Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mob justice was bad when liberals got mass offended online to get people fired, and its bad when conservatives do it.

Disney really had no choice with James Gunn since he made jokes about loving children and they are known for making children's entertainment. It's just a no win situation for them, and unlike starbucks I doubt they would get away with holding nationwide seminars about sensible tweeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvrA0ydf8y8

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Pycckuu posted:

Mob justice was bad when liberals got mass offended online to get people fired, and its bad when conservatives do it.

Disney really had no choice with James Gunn since he made jokes about loving children and they are known for making children's entertainment. It's just a no win situation for them, and unlike starbucks I doubt they would get away with holding nationwide seminars about sensible tweeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvrA0ydf8y8

:synpa:

Mike Cernovich is an actual for real rapist and lol if you side with Disney getting duped by these scumbags

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Disney isn’t getting duped, he’s completely correct.

If Gunn has made jokes about women, or racist comments, he’d still have his job, but he’s making jokes about little kids while working for the biggest toy company in the world. This is a no brainer for Disney, I just also think it should end with someone throwing a flaming bag of dogshit at Mike and also with Gunn getting another job soon somewhere else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Disney isn’t getting duped, he’s completely correct.

If Gunn has made jokes about women, or racist comments, he’d still have his job, but he’s making jokes about little kids while working for the biggest toy company in the world. This is a no brainer for Disney, I just also think it should end with someone throwing a flaming bag of dogshit at Mike and also with Gunn getting another job soon somewhere else.

You say "making" like he's still doing it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We need some laughs up in here

https://deadline.com/2018/07/roseanne-barr-james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-abc-disney-fired-1202432755/

quote:

“I’m disgusted to read all of the support for James Gunn’s pedophile jokes – as the same people supported blacklisting me for a joke they didn’t even understand,”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNrteSAu5ys&t=41s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And Rian Johnson deleted a lot of tweets too. Which is pretty smart. The site is wondering why someone would do that, despite Johnson not being much of a edgy guy.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-director-rian-johnson-delete-20-thousand-tweets/

The answer is, who cares. Kill all that poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fuckin lol

I hate to see what Roseanne's become, I used to love her so goddamn much but goddamn that woman's brain just done broke or something. drat shame too.

but just fuckin lol 'joke they didn't understand'

bitch we understood and it was disgusting

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
"it was about iran"

"i thought the bitch was white"

uh yeah that doesnt explain it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Roseanne has always been a joke I don’t understand

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To contrast with some good news for a second, the Georgia state rep screaming the N-word and shoving his bare rear end to turn ISIS gay finally resigned.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it should be the other way. That’s the difference for me, Roseanne attacked a real person, but who got victimized by Gunn’s lovely tweets? They were offensive to noone in particular.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

And Rian Johnson deleted a lot of tweets too. Which is pretty smart. The site is wondering why someone would do that, despite Johnson not being much of a edgy guy.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-director-rian-johnson-delete-20-thousand-tweets/

The answer is, who cares. Kill all that poo poo.

The answer is because people can cherry pick from any arbitrarily large and diverse creative output to build a narrative of their choosing, and if they pick the right one there's apparently a chance Disney will fire somebody for it. The solution is to delete any large cache of output, like all your social media posts.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

The answer is because people can cherry pick from any arbitrarily large and diverse creative output to build a narrative of their choosing, and if they pick the right one there's apparently a chance Disney will fire somebody for it. The solution is to delete any large cache of output, like all your social media posts.

what "narrative" do you think is being created w/ gunn?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

what "narrative" do you think is being created w/ gunn?

Anything beyond "he told edgelord jokes when he worked for an edgelord company during a time when that was acceptable on the internet". Literally anything outside of that exact narrative is 100% a construct.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

Anything beyond "he told edgelord jokes when he worked for an edgelord company during a time when that was acceptable on the internet". Literally anything outside of that exact narrative is 100% a construct.

& what narrative did disney fire him for?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

& what narrative did disney fire him for?

That it was bad PR. What is your goal here?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

That it was bad PR. What is your goal here?

& you're saying it wasn't bad PR?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don't rly have a "goal" i'm just trying 2 understand your claim.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It was bad PR because of the implications intended in the original dump. I can't imagine anyone, Disney employee or not, saying "Welp he made some lovely jokes ten years ago, gotta fire him". They fired him because there's now a document that exists that supports (in an alarmingly specious way) the notion that he's a pedophile, the American Nazis' black mark of choice for the moment, and Disney wanted to get out ahead of this idea.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Plastik posted:

It was bad PR because of the implications intended in the original dump. I can't imagine anyone, Disney employee or not, saying "Welp he made some lovely jokes ten years ago, gotta fire him". They fired him because there's now a document that exists that supports (in an alarmingly specious way) the notion that he's a pedophile, the American Nazis' black mark of choice for the moment, and Disney wanted to get out ahead of this idea.

Okay so the "narrative" that Disney fired him for isn't bad pr but the implication that he's a pedophile - because that's bad pr?

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 25, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
okay so think i got it - it isn't that he made "lovely jokes" it's that those jokes imply that he's a pedophile - and by spending enough time on anyone's dedicated social media platform everyone has made similar jokes/posts that could be compiled to imply they're a pedophile (or some similarly abhorrent thing) & if u work for Disney they will fire you for this. Therefore "the solution is to delete any large cache of output, like all your social media posts.". That right?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Plastik posted:

The he is a pedophile for making edgy jokes and anyone who supports him is a pedophile is a narrative the pro-trump squad of people, conservative "moms" and bots are using. If you buy that, then congrats you are hella gullible and the type of person they would love to have around.

And if that would be the case I'm a baby killer and a cancerous cell in someone's colon because of some edgy jokes I made a fuckton of years ago.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Desperado Bones posted:

The he is a pedophile for making edgy jokes and anyone who supports him is a pedophile is a narrative the pro-trump squad of people, conservative "moms" and bots are using. If you buy that, then congrats you are hella gullible and the type of person they would love to have around.

And if that would be the case I'm a baby killer and a cancerous cell in someone's colon because of some edgy jokes I made a fuckton of years ago.

Are you implying that I think he's a pedophile? Because I don't. Specious means wrong.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Plastik posted:

Are you implying that I think he's a pedophile? Because I don't. Specious means wrong.

I wasn't meaning you, like you. But anyone out there who is actually buying it. (English not my mother language and it's *squints* 7:00 am now so I'm like still in sleepy land :p)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You can own up to that stuff (you know, that you posted as a grown man to provoke people) while also defending yourself against a smear.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Plastik posted:

I can't imagine anyone, Disney employee or not, saying "Welp he made some lovely jokes ten years ago, gotta fire him".

This is pretty much exactly what happened.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You can own up to that stuff (you know, that you posted as a grown man to provoke people) while also defending yourself against a smear.

He was fired almost instantly, defending himself (especially against the effectively infinite mob of Alt-Right Twitter) wouldn't have done a single drat thing.

Also, he already owned up to that stuff years ago. How often, exactly, is one meant to re-up their ownership of jokes made in bad taste?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ricdesi posted:

How often, exactly, is one meant to re-up their ownership of jokes made in bad taste?

Every time it gets brought up, obviously. Are you new to SJW mob justice or do you not see that this is just a mirror image of it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ricdesi posted:

He was fired almost instantly, defending himself (especially against the effectively infinite mob of Alt-Right Twitter) wouldn't have done a single drat thing.

I guess the assumption here is that I am talking about him saving his job.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Maybe directors shouldn't be working for an amoral behemoth in the first place if they don't want to be victims of amoral decision-making.

You can't suckle at Satan's teat and then complain that the milk is curdled.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ricdesi posted:

Also, he already owned up to that stuff years ago. How often, exactly, is one meant to re-up their ownership of jokes made in bad taste?

Apologies need to be renewed every 10 years, like a driver's license. Duh.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Maybe directors shouldn't be working for an amoral behemoth in the first place if they don't want to be victims of amoral decision-making.

You can't suckle at Satan's teat and then complain that the milk is curdled.

There's no such thing as ethical consumption or employment under capitalism.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still can't believe Disney caved to a twitter troll known for coining the term ~*GORILLA MINDSET*~ seriously, wtf?

Jimbot posted:

I think directors of these Marvel films should take a look at this situation and realize how disposable they are as artists and maybe not renew their contracts when they're up.

I think they instinctively know this already, but the juicy paychecks they receive from Disney are just too good to pass up.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is pretty much exactly what happened.

No it's not, Disney knew about the tweets. Disney pays people to track what their park employees are saying on social media, do you really think they didn't know he posted those tweets?

They fired him because someone made a hitpiece.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

There's no such thing as ethical consumption or employment under capitalism.

Why does every SA discussion have to boil down to this? Yeah, yeah, we know, nothing good can ever truly happen on this imperfect earth. Anyway, back to discussion, a Washington Post columnist suggests there ought to be some sort of "statute of limitations" on old bad social media postings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.eefee3ed7fcb

Of course that's not gonna happen, but she's right about "everything you've ever said can and will be used against you" creates an atmosphere where anyone working in the public eye is gonna have to constantly keep on eye over their shoulder to make sure that something they said at some point in the past isn't gonna come back and bite them when some ideological enemy comes across it and decided to use it as a weapon.

IMO, it's good that Cernovich hasn't been able to claim any more scalps so far, but I think the real bad thing about this firing is that it's absolutely going to create a chilling effect among anyone who works in the media (and beyond). There's probably a ton of people out there right as we speak going through their old social media postings and purging anything remotely controversial, and are going to make drat sure not to say anything too controversial in the future. I mean, very few people have probably posted as bad of jokes as Gunn did, but a ton of people in the public eye are probably not going to want to take any chances, lest alt-right whackjobs target them next.

And IMO that's the really lovely thing about this whole situation, not just "James Gunn is temporarily unemployed."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
ya definitely very worrying that celebs may have to continue to do rudimentary public relations work...maybe trevor noah will have to make this tweet a second time
https://twitter.com/Trevornoah/status/583019964556152832
lotta frightening potential consequences

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sucrose posted:

Why does every SA discussion have to boil down to this? Yeah, yeah, we know, nothing good can ever truly happen on this imperfect earth.

Because it's really dumb to say "Why didn't Gunn just not work for Disney if he didn't want to have his life hosed up???" as if they're not one of the best options for prominent work if you're a director.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Plastik posted:

No it's not, Disney knew about the tweets. Disney pays people to track what their park employees are saying on social media, do you really think they didn't know he posted those tweets?

They fired him because someone made a hitpiece.

Someone somewhere at Disney knew about the tweets, Im sure, but the question isn’t whether anyone at Disney was personally offended, it’s whether anyone at Disney thinks their audience would be offended. The firing isn’t evidence that the higher ups at Disney think James Gunn is a pedophile, the evidence is that they don’t want to employ a dude who wrote a bunch of ironic pedophile tweets that a lot of people are just now seeing for the first time.

Nobody outside of Weird Mike’s most unbalanced followers actually believes Gunn is a pedophile.

chitoryu12 posted:

Because it's really dumb to say "Why didn't Gunn just not work for Disney if he didn't want to have his life hosed up???" as if they're not one of the best options for prominent work if you're a director.

He got paid millions of dollars to make two highly popular movies, I’m not sold on his like being hosed up until there’s some consequences for him beyond not getting paid more money by the same company to make another.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Someone somewhere at Disney knew about the tweets, Im sure, but the question isn’t whether anyone at Disney was personally offended, it’s whether anyone at Disney thinks their audience would be offended. The firing isn’t evidence that the higher ups at Disney think James Gunn is a pedophile, the evidence is that they don’t want to employ a dude who wrote a bunch of ironic pedophile tweets that a lot of people are just now seeing for the first time.

And yet Johnny Depp, John Lassiter, etc.

Keep in mind, these men actually did bad actions, not just wrote down bad words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That only matters to a company when it matters. Bill Cosby being a rapist wasn't unknown prior to the Hannibal Burress set, but NBC was still planning a Cosby Show revival and he had a Netflix special lined up until it became beneficial to those companies to drop them.

• Locked thread