Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just finished TEW2 myself last week and while overall I liked it I think it's weaker in every regard to the first. Combat is tighter and it's more consistent, but it lacks the variety and attention to detail on the first. I don't want to knock it too hard but TEW1 just really surprised me for being different every chapter. It had some fun level design that maintained the RE4 sensibility of being linear but with multiple split paths so you could take the high ground or low and there was advantages/disadvantages for it. And the environmental hazards probably threw off a lot of people but I loved the spinning blades carousel room, or the water monster segment where you're distracting it with bodies, or Oda losing his loving glasses while a monster dog patrols the area.

Really missed moments like that in the sequel and the brief bits with Obscura and Anima just didn't cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

CJacobs posted:

I'm sorry for being so insulting! I will try to insult you all less in the coming episodes.

honestly you're not insulting me enough. i just can't derive entertainment from lps anymore unless the lper calls me a loving nerd then beats me up and takes my lunch money.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Azure Dreamer posted:

honestly you're not insulting me enough. i just can't derive entertainment from lps anymore unless the lper calls me a loving nerd then beats me up and takes my lunch money.

Is that the level before or after when you need the LPer to whip you and tell you you're a bad [person]?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

al-azad posted:

I just finished TEW2 myself last week and while overall I liked it I think it's weaker in every regard to the first. Combat is tighter and it's more consistent, but it lacks the variety and attention to detail on the first. I don't want to knock it too hard but TEW1 just really surprised me for being different every chapter. It had some fun level design that maintained the RE4 sensibility of being linear but with multiple split paths so you could take the high ground or low and there was advantages/disadvantages for it. And the environmental hazards probably threw off a lot of people but I loved the spinning blades carousel room, or the water monster segment where you're distracting it with bodies, or Oda losing his loving glasses while a monster dog patrols the area.

Really missed moments like that in the sequel and the brief bits with Obscura and Anima just didn't cut it.

I actually agree in that I liked the first game's utter inconsistency a little better than the second came's mostly-consistency lol. That said, I like the second game much better overall. But we have like 30 episodes to go so there's ample time to talk about the differences between the two games in depth.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was curious about something before I get this game myself: how skippable are the cutscenes?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Very! But don't skip them because they're good.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

For the record, I did a let's play of this game a year or two ago because it's one of my favorite horror games of all time, which makes people give me strange looks or type "..." when I say it! In case you didn't understand the plot of the first game, or can't remember what happened, here is a video I made for the LP that clears absolutely everything up:

(snip)

Yeah, I'm afraid "..." is still my reaction to that. I didn't like The Evil Within very much. I didn't exactly hate it either, to be fair; it was just really average. The Evil Within is basically Resident Evil 4 but with all the fun, self-awareness and subtlety leeched out by the modern AAA video-game sausage factory.

You may be thinking "wait, did he just call Resident Evil 4 subtle? Resident Evil 4, a game in which you suplex crazy-eyed not-Spanish tentacle-zombies in medieval monk robes, and at one point have to flee a giant mechanised midget-zombie-napoleon statue?".

Yeah, you heard me. :colbert:

The Evil Within is also a game that didn't actually tell its story unless you played the DLC - which I didn't, because I didn't enjoy the main game enough to care about it. I appreciate the video you made explaining the story, but it's telling that it's something the game needed.

Since my reaction to the first game was just kind of a shrug, I haven't played the second. I did watch the stream you did of it a little while ago, though. It seems a little improved, I guess? Still mostly just more of the same, though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Antistar01 posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid "..." is still my reaction to that. I didn't like The Evil Within very much. I didn't exactly hate it either, to be fair; it was just really average. The Evil Within is basically Resident Evil 4 but with all the fun, self-awareness and subtlety leeched out by the modern AAA video-game sausage factory.

You may be thinking "wait, did he just call Resident Evil 4 subtle? Resident Evil 4, a game in which you suplex crazy-eyed not-Spanish tentacle-zombies in medieval monk robes, and at one point have to flee a giant mechanised midget-zombie-napoleon statue?".

Yeah, you heard me. :colbert:

The Evil Within is also a game that didn't actually tell its story unless you played the DLC - which I didn't, because I didn't enjoy the main game enough to care about it. I appreciate the video you made explaining the story, but it's telling that it's something the game needed.

Since my reaction to the first game was just kind of a shrug, I haven't played the second. I did watch the stream you did of it a little while ago, though. It seems a little improved, I guess? Still mostly just more of the same, though.

If you're gonna be this much of a Negative Nancy for the entire thread, I suggest you stop now.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VolticSurge posted:

If you're gonna be this much of a Negative Nancy for the entire thread, I suggest you stop now.

God forbid anyone get into their problems with the first game in the context of a discussion of whether the first game is good. C'mon dude, don't be a cop.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

or the water monster segment where you're distracting it with bodies, or Oda losing his loving glasses while a monster dog patrols the area.

For my two cents the sequel is better overall, but its highs never quite reach the heights that the first game did, while its poo poo parts are never as irritating as the first game (hello, keeper fight! hello, endless sewers!)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

I'm not sorry for my opinions on the first game, but I think that'll only be relevant near the start of this thread, so you don't need to worry about me harping on about it or anything.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

God forbid anyone get into their problems with the first game in the context of a discussion of whether the first game is good. C'mon dude, don't be a cop.

I didn't realize I wan't allowed to disagree with people. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

VolticSurge posted:

I didn't realize I wan't allowed to disagree with people. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

If you had actually just disagreed with the poster instead of basically saying :getout: it wouldn't be an issue. One guy making one post about how the first game has problems and how that affects perceptions of the sequel is not that big a deal. Ease up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On topic, I bought the first game at launch and had an experience I summed up in the first thread as "whiplash" that left me unsatisfied. The game did too good a job at making me feel uncomfortable in some cases, and in others just felt badly designed. I sold it, but CJacob's LP almost made me buy it back because it helped me remember what was fun about it! If I had more disposable income, I might have done just that.

Is there any indication they are doing a DLC for Evil Within 2? It's been so long since launch that I'm guessing the answer is "no." Would that mean they never meant to make one or did it not sell enough to justify the support?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno, I think The Evil Within 1 lays its plot out pretty well. Jimenez directly explains to you what STEM is and what it does, and how that affects what people inside it see, pretty early on in the game. From there it's just a matter of "We have to find Leslie so we can use him to escape", until that doesn't end up working because Ruvik is too powerful, so then the goal becomes "find another way out" which Kidman clearly is aware of because she's a double agent. The MOBIUS plotline bumps its way into the main story at the end but it's there in the background the whole time through the latter half of Seb's diary entries and his wife's disappearance and such. Like, you really learn everything you need to know about MOBIUS in the final few minutes of the game where they show up: They're powerful, mysterious, and can get the hell out of dodge and leave no evidence in a real hurry. The DLCs definitely lay it out all nice and clean for you though which is much appreciated.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 3, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

On topic, I bought the first game at launch and had an experience I summed up in the first thread as "whiplash" that left me unsatisfied. The game did too good a job at making me feel uncomfortable in some cases, and in others just felt badly designed. I sold it, but CJacob's LP almost made me buy it back because it helped me remember what was fun about it! If I had more disposable income, I might have done just that.

Is there any indication they are doing a DLC for Evil Within 2? It's been so long since launch that I'm guessing the answer is "no." Would that mean they never meant to make one or did it not sell enough to justify the support?

Well, the game never had a Season Pass unlike the first one, which means DLC probably wasn't/isn't planned.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And yeah, this game has one crazy ultra major The Assignment-style DLC hook which we are not going to see for a very long time so nobody here better spoil it, but it doesn't seem like they have anything more planned for The Evil Within 2 as such. The game's been out since October of last year, and by this point in the first game's life cycle The Assignment had already been released!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Yes. I can think of at least one major plot hook that never gets any payoff, and doesn't look like it will. It's terrible.

e: I guess technically it's optional to find it but come the gently caress on, Tango, I need this.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i dunno man, i didn't really have any problems following the plot of TEW1. it was a surrealistic nightmare, but everything you need to know is there. 's just you might need to pay the game a few times to pick up on all the plot threads.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I get the feeling that they're probably just going to go straight to a third and final game, because there is room for one more narrativewise.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 4, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Talking about the ending before the second video is even posted has gotta be a new record!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Please don't. Like the first game, this one has a lot of fun surprises in store and it'll be a bit squandered if someone comes in stomping their feet and shouting I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO USE THE FLAMETHROWER ON THE ALIEN IN CHAPTER 14 or similar.

I'd suggest editing that spoiler out, friendo.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 4, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Talking about the ending before the second video is even posted has gotta be a new record!
Sorry, fixed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks!

VolticSurge posted:

I'd suggest editing that spoiler out, friendo.

Now it's your turn! :v:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Azure Dreamer posted:

i dunno man, i didn't really have any problems following the plot of TEW1. it was a surrealistic nightmare, but everything you need to know is there. 's just you might need to pay the game a few times to pick up on all the plot threads.
Hell, I never played the game or knew much of it at all, but a single watch of CJacobs' main game run, before the lore video, before the DLC runs, was enough to come up with the main "look, the man's just really stubborn alright?" and so on reading.
Granted, the LP format and CJacobs' specific presentation helps, but it really is all there. Just gotta let it cook.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sebastian is also much more of a Sad Dad in this game than the previous one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is there going to be a possessed monster truck fight in this game?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Man, I can't wait for the episode where Sebastian finds the true meaning of Christmas and sings a song about love and friendship with all the assorted monsters dressed as sugar plums and candycanes!

... Which is gonna happen, right? ...Right?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Say, CJacobs, did you take down your TEW2 streams or something? I'm looking to refresh my memory over the weekend (also there are a few bits I'd like to rewatch), and I can't seem to find them on your channel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Say, CJacobs, did you take down your TEW2 streams or something? I'm looking to refresh my memory over the weekend (also there are a few bits I'd like to rewatch), and I can't seem to find them on your channel.

I did, sorry! They'll be coming back alongside the LP as it develops.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 4, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

White Coke posted:

Is there going to be a possessed monster truck fight in this game?

There is no way that TEW2 can end as crazily as the Alan Wake DLC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

If God's on the left, then I'm sticking to the right.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
drat it Seb, where did all your green gel from the last game go? You had so much of the stuff. You could've been an uber protagonist right out the gate!

Speaking of upgrade materials, I never found out if there was a finite amount of stuff you could upgrade your guns and yourself with. It may be because I haven't played this game in half a year, but I cannot remember if you could max all the upgrade paths in a single play through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Enemies and loot items don't respawn so there is a finite amount of gel and resources sittin' around, but there are certain points in the story where all the enemies 'refresh' sorta, if you know what I mean, so you get a couple chances to get gel from them. If you exploit that by killing your way through the hubs each time you probably can upgrade everything in a single playthrough, yeah. But imo it's not really worth the extra hassle unless you really wanna make your Seb into Batman.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Okay, the nurse is back. Given that Mobias didn't mention her, it seems like she is some part of Sebastian's influence on STEM.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The brain goop is probably subconscious stuff Sebastian brought with him as well.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJacobs posted:

Enemies and loot items don't respawn so there is a finite amount of gel and resources sittin' around, but there are certain points in the story where all the enemies 'refresh' sorta, if you know what I mean, so you get a couple chances to get gel from them. If you exploit that by killing your way through the hubs each time you probably can upgrade everything in a single playthrough, yeah. But imo it's not really worth the extra hassle unless you really wanna make your Seb into Batman.

But why wouldn’t you want to make your Sebastian into Sebatman.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

grandalt posted:

Okay, the nurse is back. Given that Mobias didn't mention her, it seems like she is some part of Sebastian's influence on STEM.

She may be the someone that Kidman mentioned 'being there' for Seb in STEM.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The someone is actually Pepito, she was talking directly to me recording the lp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

1) If it's not too much of a spoiler, there are enough resources to at least mostly upgrade everything by game's end, if you're really diligent.

2) I think Tatiana is actually native to Sebastian's subconscious. I mean, she only exists in Sebastian's Room, and that's been declared by Kidman to be something they don't make. I imagine that STEM is programmed to have something like her and the horrorshow trepanation machine in other Rooms, but the details of what things look like and how they act are left to the subject. Personal theory. Of course, that begs the question of why in the name of Wojtek's favourite lager Sebastian associates self-improvement with a sanitarium the design of which would give Kevorkian multiple orgasms.