Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMaGScXMXAg

I've always loved the end credits from Citizen Kane. Even though it's Orson Welles' big splash into cinema, he makes sure every single starring player gets their name on-screen and with a bit of their performance. Even neater that all the clips are outtakes rather than what's in the film proper (just like how the trailer was made from outtakes and b-roll). And when Welles' name comes up in the additional cast, he's dead last. But what's really great is how Gregg Toland shared the same card as Welles' credit for producing and directing. I don't think a cinematographer has ever had that sort of treatment.

For that matter, Welles did some neat stuff with credits on his films. The first cut of Othello had the credits spoken by Welles over music and shots of Venice at the beginning. They're spoken again on The Trial at the end. And F for Fake has that amazing first scene and montage before its opening credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I recently rewatched Persona and it has one hell of an opening. It gets you uneasy before a single credit appears, which are only flashed on the screen for a few frames each. Such a great way to establish mood even fits seemingly unconnected to the main narrative.

Also, I love the opening credits for Lawrence of Arabia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQWgR95c5PM

Simplistic, but I love how it jumps right into the movie.

• Locked thread