Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That legitimately is almost exactly the color of greenboard MMR drywall. At first I thought you didn't paint it at all. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

That legitimately is almost exactly the color of greenboard MMR drywall. At first I thought you didn't paint it at all. :laffo:

Haha, I also am colorblind so these things are often lost on me. The green color mold resistant drywall I used was a lot more blue and dull colored. Like a blue grey. It's repainted now! I just have a few items left, a piece of door case, and painting the trim after filling nail homes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Got it dug out, and reburied and redug out. It's kind of a smooth process now lol. I want to keep my wife's car in the garage because it's new but at some point I will have to take it over.

Recap! Where do we sit?

The last thing I did was primed the fenders, and I did so with poorly mixed epoxy that didn't set. It's actually kind of harder now like it still worked, but I'll be sanding it off regardless.

The car can start, run and move under it's own power but only just. The gas is pretty old in it, so a drain is in order. The battery is wrecked. I should have disconnected it. It read zero volts and wouldn't charge. I kind of got a half of a charge to it with a jump and trickle charge but it's for sure gone. Enough power to start anyway, which is useful.

The power steering pump is a disaster. It sounded horrible and the fluid started smoking. I think there was debris in the fluid when I drained it like I smoked the pump mechanisms. A couple of observations here. I probably didn't have enough fluid in it. I also had the worst routing for the return line as it was touching the exhaust manifold. I don't know why I thought that was OK to just wrap in reflective heat wrap and send it. Solution for this is twofold, I'm adding a cooler, and will route that line higher along the fender so I can clear everything. The added fluid mass should help. I also see the pulley isn't aligned quite right so I'll shim the pump slightly. Let's get it right!

The good news here is this pump is a typical GM Saginaw unit so a new one isn't hard to source. I want to confirm the pulley mount and I'll be in my way. And goddamn it I should write the part number in my journal.

In my typical fashion though I do have like six jobs open on this car so here's a tree with my various paths.

• Rust on convertible bow
  • Bodywork and prime fenders
  • Repair power steering pump
  • Replace speaker and stereo
  • Clean, pinstripe trim for dash controls
  • Replace Gasket on rear and on transmission to stem leaks (new!)
  • New battery, and add disconnect.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey were in sidetrack city over here.

I'm working on a little Sim racing rig to play GT7 in VR. So obviously I'm a capable person who's cheap as hell.

The plan, copy the design of the most readily available cockpits and do it out of steel.

Base Fram is 1x2 square tube, upright is also. Pedal mount is t slot aluminum. Brackets designed by me from scratch in CAD AND (On shape) and cut by SendCutSend. Seat is from a 1992 supra that I got from my barber.

I'm working out the logistics and I have time to post but not enough to wrap it up today. However, I'm having a nice sit in the seat and it's going to be way better than the couch.

The seat is electric so I'm going to town with electrical on it. I'll follow up when that's in actual progress.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Hell yes on both the car and the fake car. Cool stuff!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That is cool. When I did this some years back I hacked some stuff out of plywood and 2x4s with a junkyard seat. That was a pretty great setup, this looks much nicer. I threw casters on it and was pretty happy with it.

Note the table I hacked wood away with a sawzall so the wheel could mount on it :lol:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

That is cool. When I did this some years back I hacked some stuff out of plywood and 2x4s with a junkyard seat. That was a pretty great setup, this looks much nicer. I threw casters on it and was pretty happy with it.

Note the table I hacked wood away with a sawzall so the wheel could mount on it :lol:

That rules! One of the guys in the goon racing discord made his out of wood as well and it came out great, especially like you did with a coat of black paint.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

StormDrain posted:

I'm working out the logistics and I have time to post but not enough to wrap it up today. However, I'm having a nice sit in the seat and it's going to be way better than the couch.

The seat is electric so I'm going to town with electrical on it. I'll follow up when that's in actual progress.

If the seat is electric would it be worth it to do like a base shaker or something under it?

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 20, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mustache Ride posted:

If the seat is electric would it be worth it to do like a base shaker or something under it?

That's about two levels of difficulty beyond what one doing. Although I'd love it. Gt7 on the Playstation 5 doesn't support that natively so I'd have to do some kind of third party integration reading the raw data, and at that point I'd be better off doing ACC or iRacing on a computer. Which is :10bux:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Simhub supports GT7 now, you just need to set it up with a PC I think?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StormDrain posted:

Hey were in sidetrack city over here.

I'm working on a little Sim racing rig to play GT7 in VR. So obviously I'm a capable person who's cheap as hell.

The plan, copy the design of the most readily available cockpits and do it out of steel.

Base Fram is 1x2 square tube, upright is also. Pedal mount is t slot aluminum. Brackets designed by me from scratch in CAD AND (On shape) and cut by SendCutSend. Seat is from a 1992 supra that I got from my barber.

I built mine out of 80/20 like a month before I discovered SendCutSend.

Pisses me off to this day. :v:

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Simhub supports GT7 now, you just need to set it up with a PC I think?
I was under the impression that one had to have Simhub running and connected to a PC intermediary to have it running that sort of stuff for GT7. If that is not the case, then I am very interested in how one would go about that.

Thank you for this opportunity to derail StormDrain's thread too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

crackhaed posted:

I was under the impression that one had to have Simhub running and connected to a PC intermediary to have it running that sort of stuff for GT7. If that is not the case, then I am very interested in how one would go about that.

Thank you for this opportunity to derail StormDrain's thread too.

Worlds colliding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sort of complete! Ready for practical testing. If only it wasn't 200 lbs and I'd put it in place and race tonight.

I added wheels to the back so I can tilt and move it. It also sits on leveling feet. I oversized the wheels which was a mistake as it limits the adjustment available. I for some reason thought this tube was 2" tall and it's 1.5".

Squaring up the verticals, centering the wheel, and cutting to the right length wasn't easy and I'm glad I waited for a clear head to do it. I had it a little too tight so I ended up cutting one bracket for the motor, removing some material and welding it back up, which allowed me to fix it too since it was a bit out of square. It's still out of square but it works fine. Tilt works great now.

I decided to bolt the uprights as well so I can take it down flatter if I need, or sell it to someone down the line who's taller.

I rounded up some 1" rubber body mounts to raise the seat up, which helped ergo a ton. I'd still prefer the pedals a little lower, and I may have new brackets cut for them to accomplish that. The seats wired up loosely for now. I need to mount the power supply as well. When it warms up (currently 20F here and 45f in the garage with a little heater running all day).