Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

:siren: Please support Stardom World :siren:

Welcome to the STARDOM 5 Star Grand Prix thread! The 5*GP is one of the best possible entry points for Stardom, showing off the large chunk of the roster in easily digestible bite-size chunks. The 5 Star Grand Prix is comparable (and likely inspired) by the NJPW’s G1 Climax. The Grand Prix however, is two 8-woman blocks, with a time limit of 15 minutes per match, so its not nearly as grueling to everyone involved. The winners of each block meet in a no time limit final to decide the winner of the Grand Prix, who gets a shot at the World of Stardom championship (known as the "Red Belt").

It will run 11 shows, from August 18 to September 30, with a few matches being uploaded every day. There’s no live streaming of events, but subtitles for promos are provided (but not ring announcers or in-ring trash talk, unless storyline/match relevant). Stardom storylines are generally simple, and there are pre-match promos establishing almost every match. Last year’s 5*GP was won by Toni Storm, defeating Yoko Bito in the finals, winning the Red Belt from Mayu Iwatani shortly after.

Recent History of Stardom

At the beginning of 2018, Oedo Tai, Stardom’s band of trickster heels, were down on their luck. After months of confrontations, matches, and bad blood between them and Queen’s Quest (Io Shirai’s team of super-talented wrestlers), Kagetsu (leader of Oedo Tai) challenged them to a match for the first big show of the new year: a 5v5 match between Oedo Tai vs Queen’s Quest, the losing team would lose a member. Unfortunately for Oedo Tai, they lost Tam Nakano, the former idol they had turned into a trickster villain. This, in addition to the loss of Kris Wolf due to legit visa problems, they were down to only three members.

Kagetsu, ever the schemer, thought up a way to replenish her flagging faction: Have a faction draft. She was able to convince Stardom President Rossi Ogawa to let the three major factions split the roster into three groups: Oedo Tai, Queen’s Quest, and STARS, lead by Kagetsu, Io and Mayu Iwatani, respectively, with the winner of a 3-way match getting first pick.

Oedo Tai had first pick in the draft, and Kagetsu took her core members, and then used her advantage to steal a core member of QQ: HZK Hazuki. After both OT and QQ had finished their picks, Mayu took everyone not yet picked. Among those not picked by anyone: a minor faction called Team Jungle, lead by Jungle Kyona, who were very offended by this disrespect.

Over the next few weeks Team Jungle became more and more angry at their lack of respect, and eventually broke off from STARS with a few rookies, renaming themselves the Jungle Assault Nation (JAN). Hazuki, after initial resistance, eventually embraced her dark side, becoming a much more brutal, angry fighter than before. Io, leaving for WWE, passed the torch and the Wonder of Stardom championship (the secondary belt, the “White Belt”) to her QQ protege Momo Watanabe, losing in a hard fought match. Kagetsu won the World of Stardom title from Toni Storm, who had held it for about 9 months.

Which brings us to the 2018 5 Star Grand Prix.

Blue Stars Block
  • Mayu Iwatani (STARS)
  • Saki Kashima (STARS)
  • Momo Watanabe (Queen’s Quest)
  • Hazuki (Oedo Tai)
  • Natsu Sumire (Oedo Tai)
  • Kelly Klein
  • Nicole Savoy
  • Jamie Hayter

Red Stars Block
  • Kagetsu (Oedo Tai)
  • Jungle Kyona (JAN)
  • Tam Nakano (STARS)
  • Konami (Queen’s Quest)
  • Natsuko Tora (JAN)
  • Rachael Ellering
  • Kimber Lee
  • Utami Hayashishita

The Finals will take place September 24th. Please note that there is no live streaming of shows, but matches will be uploaded over the next week.

All notable matches below are Youtube or Dailymotion links, many of which are from Stardom World itself. (This has been cleared with Jerusalem.) If you enjoy these matches, please support Stardom World. It’s the best $7 I spend on wrestling a month. Please note that I'm not going to upload any of the 5*GP, you've got to drop the cash for that.

:siren: The official Stardom English twitter posts live results. Expect spoilers if you follow it. :siren:

STARS
STARS is the default good guy faction (called a seiki-gun in japanese) where good guys do generic good guy things.

Full roster: It’s literally everyone not mentioned below here ok

Mayu Iwatani (Blue Stars Block)
The leader of STARS, former simultaneous holder of the Red and White belts, and one of Stardom’s Big Four. Idiot savant for wrestling. Generally awkward, unnaturally flexible and nearly completely indestructible. Professional neck bumper. Master of suplexes.

Finisher: Bridging Dragon Suplex

Notable Matches:

Saki Kishima (Blue Stars Block)
Recently returned to wrestling. Energetic and flashy. I feel like she watches a lot of Ring of Honor and NJPW Juniors. Currently tag champs with Mayu (Goddess of Stardom).

Finisher: Unprettier

Notable Matches:

Tam Nakano (Red Stars Block)
Former idol, martial artist, obnoxiously cute. Formerly part of Oedo Tai, she lost a match against Momo Watanabe, where the loser had to leave their faction. Oedo Tai does not take defectors well, even unwilling ones. Kicks hard and has deathmatch experience.

Finisher: Running Knee Strike

Notable Matches:

Utami Hayashishita (Red Stars Block)
Debuting on 8/12/18, Utami is the daughter of a Japanese celebrity with 13 kids or some poo poo like that. Her pro test is the only pro test available on Stardom World.

Queen's Quest
Formerly led by Io Shirai, Queen’s Quest is the No Fun Club of Stardom. They’re serious wrestlers doing serious things. Currently leaderless, but with Momo the heir apparent (though rookie firebrand and future ace AZM [pronounced “Azumi”] would disagree), we’re yet to see exactly how QQ reforms itself without Io at the helm. Queen’s Quest’s official pattern is colored cheetah-print.
Full Roster is: Momo Watanabe, AZM, and Konami with touring gaijin Viper, Bea Priestley, and Chardonnay

Momo Watanabe (Blue Stars Block)
One of Stardom’s Big Four. Current Wonder of Stardom champion, and a potential company ace. Strong all around, with absolutely MURDEROUS kicks. She’s only 18, but she’s already great and has infinite potential.

Finisher: B-Driver / Tequila[ Sunrise

Notable Matches:

Konami (Red Stars Block)
Trained by Kana (WWE’s Asuka), Konami is a solid striker and submission wrestler. A long-time freelancer who recently signed full time with Stardom, she was inducted into Queen’s Quest in the draft. Don’t gently caress with Konami.

Finisher: Triangle Lancer (Overdrive into armbar)

Notable Matches:

Oedo Tai
Everyone’s favorite rowdy, slacker heels, Oedo Tai is LIJ combined with Team Rocket. They dance, they cheat, they steal, and they don’t give a drat about your rules. Showing up drunk to press conferences, bringing toys (both weapons and literal toys) into the ring, and using their numbers to win, they’re the most unpredictable and dangerous faction in Stardom.

Full Roster: Kagetsu, Hazuki, Sumire Natsu, Hana Kimura (touring Mexico), and Nao Yamaguchi (injured) with touring gaijin Session Moth Martina and Brandi Rhodes

Kagetsu (Red Stars Block)
World of Stardom champion, Leader of Oedo Tai, one of Stardom’s Big Four. She’s a dirty, ruthless cheater, and one of the best joshi around. Handpicked successor of joshi legend/maniac Kyoko Kimura, she’s proven herself to be a confident and powerful leader. If her backup doesn’t get you, her blue mist will.

Finisher: Oedo Coaster (450 Splash)

Notable Matches:

Hazuki (Blue Stars Block)
Formerly of Queen’s Quest, HZK was a mid-tier roster member, mostly tagging with AZM and doing a whole lot of nothing. Upon being drafted to Oedo Tai, Hazuki has come into her own, becoming meaner, more violent, and somehow even more cocky.

Finisher: Bombs Away

Notable Matches:

Sumire Natsu (Blue Stars Block)
Oedo Tai’s diva, Natsu isn’t the best wrestler. A vain, cowardly heel, what she lacks in the ring, she makes up for with attitude, cruelty, and a leather lash. Her entrance theme is a club banger, though.

Finisher: Bridging Scoop Suplex

Notable Matches:

Jungle Assault Nation (JAN)
Team Jungle, feeling (rightfully) unappreciated in STARS, split off on their own and rebranded. Dancing on the line between face and heel, they’ve got chips on their shoulders and something to prove. Pre-match, they yell “Jungle Jungle!” to psyche up, which is deeply embarrassing for anyone outside the group who may be tagging with them. Currently holding the Trios Championship (Artist of Stardom).

Full Roster is: Jungle Kyona, Natsuko Tora, and joshi legend Kaori Yoneyama with rookies Leo Onogawa and Ruaka.

Jungle Kyona (Red Stars Block)
Leader of JAN and one of Stardom’s Big Four. A “power fighter” with a lot of upper body strength (a former shotputter), Kyona is still looking for her big breakout win. She’s had a number of good-to-great matches, and is now looking for the thing to finally put her over the top. (Fun fact: Her current gear was designed by Kairi Hojo/Sane)

Finisher: Sitout Powerbomb

Notable Matches:

Tora Natsuko (Red Stars Block)
With only two years of experience under her belt, Tora has a lot of untapped potential, and a LOT of simmering rage. If anyone goes Full Heel, it’s her. Will murder you with her spear.

Finisher: Frog Splash

Notable Matches:

Touring Westerners

Kelly Klein (Blue Stars Block)
From Women of Honor, Kelly Klein is giant powerhouse striker. Don’t expect anything technical. This will be her second tour with Stardom, the first one tagging with Bea Priestley in a tag tournament.

Notable Matches:
  • :raise:

Nicole Savoy (Blue Stars Block)
The reigning champion of Shimmer and the Queen of Suplexes. Uses MMA-style matwork. This will be her second tour with Stardom

Notable Matches:

Rachael Ellering (Red Stars Block)
Daughter of wrestler and legendary manager “Precious” Paul Ellering, Rachael is an accomplished powerlifter, taking a Bronze in the 2014 World Powerlifting Federation championships. A Lance Storm trainee. This is her 3rd(?) tour with Stardom.

Notable Matches:

Kimber Lee (Red Stars Block)
An indie veteran, having held titles in 9 different promotions (5 of which concurrently), including Grand Champion of Chikara, Kimber Lee has made a name for herself everywhere. Coming off a DOA run in NXT, but we don’t talk about that.

Notable Matches:

Jamie Hayter (Blue Stars Block)
A UK native and EVE regular.

Finisher: Curb Stomp

Notable Matches:

:siren: Please support Stardom World :siren:

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Aww shucks, thanks. Stardom deserves more attention than it gets, so I hope this gets some more people watching.

Make sure you check out the three Oedo Tai vs Oedo Tai matches. Both Kris Wolf matches are very fun, and Kagetsu vs Hana is great.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Update: The official match schedule has been released.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 3, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Now that the G1 is winding down, its time to bump this with some news.

The last participant in the 5*GP has been revealed at today's show: The newly debuted Utami Hayashishita is the final participant in the Red Block.

e: added her to the OP

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 12, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Check out her debut match with Jungle Kyona. They uploaded it early instead of Mayu/Kagetsu. It was maybe the best debut match I've seen. They've also put her front and centre in the new front page image, so they're clearly really high on her.

Yeah, apparently she's only had like four months of training, but has a strong Judo background and a genuine love of wrestling. The fact she's a minor celebrity means public performance isn't new for her, either.

She's got some real potential.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The GP starts this weekend! The matches should be up over the course of the week next week.

Also, quick correction: I am an idiot, the time limit is 15 minutes, not 10.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I've got Kyona beating Hazuki, personally.

It's Kyona's time to shine.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1030416868056555520

:rip:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://twitter.com/iLikeJason_/status/1030858959501058048

The tournament has started! There's been two nights of matches so far, and they've already gotten most of the first night up.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I checked the spoilers, she wrestled today against Konami, so if she did get hurt, its not badly.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I think there's only one more match from night one left to post, and night two should be right behind.

I have a feeling that this tourney is really going to screw up my mental wrestler tiering.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Day 1 is now completely up!

coconono posted:

here's the spot where Tam's back got hosed up:

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1031942991122980864

I haven't found any news or anything of her being actually hurt. I think it was just a powerful sell to lead into the Torture Rack finish.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm caught up to current, and here's my shortlist recommendations.

Must Watches are:
Momo Watanabe/Nicole Savoy (Day 1)
Man, this match is good. Just two highly skilled wrestlers having a hell of a match.

Konami/Kagetsu (Day 1)
Absolute Murder in this one. Very stiff.

Recommended are:
Rachael Ellering/Jungle Kyona (Day 1)
Hoss off! Ellering is still pretty green, but they put together a nice physical showcase.

Momo Watanabe/Jamie Hayter (Day 2)
Jamie Hayter is really good! It's a Momo match, so its pretty much worth watching just on those merits at baseline.

Utami Hayashishita/Natsuko Tora (Day 2)
This is probably Tora's best match so far. They're both green, but they put on a really good match. Utami is probably going to kill someone with that STO though.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

Never watched a lick of Japanese women's wrestling before but if the NXT sign overs are any indication of the level of talent they have... I may have to check this out.

There's a bunch of matches linked in the op, friend!

Both Kairi Sane and Io Shirai are obviously super talents, but honestly Stardom has enough super talents that their slots filled in immediately. Momo Watanabe, Mayu Iwatani, and Kagetsu are all at the top of the card now, and are just as talented.

Smoking Crow posted:

Oedo Tai is the greatest faction in pro wrestling today

:yeah:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Day 2 is completely up now!

This weekend's shows are both on Sunday, a noon show and an evening show.

The matches I'm looking forward to most on those cards:
Konami vs Jungle Kyona
Mayu Iwatani vs Jamie Hayter
Sumire Natsu vs Momo Watanabe
Saki Kishima vs Nicole Savoy

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Super No Vacancy posted:

motion that mentioning the wwe is bannable itt

Agreed, if you really want to talk about them, go to the main Women's Wrestling thread? This is for wrestling that doesn't give you brain worms.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

Speaking of belts, what is the system here? White, silver and red? Which one is best. How many belts are there exactly? What does the winner of this tournament get? Shot at a title like in NJPW?

Yep, the winner of the tourney gets a title shot. Stardom doesn't drag it out, it'll be shortly after.

The top belt is the World of Stardom championship, known as the Red Belt. Currently held by Kagetsu.

The secondary belt is the Wonder of Stardom championship, known as the White Belt. Currently held by Momo Watanabe.

The tag team titles are the Goddess of Stardom championships, and have black straps. Currently held by Mayu Iwatani and Saki Kishima.

The Trios championships are the Artist of Stardom championships, and each one is a different pastel shade. Currently held by the Jungle Assault Nation: Jungle Kyona, Natsuko Tora and Kaori Yoneyama.

The Future of Stardom championship is for kids and rookies. It's a powder blue strap, held by Starlight Kid.

The High Speed Title seems to have been replaced by the Future title, and hasn't been defended in forever. Held by Mary Apache.

The Stardom World Alliance title is for the top gaijin regular to carry around the world and look good with. Held by Viper

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 27, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

Oh, well I found this that helped

http://www.stardom-world.com/champions/

Noticed that last years G1 winner signed with that other company's UK division. Gross.

Man I could have not typed all that :argh:

Yeah, that was kind of a weird situation. Toni won the Red Belt from Mayu in her shot for winning the 5*GP, when Mayu did her running dropkick and dislocated her arm (which is why she has the sleeve).

Toni immediately left the country for months, taking the belt with her. She defended it maybe three times over the next 9 months, which a lot of Western fans seem to resent her for. The white belt basically became the top belt for a bit, which played into the departure of Io Shirai storyline in the end, so it worked out.

Kagetsu won the red belt back only very recently.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

TV Zombie posted:

Is there an app for Stardom or do I have to log onto the website everytime?

Just the website. They've said they want an app but its not in budget range right now.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Phenix Rising posted:

I do hope Rachael and Shiki are okay after that match, though.

Yeah, looks like they bashed their heads together on Rachael's giant powerbomb. Rachael's head was bleeding pretty bad.

They both wrestled again later that night, according to the spoilers, and there's no reports of injuries, so that's a good sign.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

coconono posted:

Osaka day's handicap match was unexpectedly good. JAN's junior members are fuckin vicious.

Yeah, that was really so much better than I expected. Ruaka and Hanan have some real potential. It's too early to tell with Leo, but I like her energy.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what are like five meiko matches i should catch? i only saw her three way match at pancakes and piledrivers earlier this year but i'm hearing she has a strong rep as probably the best woman wrestler that's active today

This is the 5*GP thread, and Meiko is mostly with Sendai Girls, but she does appear on special occasions. Here's everything of hers I can find on Stardom World, newest to oldest:

Meiko Satomura vs Toni Storm
Meiko Satomura & Io Shirai vs Takumi Iroha & Yoko Bito (Bito's Retirement Match)
Io Shirai & Meiko Satomura vs Mayu Iwatani & Chihiro Hashimoto (Io's 10th Anniversary)
Io Shirai & Kairi Hojo vs Meiko Satomura & Mika Iwata (Stardom vs Sendai Girls)
Thunder Rock (Io Shirai/Mayu Iwatani) vs Kairi Hojo & Meiko Satomura
Io Shirai vs Meiko Satomura
Meiko Satomura vs Kairi Hojo

I haven't watched the older stuff, but honestly all of the participants in these are top tier, so you can't go wrong with any of them.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 3, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

It was nice to hear Stardom brought up during the Observer Report's live fan Q&A before All In when the last question was from a female fan asking why women's wrestling is terrible and where could she turn for quality stuff to get in to.

I haven't listened to that one yet, but that's good to hear. He's definitely talked up Momo on at least one occasion as being incredibly good, especially for her age.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I really like everything Jamie Hayter does besides those knees. They really are no good.

I got myself behind on my own thread, but I've been making minor notes on matches. I didn't have any Must Sees from the noon show, but both Mayu/Hayter and Momo/Natsu are both Highly Recommended.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Oh man, the top half of the 8/26 Evening show was amazing.

Konami/Jungle Kyona was nasty. They've got great chemistry, and I would love to see them fight more. Great stuff. Highly Recommended.

Natsu/Mayu was a fantasticly hilarious match. Natsu is genuinely becoming one of my favorite heels. Must Watch.

Kagetsu/Tora was a great match with good action, good comedy, and really fun storytelling. Honestly one of the most well-balanced matches I've seen in a while. Must Watch.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit I was so determined to keep up with the Grand Prix but I've still only had a chance to watch the first night. I'm not gonna be able to keep up on everything, can people post a list of recommended/must watch matches?

Here's my Highly Recommended list so far:

8/18- Rachael Ellering vs Jungle Kyona
8/18 Nicole Savoy vs Momo Watanabe
8/18- Kagetsu vs Konami
8/19- Momo Watanabe vs Jamie Hayter
8/19- Saki Kishima vs Mayu Iwatani
8/19- Natsuko Tora vs Utami Hayashishita
8/26 Noon- Momo Watanabe vs Sumire Natsu
8/26 Noon- Mayu Iwatani vs Jamie Hayter
8/26 Eve- Konami vs Jungle Kyona
8/26 Eve- Mayu Iwatani vs Sumire Natsu
8/26 Eve- Kagetsu vs Natsuko Tora
9/1- Kagetsu vs Utami Hayashishita

Must Watches are bolded. I haven't watched last weekend's yet, but I am very excited to.

e:
Finished 9/1's block matches. While I would only Recommend Kagetsu/Utami (which I added above), two others are notable:
Momo/Klein is about the best match Kelly Klein is going to have.
Konami/Ellering is notable because Ellering gets Real Mad at Konami for being so stiff and throws a temper tantrum the back half of the match. It gives her some intensity that she needs as a wrestler, but the whole thing is real weird.

Also, not a block match, but give Natsu/AZM a go. Natsu is the best lovely heel, and AZM is SUCH a tiny little bully.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 8, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

Hey Go RV!, can you post that tournament spreedsheet in an excel format or something instead of a just a picture? I've been keeping track of winners and losers and could share with everyone but my MS paint filling red/green looks pretty horrid. We could maybe figure out the standings together more easily that way.

I would, but my spreadsheet is on my personal google account and I don't want to give that out to the public. That said, its just done by hand, I haven't done any fancy spreadsheeting work for it.

Anyway, here's the Standings as of the 9/1 show.

Assorted thoughts:
Tora, Konami, Saki and Natsu are all pretty much out at this point.

Red is still wide open between Kagetsu, Kyona, Ellering, Kimber and Utami with the most potential yet, but Red is a few matches behind Blue, so that's going to shake out real quick.

Blue is a bit more narrow with Hazuki and Momo with the most potential points out there yet. Momo's loss to Natsu is going to be rough for her tiebreakers.

It's a little weird that Konami and Nicole both only have two matches left, but Kimber has five.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

I can only guess that maybe she has a legit sore shoulder or something and Konami gave no fucks and kept cranking and cranking on it over and over to the point of Rachel having had enough.

At the end, you can hear her say something like "Don't hit me so hard when I'm in the corner".

Rachel also threw a tantrum in that one Wrestlecircus match and just stopped wrestling altogether. I think she just doesn't like getting hit hard, even in safe places. I mean, I'm sure it sucks but you're wrestling with Joshi, I don't know what you're expecting there.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jerusalem posted:

Still catching up, Natsu Sumire trying to lock Mayu Iwatani outside was great, but nothing compared to Kagetsu's "3 minute match" against Natsuko Tora. Kagetsu calmly explaining why her boasting couldn't be held against her was incredible.

I think one of my favorite things about that match was Tora just sandbagging the whole 3 minutes, like a kid angry at a parent. Two top tier comedy matches.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I got behind due to a work conference last week, but big announcement

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1041901352119459840

The winner of the 5* is getting their shot a little later than usual because poo poo is going down.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DarkstarIV posted:

Incoming draw is all I have to say regarding that announcement.

Maybe, but Mayu had a long run as double champion, so I would not put it past them to actually make a change.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

TV Zombie posted:

That's a match to watch. How did Stardom manage Mayu as double champion?

So, Mayu won over Io on 6/21, and had both titles through the GP (started 8/19) until dropping the White Belt to Yoko Bito on 9/23, and then dropping the Red to Toni Storm when she dislocated her elbow the next night (which is why she wears the sleeve now).

Because it was through the GP, the reign was a bit weirder defense wise, but she defended pretty often, considering. Bito, Viper and Kagetsu all had failed shots before the GP, and I don't believe she defended during it. Her injury happened right after the GP, in Toni's reward challenge for winning.

So, three defenses in two months, not including the GP. I'm a little fuzzy on some specifics, because that was a year ago and I had just started watching then so I didn't know everyone yet.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 18, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

coconono posted:

cagematch has her at 18, which makes her 4 years older than Ruaka.

I'm not sure that's correct, Momo is 18 and Kid is so much smaller. Cagematch also has Leo at 24 which seems pretty high too.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

TV Zombie posted:

Being smaller in size doesn't mean that she can't be 18.

I do hope that AZM and Starlight Kid can have a HZK/Momo like feud because they seem like the future if they keep wrestling for a long time.

Yeah, but she definitely does not seem 18. I've heard shes a little older than AZM, so my guess is 16 tops.

But yeah, if they both stick with it, they're definitely going to be eternal rivals. They've had some pretty dang good matches thus far, especially for their experience level, and I can definitely see them going hard in a few years.

I feel bad for AZM. I think she's better than Kid, but Kid sells more merch and is generally more over with the crowd. I've considered ordering a one of her shirts, but something about buying a shirt of a 15 year old girl is just the most skeevy feeling thing.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

TV Zombie posted:

A quick search of the Stardom merchandise page doesnt' seem to show any AZM merch while Kid has the polo and the dolls. Is there other merch that they sell that's not on the website?

Huh, they must have taken it down. Used to be there, probably ran out of stock or something. This is the shirt she used to have up, thanks GIS.

I don't know if they have live-show-specific merch, one of the Japan posters will have to fill us in on that.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

So, 9/24 is the final day of the 5*GP! Thanks everyone who's watched and given Stardom money. 9/24 is an interesting show, because they've saved some of the the biggest feuds for the last day. Here's a quick rundown of the who and whys of Monday's tourney matches.

Kagetsu vs Tam Nakano
This one is my most looked forward to match. Tam was removed from Oedo Tai at the beginning of the year, and Oedo Tai proceeded to Whip Her rear end for like 3 months. I don't think we ever got a proper Kagetsu vs Tam singles, so this will proooooobably be a hard hitting grudge match.

Momo Watanabe vs Mayu Iwatani
The two Aces of Stardom battle it out. This is going to be fuckin amazing. I don't have anything in particular to say about this beyond that, but this is gonna be goooooood.

Natsuko Tora vs Jungle Kyona
Hazuki vs Sumire Natsu
Both of these are interesting because they're intra-faction fights. Tora/Kyona will probably be a small hoss-off, and Hazuki/Natsu will probably start comedy and then go hard for a little bit

Saki Kishima vs Jamie Hayter
I really like Hayter, and I think her and Saki should be able to do a pretty dang good match. Should be a good style mesh, I think.

Utami Hayashishita vs Konami
This is where you can see that Utami was slotted in at the last minute replacing Viper. If it was Viper, this would have been a QQ vs QQ match. It's just kind of there right now though. I don't think we've seen Utami against a striker like Konami yet, though.

Nicole Savoy vs Kelly Klein
Rachael Ellering vs Kimber Lee
Throw the gaijin together, it's fine. Hopefully Kimber can get something out of Ellering, but I'm not big on either in this tourney. Nicole has her work really cut out for her though.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 21, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Finally able to catch up, and goddamn 9/9 is a SHOW.

Sumire Natsu vs Saki Kishima Hanan is a great match. Natsu is so good at being a lovely comedy heel. Her getting herself hoisted by her own petard, giving Hanan her first win against a non-rookie is one of the feel-good moments of the year

The three way tag was good, but the Savoy/Ellering friendship and Hana coming at the queen Prime Minister makes it extra fun.

Tora and Tam WAY fuckin' overperformed on their match. This was a blood feud before the bell even rang. I didn't expect to give Tora/Tam a must watch, but fuckin, Must Watch. Tora's matches are hit and miss, but when she's hitting, shes hitting hard.

Utami/Kyona is real good. Kyona is a real good power gal with a believable offense, and Utami sells like a champ the back half of the match.

Must Watch for Momo/Hazuki, as if anyone expected anything different. Momo is so goddamn crisp, and everything Hazuki does looks savage. I totally buy that these two hate each other. This feud rules and should last forever. Evil Hazuki is so loving good. Having two time limit draws with the exact same finish back to back is a weird, bad idea, but you gotta do what you gotta do make the math and scheduling work I guess

I watched the block matches for 9/15 too, but neither of them jumped out at me. Maybe I'll go back and watch the tags some other time, but I've still got one more show to get through.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The Finals of the tournament is up early, when there's a big match, they generally throw it up before the rest.

:siren: If you don't want to know who wins the blocks, don't click on the finals block on the match listing! :siren:

e: FINAL MATCH SPOILERS
The final match was... fine. It was fine. I wouldn't even say it was a highly recommended one if it was just a block match. Mayu bumped around for Utami like a goddamn pinball, though. They really attached a rocket to Utami this tourney, considering she had literally only one match previous to this. I hope it pays off, because she's good, but she's still very green. But since Mayu just faced Kagetsu right before the GP, this probably means that Momo is going to take both belts this weekend.

Super excited to see the rest of the card.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Yeah, I dunno. Last year, they had the logo with "Red Stars Winner vs Blue Stars Winner" for the final match. I'm not sure why they didn't do that again this year. Seems like a pretty big oversight.

They've fixed it now, though.

What they've been doing is, since the Twitter spoils things as they occur, they try and get the big matches up first, so that people don't have to wait. Like when Kagetsu won the title, they put that one up the next day, rather than making us wait for them to finish the previous show and then the show that mained.

They should have labeled it better, but I do think it's a good thing overall.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 26, 2018

• Locked thread