Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm of the opinion that Gunn should have been taken to town for those jokes and that's that. Him getting fired at this point is just pandering to the alt-right (let's face it, just call them neo-nazis) outrage squad. Disney would have or should have known his twitter history when they hired him and they didn't care at the time. If they did, they wouldn't want someone with that kind of sense of humor working for them. Gunn says working at Disney changed him and since he has worked there, he hasn't make any garbage "jokes" like that, so maybe the guy did change. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach and if he doesn't do that any more now that he's not working there then freaking fantastic! Somehow having healthy skepticism of a man making pedophile jokes into his 40's being truly changed is a radical position.

I guess you can forgive and excuse someone for anything if they make something you like.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think directors of these Marvel films should take a look at this situation and realize how disposable they are as artists and maybe not renew their contracts when they're up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Trembling in fear of Mike Cernovich is something people seem oddly eager to do.

We should all fear for the jobs of famous rich white dudes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not celebrating it, I'm cracking wise that a lot of the conversation (not so much here but twitter in general) is focusing solely on him and not the bigger picture. And I don't mean caving in to the neo-nazi outrage but corporate culture in general. i wonder if a petition using James Gunn's situation to call out how under captialism everyone is disposable cog no matter how much money they make a company is would receive as many signatures as the one demanding Disney rehire him. And not just those defending him, a lot of people defending the decision to fire him are too focused on the jokes themselves. The vim and vigor is nice but it's focused on everything but the elephant in the room.

But I will admit that I'm less outraged over his firing than I was Jessica Price (and Pete Fries) firing at ArenaNet only because he's a celebrity.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What happens when Disney (or whoever in this hypothetical) owns the majority of movie production companies on the planet and someone has a falling out with them and now can't get a job because they own 70% of everything?

Yes yes "whataboutism" but we're talking about a company that is poised to own a lot of the production capabilities of an industry and that is going to have bad consequences for everyone except the stock holders. It's a matter of when in this instance.

It'll stink, but at least our favorite comic book characters will be in movies together!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 24, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ricdesi posted:

I do agree with you here, but this is the worrying trend. It's not secret anymore, it's not underground or locked away on low-band radio. Alex Jones has millions of viewers, Cernovich seems to be trying to make a new career out of carpetbombing others'. And instead of corporations like Disney telling them to get bent, they're folding like... distressingly fast to any pressure from them.

Unfortunately, corporations will never be allies to anyone. They're not people, despite what the government says. They're machines to generate profit. They'll only ever do "the right thing" if it is in their interest to do so. It's terrible and bad, but that's just capitalism for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NovemberMike posted:

So you want the mega corporation controlled by billionaires to be less politically neutral?

They have not and never will be "politically neutral". They make their wealth off of conservative politics and will always lean and back those kinds of candidates and most likely back their opposition to be a lovely opponent. They will always lean right.

• Locked thread