Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fart City posted:

Thanks for making a thread for this, Hat Thoughts.

I've been seeing a lot of discussion around what should be considered in and off-limits for comedy, with a lot of people saying that Gunn/Harmon/et al are victims of their own fault by going outside of the normal boundaries of taste. I fundamentally disagree with that; I think that gallows humor is a vital necessity to the human experience. If we can't laugh at the worst poo poo in the world every now and then, the world would be an unbearable place to live in.

Anyway.

I was flipping through cable tonight and came across Deadpool on FX. I was struck by an exchange that takes place between Wade Wilson and his girlfriend Vanessa, when they first meet:

So that's straight-up an incest/rape joke in one of the most successful comic book movies released by a major studio in the past couple of years. To me, Gunn's remarks may have been less clever (waaaaaay less clever), but they fall within the same shock shtick. Context matters, and that I worry may be getting a little blurry on that concept. Like if you disagree with me and feel that Gunn and Harmon are a different case, I'm willing to hear your take, but to me that's a really fine line.

Conan made a brony pedo joke on this year's comic con show. The joke ended with something like: "adults that shouldnt be next to children"

Anyone would know what it implies. And anyone with no brain worms can see it was a political motivated attack on gunn's persona.

Btw, they tried to dig some dirty joke tweets on lloyd kaufman and it was hilarious. Like...he is literally troma. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

This isn't Hollywood, but I can't help but feel that the idea started with Arenanet firing two devs (Summary here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-06-arenanet-fires-two-guild-wars-2-writers-over-twitter-exchange-with-youtuber). While I don't think anyone had the intent to get these two devs fired, it did show how conservative companies were to preserve the fragile feelings of their (mostly male) fanbase, even when those devs weren't necessarily acting as representatives of Arenanet, to the extent that talking poo poo back to someone being a dick is grounds for termination?

Ugh, I remember that. And right after the devs where fired they went on the hunt of more devs to get fired (mostly female, they targeted a lot of them). Thankfully they stumbled with some companies who sided with their workers and others who just laughed and threw their complains to the trashcan.

Unless filming companies don't show some cojones to not immediately side with people who are clearly not concerned about anything and just wish to harm an individual , there's gonna be a lot more of drama on the near future.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Plastik posted:

It was bad PR because of the implications intended in the original dump. I can't imagine anyone, Disney employee or not, saying "Welp he made some lovely jokes ten years ago, gotta fire him". They fired him because there's now a document that exists that supports (in an alarmingly specious way) the notion that he's a pedophile, the American Nazis' black mark of choice for the moment, and Disney wanted to get out ahead of this idea.

The he is a pedophile for making edgy jokes and anyone who supports him is a pedophile is a narrative the pro-trump squad of people, conservative "moms" and bots are using. If you buy that, then congrats you are hella gullible and the type of person they would love to have around.

And if that would be the case I'm a baby killer and a cancerous cell in someone's colon because of some edgy jokes I made a fuckton of years ago.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Plastik posted:

Are you implying that I think he's a pedophile? Because I don't. Specious means wrong.

I wasn't meaning you, like you. But anyone out there who is actually buying it. (English not my mother language and it's *squints* 7:00 am now so I'm like still in sleepy land :p)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

In an alternate universe Disney sued Mike Cernovich to oblivion and now he lives in a sewer, Gunn was given 4 more movies, Climate change was stopped and we all live in happiness and peace.

:smith:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ramen Pride! posted:

In my opinion Disney still has a way to fix this.

If they rehired Gunn, and released a statement distancing themselves from the offensive jokes... and then sic that legendary team of Disney lawyers on Cernovich and Infowars and sue their asses off for libel and slander and character defamation and loss of profits in the billions.

Since Cernovich outright lied about Gunn being an actual sexual predator, and there are so many people standing up for him, and it's obvious to all except the most rabid nazis that Gunn is innocent of any actual crimes, I'd bet they have a solid winnable court case, which would mostly clear the air of this franchise destroying PR disaster in the only possible way that keeps Mickey's gloves clean and white.

Alas, nooooo the latest rumor is that Disney's scrapping Gunn's script and doubling down on their decision. What idiots.

Ugh. Im gonna skip the movie then. Sounds like is gonna be a mess (actors showing up just because is in their contracts is a big red sign for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Gunn had even brought up the tweets himself a year before this and apologized for tjenesten.

This. Disney knew since he was hired, people on twitter actually called him out on his tweets years ago, he later apologized. He apologized again in interviews. And again when this poo poo show was brought on him, and again and again and again...and I'm sure he keeps apologizing to this day. The thing is that he wasn't back paddling like many other shitlords do. He acknowledged he was an rear end, the severity of his tweets and actually tried to do something about it.

• Locked thread