Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

zandert33 posted:

In my opinion no joke should be off limits. Whether or not the person should be "shunned" for the joke comes down completely to intent and motivation.

If a person's intent in telling the type of jokes that James Gunn told is to tell that they are a child molester or to support other molesters, then he should have been shunned for those jokes.

A personal example. I have a friend who's east Asian and I make stupid Asian jokes to him, and he makes ethnic jokes back to me. At the end of the day, we know we care about either other, and the context CLEARLY shows that we mean no harm by the jokes, and if I heard a hateful person making similar comments to my friend I'd be furious about it. Nobody is offended or bothered within the context of the conversation, but I'm sure if somebody else heard my comments out of context they might think they are helping at throwing a fit over it, but that's without knowing the context and years of history that my friend and I have with each other.

It seemed we as a society were turning the corner to move past the days of the "seven dirty words", but we've actually somehow turned the corner in a completely different way in which the content of the words is nitpicked now more than ever. I don't see how this type of censorship is helpful to our society at all.

You're right, If I want to roast a 12 year old at his birthday, I should not be shunned, because my intent was to have a fun roast like on comedy central, it's not my fault your kid can't take a joke! gently caress you! I'll leave when I'm good and ready, HEY don't touch me, that's ASSAULT, SOMEONE CALL THE COPS! *gets forcibly ejected from Chuck-e-Cheese*

But seriously though, where was the pitchfork wielding mob? No one forced Disney. Disney fired a person because they are a poo poo bag, cowardly corporation that exists to maximize profit potential. They saw some internet grumbling and went, "Well, every single employee we have, even directors, are all immediately replaceable and firing a person to dispel anger usually works, therefor he's fired." This isn't censorship meant to be helpful to our society, it's censorship meant to be helpful to Disney's profitability. Regular people didn't make this decision, some corporate board of directors made this decision. This could have been avoided if James Gunn had helped lead his fellow employees with star power to unionize Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread