Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

In my opinion no joke should be off limits. Whether or not the person should be "shunned" for the joke comes down completely to intent and motivation.

If a person's intent in telling the type of jokes that James Gunn told is to tell that they are a child molester or to support other molesters, then he should have been shunned for those jokes.

A personal example. I have a friend who's east Asian and I make stupid Asian jokes to him, and he makes ethnic jokes back to me. At the end of the day, we know we care about either other, and the context CLEARLY shows that we mean no harm by the jokes, and if I heard a hateful person making similar comments to my friend I'd be furious about it. Nobody is offended or bothered within the context of the conversation, but I'm sure if somebody else heard my comments out of context they might think they are helping at throwing a fit over it, but that's without knowing the context and years of history that my friend and I have with each other.

It seemed we as a society were turning the corner to move past the days of the "seven dirty words", but we've actually somehow turned the corner in a completely different way in which the content of the words is nitpicked now more than ever. I don't see how this type of censorship is helpful to our society at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

With Gunn’s old Tweets, one has to keep in mind that Guardians of the Galaxy is a franchise that jokes about prison rape: the manchild hero receives unwelcome advances from a big gay alien, who then gets his comeuppance when his orifices are (literally) penetrated with wood.

Gunn never moved past the juvenility that’s so evident in the tweets. He simply toned it down and covered it with a veneer of family friendliness.

The Guardians franchise perfectly illustrates the hypocrisy of both fans and the Disney Corporation. The franchise is nominally about a bunch of killers and criminals trying to be better people, but they are simply asinine comic book characters, alternatively sources of cheap, insufferable comedy, or of transparent emotional manipulation. Gunn’s achievement has been to sentimentalize the lives of a manchild in space, two CGI toys, and a whole bunch Star Trek rejects as they go around killing people for money. This is the crux of the movement to get Gunn back on board - this is what people are fighting for.

It’s a movie series that’s perfect for people who want it both ways. It’s perfect for fans who want Gunn’s terrible, juvenile Tweets to be forgiven, so that he can direct another terrible, juvenile movie that infantilizes its audience. And it’s perfect for a corporation that demands a strict code of conduct from its employees while teaching children to sympathize with mercenaries because they feel bad about their mums.

You had me, then completely lost me.

• Locked thread