Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I have a hard time believing that ownership cares about these little offset language issues or % of deferrals. It's such nothing issues.

I mean if not that, what's the explanation? Coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It generally happens more than you'd think . . . remember Roquan Smith and several others last year. Among the first round picks this year, it looks like Bosa, Williams and Burns have yet to sign. Seems like the main issue in all these cases is they want the bonuses for their entire rookie contracts up front. Devin White just got a 19 million dollar signing bonus as the 5th overall pick, so it isn't chump change. I'm assuming teams don't really want to pay that all at once, but agents are obviously pushing for it because it's one of the few areas they have input into on regarding the contract.

Still, if you believe in a guy enough to draft him, you just gotta pay him. They're still indentured servants working way below their value under the rookie wage scale, just pay them the loving money. Never really understood why teams won't, my best theory is it's just them trying to show who's boss but otherwise I can't see what you get from it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

I mean if not that, what's the explanation? Coincidence?

I don't think they changed the person who negotiates the contracts since the old regime.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Maybe I'm dumb as hell but isn't that usually the GM's job?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fsif posted:

Maybe I'm dumb as hell but isn't that usually the GM's job?

It is, although it's ownership's money that's being spent and therefore if they want to interfere they can. More specifically, there's usually a dedicated contract guy that negotiates these things with instructions from the GM or, in certain situations, ownership.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

My daughter has renounced the Panthers and is in love with the Buffalo Bills. To the point where we have to sing the shout song before bed.

Poor girl is doomed to a lifetime of heartbreak.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My daughter roots for the Dolphins "because the colors are better" and well, I can't really argue with her there

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

waah posted:

My daughter has renounced the Panthers and is in love with the Buffalo Bills. To the point where we have to sing the shout song before bed.

Poor girl is doomed to a lifetime of heartbreak.

The Star Lotulelei fan club is for life

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1154467172149858304

He missed 1 day of practice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Acceptable. Like we said, just don't let it drag out whatever happens.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
And that missed 1 day of practice is going to cost them the wildcard.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bummer. Was hoping he'd miss Week 1.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

bless ya, thank ya

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

And that missed 1 day of practice is going to cost them the wildcard.

Unbeknownst to everyone, during that missed day of practice a position coach would've given Quinnen Williams a piece of advice that would eventually turn him into a hall of famer. Denied this opportunity, he will have two unimpressive seasons before consecutive injuries forced him out of the league

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Docjowles posted:

My daughter roots for the Dolphins "because the colors are better" and well, I can't really argue with her there

You better never let her spring break in Miami my friend

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

You better never let her spring break in Miami my friend

I am not a tyrannical perpetuator of the patriarchy, and she may spring break where she pleases in like 13 years, friend :colbert:

Also if I try to force her back to the Pats, she’s just gonna become more aware of Gronk and his antics, so

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1154728817153499136?s=20

sure?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Did any Dolphins WR actually play 16 games last year?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Is Albert Wilson still injured or will he be back for the start of the season at least?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Play posted:

Is Albert Wilson still injured or will he be back for the start of the season at least?

They are easing him back in, but yeah he's healthy. He should start working out with the team soon.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Play posted:

The injury he suffered from has no real recovery window, more of a wait and see approach. He’s apparently pretty good to go but phew when we lost him we lost A LOT of our short game

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Being drug tested 2 days is a row is ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1155147046397075457

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

That's… incredibly odd. I wouldn't think that sitting out for a year would warrant this sort of petty retribution from the league, but I'm struggling to think of other explanations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Isn't he in the substance abuse program or whatever it's called because of his previous suspensions?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I suppose it's plausible that the NFL doesn't like players who buck the system successfully, although it seems amazingly petty even for the NFL.

For sure they were going after Reid last season, I have absolutely no doubt about that so they are willing to use drug tests as a weapon and a tool of control.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the two days in a row thing is to see if the guy's a moron who juices because he thinks he's safe for a bit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Jets' OL depth is already kinda worrisome and they lost their 6OL for the season today. So that isn't great.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The Dolphins fired their O line coach a week into camp

God I hope it's not a sex/drugs/bullying thing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

tarbrush posted:

The Dolphins fired their O line coach a week into camp

God I hope it's not a sex/drugs/bullying thing.

I saw in another thread that they weren't happy with his ability to implement the new scheme, brought in a young guy to help him but he was just so bad they promoted the young guy. Could be a cover but probably not.

If anything it's promising for Flores because, like some other folks mentioned, you need to be willing to acknowledge your mistakes and fix them when they happen.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He’s not really young. He was the oline coach for the Jets like a decade ago. Then he was with the Pats for a bit. Standard AFCe incest guy.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
51 years young.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I have no clue where Play got that story lol

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
It's from this tweet(besides the young bit)-

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1155914237501464576

They hired DeGuglielmo in February, so apparently they weren't loving around once they had concerns about Flaherty's teaching.

IMO he's the guy they should have hired all along. He was the OL coach the last time the Dolphins had a good offensive line. He helped developed Jake Long into an elite player, got the best play out of Justin Smiley and Jake Grove, got some excellent play out of Richie Incognito, and had Mike Pouncey playing well as a rookie, then managed to pull some feats like have depth guys serve as solid starters in a bunch of weird positions(taught Joe Berger to snap on the sidelines of a game, who turned in to be a solid Center for years after).

He also took over after Chris Foerster's mistress outed him mid-season and turned what was a pretty poo poo line around then(he took over and Kenyan Drake took off and the line could suddenly pass protect), and turned the Colts line around in a year(with an excellent rookie Guard, of course).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

youngER. pedantic fucks

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Sadly this thread will not see the reveal of Rubmaps Robert's Rod. It's time for a 2019 AFC East thread if someone wants to put one up.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

stop doing divisional threads IMO

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ehud posted:

stop doing threads IMO

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

stop doing divisional threads IMO

that would unacceptably cut down my posting options. keep your opinions to yourself imo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

There are like 4 posters in each thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
No other group of posters would truly understand the depths of incompetence of the non-Pats AFCE. We need our own private support group.