Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, anyone who's interested in seeing more intense Odenkirk, check out The Bear. It's a really great show, and while he's barely in it, the Christmas dinner scene is insane.

Throw the fork :colbert:

He's also a cartoon ghost dad in Undone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imaC8ZsCYkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Bob Odenkirk played Andy Dick’s lawyer in a few episodes of The Andy Dick Show which was on MTV2 I think. Like 2001 or so

It was basically proto-Saul Goodman

The show doesn’t seem to be online anywhere which is good because gently caress Andy Dick

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Cat Hassler posted:

Bob Odenkirk played Andy Dick’s lawyer in a few episodes of The Andy Dick Show which was on MTV2 I think. Like 2001 or so

The show doesn’t seem to be online anywhere which is good because gently caress Andy Dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn9HVuhSodU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Lol Clifford Main

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cat Hassler posted:

Kevin Nealon has a show called “Hiking with Kevin” and there’s an episode with Bob Odenkirk and one with Bryan Cranston and they’re both great

Cool, there's also one with Jonathan Banks. I missed the Bob Odenkirk one though. I now see the Bob Odenkirk is from 5 years ago, can't believe Kevin has been doing these for so many years!

Bob Odenkirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-njOgvbYbRI

Bryan Cranston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjwb836ttSg&t=73s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cat Hassler posted:

What about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCRgHzfVDE8

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Jonathan Banks is one of these actors that are usually an rear end in a top hat in their role but in real life are (rip Paul Gleason) apparently completely sweet and kind people

Like William Atherton from Ghostbusters, Die Hard, Real Genius, Trading Places

And Paul Gleason from Breakfast Club and Die Hard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Takes No Damage posted:

Throw the fork :colbert:

He's also a cartoon ghost dad in Undone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imaC8ZsCYkM

Haha, he did the Jimmy thing where he bites his thumb before jumping into a spiel. This show looks cool!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, well, about that show....

Also, anyone who's interested in seeing more intense Odenkirk, check out The Bear. It's a really great show, and while he's barely in it, the Christmas dinner scene is insane.

Is there a thread on 'Lucky Hank' anywhere?

And I have watched both seasons of 'The Bear'. It's very good. And I still don't seem to like it as much as some people.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Breaking Bad related question, how immersion stretching do other people find it that Hank doesn't sniff out Walter until the final season and the infamous fateful poo poo?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He has no real reason to believe it would be Walter until the end. Hank also is a macho rear end in a top hat who could never see someone like Walt, who he views as a pushover dying of cancer, as being capable of a quarter of the poo poo Heisenberg does.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, Hank was starting to get close to connecting dots with Walter and Jesse in season 3 at least, but then the twins shot him and that slowed him down considerably.

If that hadn’t happened and completely derailed Hank’s investigation, it may have started to get silly that he wasn’t making further connections between Walt and the drug world.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Cops are bad at their job. Hank is real bad at his job.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Walt was good at playing a well-meaning bumbling fool to Hank (driving up to block Hank's view in the episode "Better Call Saul", driving into an accident to stop him from looking into the laundromat), although Hank's willingness to accept it all played a part too. (When Walt literally tells him there's half a million in cash in the bag Hank's carrying)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gaius Marius posted:

He has no real reason to believe it would be Walter until the end. Hank also is a macho rear end in a top hat who could never see someone like Walt, who he views as a pushover dying of cancer, as being capable of a quarter of the poo poo Heisenberg does.

Hank also knew Walter for more than 10 years before the start of Breaking Bad, while we only knew Walt for a short while before he became Heisenberg.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He's like if the dad from Malcolm in the middle finally broke and started acting wildly different

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
walter was a standup guy to hank and open ear on numerous occasions, like on hank's wedding day

imagine telling gomie you slept with a hooker. you'd never hear the end of it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hank would come back after healing and Gomie would have a cake shaped like a stripper.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Pretty realistic I think - Hank believes Heisenberg is some scary criminal mastermind and that Walt is a laughable nebbish, so there's no reason to connect the two early on. Real world cops often fixate on a theory and don't deviate from it unless forced to, and it wasn't until he actually saw the note from Gail to Walter that he was forced to reevaluate Walt. If he hadn't been shot then he might have found some of the connection between Walt and Jesse, but he didn't.

I have a friend who did jail time while facing felony charges because cops decided that they liked the theory that a crazy buzzcut lesbian corrupted a sweet all-american blonde girl into the LGBT lifestyle and abused her more than they did facts. When Friend's family got a lawyer to actually look into the case, the amount of evidence the cops were trying to hide or ignore was staggering - the biggest one was that a cop in the precinct actually witnessed Ex throw Friend out of a moving car, but Ex claimed she was actually the one thrown out, and the cops wanted to believe Ex, so just decided to not include that in their report and said that Friend threw Ex out of a car. So I really don't find Hank's failure to connect the dots surprising, he's portrayed as prejudiced and emotional, not someone who coldly deals with facts like Sherlock Holmes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Hank would come back after healing and Gomie would have a cake shaped like a stripper.

With another, smaller stripper inside of it. It's like poetry it rhymes.

FireWorksWell posted:

(When Walt literally tells him there's half a million in cash in the bag Hank's carrying)

Or when Walt literally confesses to being the WW in Gale's lab journal :v:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Cops are bad at their job. Hank is real bad at his job.

Hank is pretty good at his job, the thing is he needed to have his tough guy exterior torn down to really start doing it correctly. Like he's right on the money with Fring, and when he finds Gale's book he immediately puts everything together with the evidence available to him about Walt and Heisenberg.

I've actually always found the Fring investigation interesting because I really can't see how Gus could have wriggled his way out. Simply killing Hanks was probably not going to work and likely would have made suspicion fall on him harder.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 6, 2024

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

imagine telling gomie you slept with a hooker. you'd never hear the end of it

Hank didn't sleep with a hooker, he got a blowjob from a drag performer at a gay bar :eng101:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The bursting out in tears to bug Hank's office thing was hilarious on so many different levels.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

khwarezm posted:

Breaking Bad related question, how immersion stretching do other people find it that Hank doesn't sniff out Walter until the final season and the infamous fateful poo poo?

Hank was never really shown as being that good at his job. And Walt was family to him, family clouded his judgement and ability to see Walter changed so much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The idea that your mild-mannered chemistry teacher friend who's dying of cancer has metamorphised into a ruthless druglord in his retirement is so inherently ridiculous that I can believe Hank never seriously considered it, even if there were times when he should have done.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hank was never really shown as being that good at his job.

What about the time he sniffed out the biggest drug kingpin in America who was right under his boss’s nose?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hank was never really shown as being that good at his job. And Walt was family to him, family clouded his judgement and ability to see Walter changed so much.

In what ways was he bad at his job? He was right on Walt and Jesse's rear end tracking down the RV and had them both dead to rights before being drawn away with the fake hospital call. Then after he beats Jesse in retaliation he takes responsibility and refuses to fudge things in his favor, accepting suspension and likely termination. True, better than the average cop isn't a high bar to clear, but still.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

loving LOL if any one of you would take a look at dorky-rear end high school teacher Walter White and think he was a drug kingpin.

You knew because they told you.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I wouldn't read him for a drug kingpin, but I'd like to think I'd be suspicious after lab equipment from his school supply closet is used to cook some of the best methamphetamine ever produced. He has terrible money problems, he goes missing, he produces a fortune out of nowhere...

They never did work out who stole the equipment from the school, instead they just arrested that janitor for smoking weed.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
also Hank looked for evidence so he could arrest and hopefully convict Walt. He realized it was Walt but he couldn't prove it and on top of that the guy being right under his nose the whole time made the entire idea seem insane on top of everything else.

Hank was also way, way behind linking much of any evidence to Walt and Walt sniffed him out fairly quickly, putting Hank even further behind.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I wouldn't read him for a drug kingpin, but I'd like to think I'd be suspicious after lab equipment from his school supply closet is used to cook some of the best methamphetamine ever produced. He has terrible money problems, he goes missing, he produces a fortune out of nowhere...

none of this is really actionable. It's circumstantial but weak.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
From Hank's POV, Heisenberg:

a) was powerful enough to fake his own imprisonment with Jimmy In And Out

b) was able to transport his trademark Blue Meth across state lines and all across the entire South West, as far away as Phoenix, while also making sure it didn't appear in ABQ

c) was able to have a former cartel underboss and the largest non-cartel affiliated crime boss in New Mexico assassinated by detonating a bomb in a nursing home

d) either owned or managed a gigantic secret meth superlab under a laundromat and was capable of destroying it and all evidence related to it that could have provided Hank with more leads (MAGNETS!)

e) controlled enough prisons that he could have his Nazi soldiers and other subcontractors kill ten guys within a 90 second window

Probably dozens more things I'm forgetting but these are off the top of my head. There's no way Hank would suspect his brother in law of being able to do any one of those things.

Aside from the Gail book, the biggest clue he has about Walt being the culprit is the phone call he receives outside the RV. How Jesse got his number to organise the fake hospital call drives him insane. It's probably the one thing that confirms his suspicions about Walt after reading the Gail book.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Takes No Damage posted:

In what ways was he bad at his job? He was right on Walt and Jesse's rear end tracking down the RV and had them both dead to rights before being drawn away with the fake hospital call. Then after he beats Jesse in retaliation he takes responsibility and refuses to fudge things in his favor, accepting suspension and likely termination. True, better than the average cop isn't a high bar to clear, but still.

He's a DEA agent in New Mexico who doesn't understand Spanish, so is really hindered in investigations - he can't do his own interrogations and interviews with non-English-speakers,. He's also openly racist and openly lets that cloud his investigations. When he transfers to the other office, the rest of the DEA agents clearly think he's a chump just for only knowing English, and when he keeps cracking racist jokes, their opinion of him lowers even more. He was on the way to leaving in shame for not being able to function before the bomb wiped out most of the office and let him leave as the heroic survivor.

So even other cops in the show think he's bad at his job, he demonstrates letting his preconceived notions cloud his judgement, and he relies a lot on luck to get away from his failures. Definitely seems like someone who wouldn't suspect the dorky-rear end high school teacher of being a drug kingpin until said kingpin was dumb enough to leave a book that directly links him to the drug empire laying around.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The other cops got killed by a turtle so I would take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
On the other hand, Hank starts off the show by making a drug-money bust so impressive that it drives his brother-in-law permanently insane.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

There are times I think about what it would have been like if Hank had lived and had all the other agents endlessly clowning his rear end for Walter being Heisenberg.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

From Hank's POV, Heisenberg:

a) was powerful enough to fake his own imprisonment with Jimmy In And Out

b) was able to transport his trademark Blue Meth across state lines and all across the entire South West, as far away as Phoenix, while also making sure it didn't appear in ABQ

I've wondered before about the Jimmy in and out thing, like it seems pretty flimsy to me, why wouldn't the police go back and pick up Badger again when its obvious its just some con? Sorry if this is a naive question, I don't know how the law works!

Also the range of his blue meth is actually even more impressive, Hank mentions that its shown up in Europe (through Madrigal and Lydia), so it shows he knows its gone full on international.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

He's a DEA agent in New Mexico who doesn't understand Spanish, so is really hindered in investigations - he can't do his own interrogations and interviews with non-English-speakers,. He's also openly racist and openly lets that cloud his investigations. When he transfers to the other office, the rest of the DEA agents clearly think he's a chump just for only knowing English, and when he keeps cracking racist jokes, their opinion of him lowers even more. He was on the way to leaving in shame for not being able to function before the bomb wiped out most of the office and let him leave as the heroic survivor.

So even other cops in the show think he's bad at his job, he demonstrates letting his preconceived notions cloud his judgement, and he relies a lot on luck to get away from his failures. Definitely seems like someone who wouldn't suspect the dorky-rear end high school teacher of being a drug kingpin until said kingpin was dumb enough to leave a book that directly links him to the drug empire laying around.

Sort of feel like you're missing the point a bit with Hank's arc, the gist of it is that he starts the show as basically just the worst kind of cop short of taking bribes and framing people for the reasons you describe, but it comes back to his fundamentally fragile masculinity and he can't really hold together his whole façade after killing Tuco. El Paso was humiliating and horrifying, in that order, and when he goes back to New Mexico he acts out more and more to try and prove his manhood, pointlessly antagonizing his friends and family and jeopardizing his job, but he also starts to show that when he can submerge his anxieties he's actually a very talented investigator that comes to the fore with him tracking the RV. Its his attempts to cut corners and flout the rules, again, which screw him over, first by not getting a warrant, and then by assaulting Jesse with the suspension that he gets from that.

The major fulcrum point for him is the Salamanca attack, where he can't rely on his bravado and institutional power and has to fight for his life with nothing but his wits and luck, and comes out of it physically crippled. This really cuts away most of the toxic masculinity that's been holding him back until then, he starts to really accept that he has to rely on other people, his wife, his partner, his coach, even Walt who he ropes into helping him with his investigations. He can't really look after himself at that point and can't do the basic functions expected of a masculine role model that he previously prided himself on, Skyler and Walt step in to help with his medical expenses and he can't even poo poo without help, but finds that with all of his free time he can really pour himself into his investigation work and starts being more open with his loved ones, being very astute in looking into Gus and sniffing out all of the little things that don't add up. If anything he's actually being too open with Walt, unknowingly stifling his investigation when Walt knows exactly what he's doing, but also seriously taking on board Walt's comments that Gale wasn't the main guy behind the blue meth. As the show goes on it shows that he's willing to go down paths that previously would have been hard to imagine like working with Jesse to try and nail Walt in the end. I think the broad point of Hank is that he's ultimately a very good cop (in an investigative sense at least) who basically has to go through the reverse of what Walt does, shedding his ego and masculine pride to find the deeper parts of himself and just be a better version of himself.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 7, 2024

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Takes No Damage posted:

Hanks instincts were sometimes on point. But that was 1 of 3 times he went into a situation alone where obviously backup would be pretty drat important. Every time Hank was directly involved in action, he really poo poo his pants and was lucky to survive against Tuco and the Twins. And he survived the turtle because he couldn't handle seeing the severed head.

Plus he got tricked by a fake hospital call when his wife had a cellphone and would be easy to verify it.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hanks instincts were sometimes on point. But that was 1 of 3 times he went into a situation alone where obviously backup would be pretty drat important. Every time Hank was directly involved in action, he really poo poo his pants and was lucky to survive against Tuco and the Twins. And he survived the turtle because he couldn't handle seeing the severed head.

Plus he got tricked by a fake hospital call when his wife had a cellphone and would be easy to verify it.

I don't know if that last one is an example, don't think anyone's first instinct when they hear their wife is in the hospital is to call her cell and make sure she's incapacitated or something.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

rkd_ posted:

I don't know if that last one is an example, don't think anyone's first instinct when they hear their wife is in the hospital is to call her cell and make sure she's incapacitated or something.

Why would it not be? Hank did nothing to verify the call was actually legit and the person calling only knew his name and his wife's name. Didn't offer anything else. Although maybe there is some bias from the show being set in the mid / late 2000s vs now and all the scam calls that are pretty normal these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Why would it not be? Hank did nothing to verify the call was actually legit and the person calling only knew his name and his wife's name. Didn't offer anything else. Although maybe there is some bias from the show being set in the mid / late 2000s vs now and all the scam calls that are pretty normal these days.

She knew his name and his wife's name; I think rushing to the hospital immediately was the sane course of action. Hank had no way of knowing that Jesse a) had his number and b) could contact someone to stage a fake phone call on short notice.

khwarezm posted:

Hank is pretty good at his job, the thing is he needed to have his tough guy exterior torn down to really start doing it correctly. Like he's right on the money with Fring, and when he finds Gale's book he immediately puts everything together with the evidence available to him about Walt and Heisenberg.

I've actually always found the Fring investigation interesting because I really can't see how Gus could have wriggled his way out. Simply killing Hanks was probably not going to work and likely would have made suspicion fall on him harder.

Did Hank actually get close to nabbing Fring? I got the impression that his bosses were telling him to lay off the wealthy man who gives lots of money to police fundraisers and has a high-priced corporate lawyer.