Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

This is funny as is, but it's even better thinking about Sebastian yelling to Kidman "HELP I OPENED A SHAKING TRUCK AND IT JUST HAD A BUNCH OF HAUNTED INSTEAD OF GUNS," and she just puts the receiver down on her desk and rubs her temples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I DONE GOOFED, KIDMAN! GODDAMMIT!

Does time go at the same pace inside STEM as outside?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the character's comments implies that it actually seems like more time passed outside than it inside, at least for him.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

bony tony posted:

I DONE GOOFED, KIDMAN! GODDAMMIT!

Does time go at the same pace inside STEM as outside?

At the end of the Consequence DLC in the previous game, it's revealed that the entire game only took 37 minutes outside of STEM so time is... weird, to say the least.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe it would be controlled by the Dreamer, like everything else. STEM could make for a good prison system, spend twenty years inside and come out the same day you went in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ah yes, future dream jail, aka the Hyperbolic Crime Chamber

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
The High Bubonic Lion Tamer

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

bony tony posted:

Maybe it would be controlled by the Dreamer, like everything else. STEM could make for a good prison system, spend twenty years inside and come out the same day you went in.

Brilliant idea, let's stick a bunch of criminals into the place formed by the psyches of the inhabitants. Have you considered a career at Mobius?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

klafbang posted:

Brilliant idea, let's stick a bunch of criminals into the place formed by the psyches of the inhabitants. Have you considered a career at Mobius?

It's all fun and games until Mr. 'I'm gonna murder you and then stick your body into a time loop as an art piece' shows up.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

marshmallow creep posted:

One of the character's comments implies that it actually seems like more time passed outside than it inside, at least for him.

Eopia posted:

At the end of the Consequence DLC in the previous game, it's revealed that the entire game only took 37 minutes outside of STEM so time is... weird, to say the least.
AND Sebastian has real-time calls with Kidman. Wonky stuff, indeed.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Maybe for Kidman every call from Sebastian is happening one right after the other

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe for Kidman every call from Sebastian is happening one right after the other

She has to partially plug her own brain into Stem to communicate with him, right? Like Appolonia in "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank."

Oh god, I just compared Overdrawn to Evil Within 2....

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

She has to partially plug her own brain into Stem to communicate with him, right? Like Appolonia in "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank."

Oh god, I just compared Overdrawn to Evil Within 2....

Well now I want to hear Sebastian say "Streduelganger"

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Ah yes, future dream jail, aka the Hyperbolic Crime Chamber

Nobody has acknowledged this terrible joke. It's terrible. Bravo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My Beacon's been moved under moon and star. Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Well, that was a trip...

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, yeah. *licks lips* That's the stuff. Now, were coming to what makes this game really special.

What happened there? Not telling you yet... but this is a good opportunity to get familar with the last game if you haven't yet!

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
:911:

Things are getting intense!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
How could Beacon be back? It isn't like we built this tech from a crazy person who can literally brain-hop using our- OH WAIT.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

what happens when the past doesn't want to let you go?
The past is gonna have to learn that it's no big loss and move on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fate, up against your will, through the thick and thin.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I do like the look of the hair-floating-as-if-underwater ghost. I mean, I wish she was handled with a little more subtlety (as I do with everything else in The Evil Within, games that are about as subtle as a sledgehammer in a butcher's shop), but still, she's nicely creepy.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

CJacobs posted:

Next time we take the fight to City Hall.

But CJ, you can't fight City Hall!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
If you could teleport everywhere and take sick murder pictures with a murder flourish, you totally would.

Lazy Bear posted:

But CJ, you can't fight City Hall!

You can't fight Mobius America, they are up and we are down.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just realized this is the gory version of that mailman level from Psychonauts.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I feel like I've yelled about Ruvik and the photographer basically being Psychonauts a lot before. Probably in CJacobs stream chat.

Although, with STEM being a technological system and the... exploratory violence they do to the collective mindscape, perhaps Cognisector is a more evocative title.

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009
CJacobs why does youtube hate a cool guy like you so much? Now ep4 is blocked in my country. Does it have a random song in it that plays for too long?

Your first stream of this game got me to buy it too, and i love it. So i thought fun! an lp lets watch this its been a while. Urg.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahh god dammit, they changed the severity of the copyright claim on episode 4 (which features 'Linger' by The Cranberries). It used to just be no monetization with forced ads but they changed it to be blocked worldwide because they're assholes. Sorry. I'll fix it tonight, don't worry.

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Ahh god dammit, they changed the severity of the copyright claim on episode 4 (which features 'Linger' by The Cranberries). It used to just be no monetization with forced ads but they changed it to be blocked worldwide because they're assholes. Sorry. I'll fix it tonight, don't worry.

No worries mate it,s not your fault the whole claim system is crap.

From the first 3 eps i was really reminded how much was improved in 2. The semi open bits makes it feel kinda like Dead space, minus the stealth kills.
Kinda wierd that it feels like 1 got a lot of dlc and 2 none. Did it not do well sales wise? It got a bunch of accolades if the steam page is to be believed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The video should be back up now as the claim is in dispute, which unblocks any blocked video while it is in progress. Thanks for letting me know, YouTube doesn't notify you when you get a copyright notice or when a notice changes states because they're truly heinous, so I had no way to know it happened myself.

For the record, the claim isn't even for the right song. I don't know what the Dave Bascombe Mix version is or where it comes from (I listened and it's very different than the song's real mixing), but this isn't it. If the dispute is shot down in spite of this fact (and it is a fact) I'll spend some time figuring out how to get around it and reupload the video.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 24, 2018

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

There's one thing I'm seeing in watching this, and I'm surprised a game with as much focus on stealth as this one has. The canned animation "pops" when moving from "stealthy, sneaky" moves to certain "non-stealth" things is disappointing. Sneaking around a cabin or a creepy hospital, all good. Stealthily opening a door slowly and quietly so as not to draw attention to yourself, cool. Opening a drawer from a waist high nightstand? gently caress no! You can't look down into something like that from crouch height! Are you mad? Using a card reader on an electronic lock that is at crouched eye height? Bitch, these knees are spring loaded and interacting with card keys sets them off.

Also, it appears to take you completely out of stealth, so it's not just flicking stealth mode off and on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Seb only being able to do certain things while crouching is why I got blown to hell by the tripwire bomb a few episodes ago. The guy just likes to be standing when he does important stuff I guess! :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gives me THI4F flashbacks, I tell you what

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwIGc-nXps

Comprehensive coverage. Cohesive commentary. Impossible Difficulty. All in 4K. This winter, we will all be made whole.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You think I'm dead, but I sail away.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I love that shooting gallery- it's really obvious that the dev team had fun working on this game :allears: Also, re: that amnesiac lady, I remember you struggling to get the ammo behind her before you talked to her a second time.

Anyway, is it ever explained what/who the ghost lady is? If it's explained in your streams, then I must've forgot, sorry :shobon:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

CommissarMega posted:

Anyway, is it ever explained what/who the ghost lady is? If it's explained in your streams, then I must've forgot, sorry :shobon:

It's somewhat touched on later on in the game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RE: The aiming. The game probably spawns the bullet/hitscan ray from the model, and due to the over the shoulder perspective that line isnt exactly straight ahead with regards to the players view. It happens in other over the shoulder aim games. What may also mess with this is anti-clipping code that moves around the models so they avoid clipping into other models and walls which would move your gun and thus mess up your aim.

To counteract this some games have the reticle move towards the player when the default location of it doesnt line up with a target thats too close.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 9, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me wonders what a deadly gas leak is even supposed to be a brain space manifestation of. Like I can justify death and injury in the same way The Matrix and countless other things did but gas? In an area purposely built to exist somewhat outside the true simulation?

Then the other part of me that can manifest brain space guns and doesn't question things shoots it for asking stupid questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Like Sebastian, Mobius are literalists. The mindscape they have created is mundane rather than fantastical, where infrastructure is rendered and realized according to physics as everyone more or less knows them (and we've just seen that Mobius has been doing something to their test subjects to further normalize them, likely making them even more fragile than normal). When something breaks, their response is to enforce normality, so their operatives use concrete, transferrable real-world skills - walking around, using access points and armories, picking up and shooting guns - rather than trying to train everyone for abstract mind wizardry like manifesting weapons and teleporting at will (which would probably break the simulation even more, assuming the training even works and in a consistent manner in the first place - people are more like Sebastian than they are like Ruvik).