Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
whether someone's going to be fired or not perhaps shouldn't be your prime concern here? maybe I dunno.

Or maybe it is? Is that what this thread is about? Hat thoughts suggests its up to the thread what this thread is about and he's not overly fussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Fart City posted:

Thanks for making a thread for this, Hat Thoughts.

I've been seeing a lot of discussion around what should be considered in and off-limits for comedy, with a lot of people saying that Gunn/Harmon/et al are victims of their own fault by going outside of the normal boundaries of taste. I fundamentally disagree with that; I think that gallows humor is a vital necessity to the human experience. If we can't laugh at the worst poo poo in the world every now and then, the world would be an unbearable place to live in.

Anyway.

I was flipping through cable tonight and came across Deadpool on FX. I was struck by an exchange that takes place between Wade Wilson and his girlfriend Vanessa, when they first meet:

So that's straight-up an incest/rape joke in one of the most successful comic book movies released by a major studio in the past couple of years. To me, Gunn's remarks may have been less clever (waaaaaay less clever), but they fall within the same shock shtick. Context matters, and that I worry may be getting a little blurry on that concept. Like if you disagree with me and feel that Gunn and Harmon are a different case, I'm willing to hear your take, but to me that's a really fine line.

There are incest/rape jokes and there are incest/rape jokes though. I think there is a difference between two actors performing material written for them, reviewed and edited by however many people and in which they punch up positioning themselves and our sympathies with them as victims. Versus a guy, whether playing a bit or not, on his own making solo public statements in which he jokes about being the molester. For me that is the context you're talking about, and yeah it does matter.

Like gallows humour made by the person powerless to prevent their hanging and seeing some morbid element of humour in their plight is quite different from some dude setting up a rope in a tree and laughing and joking whilst he hangs himself some... people... and audiences quite understandably will react differently to the two situations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ricdesi posted:

This is a new flavor of gatekeeping. He's written 17 screenplays. He's acted in 17 movies. You don't have to be a stand-up comic to be a comedian.

A while ago people posted some original or earlier drafts of Leon (The Professional if you are on the wrong continent) in which Besson revealed some... worrying aspects of his character through his writing. Of course the final film was quite different, his work and his voice being filtered through review, addition and overhaul by his colleagues and of course being subject to interpretation by his actors performing the work.

Now imagine he posted the things he wrote in that script flat out on twitter? He would have been in the trouble he is now much sooner if he had and thats kind of why its different to have that lack of a safety net when being front and centre and wholly responsible for what you are saying like a stand up comic, or someone posting tweets in public under their own name.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ironman could stop this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I care deeply about what people say, the way they say it, about everything really that relates to, y'know, humans and how they express themselves with one another.

Infact, here look at this share price graph that proves me and also my stance as correct and worthwhile.

dies.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

This is a thread titled about acceptable discourse in hollywood and in the post above mine there is a graph of walt disney co's share price.

But yeah lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I agree Walt Disney Co's share price is a valuable metric when discussing acceptable public discourse. Anywhere.

Like look at what you're saying?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I was fired from Raytheon because I questioned whether it was wise that we should refocus our efforts on the higher profit margin bomb industry. Their share price went up. Lol I'm a total oval office.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I agree lmao and lol.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I am not sure that I am OK.

But I wonder why within a couple of posts of saying something that... I dunno might require... evaluation? I have been quizzed on my sanity by more than one poster.

I'm not all up on this and am somewhat old fashioned but could you explain to be whether this could be a case of gas lighting or not?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Your reading comprehension is poo poo, you ignored the context of a post in order to attack it and then doubled down when people pointed out what you were doing. You should probably take a break.

I've seen a bunch of your posts and they tend to be on the money so yeah, I'll have a look.

But right now I disagree.

Edit: Sorry. What was I doing?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol no, Hitler was defeated by Churchill and Captain America in a tag team match.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I like Pom___________ff's signature.

I guess if nobody is going to say it right anyway why bother writing it all out.

Bradley Cooper's looks like he spent money on a design agency to come up with it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think I can determine the difference between pseudo intellectual and proper intellectual.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I hope someone adopts,and sufficiently waters the tree.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What enabled you to get it?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Emily Blunt was cast as Black Widow

This would probably be the best bit out of all that, not for any reason particularly... just... black widow doesnt really i dunno anything. Its not the actresses fault I dont think so not really fair to support replacing her but still.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Like you can only register the character killing people in order to sell a trinket as a "screw-up," because he's just so lovable. In reality, bad fiction has just conditioned you to accept amorality.

Another example is how Drax considering the lives of others complete expendable is just another one of those lovable green oaf's character quirks.

Yes, conflict propels the story forward - but what I'm pointing out that the story is a manchild's fantasy.

But aren't those guys at the start like space police, isn't starlord killing those guys just dealing with fascist ACAB? When he's dealing with real people he doesn't kill them, like the guy whose leg he bargained/pleaded for politely?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That was who I meant, I can't remember, I thought they were stopping him from stealing the thing, so like maybe mall security? Didn't particularly remember that their salaries were paid by ronan.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Well I guess if they don't make the next GOTG then this one won't have been replaceable. Whats a bit funny is that the reason for this might well be the growing power of a returning popular cast refusing to work without the director, and yet the outcome would be disney just getting rid of the lot of them and moving right on to the next set of nobodies, so an irreplaceable director results in a replaceable franchise.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

You're insane.

I assume you are talking about this:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Also, nobody at Disney was tricked. James Gunn was fired based on things he actually wrote.

If so, where was the deception? Disney made their decision with a pretty full knowledge of the facts I think? We might not like or agree with their decision but I struggle to frame it as them being tricked.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Thor (the first one) isn't a space movie, there aren't even any spaceships in it. Its as much a space movie as I dunno Wizard of Oz or something.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I thought that was to do with the blog or whatever where he described or rated or whatever superheroines that he wanted to gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Roseanne was more important and required the higher ups to consider all the ramifications and how to deal with things.

James gunn was some nobodies lower down went "whelp" and told their bosses they needed to get rid and they looked at the numbers and went yeah cool whatever.

• Locked thread