Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Update: Episode 07 - Wave of Mutilation (11/08)

The Evil Within, known in Japan under the amazing title of Psycho Break, is a third-person survival horror shooter developed by Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda. It was released on basically every gaming platform that exists (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbone, PC) in October 2014.

The game centers on protagonist and extremely gorgeous detective Sebastian Castellanos as he is pulled through a distorted world full of nightmarish locations and monsters beyond your wildest imagination. He is confronted by Ruvik, the master of the strange nightmare he has been drawn into, and must find his way through this hell in a desperate struggle to survive. The game is directed by Shinji Mikami, creator of the Resident Evil series as well as the director of Resident Evil 4. You uh, might notice his influence here and there.

For the record, I did a let's play of this game a year or two ago because it's one of my favorite horror games of all time, which makes people give me strange looks or type "..." when I say it! In case you didn't understand the plot of the first game, or can't remember what happened, here is a video I made for the LP that clears absolutely everything up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzZowmDBOGo

Or rather, everything that can be cleared up. If you don't wanna play the first game for whatever reason, watching that video will tell you everything you need to know.

The first game features a side plot about Sebastian's family life before the events of the game, specifically how it fell apart due to his wife getting too close to discovering a shadowy organization's disturbing experiments. She was brainwashed into their fold and his daughter killed in a fire to keep him away from the truth... but come to find out, his daughter is actually alive. The Evil Within 2 sees Sebastian return to the twisted world of STEM to find his daughter and hopefully escape with his life. There is an entirely new cast of jerks out to take over the collective consciousness and really ruin Seb's day. In the process he will discover the truth about his family and STEM's new deranged inhabitants, as well as exploding the heads of approximately a billion zombie-like reanimated monsters with several sweet totally customizable firearms. Video games are cool like that.

This is going to be a fairly straightforward playthrough of the game wherein I show off every little bit it has to offer. I've spent a lot of time routing my way through the fancy new open world hubs so that there's as little backtracking and editing required as possible, to provide a smooth and non-frustrating viewing experience. I threw it in the oven at 300 for about an hour and after a couple minutes to let it cool, this LP was born. I'll let the game's atmosphere speak when I'm not speaking, and show you why I love this game and think it is a truly miraculous sequel.

Please don't. Like the first game, this one has a lot of fun surprises in store and it'll be a bit squandered if someone comes in stomping their feet and shouting I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO USE THE FLAMETHROWER ON THE ALIEN IN CHAPTER 14 or similar.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
reserved

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Home is where the heart is, I've been told.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Please don't take this the wrong way, CJacobs, but Nightmare is too hard for an LP? Didn't you stream this on Nightmare? I thought you chumped that game pretty hard on that setting. That said, I haven't played the game myself, so I don't really know how it's actually like. In any case though, it's great to see you LPing this!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This will be a ride and a half, CJacobs. I'm down for all the amazing idiocy we will see.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way, CJacobs, but Nightmare is too hard for an LP? Didn't you stream this on Nightmare? I thought you chumped that game pretty hard on that setting. That said, I haven't played the game myself, so I don't really know how it's actually like. In any case though, it's great to see you LPing this!

Oh, don't you worry. Survival gives me plenty of trouble in this LP! :downs:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I've been looking forward to this.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
Oh cool, you're finally doing this. I'm with you with this series being basically my favorite horror series.

Though Sebastian's new voice actor just doesn't fit him. Not to say he did a bad job of it, I think he did an excellent job, its just in the first game his voice was just grizzled and hard boiled, like you would expect a detective to have. When I first heard the new voice actor I just thought it was a massive deviation from the first game where I got used to the grizzled voice.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, sweet. I had no idea you were going to be doing this so quickly after you mentioned it in the Prey stream.

I really need to pick up this game at some point. I like the cut of its jib.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, let's see how the breaking mind machine goes. At least there's no one crazy guy in charge of the whole place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Razer K posted:

Oh cool, you're finally doing this. I'm with you with this series being basically my favorite horror series.

Though Sebastian's new voice actor just doesn't fit him. Not to say he did a bad job of it, I think he did an excellent job, its just in the first game his voice was just grizzled and hard boiled, like you would expect a detective to have. When I first heard the new voice actor I just thought it was a massive deviation from the first game where I got used to the grizzled voice.

New-Sebastian (Crystal Sebasti?) takes a little getting used to, but I like him a lot. He's got range™!

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i really like the framing of the painting of the door. the intro in general has some really good cinematography, like the reveal of baker's body in the time loop. it's also got a lot of good trippy visuals and impossible architectures, which is absolutely my jam. without dropping spoilers, i like to think the game keeps up having decent cinematography all the way through, mostly (though it's been a while since i've seen it in action and i've still not played it myself because i have too much on my plate as it is). whether or not it keeps up the trippy visuals and impossible architectures is a bit more up for debate.

also, lotsa good cjacobs noises! just what every good LP needs.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Love how the game starts out.

Angry Sebastian quickly becomes Angry Survival Sebastian. I also rather enjoy his banter with Kidman. :allears:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think the only weakness Evil Within 2 has is it lays a lot of what it is out on the table pretty early...we already know we're in an artificial world. By the end of Evil Within 1, Sebastian was so screwed up he wasn't even sure he was back in the real world. And unlike "The Assignment" our briefing was not, itself, spooky and weird. (Also wasn't the boss in "The Assignment" heavily implied to be imaginary all along? But now he's back. Whatever....)

It's weird that the villain's main henchmonster is so...happy. Like she's really jazzed up about slicing you apart. It's not that funny, lady!

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi

Speedball posted:

It's weird that the villain's main henchmonster is so...happy. Like she's really jazzed up about slicing you apart. It's not that funny, lady!
Well, I mean, its funny to her. She just has a really good time slicing protagonists up with her saw arm!

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Oh hey, I've been looking forward to this LP pretty much since this game was announced!

That serial killer dude actually has a real good eye for composition, although I'd probably enjoy his work significantly more if it involved significantly fewer murders. That huge floating corpse sculpture was pretty cool though.

Also, when Kidman said that there was someone inside STEM for Seb, she 100% meant Pepito, right?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Speedball posted:

I think the only weakness Evil Within 2 has is it lays a lot of what it is out on the table pretty early...we already know we're in an artificial world. By the end of Evil Within 1, Sebastian was so screwed up he wasn't even sure he was back in the real world. And unlike "The Assignment" our briefing was not, itself, spooky and weird. (Also wasn't the boss in "The Assignment" heavily implied to be imaginary all along? But now he's back. Whatever....)

It's never explicitly said but the Administrator from Kidman's DLC is hinted to be her subconscious fear of him and not the "real" guy from 2, that's why he doesn't seem bothered about being shot in the face.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, the beginning of The Assignment where Kidman's just walking around with the Administrator takes place in the real world. She doesn't end up in STEM until she hops in the chair and all the lights go out. It's the only part of the whole game that does except for the tiny tiny bit at the very end when Seb is stumbling away from the lighthouse!

edit: And an interesting similarity between The Assignment and The Evil Within 2 can be found at the very start of both. In The Evil Within, Seb gets knocked out by Ruvik very early on and for him that's the "transition" between what he thinks is the real world and STEM. But it isn't explained to him that he's inside STEM for a little while after, so he goes on thinking something has happened to the real world until Jimenez lays it all out for him. Here and in The Assignment, Seb and Kidman experienced no such lapse in consciousness, so it's easier to swallow going directly from one world to the other because they saw it happen.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 29, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Plus the transition is really, really abrupt in 2, which I like.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
This is a wonderful game and i foresee a wonderful LP, hoping to see a deep dive into what I missed in my own playthrough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, this was one of my favorite games of the last year. Basically my only complaint is that the story is a lot tamer and more grounded than 1, which on one hand makes it a lot more comprehensible, but also loses a lot of charm - it's become rather cliché and predictable.
Gameplay is top-notch, though; this is how you do Resident Evil.

edit: Also, would it be a spoiler to post the trailer for this game? That song cover is positively haunting.

edit2: Regarding the difficulty; I have beaten the game on Nightmare and it's honestly not that hard - the trouble is it would be boring to watch since everything takes forever and a half to kill and there is a lot more trial and error.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 29, 2018

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I for one am excited to see a competent LP of this game on these forums for a change.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Awww yeah, gonna be a lot of excited yelling by the end of this.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Loved your lp of the first game, and I am totally hyped for this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Also, the beginning of The Assignment where Kidman's just walking around with the Administrator takes place in the real world. She doesn't end up in STEM until she hops in the chair and all the lights go out. It's the only part of the whole game that does except for the tiny tiny bit at the very end when Seb is stumbling away from the lighthouse!

edit: And an interesting similarity between The Assignment and The Evil Within 2 can be found at the very start of both. In The Evil Within, Seb gets knocked out by Ruvik very early on and for him that's the "transition" between what he thinks is the real world and STEM. But it isn't explained to him that he's inside STEM for a little while after, so he goes on thinking something has happened to the real world until Jimenez lays it all out for him. Here and in The Assignment, Seb and Kidman experienced no such lapse in consciousness, so it's easier to swallow going directly from one world to the other because they saw it happen.

Ah, not quite, The Assignment starts off already in the car crash and then Kidman has a flashback to Mobius and her briefing, but the flashback is as seen through STEM: other people's faces are distorted, for example. It may have all been a false memory because much later we find a tape recording of someone else entirely giving Kidman her hypnosis/interrogation, a woman (Myra?). There was one hidden Ruvik file that referred to a "man from Mobius" but he might have been someone whose consciousness was lost in the system.

This is not to say that there really wasn't a real Administrator after all!

One of the neat things about the Assignment was that it wasn't just "another side of the story," we see that what Kidman saw was not what Sebastian saw at all. Reality was subjective.

I do like how Evil Within 2's Administrator still has that cool maze-mosaic behind him.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 29, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I passed on EW1 because I all heard was it that it was a mess of a game mechanics-wise, but I picked up and beat 2 during this Steam Summer Sale and this really is a drat fine game that plays real well.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dscruffy1 posted:

I for one am excited to see a competent LP of this game on these forums for a change.

I see what you did there...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm pretty sure you inspired CJ to even do this, Scruffy. But your nervous laugh whenever things got weird was too good.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

dscruffy1 posted:

I see wh

Scaramouche posted:

I see what you did there...

God drat it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dscruffy1 posted:

Hey listen, there are varying levels of competence just like anything else in this world that varies in level! :v:

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I've been told that home is where the heart is, so your real home is in your chest. Excited to see where this LP goes! You've definitely been one of the loudest supporters for this game, so I'm looking forward to this!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Basically my only complaint is that the story is a lot tamer and more grounded than 1

Did we even play the same game

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Treuan posted:

I've been told that home is where the heart is, so your real home is in your chest.

Home is in your ribcage! Things live there. You wouldn't like them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just want to say the youtube comment about your style being "insulting to the viewer" was extremely lol.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm sorry for being so insulting! I will try to insult you all less in the coming episodes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Literally start the next video with "Hey everyone, welcome back to The Evil Within 2. [Youtube commenter], go gently caress yourself."

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marshmallow creep posted:

I just want to say the youtube comment about your style being "insulting to the viewer" was extremely lol.

Imagine actually reading a youtube comment

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

It also has one like somehow. I don't know who's more pathetic- the guy who made that comment or the guy who gave it a thumbs-up. Wouldn't be surprised if they were the same person-Youtube lets you like your own comments for some inane reason.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Time to stop lying to myself about how I'm definitely going to play this game any time soon and just watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

CJacobs posted:

I'm sorry for being so insulting! I will try to insult you all less in the coming episodes.

If this LP doesn't involve you calling us all God drat Prairie Dog Sons of Bitches, I'm going to be terribly upset.