Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

In the words of the official website, A Hat in Time is "a cute as heck 3d platformer." We play as a small girl named Hat Kid, and our spaceship runs out of fuel over top of a very strange planet. So we need to collect more fuel by running and jumping and smacking the Mafia upside the head with our umbrella. It's a weird game. It's also adorable and charming as heck. The first few hours I played this, I had the biggest dumb grin on my face the entire time. This game is good. It's fun to play. A lot of love went into this game and it shows.

A Hat in Time takes its inspiration more from the Mario style of 3d platformers than it does from anything Rare put out on the N64. More than anything else, it actually reminds me of Super Mario Sunshine. But don't run away yet. Remember, I said this game was fun.

Hey are you going to--

The objects we need to collect are called "time pieces" and there are 40 in the game. By the end of this LP, we will have all 40 in our possession. I will not be collecting all of the other collectables because I don't actually hate myself that much.

Spoilers?

If you need to talk about a spoiler, then use tags. As disjointed as it may be, there is actually a story to follow. Also the boss fights are best experienced with no fore-knowledge, because they're quite something indeed.

Other Stuff

As of March 2018, this game has steam workshop support. I've already downloaded like 40 different mods, and after a few videos I will start cycling them in just to liven things up.

The Videos

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
When DN told me that he was starting this LP, I decided to finally get around to playing A Hat in Time (today, in fact). And boy, is it charming. :allears: I may have sunk eight hours into it already...

Oh, and I appreciate that our ponytailed protagonist likes corgis. :3: Hat Kid has good taste.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
Well I'm thoroughly charmed! This looks like it'll be a nice, adorable ride! The music has personality, Mafia all have personality, I can't wait to see where this goes!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Objection: Yooka-Laylee was also actually good and fun

that's all i got though enjoy the game!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This game is good and fun and charming as gently caress and I encourage everyone to buy it. I'm a garbage person at platformers and I frankly can't get into most of them, and I enjoyed it, so you can enjoy it, too.

Only problem with the game is that I could've played like another 500 hours of it and there wasn't another 500 hours to play.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
My god this game is so cute and wholesome. I love it

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Objection: Yooka-Laylee was also actually good and fun

that's all i got though enjoy the game!

I agree. But this one even moreso.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm glad everyone is enjoying how adorable and charming this game is. :3:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You seem to be almost bee-lining to the time pieces. There's a lot of things you can do and collect in the stages that you haven't shown off. Do you plan to show it off later?

Anyway, it's a bit strange that the ship used time pieces as fuel. Maybe the only way to travel faster than light is to manipulate time?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Crystalgate posted:

Anyway, it's a bit strange that the ship used time pieces as fuel. Maybe the only way to travel faster than light is to manipulate time?

Maybe they gave up on FTL travel and settled for always arriving late, then travelling back in time so it seemed like they always arrived right on the dot. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crystalgate posted:

You seem to be almost bee-lining to the time pieces. There's a lot of things you can do and collect in the stages that you haven't shown off. Do you plan to show it off later?

quote:

Hey are you going to--

The objects we need to collect are called "time pieces" and there are 40 in the game. By the end of this LP, we will have all 40 in our possession. I will not be collecting all the other collectables because I don't actually hate myself that much.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Crystalgate posted:

Some of the later time pieces allow for more free roaming, with objectives spread all over the level. I'll slow down and explore more during those. I'm not going to go out of my way to get 100% of everything, but I'll collect what I can as long as it's reasonably nearby.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

In addition to today's update, I have some totally not suspicious questions I need some answers to. Funniest/best ones will feature in a future video!
  • Uncle's sister's maiden name
  • Favorite combination of letters and numbers
  • Name of your pet's childhood pet
  • What would your superhero name be
  • Body part you're ashamed of

Nothing vulgar, please.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Everything about this game is adorable as heck. Though I'm sad the raincoat doesn't show up more.

Uncle's sister's maiden name: PUNCHETTE
Favorite combination of letters and numbers: F157
Name of your pet's childhood pet: KNUCKLES
What would your superhero name be: FISTMAN
Body part you're ashamed of: HAND

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I bought this game after seeing the first episode and it's been super worth it so far. between this and Yooka-Laylee I'm glad performers are making a comeback

• Uncle's sister's maiden name: BOLOGNA
  • Favorite combination of letters and numbers: ABCD1234
  • Name of your pet's childhood pet: GUMBO
  • What would your superhero name be: MITCH
  • Body part you're ashamed of: SPLEEN

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The game is full of amazing musical tracks, but I want to draw special attention to the one from today's update.

Rainy Mafia Town

It's so good!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You got that adorable raincoat all muddy! How horrible!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DoubleNegative posted:

In addition to today's update, I have some totally not suspicious questions I need some answers to. Funniest/best ones will feature in a future video!
  • Uncle's sister's maiden name
  • Favorite combination of letters and numbers
  • Name of your pet's childhood pet
  • What would your superhero name be
  • Body part you're ashamed of

Nothing vulgar, please.

But nothing vulgar means no "Why?" achievement.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The brewing hat is extremely good, because not only does it get you a lot of Poms from breaking stuff (especially in Mafia Town), but it's an attack with much better range than the umbrella. Hat Kid is very accurate with the potions too.

Also it's one of the few hats that still matches the kid's default colour scheme.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

DoubleNegative posted:

• Uncle's sister's maiden name: Potato
  • Favorite combination of letters and numbers: P0tat0
  • Name of your pet's childhood pet: Potato
  • What would your superhero name be: Potato
  • Body part you're ashamed of: Appendix
Because Potato isn't a body part. That's just silly.

Unless the game lets you say Potato, in which case POTATO.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
What would have happened, had you approached that Mafia without the mud covering?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Might as well answer these completely reasonable questions while I'm here...
  • Uncle's sister's maiden name: POSITIVE
  • Favorite combination of letters and numbers: HATS4LIFE
  • Name of your pet's childhood pet: MISSILE
  • What would your superhero name be: ODDJOB
  • Body part you're ashamed of: SOUL

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What's the deal with the scenes at the desk and the T.V.?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Uncle's sister's maiden name: Frank
Favorite combination of letters and numbers: V80Fq
Name of your pet's childhood pet: Moon Unit
What would your superhero name be: The Sombrero Avenger
Body part you're ashamed of: Eyebrows

azren fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 7, 2018

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

azren posted:

Uncle's sister's maiden name: Frank
Favorite combination of letters and numbers: V80Fq
Name of your pet's childhood pet: Moon Unit
What would your superhero name be: The Sombrero Avenger
Body part you're ashamed of: Eyebrows
You're limited to 12 digits for the superhero question (I think the rest has a limit of 10).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Uncle's sister's maiden name: Maidan
Favorite combination of letters and numbers: URAQT
Name of your pet's childhood pet: Me
What would your superhero name be: Fleeing Man
Body part you're ashamed of: Jar of Eyes

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

You're limited to 12 digits for the superhero question (I think the rest has a limit of 10).

Fixed.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

What's the deal with the scenes at the desk and the T.V.?

There's a bunch of places you can just sit and get cinematic views of the area. Not just on the ship either, around the worlds too.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Let's take down the boss of the Mafia!

I also want to thank everyone who contributed answers. Gonna record a bunch more episodes this weekend, and the best/funniest ones will be used in one of the videos!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Video spoiler: Not surprised that Mustache Girl turned on us. At least it's not that she was always evil, like I suspected.

Also, this game is silly.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
I find it funny how Mustache Girl stole half of your money, just because you wouldn't join forces with her crusade against the mafia. So rude. We have more important things to do! Like get back home, dangit!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's the problem with fish puns, DoubleNegative? Do you have a hard time tunang them out? Or is it just because they hook you every time? I'm sure you'll fin some way to deal with them before it gills you.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

What's the problem with fish puns, DoubleNegative? Do you have a hard time tunang them out? Or is it just because they hook you every time? I'm sure you'll fin some way to deal with them before it gills you.

They have their plaice.

I don't think it was noted in the video but the bosses all turn blue when they're vulnerable to attack! I didn't notice that when I first fought this one so it gave me a bit more trouble than it really warranted.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
With all these deadly puns, we may need a team of highly-trained sturgeons to save DN's life.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Friendship ended with moustache girl?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I loved the meter at the end.

It just exploded.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

So with the previous video and the introduction of the modded outfits, I went and enabled all the mods I downloaded so I could swap to them before recording a level. Except one of the mods gives you a hat skin for a hat we have yet to unlock. Which means that Hat Kid now has early access to a hat she, by all rights, shouldn't have yet.

I can fix it, but it involves erasing the save file and speed running the first four missions all over again. Alternatively I can just do a quick demonstration of the hat. It's the next one we unlock anyway.

Does anyone feel particularly strongly about it either way?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The hat is one we could make right after the last shown mission, provided the player had enough yarn. So :effort:

It just requires picking up a piece of that hat's yarn in world 2, which just became available.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 12, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If it's literally the next hat you could pick up, then I wouldn't bother re-doing anything. I'd at least mention how you're supposed to get it in the video, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'd call it a minor issue as long as you don't use it to do any serious sequence skips or anything.

• Locked thread