Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Epicmissingno posted:

Unfortunately it looks like it also skips one of the relics, so you have to go back if you want to get all the time pieces anyway. Whoops. At least it lets you get to Subcon Forest's finale.

Not quite. This run I've been finding relics in places I never did in my first run of the game. There's more places to find them than there are actual relics. I think extras turn into more yarn?

We still have the entire fourth world to go despite having most of its relics already, regardless.

Edit: cross posting from the bottom of the previous page...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DoubleNegative posted:

Not quite. This run I've been finding relics in places I never did in my first run of the game. There's more places to find them than there are actual relics. I think extras turn into more yarn?

We still have the entire fourth world to go despite having most of its relics already, regardless.

They turn into rift tokens.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fun fact-in the beta/early access, this level had a 3rd floor that was entirely dark and had you outrunning Vanessa. It was cut because it wasn't fun.

In personal news, this level scared the poo poo out of me. You can also just grab the key in the bathroom straight away, and run straight for the locked door instead of luring Vanessa into the master bedroom.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
this level creeped the gently caress out of me and I still don't like to play it regularly.

Diary pages

in which we find out Hat Kid is ageist, but then again aren't most kids?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I have to admit I kind of breezed through the mansion, got caught once on the second floor and that was it. I could see how it could feel tedious having to redo it... but it also feels like you're drawing it out for yourself some, so that may be why it feels worse to you. There are definitely faster ways to do the first floor.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, that didn't seem fun at all. Just tedious. It could have been fun if the hiding places required platforming or creativity and/or the queen moved around faster rather than keeping you pinned in place for a couple minutes at a time

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It goes faster if you don't sit waiting (and know what to do). I just did that level and you can outrun her pretty well in most spots.

Also, found something with the fox mask in the attic:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
By the way, I don't recall if it came up on the last page, but Gears for Breakfast removed the requirement of challenge mode tokens to progress in Arctic Cruise like, the day after the DLC dropped.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed Hat's shadow doesn't always render properly, if at all, which makes this game's platforming kind of a bear at times. It can be really difficult to judge distances properly. The big tree in Subcon Forest is a good example of that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You know, I've got no idea how you're intended to get back from that platform with the crane on it. I was able to fudge it and get on the roof of its cab, which is high enough to jump to one of the trees from, but given how little room there is to stand and how finicky it is to get on top of it in the first place, I don't think that's the intended solution. Also, I think I missed that same ticket my first run through. Eventually I need to go back to the purple rift in the last region and get all the tickets; I think I missed one or two, and I couldn't be arsed with it at the time.

Subcon purple rift is definitely a little obnoxious, but it has nice music.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

KieranWalker posted:

I've noticed Hat's shadow doesn't always render properly, if at all, which makes this game's platforming kind of a bear at times. It can be really difficult to judge distances properly. The big tree in Subcon Forest is a good example of that.

Yeah, I wonder if that's a specific graphics setting thing you could fix by tweaking them the right way or just the way the game is. But generally the game is forgiving enough with the platforming that the only thing it does poorly in that regard, and oh God does it ever do that poorly, is when you're expected to swing off a hookshot and land on a rope that's perpendicular to your angle of hookshot swing.

Also while I love the visuals and music of the Subcon Rift... I kind of disliked it, too. Not so much because of platforming difficulty, but because each area felt really hard to be sure you'd cleared of tickets. Like, none of the areas are HUGE, but they FEEL like there could easily be something you missed, which bugged the hell out of me.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Solid metallic gold is uh... certainly a color scheme, there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Solid metallic gold is uh... certainly a color scheme, there.

And odd. I've cleaned out my token bonuses and never saw it. Is it from mods?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Bruceski posted:

And odd. I've cleaned out my token bonuses and never saw it. Is it from mods?

Yep! It's from the "Material Girl" mod. Though it's apparently also a challenge skin from the DLC?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1348546912

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

DoubleNegative posted:

Yep! It's from the "Material Girl" mod. Though it's apparently also a challenge skin from the DLC?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1348546912

Yeah, you can now get several of the cosmetic mods through the DLC. The ribbon version of the sprint hat, which you used in this episode, is another example.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That's the end of all this recorded footage. So for the next set I can either finish up Dead Bird Studios or go investigate the new level. Does anyone feel strongly either way? Both is also an acceptable answer.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Go finish up Dead Bird.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think the reason that boss battle feels so Undertale(which I agree, is a very good thing) is A) the music gives you a bit of a Megalovania feel and B) the Snatcher's vicious breaking of the 4th wall is also pretty Undertale.

Hat Kid is a hilariously terrible person. "Let's make friends with Space Satan!" Doesn't flinch at tossing people's souls into pyres, etc. Plus all her internal monologue from the diary is just awful. She's great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Looking at the mod list, THAT'S why some of the hats I've pulled out of there look jarring and don't change with her dye colors. Didn't know they officially added in some mod items.

Finish up Dead Bird, I believe the new stuff has some minor spoiler in some of the side flavor convos.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I like that even with the soul returned there's not no emptiness. Just exactly the right amount.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does it do anything if you complete the game without getting your soul back?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

AweStriker posted:

I like that even with the soul returned there's not no emptiness. Just exactly the right amount.

Yeah, this made me laugh pretty hard. I'm impressed by the game and the lp. Great job op!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fangz posted:

Does it do anything if you complete the game without getting your soul back?

Nope. The ending does not change based on what you've cleared.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, you made that fight look easy! I didn't particularly get reminded of Undertale's soundtrack by the music but it is my favourite piece in the game.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Oh Hat Kid, will you ever stop being such a sweetie? :allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I agree, finish up Dead Bird Studios.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I love the end of this chapter so much. :allears: And remember, Hat Kid is not human. She is not bound by our petty morality.

Also... Hey, guess what's on sale for the next four days! :toot:

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Finish up dead bird.

And the boss fight song gave me some serious Ys vibes, which is a very good thing!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Snatcher is far and away the coolest boss fight in the game. I saw the fight coming, but I didn't anticipate him stealing your hat. Everything about it is great, from the frantic pace, to the 4th wall breaking, to the music, to the end cutscene.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Good news if you're enjoying this LP! It's been renewed by the studios for 7 more weeks!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This loving act. :shepface: So, you know how some of the game's achievements are tied to specific levels? There's one for the Big Parade that requires you to never fall into the crowd. That one took a whole lot of attempts...

Oh, and if DJ Grooves speaks up while you're in the air, halfway across a gap? You lose your momentum and plummet to almost certain doom. So don't go jumping to new buildings when the timer's about to finish.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

This loving act. :shepface: So, you know how some of the game's achievements are tied to specific levels? There's one for the Big Parade that requires you to never fall into the crowd. That one took a whole lot of attempts...

Oh, and if DJ Grooves speaks up while you're in the air, halfway across a gap? You lose your momentum and plummet to almost certain doom. So don't go jumping to new buildings when the timer's about to finish.

funnily enough, I got that one just by playing through it normally without knowing there was an achievement because I like doing poo poo like that for fun.

I forgot to post a couple of diary entries. so here they are:

Toilet of Doom

Hat Kid was not thrilled at her contract for that one.

Your Contract Is Up

Makes it seem like she was editing the contract around just to torture him.

The Big Parade

But if there's one thing Hat Kid does love, it's fame.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Yapping Eevee posted:

It's one of the only pre-DLC achievements for the game I still haven't gotten. Although now that I've done the Death Wish version of that level I should probably attempt it again.

It's helpful to know that the only rooftops that get electrified are the one surrounded by coloured lights.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ugh, this level was hell for me. I never quite got to grips with the platforming in this game - something about the lighting made it really hard for me to see where Hat Kid was placed in the world while in mid-air. Which goes poorly with a floor-is-lava level with lots of tightropes. There's a fair few places on the edges where you can fall in the crowd then not be able to get back out again, meaning an instant death. The level has checkpoints but I think it resets the number of tokens you got - if so, that's pretty much the entire reason the Conductor won their little contest in my game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Ugh, this level was hell for me. I never quite got to grips with the platforming in this game - something about the lighting made it really hard for me to see where Hat Kid was placed in the world while in mid-air. Which goes poorly with a floor-is-lava level with lots of tightropes. There's a fair few places on the edges where you can fall in the crowd then not be able to get back out again, meaning an instant death. The level has checkpoints but I think it resets the number of tokens you got - if so, that's pretty much the entire reason the Conductor won their little contest in my game.

Tightropes are the main place where my depth perception goes to crud in this game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/oaDXMws.gifv

Special gifv of the other mod I've been using the past 2 videos that is kinda hard to notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

It's weird, both the second round films of Battle Of The Birds are focused on keeping you moving through increasingly frantic areas, but it feels less obnoxious in Train Rush's linear level design and time limit vs The Big Parade's Cosmic Clone band in the open level.

• Locked thread