Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lazy Bear posted:

1) If it's not too much of a spoiler, there are enough resources to at least mostly upgrade everything by game's end, if you're really diligent.

2) I think Tatiana is actually native to Sebastian's subconscious. I mean, she only exists in Sebastian's Room, and that's been declared by Kidman to be something they don't make. I imagine that STEM is programmed to have something like her and the horrorshow trepanation machine in other Rooms, but the details of what things look like and how they act are left to the subject. Personal theory. Of course, that begs the question of why in the name of Wojtek's favourite lager Sebastian associates self-improvement with a sanitarium the design of which would give Kevorkian multiple orgasms.

It is worth noting that we've seen Tatiana outside of STEM, she's in the background in the ending of the first game. Of course, perhaps there are differences to be noted between the original Tatiana and the slightly more smarmy one we will soon come to know. I advise you folks watching the LP as it develops to keep an eye on her head next time she turns around because there is something slightly different about her this time around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Technowolf posted:

She may be the someone that Kidman mentioned 'being there' for Seb in STEM.

I'm pretty sure that is an unspecified plot point but gently caress do I know with this game and its shenanigans.

Tatiana is an interesting character, and if they make a third game I want to know more about her deal. Perhaps she's the final boss of the franchise!?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
"You can't outrun your past"? Hardly. Every day is leg day when you run from your problems. Just look at how much more stamina Sebastian has in this game compared to the first.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

I did, sorry! They'll be coming back alongside the LP as it develops.

Hey, no worries! I'm just glad I haven't gone mad or blind :v:

Lazy Bear posted:

I think Tatiana is actually native to Sebastian's subconscious. I mean, she only exists in Sebastian's Room, and that's been declared by Kidman to be something they don't make... Of course, that begs the question of why in the name of Wojtek's favourite lager Sebastian associates self-improvement with a sanitarium the design of which would give Kevorkian multiple orgasms.

CJacobs posted:

It is worth noting that we've seen Tatiana outside of STEM, she's in the background in the ending of the first game.

I always assumed Tatiana was the nurse who was monitoring Sebastian the most back in the first game, and her voice being so constantly nearby imprinted her into Seb's subconscious, like some form of subliminal messaging. Being locked in Ruvik's hellscape would have been uncomfortable, to say the least, and hearing a voice talk in such calm, clinical tones, even if she was just reading out computer screen results, would have been a little stabilizing, at least, and something he'd of course bring into Union whether he wanted to or not.

EDIT: As for why it looks like a mental asylum, I think in the first game that's both Ruvik and Jiminez's memories bleeding into Sebastian's, and it's just luggage that Seb brought into his second Room. Really says something that deep down, he thinks the torture chair and dank room are actually comforting.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 5, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sequence of events is also the same as the first game. Tatiana leads Seb to an inconspicuous looking chair, he takes a seat in it without being forced to, suddenly it transforms into a hellchair and he's like OH NO but then she reassures him that it's for upgrading his brain with goop and he settles down. Sarcastic remarks ensue.

For reference, here's Tatiana's entry in the first game's model viewer, which pretty much definitively tells us know where the real person came from in correspondence with her missing persons poster from the end of the game. From there however it seems she's taken on a life of her own- the question is, how much of a life of her own!

edit: Also, notice that we didn't have to spend a cursory amount of gel to unlock the upgrade system in this one. In the first game you have to dump a hundred gel or whatever it is in order to even unlock the upgrade tree as your introduction to spending the gel, but we don't need to do that here because Seb is already bonkers already accustomed to STEM dickery.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 5, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, I never got a chance to mention this in the first game's LP so at some point I'll do it in this one, but for the thread: I've been calling Kidman's black cat Pepito because of its resemblance to Twitter superstar Pepito The Cat, red collar included. Its real name is Kuromi. Interestingly, the name Kuromi is a combination of 黒 meaning "black" combined with 見 meaning "to see", which is a pretty funny coincidence given, y'know...

It has an actor page on IMDB, meaning there was cat motion capture and voice acting done for this game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 5, 2018

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Wow Seb, who would have thought that the system Ruvik built a massive backdoor into would have hidden features! It's almost like someone wanted to ensure that people with certain brainwave patterns would have more control over the system than others!

Honestly though, it's just as well that Sebastien is kind of an idiot: a smart person would probably find it hard to function after discovering the whole "a shadowy cabal probably runs the government and can forcibly enter people's brains" thing, and might also be slightly worried that Ruvik might have hitched a brain-ride after leaving Beacon.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
It rules, really- the setting and the characters. Sebastian rules, the STEM system rules, and the fact the Sebastian doesn't really understand all this STEM hoo-ha rules... and what rules even more is that this is to Sebs detriment and advantage.

Can't really say more at the moment, as he, like we, are still figuring things out, but it's still great and I like it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

thetruegentleman posted:

Wow Seb, who would have thought that the system Ruvik built a massive backdoor into would have hidden features! It's almost like someone wanted to ensure that people with certain brainwave patterns would have more control over the system than others!

Honestly though, it's just as well that Sebastien is kind of an idiot: a smart person would probably find it hard to function after discovering the whole "a shadowy cabal probably runs the government and can forcibly enter people's brains" thing, and might also be slightly worried that Ruvik might have hitched a brain-ride after leaving Beacon.

I assume that's why he was Max Payneing in the beginning of the game. His kid died before the first game started, so I assume he's done with the first part of grief. He's drinking to forget.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wouldn't call Sebastian 'dumb', per se; he IS a detective, after all. But he IS straightforward (which again, would help him in his detective work)- the world operates according to certain laws, and he expects it to follow those laws all the time, even in a nightmare hellscape formed from the collective minds of people ranging from innocents to psychos, which was developed by a joint combo of a murderous lunatic and amoral headcase doctor.

I mean, just see how Sebastian adapts to Union- he finds guns, he strengthens his 'physical' abilities, builds up a map of the world, because that's how he thinks the world works. If he was a little more of a lateral thinker, a little more creative and a little less of a straight arrow, he too would be teleporting around the place and shooting fireballs from his eyes. But that's not how the world works- as far as Sebastian sees it, hard work and training brings results, that's how it goes, and that's how it WILL go. And do you know how else things go? The cop always catches the bad guy in the end.

The great part is that I don't even think Sebastian is consciously aware that he's doing this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I agree with CommissarMega, and also would propose that the first game ending proves that Sebastian can control STEM systems to an extent, it's just his methods aren't ridiculous nonsense powers but simply guns and such being available when he needs them.

Also, his literal gun wizardry to load more than 6 rounds in a 6shot revolver.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, note my wording in the Evil Within 1 story refresher video. Sebastian's not exactly dumb, he's just got a real thick skull. He is a very goal oriented person. I need to find a way out of STEM -> Leslie is the way out of STEM, find Leslie -> Joseph suggests going back to Beacon so go there now -> Kidman shot Joseph and is now pointing a gun at me so do not believe a word she says -> Ruvik and I are the only people left and boy I could really use a rocket launcher right now.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
honestly there's a lot of points in both evil within games where sebastian could really use a rocket launcher.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Yeah I'm just going to have to give up on not repeating everything I said in scruffy's thread, huh?

CommissarMega posted:

I mean, just see how Sebastian adapts to Union- he finds guns, he strengthens his 'physical' abilities, builds up a map of the world, because that's how he thinks the world works. If he was a little more of a lateral thinker, a little more creative and a little less of a straight arrow, he too would be teleporting around the place and shooting fireballs from his eyes. But that's not how the world works- as far as Sebastian sees it, hard work and training brings results, that's how it goes, and that's how it WILL go. And do you know how else things go? The cop always catches the bad guy in the end.
Also, while Beacon was built by someone who worked within the abstract, Union is built by a bunch of literalists, for use by even more literalists. People just like Sebastian! The guns are not simply pulled in from peoples' memories of what they look like and how they work, they're programmed and rendered by Mobius for Mobius, including the tools and parts for upgrading, so they can have consistent and reliable results, and not waste time making a team of tactical operators sit around staring at their rifles concentrating real hard, "I KNOW THIS CAN HAVE MORE BULLETS IN IT HRRRRRNNNN." The world map is possible because Mobius mapped out the world down to every little detail. Union isn't a prolapsed version of a real place the way Beacon's Krimson City was, Union doesn't even exist outside of STEM. And while we're seeing some ominous rumbling, the place isn't instantly eversing onto itself like Beacon. They even have cool radios for talking and tracking and all sorts of poo poo.

This place is made for Sebastian. And that's advantageous. But it's not enough. That guard outside was probably extensively trained and we've seen he's a good shot with his assault rifle and c-clamp firing technique, but where is he now? Horizontal on the pavement, getting his guts eaten. The situation at hand calls for more. This needs Beacon. Sebastian needs Beacon*, even though he's tried to bury it under three years of PTSD and alcohol.

*Also a rocket launcher. That would be nice too.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Azure Dreamer posted:

honestly there's a lot of points in both evil within games where sebastian could really use a rocket launcher.

actually i'm going to rephrase this. there's maybe like three points in both evil within games where sebastian wouldn't be better off with a rocket launcher.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fish Noise posted:

making a team of tactical operators sit around staring at their rifles concentrating real hard, "I KNOW THIS CAN HAVE MORE BULLETS IN IT HRRRRRNNNN."

This is an absolutely delightful image

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Crane Fist posted:

This is an absolutely delightful image
You know all three gun guys on the Search Team would be totally into it. Meanwhile, O'Neal's glancing around awkwardly looking at his sidearm, "be... more gun? ehhhhhh?"

I suddenly want some sort of Mobius Ops co-op game where you play the Search Team in the failed pre-Union STEMs that O'Neal mentioned.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Fish Noise posted:

...making a team of tactical operators sit around staring at their rifles concentrating real hard, "I KNOW THIS CAN HAVE MORE BULLETS IN IT HRRRRRNNNN."

Do you want Warhammer 40K Orks? Because that's how your get Orks!

"NEEDS MORE DAKKA! WAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fish Noise posted:

You know all three gun guys on the Search Team would be totally into it. Meanwhile, O'Neal's glancing around awkwardly looking at his sidearm, "be... more gun? ehhhhhh?"

I suddenly want some sort of Mobius Ops co-op game where you play the Search Team in the failed pre-Union STEMs that O'Neal mentioned.

There need to be more games where you play as the normally failed, lovely survival horror mooks and have to work together to not gently caress up for once.

Operation Raccoon City does not count because it was terrible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Spotlight was kind of a great villain monster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Don't try to push your luck, just get out of my way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 12, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Awww, yeah, the crossbow is back.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
Wow, these episodes go fast. There is just a lot of game here. Like, you can go try to go to the main objective right off the bat, but if you take your time to do everything, the game can take a while.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Within 2 isn't exactly what I would call "open world" so much as... "open neighborhood?" Like the original Silent Hill. Pretty big area to explore but not ridiculous.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It helps keep it more focused. And Sebastian doesn't seem like the guy to poke around bushes for hours to try and find a single handgun bullet. He's got a daughter to find, dangit.

I don't really understand why there are so many normal corpses around. Was Union populated inside STEM? Why?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Yeah, they populated the hell out of it! A holy grail technology that can attain Mobius' long-term objectives, and they used it to make a nice little town called Union where its test subjectscitizens are calm and relaxed.

:v: What would be more horrifying:
1. That there's more to Mobius' endgame?
2. That this is Mobius' endgame?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bony tony posted:

I don't really understand why there are so many normal corpses around. Was Union populated inside STEM? Why?

We're going to learn why this is in the next video, I believe. But to quell your headscratching for now with a hint in case it takes longer than I thought: The human mind sure does have a lotta space for remembering stuff, doesn't it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You know I'm such a fool for you... You've got me wrapped around your finger.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Well, that got a little Alan Wake there for a minute.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Welp, this is where I start Sebastian/Alan Wake fanfic, I guess.

Also, just loving lol at that truck you skipped. I remember that from your streams! :allears:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey I forgot about this

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but while watching your LP of the first game, because I wanted to finish it before starting in on this one, I discovered that the first video of The Executioner dlc is completely muted, is there any way to watch it with sound?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately no. I appealed the copyright claims successfully but YouTube bugged out somewhere along the line and didn't restore the audio after removing the claim. So the video no longer has audio at all throughout even though there are no claims on it anymore. I hate YouTube so much dude you don't even know, they suck so bad

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

CommissarMega posted:

Also, just loving lol at that truck you skipped. I remember that from your streams! :allears:
How did that go down?

CJacobs posted:

Unfortunately no. I appealed the copyright claims successfully but YouTube bugged out somewhere along the line and didn't restore the audio after removing the claim. So the video no longer has audio at all throughout even though there are no claims on it anymore. I hate YouTube so much dude you don't even know, they suck so bad
:eyepoop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yeah it sucks, there's really nothing I can do short of re-recording the video entirely.

Fish Noise posted:

How did that go down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP84UcgkkMo

Exactly as you'd expect. :downs:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

5 enemies seems pretty mean at that point in the game but I guess it is an incredibly obvious trap. At least it isn't some kind of mandatory damage?

There's a lot more interiors and underground tunnels and things then I was expecting there to be in this game. It's like a really condensed version of the your Fallout/Elder Scrolls map where you can just pick a direction and find something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you combine trip wires to set off a chain reaction?

CJacobs posted:

If Youtube really has it out for you, they can terminate your account instantly and remove all your videos and comments you ever made, including your subscriptions, over a years old video that someone decided was too violent and veiled hate speech in a video game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you combine trip wires to set off a chain reaction?

Yes. Just like the first game, explosive bolts chain together, so you can stick a bunch of them near each other and they'll set one another off when the first gets triggered. You can combine the non-tripwire floor explosives with the wall tripwire ones to make a trap that can kill strong enemies basically instantly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heads up, there's spoilers in the sidebar for the latest episode so don't look at the related videos if you're watching this blind, as usual. I'm working with my website developer on getting a polsy-esque webpage up on cjacobs.us so I can link videos to that page instead, which will remove your need to even go to YouTube's main site at all and avoid that nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Well, at least you didn't panic-climb into the truck?