Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm sorry Miss AFC South, but Marcus is for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I look forward to 8 Tannehill starts and Mariota going to be the Raven's backup.

It sucks because he's cool, but I feel like the offense and his health have conspired against him.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 27, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

EvilBeard posted:

Yes, just want I want from a QB with one arm, him "trucking" defenders.

don't be jealous that your quarterback cant establish the run

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

don't be jealous that your quarterback cant establish the run

My QB can throw TDs.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My QB can throw AND run for touchdowns.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

My QB was sorta a full time starter in 2015

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My QB throws TDs to himself. :smug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My QB throws them to his receivers because that's what QBs are supposed to do

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

My QB throws them to his receivers because that's what QBs are supposed to do

This dude knows what's up.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why throw a td when you can run it in?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I will say this about the AFCS, all the starting QBs are very likable. Even luck in spite of him completely owning us for his entire career

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I will say this about the AFCS, all the starting QBs are very likable. Even luck in spite of him completely owning us for his entire career

still not as bad as it was during the peak Peyton years

:smithicide:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Jack doyle

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ruston Webster is a dumbass

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Yeah, it's true. I can't hate Luck. Even Brissette was cool when he was there.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
As a TRUE AFC South fan I am against scoring touchdowns in any form.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This division is weird.

It honestly wouldn't shock me to see any of the 4 teams finishing first. Every year, there's like 4 or 5 teams that make the playoffs after missing the previous season so I know there's some sleepers somewhere. I'm not buying the Colts hype. The Texans have no offensive line, which any successful team needs and Tennessee is always weird and hard to predict with their win ugly style.

I think folks are sleeping on Jacksonville. Their D is legit and adding a QB who won't outright lose them games should be good for 2 or 3 more wins. Throw in a last place schedule, subtract the plethora of injuries they suffered last year and reuniting Foles with Defillipo, maybe they can "make" a WR better somewhere and Fournette can provide some rushing again.

They lack weapons on offense but maybe someone can up their game with a QB that can read defenses and throw guys open for a change while avoiding turnovers and outright losing games by himself. I'd say 8-8 or 7-9 is their bottom, barring injuries, and, if everything goes right, 10-6 or 11-5 isn't out of the question. 2017 wasn't a fluke IMO. The defense played well last year and nobody in this division is terrifying or unbeatable.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Foles is a bad qb

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

Foles is a bad qb

The Jags hate their RB and the WR corps is trash

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Metapod posted:

Foles is a bad qb

he almost started a full season four years ago!!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do the Jags even have a TE? Foles is good throwing to the TE, and they've rostered :tbear:

Reports have Parris Campbell on the sideline getting his thigh wrapped today. Hopefully not a hamstring injury. Soft tissue never heals right and nags all season.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

purkey posted:

he almost started a full season four years ago!!

👀👀👀

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I like nick foles but he’s not got a lot of help there. I don’t think they’ll be much better than last season. The other three teams are a crapshoot and all have a floor of like 7-9 imho. I bet whoever wins the division (the titans) will probably be 10-6.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

Foles is a bad qb

Wrong.

He's also a huge step up from Bortles.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

Wrong.

He's also a huge step up from Bortles.

I don't think this is true.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

c'mon, he's without a doubt a step up from Bortles. Foles can actually hit passes frequently. He won a loving super bowl with his deadeye passing and ability to stick in the pocket and throw under pressure. Bortles could barely hit a crossing route 5 yards in front of him

I do think this division will be a dogfight although the Colts have the best chance to be on top. Titans look about as good as they've ever looked recently, Jaguars look really crappy on offense but are probably due for a bounceback year after having bad injuries and horrible QB play last year, and Texans have Deshaun Watson, with whom anything is possible. Several teams hovering around 8-8 to 10-6 wouldn't surprise me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just found out T.J. Yates is an offensive assistant for Houston. That's pretty cool.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Play posted:

c'mon, he's without a doubt a step up from Bortles. Foles can actually hit passes frequently. He won a loving super bowl with his deadeye passing and ability to stick in the pocket and throw under pressure. Bortles could barely hit a crossing route 5 yards in front of him

I do think this division will be a dogfight although the Colts have the best chance to be on top. Titans look about as good as they've ever looked recently, Jaguars look really crappy on offense but are probably due for a bounceback year after having bad injuries and horrible QB play last year, and Texans have Deshaun Watson, with whom anything is possible. Several teams hovering around 8-8 to 10-6 wouldn't surprise me.

We're on the same page and this is how I see this division as well. Still not buying the Colts hype and feel like they might take a step back.

I live in NE Florida and am an Eagles fan but I root for and pay attention to the Jags and Foles is far and away better than Blake Bortles. Only thing he doesn't have is Blake's legs but on every other measurable he's much better. I've spent a lot of time watching them both. In the same way that weapons can make a QB better, a QB can make his weapons and team better as well and I think Nick knows how to run an offense, lead receivers, read coverages and, most importantly, largely avoid loving up.

If I'm not mistaken, Bortles has led the league in pick 6's over the last 5 years. I know he threw a lot and constantly put his defense in a hole. Nick won't do that. Plus, I DO think that coming into the locker room with a ring (over the Pats no less) carries some weight and a measure of automatic respect. That, along with being reunited with an o-coordinator that he's familiar with at least gives him a shot. The Jag's players had completely lost confidence in Bortles and it led to a lot of the locker room dissension last year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Foles is a worse leftwich and the jags dont have a good oline

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

We're on the same page and this is how I see this division as well. Still not buying the Colts hype and feel like they might take a step back.

I live in NE Florida and am an Eagles fan but I root for and pay attention to the Jags and Foles is far and away better than Blake Bortles. Only thing he doesn't have is Blake's legs but on every other measurable he's much better. I've spent a lot of time watching them both. In the same way that weapons can make a QB better, a QB can make his weapons and team better as well and I think Nick knows how to run an offense, lead receivers, read coverages and, most importantly, largely avoid loving up.

If I'm not mistaken, Bortles has led the league in pick 6's over the last 5 years. I know he threw a lot and constantly put his defense in a hole. Nick won't do that. Plus, I DO think that coming into the locker room with a ring (over the Pats no less) carries some weight and a measure of automatic respect. That, along with being reunited with an o-coordinator that he's familiar with at least gives him a shot. The Jag's players had completely lost confidence in Bortles and it led to a lot of the locker room dissension last year.

Who is Foles going to throw to? The Jags have almost zero proven quality pass catching options.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Foles is a worse leftwich and the jags dont have a good oline

EvilBeard posted:

Who is Foles going to throw to? The Jags have almost zero proven quality pass catching options.

These are definitely the concerns, but they've also lost some faces on defense although it's hard to quantify how much that will really affect them. If the O line stays healthy unlike last year it'll be a lot better, although still probably an average line at best.

The receiver situation is downright dire, though. A rookie who didn't perform as well as they hoped last year, two former undrafted guys, a guy on PUP, Terrelle Pryor, and a bunch of camp bodies. Chris Conley is probably their best looking dude and he's . . . well, kinda just a dude. Dede Westbrook and Keelan Cole have shown some things but haven't demonstrated any consistency at all. With that whole situation you've just gotta hope that those guys look a lot better with Foles throwing to them, but there's a limit to how much that will help.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
day drinkin' intensifies

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
It's about that time for a 2019 season thread if someone wants to get one up.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Legitimately confused that the argument that Foles is not any better than Bort is being made. I say this as a guy who really wanted Bort to work out for the jags but disclaimer only because he has a funny name.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Play posted:

These are definitely the concerns, but they've also lost some faces on defense

Josh Allen is going to be a beast

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Comrayn posted:

Legitimately confused that the argument that Foles is not any better than Bort is being made. I say this as a guy who really wanted Bort to work out for the jags but disclaimer only because he has a funny name.

Who is saying Foles is worse than Bortles? Being better than bort doesn't make you good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Elephanthead said Foles wasn't a huge step up from Bortles, which is how that discussion got started. I guess you could argue for days about what a "huge step up" actually means but to me the difference between the two is very significant.

Now will Foles succeed with the Jags, who loving knows. The Eagles they ain't

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Metapod posted:

Who is saying Foles is worse than Bortles? Being better than bort doesn't make you good

Wtf there was just a whole conversation on this in here but no one said he’s worse including my post you just quoted???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Maybe I can't read