Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I was glad I played hard. It's cool how much you can do from the start -- I probably spent like 2 hours going through the Neuromods division after getting to the lobby before following the first story queue lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Should I just start on hard? I'm very familiar with the Dishonored/Deus Ex/System Shock play style and I want my first experience to be challenging

Yeah I hadn't played any of those games in forever and still enjoyed hard mode.You might have to run away from a fight or two or find ways to incorporate environmental hazards or whatever but it's never felt unfair

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

dangerdoom volvo posted:

good game. was very skeptical when they said its a spiritual sequel to system shock for like the 5th time but it was actually right

Lol yeah we've been burned on that a few times huh.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wrench is godlike with Combat Focus 3 and the wrench damage upgrades you can just slow time and beat the poo poo out of anythinfb

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I just jumped out of my loving chair from a jump scare and I need to lie down.

Lol was it the video-glass thing?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I instantly shattered it with my wrench and yelled

Lmao prey is so cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

It's kinda funny that they prevent you from building one billion neuromods once you get the fabrication kit. But once I get Hacking 4 and the last movement speed bonus not sure what else I would even get. I wanna stay away from the psionics since I want to retain my humanity (lore friendly).

I'm not sure what I did that you didn't but somehow I unlocked unlimited neuromod fabrication very very early, like as soon as i got the plans for it. I guess it's something I found in the neuromod division?

edit: also doing a human-only run here :cheers: but i'll probably go back and do a psionic only run in NG+ and also try to kill every human on the ship

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I started on HARD with all the survival modifiers turned on and these dudes (Phantasms?) in the lobby are owning me

The survival mode stuff seems tough but hard mode without it isn't too bad . I would not enjoy having my guns break and poo poo lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lol just found a really cool audio lot about the Reployers you see everywhere

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If you're going all human the L3 combat focus power is stupid good . First 2 levels don't do much of anything but then it just turns into Witch Time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I got to a later part where you meet all the survivors holed up in cargo and they're all talking over each other an the VA is all this soulless mumbling that I was gonna say was Bethesda-tier trash and then I remembered. also it's exacerbated by maybe a PC only bug where the voice volume can't be adjusted and it plays roughly 2.5x louder than everything else and has a blown out static. I can set it to 0 and they shut up but even at 1 it plays crazy loud

One thing I like is that Fallout: New Vegas style you can kill literally everyone and never interact with an NPC. Hell you can even blow up January bot when you first meet her and basically play the game with no quest direction whatsoever lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm glad that I started on HARD but the modifiers are sort of dumb. Repairing my weapons is way more of a nuisance than an interesting mechanic and I should've known that going in to it

That's only if you check Survival mode. I haven't played that but Hard isn't bad at all and doesn't have those mechanics (Survival was only added in a patch like last month I believe) it just means you have to stealth around a little more and use environmental stuff more often

edit: i'll probably do Survival for my NG+ though just to try it. Still not sure what carries over, I think you get all your fabrication blueprints and research but not your neuromods? Idk

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

You only keep neuromods, nothing else

Oh lol that's even more OP then , especially if you were to do all human in your second run and didn't have to research anything . Unfortunately i'm doing it the other way around but whatever

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Burnt Dick posted:

Anyone else find it funny that so many of the crew have lemon peels on them, and you always find them in bins or on desks etc? Everyone walking around Talos 1 like

I love finding all the baseballs signed by the same guy then finding out why they exist lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I like the "shuttle heading towards earth" sidequest that as far as I know has no effect on anything and just exists to gently caress with you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh poo poo speaking of Quakecon isn't the new Doom gameplay reveal today?

edit: it's Friday

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah other than Titanfall 2 I cant think of a better single player FPS this gen than Doom. Maybe that isn't saying much lol but really

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Titanfall is regularly under $10, definitely grab it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Magnus is back :worship:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol weird that they were like "ok we're gonna play faster and less shittily now" for the second clip. certainly looks better now tho

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lmao Dark Souls invasions???

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

is this where we were talking about titanfall 2 earlier? It's $6 on PS4 right now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

myDad posted:

thanks for this

Have fun. I'll probably rebuy it because I don't have my disc copy anymore, I had a great time playing with Imps when it launched and $6 is a stupid price. I don't know if anyone plays anymore but the MP is super cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Is this doom thread now?

I just picked up prey on sale and only got in to the office. How important is it do do all this crafting and finding secrets in this game? Am I going to miss lots of important stuff if I just follow the objective without searching for stuff all over the place? I don't have time to be very thorough and want to get through the story without gimping myself, but feel like I'm going to miss the majority of repair kits and neuromods, but am not sure how big of a deal that is. I'm playing on hard.

Also I don't care too much about spoilers, is there something I should be saving my kits for??

Saving repair kits for? No they're just for suit damage. Honestly though I played on hard and explored obsessively and still found the game pretty tough but I also intentionally gimped myself skill wise and I've heard a lot of stuff in the skill tree I avoided can trivialize combat . Don't be too intimidated by "all the crafting", it's more a way to turn resources you don't want into things you do want (mostly bullets and neuromods) and not like collecting bear skins for a Far Cry wallet upgrade or whatever. I don't know if you'll miss a ton of important stuff but a big part of the joy I got from the game was exploring and trying to sequence break and get into places I shouldn't be in yet, I don't think I would be as fond of it if I just followed the objective

edit: also you're just playing on hard not "hard survival" mode right? the latter adds a bunch of stuff like weapon breakage and injuries and stuff that doesn't sound very fun unless you like playing really really slowly and methodically

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

How are the environments? The dlc sounds cool but what makes games like prey and dishonored awesome are the intricately designed levels, and having a roguelike setup seems to run counter to that

I don't think the map changes at all but enemy and item locations are shuffled around and affect how you progress through it. Works more like a Link To The Past randomizer than a roguelike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

gently caress I still need to play D2 I never made it past the first real zone -- I have no idea why it didn't stick with me, i really appreciated the first game and the sequel seemed like nothing but improvements, I think I just wasn't in the mood for it when I picked it up. I also can't help but abuse quicksave in games that have it -- one of the things I appreciated about Prey was that if you gently caress up stealthing through something , going ahead and killing the aliens is pretty much resource-neutral (especially if you're specced to just beat things to death with a wrench) and gets you some of those juicy exotic materials so you can make more neuromods. In Dishonored if I get spotted it just feels bad and makes me want to instantly reload and so i never get anywhere

• Locked thread