Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

pasaluki posted:

Has there ever been a game where both teams only scored on defense?

No doubt. Couldn't name em for you and most are probably older games but it's happened. Pretty sure I remember one from six or seven years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Amy Pole Her posted:

Bills fans Were currently texting with a certain TE (I’m with his cousin) and he said Josh Allen is the worst QB he’s ever played with lol

Allen is the 2nd coming of (fuckit im going deep)rex grossman we just need the defense to play at the level of the bears that one year and superbowl!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

pasaluki posted:

Allen is the 2nd coming of (fuckit im going deep)rex grossman we just need the defense to play at the level of the bears that one year and superbowl!

Good thing sure-handed Benjamin and uhhh sure handed Zay Jones are there to catch the ball...

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Jets are scrimmaging at Rutgers tomorrow. I will be in attendance.

Nice. What did you think? The beat is gushing over Darnold and Cannon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Nice. What did you think? The beat is gushing over Darnold and Cannon.

It's hard to get that excited as a Jets fan but gently caress did Sam look good. He moves around REALLY well inside and outside the pocket and he made a few throws that should've been long TD's that were dropped (he was playing with the 3rd team)... He did have one fumble on a lack of pocket awareness play. McCown looked like McCown, we know who he is, and Teddy looked fine but didn't do anything that really popped to me. Cannon I didn't get a great look at since we got there late and left early. The first team skill players wern't supper impressive either...

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/1026479224637599744

Josh Allen getting treated like Gibran Hamdan or Tyler Thigpen the week of the first preseason game should probably be a bigger story.

Either the coaching staff is incredibly moronic or Allen is really that loving bad.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Those things are not mutually exclusive...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1026486304211705858

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

Josh Allen getting treated like Gibran Hamdan or Tyler Thigpen the week of the first preseason game should probably be a bigger story.

Either the coaching staff is incredibly moronic or Allen is really that loving bad.

Or Peterman and AJ are just that elite!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

He couldn't be worse than Hackenberg and he played a ton in the preseason.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/1026574886494457857?s=21

Such as Section 212, Row G, Seat 8 for example.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 6, 2018

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

mcmagic posted:

He couldn't be worse than Hackenberg and he played a ton in the preseason.

"Marginally better than Hackenburg" is damning with the faintest of praise.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He's apparently been fine or better in most of his drills, I'd imagine they just don't want to baptize him by fire when there's little potential benefit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Major Ryan posted:

"Marginally better than Hackenburg" is damning with the faintest of praise.

He's going to be substantially better than Hackenberg.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
The Ringer has a really good and well-researched article on the Wildcat and it's legacy in the NFL:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/6/17654594/history-wildcat-miami-dolphins-ronnie-brown-chad-pennington-tony-sparano

I don't think I'll ever laugh at a football game as much as I laughed at that game. Like I think I hurt myself laughing after Ronnie Brown threw a touchdown.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Jonathan Fisk posted:

He's apparently been fine or better in most of his drills, I'd imagine they just don't want to baptize him by fire when there's little potential benefit

Unfortunately this seems to sound like a good idea until about week 4, when the 1-3/0-4 team bows to fan pressure, puts in the rookie 'saviour' and then makes him gun shy by getting him pounded for the next twelve weeks. Kizer got battered last year, and God only knows how Sean McVay rescued Goff after 2016.

This is me feeling sorry for Josh Allen in Buffalo, who will hopefully be more sensible and save him till he's ready.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The Ringer has a really good and well-researched article on the Wildcat and it's legacy in the NFL:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/6/17654594/history-wildcat-miami-dolphins-ronnie-brown-chad-pennington-tony-sparano

I don't think I'll ever laugh at a football game as much as I laughed at that game. Like I think I hurt myself laughing after Ronnie Brown threw a touchdown.

Yeah, that's a pretty good article, and man, that game was just hilarious. It retired so many over the hill pats defenders.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Major Ryan posted:

Unfortunately this seems to sound like a good idea until about week 4, when the 1-3/0-4 team bows to fan pressure, puts in the rookie 'saviour' and then makes him gun shy by getting him pounded for the next twelve weeks. Kizer got battered last year, and God only knows how Sean McVay rescued Goff after 2016.

This is me feeling sorry for Josh Allen in Buffalo, who will hopefully be more sensible and save him till he's ready.

I'm trying to temper my buffalo fan pessimism wrt that scenario.

A lot of what Beane/McDermott have done leads me to believe they're willing to stay the course, but Pegula apparently has a habit of inserting himself into team affairs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

What is this even supposed to MEAN? I'm pretty sure at this point quarterbacks have put the ball into every conceivably place it could be put. Is he trying to say that he has touch in addition to arm strength? Because I don't believe it.

I think really what he's saying is basically "he has a very strong arm" twice in a row with different words

e: The actual quote:

“I noticed it when we first got here,” he said. “His arm is very strong. He takes a lot of risks. He’ll put it in different holes that I haven’t seen a lot, but because his arm is so strong it gets there.”

So yeah. "Strong arm. Also: strong arm. Did I mention strong arm? Because that's a strong arm. Now let's talk about wind for a little bit"

Play fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2018

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

After kicking it around a bit I feel Ehud’s interpretation is still the correct one.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Major Ryan posted:

The Bills’ first three games are against the Ravens, Chargers, and the Vikings. The secondaries ease up considerably afterwards.

I still hate sitting rookies, but if the plan is to sacrifice the career of Peterman or McCarron in order to artificially create an incredibly low bar for Allen’s debut to clear, I would respect the Machiavellian genius of it.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

fsif posted:

The Bills’ first three games are against the Ravens, Chargers, and the Vikings. The secondaries ease up considerably afterwards.

I still hate sitting rookies, but if the plan is to sacrifice the career of Peterman or McCarron in order to artificially create an incredibly low bar for Allen’s debut to clear, I would respect the Machiavellian genius of it.

I seriously think that is the plan. The Bills have a good enough defense they just need vague competence on offense to win some games.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Play posted:

“He’ll put it in different holes that I haven’t seen a lot, but because his arm is so strong it gets there.”

“Like your rear end. Don’t talk poo poo about him or he’ll put a football right up there. And with a strong arm like that, it doesn’t matter how hard you clench. You can run, but he’ll hit you from 70 yards away. POW, right in the sphincter”

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

quote:

and Pennington underthrew him, but Cobbs had so much room that he was able to stop, collect the pass, and keep going. Lee, confused, asked Pennington how he could underthrow such a pass to a wide-open target, and Pennington said that he had never seen a player that open, and it was as though his arm didn’t know what to do.
Plus, you know, Chad Pennington.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ol noodle arm

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Catfish Noodlin posted:

This is a great read. I need to go back and watch those games.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 8, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man who would’ve thought the Patriots would act like whiny babies!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jets could use a Khalil Mack...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

everyone could use a Khalil Mack

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Jets have the money to pay him.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

I think Mack wants to play for a team actually in New York

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Just FYI: Josh Allen has a loving cannon for an arm.

A cannon that only connects every now and then, but a a loving cannon.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

waah posted:

Just FYI: Josh Allen has a loving cannon for an arm.

A cannon that only connects every now and then, but a a loving cannon.

After watching some of his throws from last night, I guess I can understand why an NFL coach would become enamored with him

I don't agree with it, but I can understand it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Josh Allen isn't going to be Hackenberg.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I thought Allen looked totally panicked on several plays and threw pretty inaccurately. Not a great showing but maybe not that bad either. It's kind of an interesting concept to see if they can have success with, a huge guy who can throw really hard to confuse and frustrate defenses and get the ball there fast. He's still got a long, long way to go imo but I'm more interested to see where it goes.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Probably just projection :grin:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I always thought Allen's career trajectory was more likely to be Gabbert's than Hackenberg's.

I don't really think you can conclude much one way or the other from last night except that 1. he is better than Hackenberg and 2. he has arm strength.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fsif posted:

I always thought Allen's career trajectory was more likely to be Gabbert's than Hackenberg's.

I don't really think you can conclude much one way or the other from last night except that 1. he is better than Hackenberg and 2. he has arm strength.

Basically, yeah. I thought it wasn't a great start, I mean 9 for 19 and several turnover-worthy plays isn't great. Some wild throws. His accuracy is still a long, long ways from where it needs to be. We did see last night why some people are excited about it but I'll believe it's possible for him to fix his accuracy when he actually does that.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He only really had two or three noticeably poor throws, and one of them was on 4th and goal trying to make a play out of nothing

More so than accuracy I think his issue is decision making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jonathan Fisk posted:

He only really had two or three noticeably poor throws, and one of them was on 4th and goal trying to make a play out of nothing

More so than accuracy I think his issue is decision making

I think it's both right now, honestly. There were only a couple obvious turnover-worthy throws but I also got the sense that there was a lot of variation based on where he was aiming. On the touchdown throw that went low, I don't think at all that it was supposed to go that low. The receiver made a great adjustment to the ball but he was actually more open over the top than down there. And the more games he plays, the more those kind of throws will be intercepted. What he has shown is the theoretical ability to fit throws into tighter windows than anyone else, which would be a huge advantage if everything else develops consistently.

So I think he's got a ways to go, but you're right in that his decision making is basically what we thought it is, he panics a bit when things go off schedule and that's a great place to start as far as improvement because it's all mental