fact that the creators of the movie set up the conflict to be status quo or abject annihilation says everything about the creators

tbh i think both you and chitoryu are actually touching on a really good point that extends way past just the guardians movies

WWII, as an event, imprinted really loving hard on our collective psyche. these "status quo or total annihilation" plots, which you frankly see pretty often in the action genre, are essentially echoes of the American narrative of WWII, even if they're much lighter in subject matter and importance, because at some point someone realized that poo poo just hits people right in the lizard brain.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's clarify. Jokes made before he worked for Disney which Disney was aware of at the time of his hiring. Jokes that he had apologized for and deleted years ago, which Cernovich had to actually put effort into re-revealing that he said it once.

It's not like this stuff was a surprise that suddenly came out. Disney was fully aware of the jokes' existence and gave him his second chance. Cernovich just found a way to throw up a renewed stink about it and Disney made a panicky knee-jerk move that is now backfiring badly.

Imagine that Disney wasn't a galaxy spanning conciousness that was all knowing and all seeing, and was a group of at least, I don't know, two people. One of those people reviewed Gunn before hiring him and said "hah hah, this guy thinks that kids being raped is funny too, we should hire him". Later on the other guy at Disney sees the tweets and he's like "Oh no, I hate kids being raped, I want to fire this guy". That would make all of this a lot easier to explain, but as we all know Disney is actually a collective conciousness so this is some really confounding poo poo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbh i think both you and chitoryu are actually touching on a really good point that extends way past just the guardians movies

WWII, as an event, imprinted really loving hard on our collective psyche. these "status quo or total annihilation" plots, which you frankly see pretty often in the action genre, are essentially echoes of the American narrative of WWII, even if they're much lighter in subject matter and importance, because at some point someone realized that poo poo just hits people right in the lizard brain.

I would argue that GOTG is a pretty light romp until Ronan gets to Xandar with the stone. The threat is way more vague until the narrative suddenly decides to turn into planet-specific mass genocide.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They establish the threat by having a slave be brutally killed while trying to free herself. The lesson the heroes take away is that the macguffin is bad, and don't even notice slavery.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Okay nerd bird, play it out. I'm not disagreeing with you but explain your thoughts.

okay, you edited for clarification.

you dildo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, that's a weird example to pick, since they were. They both expected to retain all their colonial holdings when the war was over. They were genuinely surprised that they didn't get to. It doesn't make the Nazis and Imperial Japanese less awful, but Britain expected to keep owning India and France spent a decade enforcing its ownership of Algeria

The point is, though, that there are now two movies about against the grain outcasts who's big blow is to return things to how they are at the beginning of the movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1049731469466308609

Good job Disney. It was all worth it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That should make for an improvement over the first.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe if he also does a total recasting and, re-everything-ing.

e: If it's just a screenplay then... bleh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe if he also does a total recasting and, re-everything-ing.

e: If it's just a screenplay then... bleh.

He’s looking to direct, and is doing basically this.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wendell posted:

That should make for an improvement over the first.

Not really.

I mean, remember how Gunn's fans in this thread failed to say anything about what he brought to the table as a director?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't remember anything except the constant drone of you grinding your axe for at least 80 posts in this thread

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

davidspackage posted:

I don't remember anything except the constant drone of you grinding your axe for at least 80 posts in this thread

Grinding an axe doesn't make a droning sound.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grinding an axe doesn't make a droning sound.

You'll argue about pretty much anything, huh?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm starting to think that BravestofTheLamps is literally Mike Cernovich. He's a huge brick wall that argues in bad faith, makes total nonpoints then follows them up with deflection and misdirection, and has a huge hate-on for James Gunn for no reason. And he'll literally respond to anything anybody posts about him.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Considering recent world events, I wonder if this is ever gonna bite Dwayne in the rear end

https://twitter.com/TamerELG/status/983560194826350592?s=20

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Considering recent world events, I wonder if this is ever gonna bite Dwayne in the rear end

https://twitter.com/TamerELG/status/983560194826350592?s=20

Considering the US has historically kissed Saudi rear end no matter who's in charge, I don't think it ever will :shrug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whoa...you mean to tell me a billionaire emirati drinks liquor!?!? But he's not supposed to!

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe Dwayne Johnson can elaborate for us the "modern view" of Saudi sexual slavery, and just... slavery in that country altogether.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

has a huge hate-on for James Gunn for no reason.

It's because he makes bad movies and people are strangely evangelical about them.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The phrase "my friend Rupert Murdoch" has utterly destroyed my old view of the Rock. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

It's because he makes bad movies and people are strangely evangelical about them.

Are they though? That argument makes sense for MCU movies in general, but your statement just seems specifically targeted at CP.

I may be missing a chunk of people obsessively singing the praises of Super, I guess.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mameluke posted:

The phrase "my friend Rupert Murdoch" has utterly destroyed my old view of the Rock. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

The best thing the Rock ever did was let CM Punk clown on him and make so utterly transparent the contempt Vince McMahon had for his fanbase. At least until Punk went to the UFC and ate poo poo not once but twice in a row...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Holy loving poo poo, I was so taken aback by The Rock thanking the Saudis and talking about a religious leader drinking The Forbidden Liquor that I didn't even notice that.

Like I knew The Rock was a conservative but goddamn.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe this rich person is friends with another rich person!

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mameluke posted:

According to wikipedia, Rupert Murdoch severed all ties with his third wife Wendi Deng after he discovered she was loving Tony Blair. :laffo:

At least that is some schadenfreude for you.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The Rock seems like one of those dudes who considers just about everyone he meets a friend.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's a Republican and has never been shy about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Basically it's safe to assume that every rich celebrity who lives in Florida is a Republican.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The corporate champ

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This doesn't relate to Hollywood, but it relates to Marvel. They fired one of their Star Wars (comics) writers for calling shitheads such as convicted felon Dinesh D'souza and Ben Shapiro shitheads.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/sta...r%3D124%23pti21

More info here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fires-star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-1151966

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Facebook also delisted a bunch of "keep tabs on the cops" and other independent media outlets.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm sure all of those were really immoral, the state and the Conservatives really have our best interests at heart including protecting us from immoral fiction.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

This doesn't relate to Hollywood, but it relates to Marvel. They fired one of their Star Wars (comics) writers for calling shitheads such as convicted felon Dinesh D'souza and Ben Shapiro shitheads.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/sta...r%3D124%23pti21

More info here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fires-star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-1151966

Not the least bit surpising. Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter is a massive Trump supporter and IIRC is even part of his administration in some capacity.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Facebook also delisted a bunch of "keep tabs on the cops" and other independent media outlets.

The best is how the notice canning them told they weren't being "authentic" which is some real bizarre verbiage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AceOfFlames posted:

Not the least bit surpising. Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter is a massive Trump supporter and IIRC is even part of his administration in some capacity.

Old, powerful, rich white guy. Checks out.
loving sucks that he (and others) are firing talented, popular people who make them money just because of their politics. Here's me, arguing in favor of capitalism. Never thought I'd see the day.

• Locked thread