Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ihatepants posted:

Is it true that the tweets themselves were already deleted a long time ago and that Cernovich had to use some sort of third party service to find them? I'd seen a couple of people mention that in the other thread, but I don't think I've seen that mentiojed in any of the articles covering what happened.

That's what I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"GUNN ISN'T AN INNOCENT VICTIM"

The dude made some off-color jokes that he deleted after he changed. It's not like he was committing crimes here. He's on such a different level from people like Mel Gibson and Kevin Spacey that he shouldn't even be in the same conversation as them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Most of the defenses focus on the fact that the tweets were bad, but also they were 10 years ago, except that 10 years ago was about when he started working for Disney, so the argument seems to be that they shouldn’t have hired him at all.

Disney has knowingly hired a lot of people despite their bad behavior, many of whom are far worse than Gunn. I don't think making off-color jokes on Twitter and then deleting them should disqualify you from employment. Spousal abuse, attempted statutory rape, racism, and sexual harassment of female employees at the studio? That's a bit different.

Notice how Gunn gets kicked out on his rear end within days while John Lasseter is given a quiet buy-out and allowed to stay on as a consultant for the rest of the year. They know who their loyalty lies with and who they consider disposable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Disney isn’t getting duped, he’s completely correct.

If Gunn has made jokes about women, or racist comments, he’d still have his job, but he’s making jokes about little kids while working for the biggest toy company in the world. This is a no brainer for Disney, I just also think it should end with someone throwing a flaming bag of dogshit at Mike and also with Gunn getting another job soon somewhere else.

You say "making" like he's still doing it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Maybe directors shouldn't be working for an amoral behemoth in the first place if they don't want to be victims of amoral decision-making.

You can't suckle at Satan's teat and then complain that the milk is curdled.

There's no such thing as ethical consumption or employment under capitalism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sucrose posted:

Why does every SA discussion have to boil down to this? Yeah, yeah, we know, nothing good can ever truly happen on this imperfect earth.

Because it's really dumb to say "Why didn't Gunn just not work for Disney if he didn't want to have his life hosed up???" as if they're not one of the best options for prominent work if you're a director.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

George "There are fine people on both sides" Lucas.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

esperterra posted:

Chrises Evans and Hemsworth have unfollowed Gunn on twitter apparently lmao

Captain America would be disappointed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

Don Cheadle and Chris Evans have both called out that website as lying. Either they didn't unfollow or never followed to begin with.

https://i.imgur.com/nkA7Cx4.jpg

All right, he can remain as Captain America in my book.

esperterra posted:

I just find the importance some people put on twitter and who is following who on twitter to be hilarious. Not just in movies, but any industry where people collaborate on something or have some kind of working relationship. The fuckin drama that occurs when a drag queen unfollows another drag queen sustains my cringe comedy quota for months!

And yeah I think plenty high profile actors/etc profiles are usually either run by or at the very least run through their PR people.

I think in some instances you can figure it out. Chris Evans probably runs his own with all the anti-Trump stuff he's done, since no PR person would ever approve a Twitter being so political.

There's a D&D livestream called Critical Role that I watch where the DM is Matt Mercer and all the other players are prominent voice actors like Travis Willingham, Laura Bailey, and Liam O'Brien. It started out as just a friendly game for Liam's birthday that they kept going for a year or two before eventually getting on Geek & Sundry as a livestream.

They used to include Orion Acaba (the English voice of Apollo Justice), but after a little over two dozen episodes on Geek & Sundry he suddenly left the show. It took a while for everything to come out, but he had been engaging in some really awful behavior due to drug addiction, an HIV diagnosis, and generally being a kinda crappy guy.

I was curious about whether Orion was still their friend and if the separation was a mutual decision with no hard feelings, so I checked Twitter. The entire Critical Role cast follows one another and comments on each other's stuff all the time, since they're all best friends in real life. Not Orion, though. Only two people still had him on there. That was a pretty good way to tell how they felt about him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

esperterra posted:

I remember when he first wanted out. Then his directorial debut did badly so he seemed all in on Cap again lmao.

I bet plenty people want out after IF at this point, tho.

The cast gets on extremely well from everything I know and a lot of close friendships have formed because of it (which is probably one of the reasons the cast of Guardians banded together to protest Gunn's firing; all of them formed strong bonds), but the major roles are tough. They're long hours for a lot of movies, lots of media appearances and marketing, and a near-permanent association with that role. Robert Downey Jr. has been playing Tony Stark for 10 years at this point and he's still got at least one more movie with Avengers: End Game.

I can see the major players like Chris Evans just wanting a break after nearly a decade of constant work on Marvel movies. As great as they are for your resume and bank account, he's gotta be exhausted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drax is one of the ones killed in Infinity War, so they have an out for just not bringing him back for sequels.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

Until Mike Cernovich finds out there were pedophile jokes in Hunt for the Wilderpeople and then Taika's next up against the wall.

Disney impulsively fires every good Marvel director and finds themselves left with Zack Snyder and Ben Affleck to make the next part of the MCU.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Jeff Bridges getting shot in the face was absolutely worth the price of admission

You mean Kurt Russell?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wendell posted:

Bautista would do it. :krakken:

Bautista will probably actually try to kill Cernovich if he ever sees him in person.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you are a born again Christian, you better have murdered someone, otherwise give it a rest.

The CEO at my job became a born-again Christian because he spent his youth smoking a lot of pot and robbing people. Not like armed robbery, but he'd do stuff like pocket the parking fees when working as a parking attendant or steal from beach lockers. He just took whatever the hell he wanted if he saw an opportunity until he felt bad and had a religious epiphany.

The flip side is that he thinks everyone else is the same as he was when he was younger, so he's paranoid that everyone is trying to steal something from him and won't trust anyone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sucrose posted:

Though, about that party, I recently read that Gunn has mentioned for years that when he was a young child in Catholic school that one of the priests was a pedophile who sexually abused the kids in Gunn's class. In light of that I tend to think it's most likely that him dressing as a catholic priest at that party just shows that he has a rather twisted sense of humor about it, and not anything more menacing.

Pretty much all of Gunn's sense of humor came from attempts to handle his childhood problems. It's no surprise that he got his start with writing Tromeo & Juliet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5M5v4d3b8s

I'm sure it's been said before, but Gunn based Rocket Raccoon's personality on himself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I feel like under the circumstances, it would probably be kind of hard to get somebody to come in and fill the role left by Gunn. I couldn't imagine working with all the actors, knowing they'd most likely resent whoever took over.

Better to just scrap it. Yeah, Guardians is a money maker, but they can easily create another.

But in the end, gently caress Disney.

I'm sure all of the actors would be perfectly professional (especially Chris Pratt because he's still kinda wishy-washy and afraid to rock the boat in any major sense), but they definitely wouldn't be giving it their all. Bautista especially wouldn't be pleasant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Don't reply to BOTL.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davros1 posted:

I remember when this board was proclaiming the first GotG to be even greater than Star Wars

Star Wars is pretty cheesy, honestly. Sometimes not the good kind.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was really happy that for a while it seemed like people would just ignore BOTL instead of pretending he’s doing anything in good faith.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

I just want to remind you all that Marvel has found directors to replace Jon Favreau, Patty Jenkins, Edgar Wright, and Joss Whedon and all of their replacements’ movies did just fine.

None of those had the direction and writing so heavily influenced by the director as GOTG. I think Gunn was even the sole writer for GOTG 2.

Also Patty Jenkins never worked for Marvel. She's the Wonder Woman director.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MorgaineDax posted:

Patty Jenkins was supposed to direct Thor 2 at one point.

She was on the project for less than 2 months and her ideas weren't used at all. She probably had less influence on the film than craft services.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

porfiria posted:

I'll say this: the Guardians' relationship to the Nova Corps is really odd and not what you might, uh, expect from a movie about a bunch of criminal outsiders. Like, contrast with Snake Plissken's relationship to the US Government for example.

They're not quite criminals after the first film. They're still rougher and more on the outside of the law, but they're generally fighting to keep people safe rather than committing crime or hunting bounties for profit. They probably earned more cred with the Nova Corps than any other life form in the galaxy by warning them of Ronan's attack and saving basically the entire galaxy from him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sure. If you made kid rape jokes on twitter before you went to work for Disney and you are moderately famous but ultimately replaceable then your job may be in jeopardy.

Let's clarify. Jokes made before he worked for Disney which Disney was aware of at the time of his hiring. Jokes that he had apologized for and deleted years ago, which Cernovich had to actually put effort into re-revealing that he said it once.

It's not like this stuff was a surprise that suddenly came out. Disney was fully aware of the jokes' existence and gave him his second chance. Cernovich just found a way to throw up a renewed stink about it and Disney made a panicky knee-jerk move that is now backfiring badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

So, just to clarify, two sci fi franchises that enshrined and protected the status quo are cynical, but GOTG, where they fight to protect the status quo, and is part of the MCU, where the status quo is absolutely never challenged, is optimistic?

Just checking that those are, respectively, your criticisms and defences of the two franchises.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say the Guardians "fight to protect the status quo" when all three conflicts they've been involved in had the alternative to the status quo be "the entire universe is devastated beyond belief." Like Britain and America weren't defending the status quo when they kicked Hitler out of France.

• Locked thread