Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I don't know if we have a British car thread, I looked around and couldn't find one. I have a 2005 Lotus Elise. It is great, but it is not at all practical. Any other British car owners out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Latest thing I did was make the aircon function like a normal car by removing a restrictor plate behind the pedal box. Now I can handle the 110ºF Texas summer days with ease.

Apparently this plate is there to keep cold British outside air from coming into the cabin at highway speeds and going up your British pants. Totally useless in Texas.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Just bought this thing, friend is driving it down from Kansas City today:

1989 Bentley Turbo R. 75k miles. White on white. Will be a project to get it sparkling clean and detailed this weekend.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Any other British car owners out there?

No but I'm drat happy to live vicariously through someone vastly less risk-averse than myself :allears:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
The bentley made it 700 miles from KC to austin without any mechanical issues. So far the main problems are just minor things.

Trunk latch striker doesn’t cause the lid to latch every time, needs a slight adjustment.

A speaker is blown.

Power window switch on the driver door that controls front passenger window doesn’t work, but the switch on the passenger door works and the motor is fine, need to probably clean and rebuild the switch in the driver door.

Some interior detailing and carpet cleaning needs to be done. Saddle soap and some shampooing will take care of most of it. No real cracks and just a few scuffs that will buff out with some leather polish.

Power seatbelt on the drivers side doesn’t run, so you have to fasten seatbelt manually, and one seatbelt latch housing is a little broken.

Horn selector switch is missing (the car has two horns, a polite and an angry horn, it is stuck in polite horn mode).

Also some minor paint cracking and things that will need some sanding and buffing, very good for a 30 year old car. I think it must have a quarter inch of paint on there, it is really lacquered on thick so there is a lot to work with.

For $12,000 I am very happy with it, thats at the low end of the NADA value for one of this year and milage. Way better way to spend $12000 than on a honda fit.

Shutting the doors sounds like a bank vault closing, and the tires are 275 60 r 15s all around. It is basically a bus, but it really does go when you step on it and it feels surprisingly nimble given that it is a 5300 pound 15mpg highway pig monster.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Having a Toyota ignition system disqualifies you from the real British car experience of parking somewhere and hoping it starts. Try again.

See also sputtering to a halt and hoping you can coast to the shoulder.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No but I'm drat happy to live vicariously through someone vastly less risk-averse than myself :allears:

+1

Also wowza 275/60R15! Bet it's an adventure trying to find tires, any cross compatibility? I can't imagine a lot of cars were sold with that size.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bajaha posted:

+1

Also wowza 275/60R15! Bet it's an adventure trying to find tires, any cross compatibility? I can't imagine a lot of cars were sold with that size.

Thats actually the alternate size most people use, where you can find them for $150 and there are 3-4 manufacturers. OEM is a 255 65 15 and seems to only be made by one manufacturer for $500 per corner.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 21, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

275/60R15 is a fairly popular fitment on older muscle cars. So you could put slicks on it if you wanted!

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Elephanthead posted:

Having a Toyota ignition system disqualifies you from the real British car experience of parking somewhere and hoping it starts. Try again.

See also sputtering to a halt and hoping you can coast to the shoulder.

Why yes, yes I do hate myself.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

IOwnCalculus posted:

275/60R15 is a fairly popular fitment on older muscle cars. So you could put slicks on it if you wanted!

Also the GMT400 454SS and 350 Sport.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
The interior of the Bentley is really in amazing shape for a 1989:

Even before detailing.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 23, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I am jealous of both your British cars what in the poo poo am I having a stroke or something did I really just say that

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Does anyone smell toast

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Apparently this plate is there to keep cold British outside air from coming into the cabin at highway speeds and going up your British pants Trousers

If you’re going to drive the car you’ve got to learn to speak the correct language.

I live near the Bentley factory. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an actual Bentley out in the wild other than the ones that are out on their factory shakedown/test drive.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

AdiaBOOtic posted:

I am jealous of both your British cars what in the poo poo am I having a stroke or something did I really just say that

I am an addict and you are an enabler.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
That Bently is so sweet.

In one of Leno's pieces on one (don't recall model) he said it really didn't have any major problems. I think he tends to the optimistic side. But at the time of the piece he pointed out you could get into his model used for $25k or so which got you a LOT of car.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I saw that the day after I bought this one on ebay, and funny enough it is the same model and exact same year as the one I had just purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierOoMQC0Ek

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
As a Brit I'm sorry about your debilitating brain problems that lead you to somehow buying our cars haha.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

track day bro! posted:

As a Brit I'm sorry about your debilitating brain problems that lead you to somehow buying our cars haha.

They’re good cars, Brit.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've always kinda fancied an Elise/Exige but after driving about in one they seem like too much of a pain to drive on the road regularly. Maybe for something I'd trailer to the track but then I'd just get a Caterham and not have to worry about the costs of expensive clamshell replacement.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

track day bro! posted:

I've always kinda fancied an Elise/Exige but after driving about in one they seem like too much of a pain to drive on the road regularly. Maybe for something I'd trailer to the track but then I'd just get a Caterham and not have to worry about the costs of expensive clamshell replacement.

Yeah i am worrying about that now, actually. Got a scratch on the rear end, and when I took it into the shop, an employee backed into it, hitting the rear clam and pushing the front clam into another car. They wanted to total it, but since I own it outright they also offered me a check for about 75% of the value of the car, which would let me keep a clean title and put in a little of my own money to actually fix it.

Usually they total it and write you a check for the total value of the car, then take the car and try to make back some of the cost by auctioning it off. If there is a lien on it they will usually force you to do that to make sure the lien is paid off (the bank gets to decide if you get to keep it, basically, since they’re the lien holder).

So right now I have a perfectly working elise with some cosmetic damage, and I’m trying to figure put the best way to get it fixed.

Doesn’t really LOOK totaled, imho.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

They’re good cars, Brit.

Oh my god marry me

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

They’re good cars, Brit.

:golfclap:

Goddamn, that Bentley looks amazing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Testing the puddle arc distances for soaking poor people waiting at bus stops:

not something i would actually do

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Most amazing part of the Bentley putchase is the service log:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Well of course not. Sure it's nice, but it's no Hyundai.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

:aaaaa:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Hide Food.

Feeding your leather is the most important part of an interior detail, old chap.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I think the person keeping that log must have lived inside a wes anderson movie.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So what do people make of the new McLaren Speedtail? The front-wheel disks really do it no favours. Other than that, I kinda like the slight retro look.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Just bought this thing, friend is driving it down from Kansas City today:

1989 Bentley Turbo R. 75k miles. White on white. Will be a project to get it sparkling clean and detailed this weekend.

Omg
How did I miss this thread? Good find, looks great.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

How much of that puddle ended up inside the cabin?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Oldish picture that I've posted before, need to find some newer ones.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

meltie posted:

How much of that puddle ended up inside the cabin?

Amazingly none!

got the stereo installed “as if” today. For some reason it doesn’t turn on. Will try hooking it directly to the battery tomorrow and see whats what.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
AC compressor clutch does not engage when the switch to engage it is closed, need to figure this out too.

Probably going to buy another compressor on ebay or see what we can get from o’reilly tomorry.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 28, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Heyyyy - radio issue turned put to be a configuration issue on the radio itself.

Working a charm now, next step will be taking the doors off and seeing what kind of new speakers I can fit in there.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't have a British car, but I do have a British bike that leaks oil and has occasional starter issues (relay is going bad), so it's just like a gentler version of owning a British car (fewer things to go wrong).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Oooh motorbikes. Not me but my father and his gang. Will get back to the thread.

In the mean time just completed this puzzle.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Got the drivers side window switches working. The passenger window switch in the driver door was not working. Took forever to find because all the components tested good with the multimeter, someone had just reversed a plug going into the back of the switch inside the passenger door that handled the switch signals coming in from the driver door switch.

#electrics

This thing is built like a goddamn HOUSE, not a car. All the switches and door pulls are solid metal and super hefty when you pull them off. Every piece of wood on the doors and dash is an inch thick. It’s bonkers.

Also ordered new speakers for the doors after confirming they are 5.25” size, that will be tonight/tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i will support your dumb british car across subforums