Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

She knew his name and his wife's name; I think rushing to the hospital immediately was the sane course of action. Hank had no way of knowing that Jesse a) had his number and b) could contact someone to stage a fake phone call on short notice.

Sugartits also identified herself as a police officer which probably lent the call extra credibility in his mind in that moment.

Chamale posted:

Did Hank actually get close to nabbing Fring? I got the impression that his bosses were telling him to lay off the wealthy man who gives lots of money to police fundraisers and has a high-priced corporate lawyer.

He brought him in for an interview, that's miles closer than any other law enforcement got. He bugged Gus' car and he was a block away from snooping around the laundromat before Walt fell on his sword to keep him away. I'd say yeah with anything other than Heisenberg Devil-Luck standing in his way he would have got him eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

khwarezm posted:

I've wondered before about the Jimmy in and out thing, like it seems pretty flimsy to me, why wouldn't the police go back and pick up Badger again when its obvious its just some con? Sorry if this is a naive question, I don't know how the law works!

My guess is that Saul said Badger really believed that guy was Heisenberg and so he fulfilled his deal. Plus I could see the police buying that a drug lord tricked a random dealer into thinking some other guy was him and so they wouldn't get anything else out of Badger even if they arrested him again.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

khwarezm posted:

<snip>
I think the broad point of Hank is that he's ultimately a very good cop (in an investigative sense at least) who basically has to go through the reverse of what Walt does, shedding his ego and masculine pride to find the deeper parts of himself and just be a better version of himself.
Great read, great analysis and insight. I really enjoyed this post.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Great read, great analysis and insight. I really enjoyed this post.

Yeah, same. Always loved reading the analyses in the BB and BCS threads

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's so obvious once you've heard it that I can't believe I'd never thought much about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When I rewatched Breaking Bad most recently I called it the Hankwatch and resolved to make Hank my favorite character by the time the show was over. It started as a joke but by the end I believed it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

When I rewatched Breaking Bad most recently I called it the Hankwatch and resolved to make Hank my favorite character by the time the show was over. It started as a joke but by the end I believed it.

I was not aware this was a outcome you'd have to aim for. Hank is loving great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I was thrilled at how much of a journey Hank went on over the course of the show, since it would have been so easy to make him an utterly one-dimensional bit of comic relief as Walt's dipshit brother-in-law who thinks he's hot poo poo but has no idea what is going on. Instead they did a great job of stripping him down to the core and showing that in spite of all his bluff and bluster, toxic masculinity and fronting what he thinks is the kind of attitude/mindset a cop "should" have... he's actually drat good at his job and has good instincts once he gets out of his own way.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

From Hank's POV, Heisenberg:

a) was powerful enough to fake his own imprisonment with Jimmy In And Out

b) was able to transport his trademark Blue Meth across state lines and all across the entire South West, as far away as Phoenix, while also making sure it didn't appear in ABQ

c) was able to have a former cartel underboss and the largest non-cartel affiliated crime boss in New Mexico assassinated by detonating a bomb in a nursing home

d) either owned or managed a gigantic secret meth superlab under a laundromat and was capable of destroying it and all evidence related to it that could have provided Hank with more leads (MAGNETS!)

e) controlled enough prisons that he could have his Nazi soldiers and other subcontractors kill ten guys within a 90 second window

Probably dozens more things I'm forgetting but these are off the top of my head. There's no way Hank would suspect his brother in law of being able to do any one of those things.

Aside from the Gail book, the biggest clue he has about Walt being the culprit is the phone call he receives outside the RV. How Jesse got his number to organise the fake hospital call drives him insane. It's probably the one thing that confirms his suspicions about Walt after reading the Gail book.

The interesting thing is that a lot of what Walt did was through Jimmy and his little black book of crime associates which lends credence to the POV that Jimmy was the actual criminal mastermind behind the operation and Walt would have been dead in 3 months without him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Marie's reaction to hearing his death confirmed is the emotional peak of the show for me too. It breaks my heart. I can't remember why but I thought her BCS cameo was kind of underwhelming.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PriorMarcus posted:

Marie's reaction to hearing his death confirmed is the emotional peak of the show for me too. It breaks my heart. I can't remember why but I thought her BCS cameo was kind of underwhelming.

Yeah, but in the context of the show, what else would she have done?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It was heartbreaking to watch Marie's reaction to Saul worming his way out of the charges.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I read Hank as being competent when he's not getting in his own way, but I don't get the impression that he's "really drat good" at his job at his peak because his "really drat good" bits tend to rely on luck or Walter screwing up. He survived the Turtle Bomb because he went to the side to vomit, he only started investigating Gail because Marie was stealing and the cop asked Hank to look into the case, he only dug deeper on Gail (leading to Fring) when Walt told him there could be a real mastermind, and he discovered that Walt is Heisenburg by happening to find the book Gail gave Walt that Walk kept around. He's definitely not bad at his job, but the stuff where he comes to a really great conclusion or solves something no one else has come from luck or Walt's ego.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

In a show that otherwise handled the legal aspect extremely well (I know SEVERAL Chucks and they do in fact use words like "chicanery") they insanely fumbled by choosing to bring her character back during plea negotiations. You would never ever do that. You're trying to work out a plea bargain and you bring the victim in? Of course she says you guys need to shut this down and throw the book at the creep who killed my beloved husband. The whole thing makes her return very strange and awkward.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i liked the marie scene

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Probably my favorite Hank scene is the one where Hank has a panic attack at the precinct and the sound of the car from his encounter with Tuco comes back like a heartbeat. This show did a great job of having its events affect the characters afterward. That plane crash remembrance ribbon sticks around on Saul's lapel for a long time (it's good business).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://youtu.be/b5RjmbAJ034?si=1wjX_u3th9FvzmIB

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The other cops got killed by a turtle so I would take their opinions with a grain of salt.

in a world where mutant turtles can cut you in half with a ninjatō and then have a celebratory italian meal, I don't think it's fair to criticize our turtle time first responders

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Tortuga's head bomb is memorable, but it was also the kind of thing that felt like an early season shock value moment since there's no way that the Cartel would just attack the DEA like that, which is something that's acknowledged later on when Gus approves the Twins attempt to kill Hank because such a major overstepping of boundaries brings additional heat that helps remove Bolsa for him.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

khwarezm posted:

Tortuga's head bomb is memorable, but it was also the kind of thing that felt like an early season shock value moment since there's no way that the Cartel would just attack the DEA like that, which is something that's acknowledged later on when Gus approves the Twins attempt to kill Hank because such a major overstepping of boundaries brings additional heat that helps remove Bolsa for him.

Maybe that's when the DEA became off limits?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Different rules closer to the border?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its very rare for Cartels to attack US agents in organizations like the DEA, especially compared to what they are willing to do to their Mexican equivalents. The highest profile DEA agent killed on the job was Kiki Camarena, and there was also Jaime Zapata who was part of ICE. In both cases they were killed in Mexico in confusing circumstances and caused major blowback nevertheless. Even just US civilians are very much to be avoided in Cartel violence, we saw that last year in a particularly bizarre situation.

The bomb attack in Breaking Bad would be completely suicidal for the Cartel in the show, since its a planned attack on the agency, killing a least one person and seriously injuring many others, that seems to be in the United States, over something as relatively minor as a snitch being found. It would cause an absolutely massive response from the US agencies, at the very least Eladio would probably be arrested. It sort of stands in contrast to the attack on Hank where the ramifications are made much clearer with Bolsa (and presumably the rest) losing their poo poo over an unauthorised and extremely provocative attack like that bringing tons of heat on them and the result being at least one of their high ranking members made a sacrificial lamb by the Mexican police.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I always thought they were just over the border into Mexico when that went down, explaining why the cartel felt like they could go that big. But even if so it was a bunch of American agents that got turtle'd so either way there would have been a heavy US response. Of course the cartel might not have known exactly who Tortuga was talking to and assumed it was just the local federales, if they also call that department DEA.

It's definitely something that's exaggerated for TV, as were many things in The Worst BB Season (but still pretty drat good).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Hank got better at his job throughout the show. Early on we see him start to do more than season one nothing cop work after his serendipitous luck killing Tuco nets him a more important job ( which he's competent at and shows aptitude at times ). Remember, most cops don't have their most trusted family member undermining every last move.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i don’t inow why we’re all assuming cartel involvememt like turtles don’t just blow up sometimes

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i don’t inow why we’re all assuming cartel involvememt like turtles don’t just blow up sometimes

It's the God drat algorithm feeding the turtles extreme content and radicalizing them.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

It's the God drat algorithm feeding the turtles extreme content and radicalizing them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just rewatched part of Breaking Bad S05E11 "Confessions," and it's the one where Jesse almost gets disappeared and asks Saul if he gets to pick where he goes. Saul recommends Florida: "You want a suggestion? How 'bout Florida? Get a tan, meet the Swedish bikini team... You know, swim with the dolphins?"

Wonder who else was in Florida at the time..

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If I'm lucky, a month from now, best case scenario, I'm managing a standpipe company in Orlando.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Standpiper

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

Standpiper

:hmmyes:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
1. it was a tortoise.
2. the DEA agents may have had bananas and if you've ever seen a tortoise that wants a banana you'd know this poo poo happens often

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

1. it was a tortoise.
you mean tortuga. that's danny trejo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cranappleberry posted:

1. it was a tortoise.
2. the DEA agents may have had bananas and if you've ever seen a tortoise that wants a banana you'd know this poo poo happens often

According to the episode podcast they baited the tortoise around with lettuce leaves, he would just beeline towards them ignoring the crew.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

it's true, i was at a zoo once doing a meet and greet for their big tortoise and it would not stop hounding the zookeeper giving the speech for a carrot

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
tortoises will ignore food if someone they trust offers them neck scratches. This tragedy could have been avoided.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Y'know, I never really noticed how little Juan Bolsa was in BrBa. It's like a few scenes here and there in S3, including when the federales take him out while he's on the phone with Gus, and... I think he's in the flashback when Gus and Max go to Eladio's, but maybe not.

Meanwhile, it feels like he's all over the place in BCS, whenever Gus' storyline is involved. Not complaining or anything, I guess I got used to him being there a lot, and then he's barely shown in BrBa.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

tortoises will ignore food if someone they trust offers them neck scratches. This tragedy could have been avoided.

I'm pretty sure the Twins scratched Tortuga's neck.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Y'know, I never really noticed how little Juan Bolsa was in BrBa. It's like a few scenes here and there in S3, including when the federales take him out while he's on the phone with Gus, and... I think he's in the flashback when Gus and Max go to Eladio's, but maybe not.

Meanwhile, it feels like he's all over the place in BCS, whenever Gus' storyline is involved. Not complaining or anything, I guess I got used to him being there a lot, and then he's barely shown in BrBa.

He also gives Tortuga the tortoise, in a flashback as well that establishes the twins as a threat. And I think he has some scenes acting as a go between for Gus and the Salamancas.

He's definitely there when Max is killed, with a toupee so we know he's a sprightly young man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

khwarezm posted:

He also gives Tortuga the tortoise, in a flashback as well that establishes the twins as a threat. And I think he has some scenes acting as a go between for Gus and the Salamancas.

He's definitely there when Max is killed, with a toupee so we know he's a sprightly young man.

Yeah, those were the s3 scenes I meant, the tortuga ones. He's the one painting the words on the shell, isn't he? He's the one that brings tortuga to the back room, I remember.