Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The achievement this time is a much more straightforward 'complete the level without picking up any time bonuses'. It's quite tight if you do it that way, and you're certainly not getting a good score, but I did manage this one in a single try. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

Special gifv of the other mod I've been using the past 2 videos that is kinda hard to notice

So I wasn't imagining it. Whew.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Train Rush is indeed a drat good level.

I actually liked the time rift featured in the video, but then again I didn't die fourteen times in it. I can certainly understand how that might sour one's opinion.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Train Rush is five kinds of excellent. Fun platforming AND an excellent soundtrack.

I agree that the Conductor's levels are generally better than Grooves', but I did enjoy Picture Perfect just for all the goofy Hat Girl photos you get to take during it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Train Rush might be my favourite level, I actually came back to it after 100 percenting the game to see how much I could get my time down by.

I think I probably died as much as you did in that rift, but that was mainly because I didn't realise you could dash under things and I had no idea how I was supposed to get past that grate.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The band owls are just here to play some music, man, they don't care about your giant buzzsaws and exploding birthday cakes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I would like to point out that there's an electro swing version of the song.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The crates you can examine are full of a bunch of writing/screenwriting terms.
Macguffin -- most folks know this, it's an object that exists just to provide motivation for the characters to come into conflict. The Maltese Falcon, for example, could have been anything and the rest of the story would work.
Jonbar Hinge -- You might know it as the Butterfly Effect or the Trousers of Time, it's a small event in time-travel fiction that causes history to diverge wildly. Comes from a 1940s story where a character (John Barr) picking up a magnet or a pebble causes a very different civilization down the line. If I remember right the story's about two competing factions of time travelers trying to get him to pick the one they want, but I haven't read it in at least 20 years so I may be misremembering.
Red Herring -- a misleading clue, meant to send the reader down a wrong path of speculation or simply to muddy all the actual clues in the story so they aren't obvious.
Framing Device -- the setting for a story, providing a different context within the main story. For example the Princess Bride is framed as a story a grandfather is telling his sick kid, rather than presented as the top-level movie itself.
Checkov's Gun (didn't see it in the video but that crate's in there as well) -- an object that gets mentioned early in the story in order to be used later. "If a gun is fired in the third act, it must be placed on the mantle in the first."

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You know, I had actually forgotten to come back to Dead Bird Studios for this segment until I'd just about finished the rest of the game. It really felt like a lost chapter or bonus content to me by the time I did finally realize it was sitting there waiting for me.

I know it isn't, but after finishing just about everything else, it was a treat to come back here and find this goodly-sized level and frantic boss fight.

Edit: For some reason, the line about it being a shame there was no way to take the immensely excessive, gaudy gold-plated hand drier with you absolutely killed me when I first saw it. This game's sense of humor is one of my most favorite things ever.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 9, 2018

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

There are way more than 42 awards in the Conductor's room. They're all the same, too - he's been using the Time Pieces to live through the award ceremony over and over.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I had a hell of a time with those multiple perpendicular wire jumps, too, gently caress those things. Rest of this level I really enjoyed, though, great atmosphere and music.

Also, DoubleNegative: Did you ever try activating the Dweller Mask in the corridor between Hat Kid's bedroom and the rest of the ship? There's a small easter egg if you do.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Checkov's Gun (didn't see it in the video but that crate's in there as well) -- an object that gets mentioned early in the story in order to be used later. "If a gun is fired in the third act, it must be placed on the mantle in the first."

That's not what Chekhov's Gun means. The principle of Chekhov's Gun is to eliminate unnecessary elements in the story.

"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."

It applies more to plays and movies than it does books, though, since props are expensive and mean that much more work for stagehands and/or the tech department. Plus, excess detail will distract the audience.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I had a hell of a time with those multiple perpendicular wire jumps, too, gently caress those things. Rest of this level I really enjoyed, though, great atmosphere and music.

Also, DoubleNegative: Did you ever try activating the Dweller Mask in the corridor between Hat Kid's bedroom and the rest of the ship? There's a small easter egg if you do.

Well I'm going to try that now! Might record that and append it to the next video.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AweStriker posted:

That's not what Chekhov's Gun means. The principle of Chekhov's Gun is to eliminate unnecessary elements in the story.

"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don't put it there."

It applies more to plays and movies than it does books, though, since props are expensive and mean that much more work for stagehands and/or the tech department. Plus, excess detail will distract the audience.

Ah, I had it backwards. Kinda gets used both ways, though, despite the origin.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

Edit: For some reason, the line about it being a shame there was no way to take the immensely excessive, gaudy gold-plated hand drier with you absolutely killed me when I first saw it. This game's sense of humor is one of my most favorite things ever.

It's great. You can also examine some of the posters, where Hat Kid muses on her great movies then realises she never negotiated any sort of salary.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
For the curious folks, here's a video that starts with DJ Grooves' version of the boss fight. They change the stage and dialogue to fit him, and his gripe about all those losses feels more valid to me than the Conductor being upset about a single one.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

fractalairduct posted:

There are way more than 42 awards in the Conductor's room. They're all the same, too - he's been using the Time Pieces to live through the award ceremony over and over.

...whoops, I misremembered what they said about award 42, and I thought it came up earlier.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Battle of Award 42 is the second best track in the game. It's largely a remix of the Train Rush theme. I feel like there might be some Big Parade in there too? It'd make sense thematically.

I haven't tried it but I suspect you could make the fight a little easier using the Brewing Hat to get more hits in? Since Conductor doesn't do the whole turn-blue thing.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

As a whole, this level is probably my favourite in the entire game start to finish. The little bit of exploration in night-time Dead Bird studios is a great framing device and lets you pick up a few yarns that you might have missed the first time. The platforming is challenging and a little fiddly at times (landing on pipes/wires) but at this stage its probably the biggest pure platforming challenge outside of the time rifts, the music is great, there's bits of flavour text everywhere and it all builds up to the bossfight itself.

Battle for award 42 is a fantastic track on a track filled with great boss music, the fight gradually escalates in difficulty first by making the attacks themselves harder to deal with (the multiple copies) and then upping the stakes with the bomb as the music gets even faster. The last section still keeps the pressure on with the owl band but without the timer it's a lot less nerve-wracking and the music reflects that, settling into a big show tune rather than guitar shredding. It's probably the best paced boss fight in any platformer.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

They change the stage and dialogue to fit him, and his gripe about all those losses feels more valid to me than the Conductor being upset about a single one.

I like that it's all about the Conductor being a petty dickhead, though.

Also, personally, I felt like the Snatcher boss battle was tougher than Award 42, but I love both of them. It also occurs to me that we're 3 on 3 for boss fights in theatrical settings with cheering/jeering audiences so far. I wonder if that's intentional or just how things rolled up.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

I like that it's all about the Conductor being a petty dickhead, though.

Seconded. I actually got to this level with DJ Grooves in place to be the winner, but I went back and redid a couple of the Conductor's levels to get better scores because I had an inkling I'd be fighting the winner, and I felt like the Conductor made more sense as a boss. 'Cuz he's a petty dickhead.

...Peck neck.

For the record, if you tell him "maybe?" when he asks for one single time piece, he goes all "great! Settled then. Oh, but I can't let you live to tell anybody about it, sorry. You know how it is."

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 12, 2018

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Something that never fails to amuse me is, after all this time, the way the Conductor says DJ Grooves. You can hear the sheer contempt in his voice. :rolleyes: This boss fight would probably cause me to die several times before I beat it, judging by how complicated it looks. Yikes. But I agree that it looks fun, and sounds excellent.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

The last section still keeps the pressure on with the owl band

Didn't look like much of a band to me. Are knives instruments?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

AweStriker posted:

Didn't look like much of a band to me. Are knives instruments?

Do instruments of torture count?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Alpine Skyline is a great level, with an abundance of neat little side-areas.

Oh, and I found some fanart relevant to today's outfit.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You know, I THOUGHT I'd missed a big chunk of Alpine Skyline... I totally forgot about those Time Stop Hat switch puzzles.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The intro area Alpine Skyline music and sound effects really sound a little too spooky. I realize they were going for gloomy, but gloomy isn't spooky, necessarily.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If anyone's looking for a challenge, the time mesa (...that is *clearly* a butte) can almost be solved without the time hat. As I did before I had it and managed well enough to not immediately recognize it as a problem I didn't have the tools for.
Bridge: hit the button and fall, you respawn in front of the bridge with the timer still running. Sometimes anyway, I found this one by accident but was iffy on ability to reproduce it.
Two buttons: start at the top one with sprint hat. Jump over the lower fence and cut straight to the second button.
Doors: there's some sketchy clipping here, but I managed it with the sprint hat. Couldn't get out though.
Three buttons: Here's where I couldn't manage it. I could get from one button to the next within the time limit, but the extra time to turn around and head towards the third button always left me a fraction of a second short.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alpine Skyline isn't a great name for the area, honestly. It's clearly more Himalayan-inspired.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I totally missed some of the optional peaks in the Alpine Skyline, including the DN just did.

I also really dug most of it, plus I love that each of the worlds even has a somewhat different level structure, rather than just copypasting the same mechanic throughout the entire game. Only thing that bugged me about Alpine Skyline is one bit where you gotta do multiple perpendicular jumps from swing-to-wire to access a peak. It's godawful.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Tenebrais posted:

Alpine Skyline isn't a great name for the area, honestly. It's clearly more Himalayan-inspired.

Yeah, but try making cutesy rhymes with Himalaya

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This level's music is so good

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Kibibit posted:

Yeah, but try making cutesy rhymes with Himalaya

Himalaya Playing Area?

ehhhh....

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Realized far too late that I don't have the actual loading screen artwork for any of these levels. I've been meaning to redo them anyway so they're not so large, so this is as good a reason as any.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
There's another achievement here, for traversing the Lava Cake without touching the lava. (Taking damage from other sources is fine.)

A 'final exam' level is certainly a good way of describing Alpine Skyline. It's great fun to play through, and a lot of it will keep you on your toes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

There's another achievement here, for traversing the Lava Cake without touching the lava. (Taking damage from other sources is fine.)

Notice on the zipline back to the cake from that side island, where it drops you off not above solid ground?

I hate that zipline so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The bugged yarn ball is not only bugged, it's also a pain in the rear end to reach. The jump to that plus-shaped pole is really precise. You made it look quite easy.

• Locked thread