Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fair.

Dan Harmon isn't going to be fired for making a gross crude joke in the past which he deleted on a network that aired this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAU_Ez84l4c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Deadpool joke was in the earliest leaked draft I had which I think happened around 2009ish.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

Adult Swim can’t go down this road with Harmon because if they do they’ll have to literally fire Justin Roiland into the sun.

Literally every one that works for them too
:nws:
https://youtu.be/vs6V8EILM0M

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Deadpool joke was in the earliest leaked draft I had which I think happened around 2009ish.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah, edit nevermind. Fuckin with me haha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really get slightly annoyed when you say 10 years wasn’t that long ago. The world was so much different than what it was today. The culture has shifted so far from then that it’s still completely alien to a lot of people.

The stuff that was considered high comedy then is super cringy and outdated by today’s standards.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hangover 2 has an extended transgendered rape joke that’s played for laughs, tons of racist humor (I think? I barely remember that movie, it was so awful), and jokes at the expense of the mentally ill. Jack and Jill was filled with really cruel racist and gay jokes as most Sandler films are.

30 Minutes or Less would flat out not exist today at all.

I just glanced at the 2011 comedies list but what we found funny then is a hard flip to now.

Being edgy was the cool thing to do. It was to stick it to those “pc people” for tying to stamp on our jokes. Voices weren’t heard yet. It was just liberals yelling into the void instead of the people who were actually bothered and oppressed.

It wasn’t until the rape culture talk came out that rape jokes have been pretty much wiped out for the most part

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

40 year olds are allowed to be immature.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I brought that up in the last thread. Family Guy also had a ton of nasty rape jokes, and MacFarlane was a character in Sing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s not a comedian. Directing movies with comedic elements is not the same thing as being a comedian. It lacks the personal and performative aspects of actually BEING a comedian.

like what

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

If you're an entertainer of any kind, and you're on Twitter making jokes, it's the same as if you're on stage being recorded. Anyone who didn't realize that ten years ago was an idiot.

I'm glad you lived 10 years ahead of 10 years ago, but most people didn't. A lot of stand up comedians used smaller sets to test out jokes to weed out which ones worked and which ones don't. Then people started to record them and that hosed it all up. I think that's a bit lovely considering one of the hardest parts of being a creative is figuring out what works and what doesn't. You need to test it out on other people to see if it clicks or it's just trash.

That BEING said, if some nasty michael richards poo poo was going on, then yeah. recording is good and justified.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

If Disney had a problem with the tweets in 2008 they shouldn't have hired him, agreed. But also, Gunn was an idiot. That is to say, if he's going to act like an innocent victim here, he's an idiot. But I've not seen a statement from him indicating that yet, so maybe he understands that this is just how the game is played.

Yo my dude he issued an apology where he put all the blame on himself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm sure he could defend himself against Mike, but uh, he didn't really have a chance too?

And why post stuff like that? I dunno! I can't tell you. Why do people poo poo post? Most of the time it isn't funny. Perhaps it's just to let off some steam. Be as nasty as possible channeling the extreme to a point of catharsis?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In what way is he restricted from defending himself?

Disney fired him. That ends it there. It's like defending yourself after someone shoots you in the face. You're already dead. Although, I don't know what kind of defense you mean. Like defending the jokes? I don't think James is that evil to do that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Gunn can come make movies with me. It’ll be fun and cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We need some laughs up in here

https://deadline.com/2018/07/roseanne-barr-james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-abc-disney-fired-1202432755/

quote:

“I’m disgusted to read all of the support for James Gunn’s pedophile jokes – as the same people supported blacklisting me for a joke they didn’t even understand,”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNrteSAu5ys&t=41s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And Rian Johnson deleted a lot of tweets too. Which is pretty smart. The site is wondering why someone would do that, despite Johnson not being much of a edgy guy.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-director-rian-johnson-delete-20-thousand-tweets/

The answer is, who cares. Kill all that poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's going to be fairly interesting when Guardians 3 comes out and everyone is like "These aren't the guardians."

They asked Gunn to help write the Guardians scenes in Infinity War by the way. They didn't ask Cargil or Derrickson to write the Doctor Strange parts. Or the thousands of writers who did Homecoming to write the Spider-Man parts. They asked Gunn because they knew how without him, there is no Guardians.

So good luck Disney.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah but what's the end goal here - u know? Should Disney hire back James Gunn if they don't fire Johnny Depp? If they do fire Johnny Depp does that mean they're no longer hypocritical & don't need to hire James Gunn back? You can argue an ethical standard on this stuff all u want but they're never going to act in a morally consistent way because that will never ever be the way decisions are made or something they care about.

Fire everyone and make movies with computers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian Johnson is a super nice dude and everyone who hates him sucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not really. He's seems to be one of the more hated people in pop entertainment, constantly being harassed by angry star wars fans, AND he works for disney. He probably just purged it to be safe. I think him and Gunn might be friends IRL? All these people tend to hang out with each other so who knows.

Better to be safe than sorry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian Johnson is too nice to Star Wars fans imo.

Way, way, way too nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That article didn’t say a single thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Are you broken?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Your reaction was over the top.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

Remember when Dan Harmon caught a little flak about a week or two ago for a video of himself loving a plastic baby doll...?

Justin Roiland is getting served up now and it is predictably a lot harder to to get a grip on what’s happening.

This is the oldest loving thing and everyone knows about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/zoesaldana/status/1023972129870503937

This is loving awesome,

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well yeah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The horror!!!!!!!!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It reminds me of the Friends list thing Myspace used to have, where who you put first and last (or not at all) showed how much you "cared" about that person. When I was 14 I knew a friendship was up when he removed me from the close friends list lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who did Disney think they hired when they hired James Gunn? Did they just watch Scooby Doo and say "Yeah sure that fella"?

They weren't aware of the tweets lmao.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here's a really good article about James Gunn that I think needs to be put into this conversation.

https://medium.com/@joninarebekka/the-truth-about-james-gunn-and-the-pedophile-in-his-childhood-f7ba23855a82

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not only was Batista the stand out character in the film, but has the most stand out character of all the cast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

*crunch*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only one in that list that actually matters is Pratt. Since they could easily replace voice actors, and the fate of Gamora hasn't been solved yet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We brought back everyone else...but uh, Drax didn't follow.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can share and believe in god

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CineD rejoices

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Part 2 was mostly poo poo anyway so it's no big loss.

Big loss for me, as that’s probably my favorite MCU movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, not that far.

• Locked thread