Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Aw, we're a hero now! :3:

Edit: Update on last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Just finished recording the next batch, and it's a pity that it's September. This next set would have been perfectly suited for October instead.

Also, the game's first DLC is coming out soon. Not this coming Thursday, but the one after... the 13th. So if you're into that sort of thing, that's something to look forward to.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

DoubleNegative posted:

Just finished recording the next batch, and it's a pity that it's September. This next set would have been perfectly suited for October instead.
You can never have the spookies too early. Halloween all day, every day.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If you're in the US, happy Labor Day! If you're not, then happy Monday.

HD processing may not yet be finished if you watch this immediately.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Contract guy kind of reminds me of the black chests in the second Paper Mario game. FOOOOOOOOOOOLS! Now you're cursed under contract!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well, our new friend certainly acts a lot more like the mafia than the Mafia do.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That manor...

THAT MANOR.

I won't spoil it, but... THAT PEEIN' MANOR.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Epicmissingno posted:

Contract guy kind of reminds me of the black chests in the second Paper Mario game. FOOOOOOOOOOOLS! Now you're cursed under contract!

That entire sequence is a super clear reference to that, including the purple text box and the text box opening/closing sounds, and the lightning after signing the contract, everything really.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 3, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

What are you talking about, it's basically Halloween already. This is a good time for... Subcon Forest?

What happened to Super Mario Bros. 2?

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Subcon Forest is delightfully creepy, and I love it. Contract Guy can get a bit annoying after awhile, but still. One of my fave chapters. :3:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is Subcon a reference to something that I don't get?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Subcon is the name of the dream realm that Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) took place in. I don't know if the reference is intentional (it seems to be referring to subcontractors, although there is a distinct possibility both interpretations are intended especially if the purple contract guy is a reference to Thousand Year Door), but it's what a lot of gamers, especially those around during the NES era, are going to associate with the word.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

is Subcon a reference to something that I don't get?

It's probably short for subcontractor. As the big bad contracts its work out to the main character.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
For some reason my brain always parsed "Subcon" as "Subconscious" like it was a place that was gonna pull all the terrors out of the deep holes in your brain, that sort of thing. Not that it makes an awful lot of sense to read it that way, of course.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I always figured the Subcon Forest grew out of what was once just the Subcon Tract.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Oh no, I have to kill these foxes." "Yaaaaaaaaaay, we WANT to die!" Moral crisis averted.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The line Hat Kid says after a batch of fox spirits die still makes her sound like a devil worshipper though. (And she is currently without a soul...)

Also woo, fox mask. :toot:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Yapping Eevee posted:

The line Hat Kid says after a batch of fox spirits die still makes her sound like a devil worshipper though. (And she is currently without a soul...)

Hat is kind of a sociopath.

Just not an evil sociopath. She's the rare heroic, adorable sociopath.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The pompadour birds can piss right off. I think they got me like six times in that time rift alone. :argh:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like the hookshot should have been a straight upgrade rather than a badge. It's required for so many of the challenged ahead that you've got no reason to ever take it off.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I know you said you weren't going to go look at the diary entries after every level but hopefully you don't mind if someone else does and gets screenshots of them:

Dead Bird Studio

Murder on the Owl Express

Picture Perfect

Heating up Mafia Town

Contractual Obligations

The Subcon Well

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Will you be showing the DLC when it comes out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Will you be showing the DLC when it comes out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

I've been thinking about that since I saw the announcement trailer a few weeks ago. I'm thinking yes. But unless the game will let me either back up my save or copy it over to file 2, it'll be done blind by necessity.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
How? How is this game so endearingly adorable?!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

How? How is this game so endearingly adorable?!

I'm glad there are still developers who are willing to make charming games with goofy humour. One of the things that always throws me about the mail delivery is that, at least on the PS4, there's no way to toggle inverse vertical camera settings when you're riding the scooter, and I have them inverted the rest of the time, so I struggle with the camera a lot

Here are the diary pages for this mission. Hat Kid doesn't really know what to make of The Snatcher

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
DLC is out right as I type this, go get it while it's still free!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Today's update will be coming tomorrow because I'll be playing the DLC tonight and don't want to be bothered putting an update out with that waiting in the wings. :v:

Tombot posted:

DLC is out right as I type this, go get it while it's still free!

Basically, this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Game is currently on sale for $18. That's like 1/5 of a hat (it's a very good hat).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Today's update will be coming tomorrow because I'll be playing the DLC tonight and don't want to be bothered putting an update out with that waiting in the wings. :v:

I'm a liar.

I go over exactly why in the video, but the short answer is: "I updated because I can't actually play the DLC right now."

It needs ~88% (35/40) of the hourglasses, and the LP save file has 58% (23/40). So... yeah.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

It's a shame about not being able to play the DLC yet. I look forward to seeing what ridiculous challenges it can throw at you, though!

Incidentally, since it looks like there's only going to be one or two more videos in Subcon Forest, what happened with that chest at 17:30-ish in part 11? I can't have been the only one who's been hoping it'll get picked up at some point...

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if it makes you feel any better, us console people don't even have a release date for getting the DLC, so I don't even have the option of switching to a different save file to play it :smith:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

The pompadour birds can piss right off. I think they got me like six times in that time rift alone. :argh:

It's weird to think how the most annoying enemy in the game is the one that on it's own does 0 damage. Bullying Elvis Birds are mean.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

It's weird to think how the most annoying enemy in the game is the one that on it's own does 0 damage. Bullying Elvis Birds are mean.

I think they're actually the second-most annoying enemy in the game. We haven't seen the first yet, so I won't name them.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think the time rifts that take place in what I can only best describe as London underwater are my favorite parts of the game. The music there is so calming, probably my favorite music track in the game. It also helps that it also gets a pretty rad synthwave remix as well if you use a certain ability.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This update marks the 20th hourglass. We're at the halfway point for the vanilla game! :toot:

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
What.

There is a shortcut.

That skips the entire level.

What.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

For babies who can't handle basic horror like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Blue Link posted:

What.

There is a shortcut.

That skips the entire level.

What.

Unfortunately it looks like it also skips one of the relics, so you have to go back if you want to get all the time pieces anyway. Whoops. At least it lets you get to Subcon Forest's finale.

• Locked thread