Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I lost it at the Mafia Ball Attack. A load of other people have said it as well but this game is just so charming and silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The next update is potentially gonna be late. No idea by how much. Long story short, I have to completely redo the video from scratch.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

In addition to what I showed off, the PC in Hat Kid's basement also has a text-based adventure game. Like everything else in the basement, the joke drags on well past the point where it stops being funny. The video also makes me look insane by not showing the first minute dipping into single digit framerate while recording and editing.

Also the video's still not completely finished processing, but the little progress bar is above 95%. So HD may not immediately be available.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You know, for some reason, I don't think the Conductor's an owl. Can't quite say why, though.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I could've sworn that bird receptionist was voiced by JonTron.

On a slightly less iffy note, I really like the ridiculously expensive bill and the double sunglasses. I know it's been said before, but this game is just so charming.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's one way to break into show business.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I had this pointed out to me, and now I need to share it.

Hat Kid is making a little finger gun once she sneaks into the studio. Like she's pretending she's James Bond. :allears:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Epicmissingno posted:

I could've sworn that bird receptionist was voiced by JonTron.

So could I! I remember the complaints about not removing his voice.

Speaking of guest voices though, the weenie owls are all ProZD.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know uncle Scrooge was in this game...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Conductor's "accent" is a work of art.

Also, gotta say, Hat In Time is one of the few games I can recall with a non-garbage stealth mechanic. It's not overly punishing and you can sometimes brute force it even if you gently caress up or if you just can't figure out a section.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Dead Bird Studios is however home to one of the Act-specific achievements: getting through all of that without being spotted at all, even for the briefest moment. The slow camera ride near the end is awful for that, because a NPC's vision cone does sweep around when they turn. It's very easy for the owl there to clip Hat Kid, same with the two immediately afterwards.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hat Kid's ship is not very secure.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
At a guess I'd have to say that today's Hat Kid colours are inspired by Tiki from the Fire Emblem series.

That storybook at the end about how Mafia Town was founded was really nice and, you guessed it, charming. I'm looking forward to the other worlds' ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Epicmissingno posted:

At a guess I'd have to say that today's Hat Kid colours are inspired by Tiki from the Fire Emblem series.

I figured Justin Bailey-flavored Samus. It could also be Terra. Lots of green hair red clothes women out there in videogames.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I figured Justin Bailey-flavored Samus. It could also be Terra. Lots of green hair red clothes women out there in videogames.

Yep, it's Terra. I nearly put in a line about her being a magitek witch, but thought that was a little too on the nose.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I have to admit the pillow made me think it was a Yuuka Kazami ref.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Can I say how I love Dead Bird Studios' music track with it's transitions between the Western themed areas for the Conductor and the Electronic theme for DJ Grooves.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Starting to think about what to do now that levels are starting to get longer as we move into the mid-game. They're only gonna get a lot longer from here on out. I mostly want to avoid having another half hour long video like today's update, so what would be a good approximate cutoff point? Should I start liberally using the speedup function?

Also the video just finished processing, so if you're watching right after I post this HD may not be available yet.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I love how hard the Conductor sells the word 'murder'. :allears:

This level actually has to be played at least twice if you want all the achievements; there's one for getting all the evidence, and one for getting none of it at all. (The game still lets you accuse the Conductor, even without any.)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
She was such a good kid. I.... I never saw it coming :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

What does the conductor head stand for in that score?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Bruceski posted:

What does the conductor head stand for in that score?

We found a couple conductor head pickups in the level. I forgot to comment on them, but they add to the score at the end.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Also, how dare those crows mock Hat Kid's POTATO.

There aren't very many tops with capes available, so I'm sure she did the best she could. (And the only top hat without a monocle is undyeable. :argh:)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
My suggestion made it in for the most unfitting part.

I'm so happy.

Seriously I choked laughing when I saw it in context of the game.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Look, it's a really bad potato, ok? I mean, they shouldn't mock it because that's just rude, but I mean it's just reality

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
When I first played this level, I had a minor glitch happen. In the place where you're supposed to find Hat Kid's folder, I found Your Uncle's Sister instead. Not having seen the level played before, I thought nothing of it. Until I got to the last folder and received Your Uncle's Sister AGAIN, and then seeing Hat Kid up in the line up and scratched my head trying to figure out what just happened. I could only suspect a glitch as I was able to choose anyone but I ended up choosing the Conductor and that was still an amusing ending. Though the grandiose plot the Conductor lays out for picking yourself/Hat Kid is quite amusing, if rather outlandish.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's something very wrong with this train. Other than it being way too big on the inside for a proper train, there's something weird with the directions.

At some point you were in some square room with several side rooms, but also at least 3 sides of the room each had windows in them, and each showed the side of the tracks rushing by. For at least one of those you'd expect to be looking out of the front or the back of the train.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's something very wrong with this train. Other than it being way too big on the inside for a proper train, there's something weird with the directions.

At some point you were in some square room with several side rooms, but also at least 3 sides of the room each had windows in them, and each showed the side of the tracks rushing by. For at least one of those you'd expect to be looking out of the front or the back of the train.

"What would you know!? Haven't you ever heard of suspension of disbelief!?" -Ed Wood The Conductor

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This is a neat, but kinda boring level.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

This is a neat, but kinda boring level.

I have to admit, I liked it. Like, it's not in any way challenging, you have to try to die, and there are no real platforming difficulties... but it's a nice change of pace. Which is a great thing about the game, it's always tossing something new at you. Few levels are carbon-copies of each other, and almost all of them have something unique. A few are even non-challenges, just "gently caress around and have some fun and see some silly stuff"-levels.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Conductor's VA, Xander Mobus, has also done the Persona 5 protagonist, the Smash Brothers 4 announcer, and Innes and Arvis in Fire Emblem Heroes.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Tourist Guy only shows up here after you encounter him in Subcon Forest, which is kind of weird given most people will do this first.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
From Terra to Zelda, Hat Kid has the best cosplays in the galaxy.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Oh god I lost it at the option to say "PECK" as a choice of condiment and I have no idea why. I'm still giggling now. How does this game make a dumb swearing-on-TV joke so brilliant?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Whybird posted:

Oh god I lost it at the option to say "P*CK" as a choice of condiment and I have no idea why. I'm still giggling now. How does this game make a dumb swearing-on-TV joke so brilliant?

Hey, language! There might be children in here!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Time rifts!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I dunno who the orange one was, but that looked like Link at the end, maybe? Thoroughly enjoying the costumes as well as the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

inflatablefish posted:

Hey, language! There might be children in here!

Oh, peck off.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Awww, poor Conductor and Grooves. Stardom got the better of them and their friendship paid the price :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:patriot:

And in case anyone is still curious about the safety orange reference.

• Locked thread