Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Aflac thing was genuinely funny, I gotta say. It would be like if Neil Hamburger ended up as Col. Sanders or something and he got in trouble for making jokes about how Crosby, Stills and Nash broke up over having killed a stripper.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

This isn't Hollywood, but I can't help but feel that the idea started with Arenanet firing two devs (Summary here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-06-arenanet-fires-two-guild-wars-2-writers-over-twitter-exchange-with-youtuber). While I don't think anyone had the intent to get these two devs fired, it did show how conservative companies were to preserve the fragile feelings of their (mostly male) fanbase, even when those devs weren't necessarily acting as representatives of Arenanet, to the extent that talking poo poo back to someone being a dick is grounds for termination?

I guess the root question I have is why the gently caress does anyone use Twitter, especially when it expressly offers preferential service and protections to Nazis?

I would say this particular phenomenon started a bit sooner.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

Remember 10 years ago when we didn't live in a country where Nazis were rising in power? Man, good times.

I don't remember that, as the Patriot Act was signed into law in 2001.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Also 90s right wing militias. Theres a reason right wing groups were at the top of FBI watchlists for several decades.

In fact the obsession with the Clintons began with the far right militias they made a project out of in the early to mid 90s.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

I'm glad you lived 10 years ahead of 10 years ago, but most people didn't.

I dunno, I feel like this conversation is getting more and more abstract. What's the point of posting stuff like that as a public figure in the first place? Obviously provocation, and if you can provoke people about child molestation, surely you can defend yourself against Mike Cernovich.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

I'm sure he could defend himself against Mike, but uh, he didn't really have a chance too?

In what way is he restricted from defending himself?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Disney fired him. That ends it there. It's like defending yourself after someone shoots you in the face. You're already dead. Although, I don't know what kind of defense you mean. Like defending the jokes? I don't think James is that evil to do that.

https://twitter.com/michaelianblack/status/1020652725158260737

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Trembling in fear of Mike Cernovich is something people seem oddly eager to do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who told Disney to listen to the rapist?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Disney certainly shares some culpability in a terrible precedent being set.

It was completely unilateral! That's the whole point, it's not about accountability, it's about power and who wields it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ricdesi posted:

That's why it's effective. You don't see it as a problem, so the next big firing is only a small step past that, and the next is only a small step past that. So long as people are willing to go "oh who cares, he'll be fine" without being incensed by how this all went down, it's going to continue and worsen.

What is there to say about this other than "people in the media love making everything about themselves". If you're looking for that moment, it's been with us for years and years now, the only thing particularly alarming about this case is that it happened to someone well off, because we're totally conditioned to famous rich people doing and saying whatever the hell they feel like.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Would you say it's a little bit reassuring that Mike has already gone off on several other celebrities with nothing much happening on the scale of Disney firing Gunn.

No, because you'd have to admit then that Disney is the problem.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ricdesi posted:

Disney is the problem. Mike Cernovich is a different problem. The volatility of the court of public opinion is the issue that links them.

Not really, as you and others have noted that Disney acts independently of the 'court of public opinion'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ricdesi posted:

Your reading comprehension skills have seriously degraded if that's what you took away from this.

Simply put, I don't buy that Cernovich is influential in the slightest outside of media giddily reporting on his every slightest movement. He craves power and legitimacy and is starved out easily. He's useful insofar as you're meant to waste brain cells trembling in fear of the outsized influence he holds, same with any of these other irrelevant charlatans.

There is no "both sides" to this, there is one side, and it's Disney's role as being the keeper of the commons. To even be discussing this like it's some formal, transparent process is absurd, look back a couple of months to the Facebook hearings and Zuckerberg's testimony for a prime example of why discussions of stuff like "protected speech" or whatever should not and cannot be abdicated to corporations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You can own up to that stuff (you know, that you posted as a grown man to provoke people) while also defending yourself against a smear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ricdesi posted:

He was fired almost instantly, defending himself (especially against the effectively infinite mob of Alt-Right Twitter) wouldn't have done a single drat thing.

I guess the assumption here is that I am talking about him saving his job.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

its so weird 2 me seeing ppl expecting Disney to be some sort of moral arbiter.

I'll go further and say it's demented.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe it's the far left who are truly Nazis, and Disney owning everything is the most mature way to go about things.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's really funny to bring that up on the same day they just quietly brought back Chris Hardwick like nothing happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Plastik posted:

If you seriously think that Obama-era Republicans or even the Tea Party were anything close to Real, Actual Nazis then you're probably too far up your own rear end to be helped.

Uh...do you think these are different people or something?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Plastik posted:

Should i repeat myself? There are several common key players and a lot of people have revealed themselves to be worse than we ever imagined, but no, Obama-era Republicans were unseated by Tea Partiers, who were a group mostly comprised of middle-age or older conservatives who had never really understood politics. The Alt-Reich is mostly driven by people in the 18-35 bracket who grew up with the Internet and were mostly turned on to politics and white supremacy on the darker side of it.

We traded Captain Planet villains and Anarcho-survivalists for Real, Actual Nazis and you're saying you can't tell the difference?

I'd love to know what the appreciable difference is between the two, to be perfectly honest with you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Plastik posted:

These are three distinct groups and lumping them into one or pretending they're actually the same makes the problem substantially harder to understand and deal with.

These taxonomic pseudodistinctions are interesting to muse about, but ultimately, it's too flattering. These are all slight variations on a type, the affluent "middle class" reactionary. People who live paycheck to paycheck think they are middle class, anyone who owns a home thinks they are middle class, and also, literal millionaires think they're middle class.

What unites them is a common politic, therefore there is no appreciable difference between the Blue Lives Matter shithead, the small business tyrant who thinks its their god given right to make people work for free, a neonazi, a Fox News boomer, amoral finance guy. Collectively, they're all worthless for the exact same reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Concentration of power in whatever self-justifying heirarchy they are merely coincidentally at the top of and totally invested in. They will latch onto whatever is convenient to maintain even the perception of this power, which includes gratuitously punishing "lessers" when they are anxious about losing their position in this heirarchy and when they're feeling comfortable, inventing philosophies that suggest that the status quo is the natural order.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Plastik posted:

If you pause and put yourself on the other side of this sort of Neopolitik categorical rejection for a minute you might come close to understanding how exactly this attitude has allowed all of those groups to start sliding toward Nazi radicalization. At some point we have to address that, the fact that people on both sides like to throw around a lot of blanket damnations but offer no solutions (because pointing out that you're Definitely Not The Problem feels good but making any attempt to fix it Is Hard) or we're going to end up knee-deep in extreme radicals on both sides of the aisle that don't give two shits about reality.

Oh wait.

These people can't be "fixed" and compromise with their values led to Bill Clinton. At a moment in time in history where it's rarely been more clear that liberalism does nothing but capitulate to "Nazi radicalization" (see: actually existing fascistic beliefs practices like leading the world in juvenile and women prisoners, unwavering worship of imperial foreign policy and military adventurism, obsession with micromanaging the personal habits of people who rely on public aid, the constant terror of "mob justice" wielded against powerful people, etc.), it's natural to reach for Deteriorating Discourse on Both Sides.

There's three solutions in contention, the death cult of the American Dream, its boring close relation Managerial Technocracy and Full Communism.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Plastik posted:

If you really think that More Bill Clinton is a fate similar in any way to Nazis then you really, really don't understand Nazis.

Aight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bill Clinton realized Reagan's dream of totally destroying print journalism by allowing corporations to totally gut the profession and singlehandedly mainstreamed the far right by handing sane "pro-business" Republicans like Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch defacto control of the media through the Telecommunications Act.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

There's a really cool book called The Reactionary Mind that will help you work through all these incomplete thoughts. For example, invoking the concept of "workable solutions" without filling it with any content. Or, pointing to the idea of breeding fascists through using the wrong political discourse, without explaining the mechanisms of fascist breeding, or what is ""wrong"" with the discourse in a substantive way.

Pretty much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The lengths people go to avoid the truth that Nazi Germany was defeated by the Red Army is absurd.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah even as a proponent of free speech mega bigly, I understand not everyone uses humor to overcome issues.

What does free speech even mean in this circumstance?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

chitoryu12 posted:

Disney impulsively fires every good Marvel director and finds themselves left with Zack Snyder and Ben Affleck to make the next part of the MCU.

Fortuitous but ultimately a waste of time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The focus as usual is on the wrong issue: HUAC were (was?) congressional hearings and therefore in theory subject to public record and accountability. This is an illustration of the total abdication of political power to corporations, who are beholden to no one. You'll never hear anything approaching a reason why they fired Gunn and you're not entitled to one, because it's not your business to know. A corporate entity has no legal responsibility to the public interest, period.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you are a born again Christian, you better have murdered someone, otherwise give it a rest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For sure the part that's objectionable is "evangelical" because that's what you end up with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aleph Null posted:

I hear God's <not> Dead 3 - for real's this time is looking for a star.

They're on the 4th film, please try to keep up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Soon they'll catch up to the Step Up series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bust Rodd posted:

So apparently Disney/Marvel straight up stopped Pre-Production of Guardians 3. Like told everyone getting prepped to go home and find other work.

Ha ha ha ha ha Disney hosed themselves so hard on this one and they literally cannot find a way to save face and so now they are just tabling the movie until the news cycle is such that maybe in 2-3 more social online outrages they won’t remember Gunn at all.

A stunning backflip over the shark tank.
Mike Cernovitch literally robbed joy from millions of nerds

Lmao.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm not sure why criticism of movies is equated with censorship and oppression?

You know why.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My favorite part of this conversation is that "flawed people operating outside of mainstream society, but they love their family" is the premise of every single Prestige TV show since The Sopranos became a hit, so much so to the point that Disney has tried its hand at it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

It would be fascinating to see the alternate universe where Glenn Howerton got the Starlord gig instead of Pratt. Like obviously it would still be a Marvel Machine flick, but Howerton definitely skews closer in tone and range and performance style of stuff like Super and Slither.

He'd be less smarmy, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I guarantee you there would be no difference.

• Locked thread