Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Last year's 5* was pretty good but didn't get a lot of buzz. Great fuckin OP.

Here's last year's show. IIRC Tam Nakano's performance is worth a look.

http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-19-2017-shinkiba/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-20-2017-shinkiba/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-26-2017-osaka/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/8-27-2017-hamamatsu/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-02-2017-yokohama/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-03-2017-niigata/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-10-2017-shinkiba/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-16-2017-takaoka/
http://www.stardom-world.com/2017-2/9-18-2017-korakuen-hall/

coconono fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I guess the judo background would explain her transitions between moves already being so good maybe, I don't really know. Her selling was also way too good for someone only four months in.

She's clearly been prepared well in other aspects too. Like compare her gear to someone like Leo's (lmao). She's also got all her hand signs and stuff down.

I watched the match and while I wasn’t floored by it, I didn’t realize she was only 4 months in. That was an amazingly impressive showing. Most people 4 months in would trip over their own bootlaces.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got Mayu vs Kagetsu in the finals with a coinflip to decide it. I’d like to see Kagetsu get the nod.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SalTheBard posted:

So if you subscribe to STARDOM's streaming service are the shows live or on demand?

on demand. each match opens with subtitled promos from each of the contestants so Stardom is by far the most accessible of the japanese promotions.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom’s English twitter is tweeting match results so if you’re trying to catch the matches cold, best to avoid.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Natsu Sumire vs Jamie Hayter is the standout so far. I wasn't as familiar with Hayter(I had her confused with Erin Angel) but she did a lot of violence! Sumire dished out some too. Absolute scrappy affair.

E: Tam may be seriously hurt. I've never heard her shriek like that.

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 19, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ok so maybe the planned finish was to eat a gnarly slam, and scream a whole lot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The size difference between Rachel Ellering and Jungle Kyona was pretty wild. More matches are up btw.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

here's the spot where Tam's back got hosed up:

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1031942991122980864

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kinda bummed that outside of Oedo Tai, no one is really talking poo poo in these prematch promos.

anyway, here's my spoiler free review of night 1:

01 Five Way Battle
Starlight Kid vs Shiki Shibusawa vs Leo Onozaki vs Hanan vs Ruaka
cute its a kid's rumble, worth watching if you enjoy child fighting.

02 Red Stars
Kimber Lee vs Natsuko Tora
must see Great opener. Both Lee and Tora hit real fuckin hard.

03 Blue Stars
Natsu Sumire vs Jamie Hayter
must see Surprisingly fighty! Natsu wasn't ready for a fight but caught on quickly. My match of the night pick.

04 Red Stars
Utami Hayashishita vs Tam Nakano
tam time! Utami is gonna be their next ace and Tam does what she does best.

05 Blue Stars
Saki Kashima vs Hazuki
good this was a case of very cruel matchmaking.

06 Red Stars
Jungle Kyona vs Rachael Ellering
must see Jungle gets put on the back foot for once by being the smaller competitor.

07 Blue Stars
Momo Watanabe vs Nicole Savoy
must see looked like a mismatch on paper but Momo does not care. Momo will kill you and eat your candy. beware Momo. Savoy is loving awesome. great match.

08 Blue Stars
Kelly Klein vs Mayu Iwatani
good Kelly always looks better outside of ROH and this showing was no different. Not a spectacular battle but fun. If Kelly Klein worked at a faster pace, I would like her more. She ragdolled Mayu impressively.

09 Red Stars
Kagetsu vs Konami
must see Would have been match of the night had Hayter and Natsu not tried to murder each other. A heated battle from a pair that always delivers.

coconono fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 22, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom book Jamie Hayter more, please.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

another spoiler free match review of Night 2!

01 Five Way Battle
Starlight Kid vs Shiki Shibusawa vs Leo Onozaki vs Hanan vs Ruaka
CHILD FIGHTING The kids fight again.

02 Blue Stars
Natsu Sumire vs Nicole Savoy
good Natsu is sneaky and violent but Savoy's just fuckin violent.

03 Blue Stars
Momo Watanabe vs Jamie Hayter
must watch Momo and Hayter bring the heat in this one.

04 Red Stars
Jungle Kyona vs Kimber Lee
must watch Both Jungle and Kimber are fired up for this confrontation and its a lot burly business.

05 Red Stars
Utami Hayashishita vs Natsuko Tora
good Utami is growing on me. Its of note that for whatever reason but JAN members(Jungle and Tora) looked like they overslept and hastily made it to the venue. Not sure if that's a storyline thing or just poo poo that happened.

06 Red Stars
Tam Nakano vs Konami
Tam Time! Tam's back is pretty heavily taped but she's as game as always, especially against a dangerous competitor like Konami. Match of the night pick.

07 Blue Stars
Hazuki vs Kelly Klein
Must watch Kelly seems to have found her bearings in the stardom ring but Hazuki doesn't give a poo poo. She wants to hurt you, Kelly. Did it hurt? Because that poo poo looked like it hurt. Great fight.

08 Blue Stars
Mayu Iwatani vs Saki Kashima
good I didn't enjoy this match as much as I wanted to. They both seemed to go through the motions, which were still pretty good motions but not quite the fireworks Mayu usually brings.

09 Red Stars
Rachael Ellering vs Kagetsu
must watch Ellering hasn't quite found her killer instinct in the ring but is still enough of a physical threat that a possibly banged up Kagetsu has to put in the work to stay game. Great finish and good post match stuff.

Overall a pretty good show. They're starting to heat up in the ring a lot more but still a little too much breathing and pacing issues for what the stakes are. Of the gaijin, Kimber Lee and Hayter are really bringing the fire. The others aren't quite there yet. Of the regular Stardom roster, Hazuki and Momo are standouts. Kagetsu and Utami are also slated for a confrontation that'll be the real test to see if Utami can hang with the Stardom crew or be one of "Rossy's faves"

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 26, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

after night 2 here are the point standings:

Red https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1033599303137128448
Blue https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1033017175257141249

Warning, Stardom has already tweeted the next 2 show results, so be very careful if you're trying to remain unspoilered!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TV Zombie posted:

Have people every gone 0 for.the tournament?

Yes.

Hiromi Mimura goose egged the 2016
Haruka Kato, Kris Wolf 2015

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kagetsu is the coolest and the best. That's why she's the champ. If she's given half a chance she'll run away with the match. Her performance this GP is no exception. I hope her neck is only kayfaybe hosed and not realsies.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Osaka day's handicap match was unexpectedly good. JAN's junior members are fuckin vicious.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Natsu is incredibly entertaining. She's a very expressive performer and just a ton of fun.

She's gotten way better recently. When she first started with STARDOM she wasn't as confident in her work and it showed. The last few months is where she's really hit her stride.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

FInished out the day show, good stuff again. Jamie Hayter still continues to impress even if she whiffed a few knees.

01 Red Stars
Konami vs Natsuko Tora
skip this was just a bad match, sorry.

02 Handicap Match
Hazuki & Kagetsu vs Hanan, Ruaka & Leo Onozaki
good the junior members of JAN are fuckin savages

03 Trios Match
Utami Hayashishita, Starlight Kid & Shiki Shibusawa vs Rachael Ellering, Kelly Klein & Kimber Lee
good The rookies stand tall against the towering gaijin. There's a headclash towards the end that gets bloody

04 Blue Stars
Saki Kashima vs Nicole Savoy
skip boring! Saki does nothing for me, and Nicole just isn't aggressive at all.

05 Blue Stars
Natsu Sumire vs Momo Watanabe
must watch Natsu and Momo go to war.

06 Red Stars
Jungle Kyona vs Tam Nakano
TAM TIME Match of the show. Jungle and Tam beat the ever living piss out of each other

07 Blue Stars
Mayu Iwatani vs Jamie Hayter
good Another battle match, sadly the crowd doesn't pop for poo poo.

coconono fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 1, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I keep expecting Klein to go full Stan Hansen but she never quite closes the deal.

Kimber is cool but yeah she's not wowing me this tournament run.

Ellering has moments, but like Klein she never really gets super aggressive.

Savoy just looks bored with the whole thing.

Kyona had a rough start but she definitely got her fire back.

I think but Konami and Mayu are a lot more banged up than they're letting on because of them are having mobility issues.

So far my faves are Hayter, Tam and Natsu. HM to Kagetsu and Kyona.

Ruaka and Leo are owning those opener matches, I can't wait for them to become adults and wreck shop.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

She really shines in the singles matches but that Thunder Rock tag is really good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Smoking Crow posted:

kagetsu is really good why aren't more people talking about kagetsu outside of like

us

She's doesn't do a lot of outside dates, Total Divas Gifs twitter gives her love when they cover Stardom tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the matches on Osaka Night are a lot more violent. Savoy had a great match against Hayter and Kelly Klein did some kneebased dental surgery.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Osaka Night was definitely the top to bottom card to watch. Good mix of violence and shenanigans.

01 Three Way Battle
Hazuki vs Ruaka vs Leo Onozaki
Good Hazuki tries threats and bribes to divide JAN's Juniors against each other. What ensues would be considered child abuse if outside of the confines of professional wrestling.

02 Blue Stars
Nicole Savoy vs Jamie Hayter
Must Watch I enjoyed a Savoy match! She and Jamie throw down.

03 Blue Stars
Saki Kashima vs Kelly Klein
good Saki gets thrown to the wolves in this one. I fuckin love it.

04 Four Way Tag
Momo & Utami vs Rachael & Kimber vs Hanan & Shiki vs Tam-Kid
good/TAM TIME The big gaijin find themselves in a dangerous war between adorable murderers.

05 Red Stars
Jungle Kyona vs Konami
Must Watch Konami and Jungle have great chemistry and go haaaard.

06 Blue Stars
Mayu Iwatani vs Natsu Sumire
SHENANIGANS Natsu does her usual schtick and then things get wild. Would be match of the night.

07 Red Stars
Kagetsu vs Natsuko Tora
MUST WATCH Stardom shelled out money so you could watch a timer count down because Kagetsu said if she can't beat Natsuko in 3 minutes, she'll let Natsuko win. Because they're in Osaka, home of Nissan Instant Cup Noodles. Crowd got rowdy for this one so its match of the night.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got pretty excited when I found out they serve instant noodles at the show. Double fisting some Nissan Original and yelling at wrestlers sounds awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit I was so determined to keep up with the Grand Prix but I've still only had a chance to watch the first night. I'm not gonna be able to keep up on everything, can people post a list of recommended/must watch matches?

Keep WWE chat to the WWE thread please.

outside of the Osaka Night show, you can safely get away with watching the main events. I haven't seen all of Yokohama or the latest Shinkiba show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I can't tell wtf KONAMI did to Rachel but she needs to do that more. gently caress people up, Rach.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you gotta get over before you can tell ppl not to hit you so hard. Like Jimmy Valiant levels of over.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IIRC she defended against Kagetsu on GP show in a non-tournament match. But that was a lifetime ago so I may have the ordering messed up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Just gave HM to the Tam Nakano vs Natsuko Tora match from 9/9 holy hell that was wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phenix Rising posted:

How old is Starlight Kid? She's in that same rookie grouping as Ruaka and Leo but seems way more advanced and polished than either of them.

Also, that double title match is going to be bonkers.

cagematch has her at 18, which makes her 4 years older than Ruaka.

• Locked thread